Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Cyber Monday Deals are Now Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Star Trek 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.99
5 hrs ago
Friday the 13th: 8-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Batman Beyond: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$60.99

Black Sails: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II: The Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Braveheart 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$19.49

The Mummy Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Avatar - The Last Airbender: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$81.31

Jack Ryan 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Mission: Impossible - 6 Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$23.12

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 12-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #81

Jan 2011
Kansas
Send a message via AIM to thedrucifer

I'm no seasoned reviewer, but IMHO When A Stranger Calls is a pretty dramatic improvement over the old DVD. I remember my DVD being so dark that there were times where it was almost unwatchable, and that's much less of an issue on the blu. Also, color and crispness seem pretty good.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #82
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2011
Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrucifer View Post
I'm no seasoned reviewer, but IMHO When A Stranger Calls is a pretty dramatic improvement over the old DVD. I remember my DVD being so dark that there were times where it was almost unwatchable, and that's much less of an issue on the blu. Also, color and crispness seem pretty good.
Thank you, I will now begin my fiendish scavaging of Walmarts for the $5 When A Stranger Calls / Happy Birthday to Me blu-ray double feature in the Houston, TX area. It's encouraging to hear they made it as far as San Antonio.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #83
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrucifer View Post
Is the audio 2 Channel Mono Uncompressed? (Which I am fine with as long as it is uncompressed. I have the soundtrack for When a Stranger Calls which I think is creepy.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #84

Aug 2012
Ptown

When A Stranger Calls looks very good on BLU. I remember the film had a lot of grain when it was originally released in 1979, so I believe this looks accurate. Great to have this on BLU RAY!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #85

Aug 2012
Ptown

Walmart seems to have the same large display box in every store. There were plenty of Mill Creek double feature BLU titles available with many multiple copies. Walmart seems to be the only retailer with these in stock.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #86
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Pittsburgh

I just found this thread. I've never seen When a Stranger Calls but I like Happy Birthday to Me so I'll have to pick this up. It's at Wal-Mart, right (ugh)? How much is it?
Old 12-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #87

Aug 2012
Ptown

The Mill Creek double features at Walmart are $5.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #88
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2012
USNA

Notice how these threads come alive whenever there's an out-of-left-field release, especially if it's horror films? Imagine if instead of giving one retailer an exclusive window, how many more copies would be sold if these were widely available. I'll never understand the reasoning behind these exclusives.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #89
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2011
Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cine74 View Post
I'll never understand the reasoning behind these exclusives.
I imagine Wal-mart being a massive chain is not likely to carry old catalogue title blu-ray reissues like Hudson Hawk or Happy Birthday to Me unless they get a good wholesale price and/or exclusive period to further drive business their way. I am actually surprised there are not more exclusives because a retailed like Wal-Mart carrying the title (exclusive or not) will get a lot more exposure to the "common man," I imagine Wal-Mart's inventory (movies or otherwise) has a subtle but profound impact on popular culture.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:47 PM   #90
Banned

Feb 2010
St. Paul Minnesota

I just got the When a Stranger Calls / Happy Birthday to Me and The Hollow Man double pack.

Yes, Happy Birthday to Me features the original soundtrack. It is also listed as being in 2.0 when it actually is on disc as 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio.

Unfortunately the 5.1 track for the first Hollow Man film is incorrect they encoded. It has the center channel track spread across the 3 front channels.
This is an obvious error on Mill Creek's end.

Why aren't any of these in the database?
Old 12-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #91
Expert Member

Sep 2010
Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post
I just got the When a Stranger Calls / Happy Birthday to Me and The Hollow Man double pack.

Yes, Happy Birthday to Me features the original soundtrack. It is also listed as being in 2.0 when it actually is on disc as 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio.

Unfortunately the 5.1 track for the first Hollow Man film is incorrect they encoded. It has the center channel track spread across the 3 front channels.

How does "Happy Birthday To Me" look on blu-ray?
Old 12-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #92
Power Member

Jul 2010

Quote:

So glad to hear that. Now, I just have to find it.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #93
Banned

Feb 2010
St. Paul Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Dig View Post
How does "Happy Birthday To Me" look on blu-ray?

Like all Sony titles that weren't digitally recolored to look like "The Walking Dead", so pretty good.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:08 PM   #94
Expert Member

Sep 2010
Norway

Quote:
Like all Sony titles that weren't digitally recolored to look like "The Walking Dead", so pretty good.
Thanks! Need this one!
Old 12-27-2012, 11:53 PM   #95
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

Quote:
I'm in MN here also can you tell me which location you found the titles at?
Old 12-28-2012, 12:19 AM   #96
Banned

Feb 2010
St. Paul Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowellPressburger View Post
I'm in MN here also can you tell me which location you found the titles at?
Eagan.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:24 AM   #97
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2012
SE MI.

I love what I'm reading about Stranger/Birthday, no-brainer for me now!

Any other Truth or Consequences fans here? How does that fare on blu? I recall it being an ugly dirty film, or maybe just an ugly dvd. Worth an upgrade if I have the dvd with the widescreen side (which I do)? If it's with Replacement I might get it anyway, as long as Replacement isn't the studio extended cut. Hell, how do both look?

If I buy these will I be supporting Sony again, or do sales only affect Mill Creek? Gonna be hard to pass up movies I love for pennies, impossible even.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:32 AM   #98
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Fort Scott, KS

Imagine how much easier life would have been of Mill Creek had the rights to Fright Night, Christine, Night of the Living Dead and The Blob remake lol. Getting those movies for $5 with pretty much the same transfer and extras as the $35 release would be a blessing
Old 12-28-2012, 01:48 AM   #99
Banned

Feb 2010
St. Paul Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubunkey View Post
Imagine how much easier life would have been of Mill Creek had the rights to Fright Night, Christine, Night of the Living Dead and The Blob remake lol. Getting those movies for $5 with pretty much the same transfer and extras as the $35 release would be a blessing
In a way, I both love and furiously hate Twilight Time.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:53 AM   #100
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cine74 View Post
Notice how these threads come alive whenever there's an out-of-left-field release, especially if it's horror films? Imagine if instead of giving one retailer an exclusive window, how many more copies would be sold if these were widely available. I'll never understand the reasoning behind these exclusives.
Mill Creek is practically in the back pocket of Walmart, by far the biggest retail outlet for their cheap products. It wouldn't surprise me if Walmart had a hand in selecting what movies Mill Creek was going to license from Sony.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Tags
columbia pictures, mill creek, sony pictures