Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Knives Out 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
4 hrs ago
Star Trek 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.99

The Perils of Gwendoline in the Land of the Yik Yak (Blu-ray)
$22.22
36 min ago
Apocalypse Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.27

Jack Reacher 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.99
15 hrs ago
Friday the 13th: 8-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Dragon Ball Z: Seasons 1-9 Collection (Blu-ray)
$123.49

The Mummy Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Batman Beyond: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$60.99

Avatar - The Last Airbender: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$81.31

Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II: The Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$19.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 07-03-2019, 06:35 PM   #15841
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I am not that surprised that a Hulu representative would suggest something so asinine. Yeah, I'll run out and buy a new TV just so I can subscribe to Hulu.

Maybe there is a grand conspiracy taking shape here? Maybe it is deliberate planned obsolescence to get us to buy new TVs more frequently? As we are beginning to see diminishing returns with the improvements to the latest TVs, perhaps a new motivation is needed? Streaming apps won't work unless you buy the latest TV model offered!

See what can happen when you read Steedy's paranoid too often?

Or you could just buy a $40 Roku and the whole conspiracy dies before it is even born.
You see paranoia. I see a opportunity to sell TV sets every 3 years rather than 5 or 6. You guys think why would I think that? I would say ‘why WOULDN’T they think that. In reality, it would probably just push more people to using tablets or phones.

Last edited by Steedeel; 07-03-2019 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:39 PM   #15842
Special Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
You see paranoia. I see a opportunity to sell TV sets every 3 years rather than 5 or 6. You guys think he would I think that? I would say ‘why WoULDN’T they think that. In reality, it would probably just push mote people to using tablets or phones.
Instead of upgrading a cheap streaming box every 3 or 4 years and using their TV, people will instead exclusively use their tablets or phones (which they will also have to upgrade frequently)?

This is just another one of your "everything leads to a mobile-only future" posts that follows no logic.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:44 PM   #15843
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
Instead of upgrading a cheap streaming box every 3 or 4 years and using their TV, people will instead exclusively use their tablets or phones (which they will also have to upgrade frequently)?
Phones or tablets can easily handle the upgrades, it seems TVs cannot.

I’m not claiming this will be the case, I’m just saying it may have been discussed. If smart tv apps become the overwhelming choice fo4 the masses, would dedicated boxes be even required? It’s that convenience thing again. We know what damage that word can do. It’s like the new ITunes app. Why would you want their streaming box when you can just click a button on the tv.

Unless you guys think the industry always has our best interests at heart? Well, do ya?
Old 07-03-2019, 06:53 PM   #15844
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
You see paranoia. I see a opportunity to sell TV sets every 3 years rather than 5 or 6. You guys think he would I think that? I would say Ďwhy WoULDNíT they think that. In reality, it would probably just push mote people to using tablets or phones.
We live in a consumerist society. We are encouraged to replace everything we own as often as we can across pretty much every category of merchandise.

That is not the same thing as deliberately sabotaging and limiting the lifespan of built-in streaming apps on TVs in the hopes of convincing people to run out and buy a new one. Any inexpensive dedicated streaming device will allow you to keep streaming regardless of when your TV stops supporting any of its built-in apps.

Gee, the Hulu app no longer works on my TV; should I spend $1000+ on a new TV or should I spend $40 on a Firestick? Or use the apps on my game console? Or on my disc player? Or maybe just tell Hulu to go to hell?

I can assure you that the loss of a built-in streaming app on my current TV would never cause me to run out and replace an otherwise perfectly good TV and I doubt that very many people would take that Hulu reps. alleged idiotic advice.

The conspiracy I conjured up was a joke and it was not intended to be adopted by you although I am not a bit surprised that you would.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:56 PM   #15845
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
We live in a consumerist society. We are encouraged to replace everything we own as often as we can across pretty much every category of merchandise.

That is not the same thing as deliberately sabotaging and limiting the lifespan of built-in streaming apps on TVs in the hopes of convincing people to run out and buy a new one. Any inexpensive dedicated streaming device will allow you to keep streaming regardless of when your TV stops supporting any of its built-in apps.

Gee, the Hulu app no longer works on my TV; should I spend $1000+ on a new TV or should I spend $40 on a Firestick? Or use the apps on my game console? Or on my disc player? Or maybe just tell Hulu to go to hell?

I can assure you that the loss of a built-in streaming app on my current TV would never cause me to run out and replace an otherwise perfectly good TV and I doubt that very many people would take that Hulu reps. alleged idiotic advice.

The conspiracy I conjured up was a joke and it was not intended to be adopted by you although I am not a bit surprised that you would.
I would then suggest that itís in their interests to make built in apps the ONLY way to access streaming services.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:59 PM   #15846
Special Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
I would then suggest that it’s in their interests to make built in apps the ONLY way to access streaming services.
In who's interest? Hulu doesn't make TVs, they don't care if your TV is 20 years old or if you buy a new one every year. They don't make money on the TV either way.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:00 PM   #15847
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Phones or tablets can easily handle the upgrades, it seems TVs cannot.

I’m not claiming this will be the case, I’m just saying it may have been discussed. If smart tv apps become the overwhelming choice fo4 the masses, would dedicated boxes be even required? It’s that convenience thing again. We know what damage that word can do. It’s like the new ITunes app. Why would you want their streaming box when you can just click a button on the tv.

Unless you guys think the industry always has our best interests at heart? Well, do ya?
My phone can no longer run some apps, so don't even begin to think that they are meant to be used indefinitely. We are constantly encouraged to upgrade our phones far more than we ever are with our TVs. Many of these new phones now cost more than do several models of very good 4K TVs. I receive marketing every week from my cell phone provider attempting to upgrade my phone; they are relentless. My TV manufacturer only contacts me once in a great while.

So many people are in the habit of buying a new phone every couple of years that they likely would never notice that older phones lose the ability to update, and even run, some apps.

Dedicated streaming devices are tiny, some are the size of a USB drive, and their portability makes them super convenient. You can connect them to almost any TV or computer that you encounter in your travels. They also have easier access to the widest range of apps. They handle updates better and for longer. Above all, they are very inexpensive.

Last edited by Vilya; 07-03-2019 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:06 PM   #15848
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas

Well, I canít speak for anyone else, but when I first bought our first flatscreen and BD player smart tvís weren't around yet and I my early 360 didnít hook up to the internet wirelessly. So I streamed via my player. Fast forward to now and I have so many options. Smart TV, console, BD players, iPhone, etc. Thatís the funny thing about tech. As long as itís evolving thereís always going to be options for the consumers.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:07 PM   #15849
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
I would then suggest that itís in their interests to make built in apps the ONLY way to access streaming services.
Wanting a monopoly and having one are not the same thing. There are too many ways to have streaming apps for TV manufacturers to ever have any hope of such exclusive control.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:08 PM   #15850
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
So the idea of this exclusively being something that Hulu is mandating makes no sense IMO.
Another related news byte - see Correction: Hulu Is Ending Support For Most But Not All DVD & Blu-ray Players

Updated AVS post URL (k8500)

Last edited by JohnAV; 07-03-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:10 PM   #15851
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010

As far as the person with the Samsung 8500? Who knows what theyíre issues. I can tell you that as a 8000 owner Hulu app pulls up just fine and I just had a firmware update.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:11 PM   #15852
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
I use my Oppo 203 and my region free Oppo 93 as my primary disc players and I don't give damn one what hardware Hulu does, or does not, support.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:16 PM   #15853
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
I use my Oppo 203 and my region free Oppo 93 as my primary disc players and I don't give damn one what hardware Hulu does, or does not, support.
Love the 203's HDMI input to ATV4K with Dolby Vison bypass. No memory needed to run apps wasted in the player.
Thanks given by:
Vilya (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 07:24 PM   #15854
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Love the 203's HDMI input to ATV4K with Dolby Vison bypass. No memory needed to run apps wasted in the player.
Only an Oppo would allow you to connect an All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) via HDMI.

I don't own an ATV4K, should I? I just use my TV's built-in apps for what little streaming I do.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:38 PM   #15855
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010

Quote:
I kind of feel this way, but more from a non subscriber standpoint
Old 07-03-2019, 07:46 PM   #15856
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
Only an Oppo would allow you to connect an All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) via HDMI.

I don't own an ATV4K, should I? I just use my TV's built-in apps for what little streaming I do.
I use it because it allows iTunes collection access playback besides Vudu, MoviesAnywhere, Amazon Prime, and a number of other familiar streaming apps that are not part of LG WebOS accessable. Plus tvOS Environment is seeing continued functionality. Such as Picture in Picture, so you are playing video and can go into the GUI for other real time adjustments. (Public beta tvOS 13) now PB2 out.
Thanks given by:
Vilya (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 07:58 PM   #15857
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2010
Chicago

I feel like such a dinosaur when you guys talk about streaming apps and streaming devices.

If my cable box turns on I'm happy.

If I put a disc in and it plays I'm happy.

I'm a simple man with simple needs.
Thanks given by:
dublinbluray108 (07-04-2019), The_Donster (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 08:03 PM   #15858
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
I feel like such a dinosaur when you guys talk about streaming apps and streaming devices.

If my cable box turns on I'm happy.

If I put a disc in and it plays I'm happy.

I'm a simple man with simple needs.
Hopefully, you are also a fit man who watches while standing, lest you incur that sitting on your keister tax.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:05 PM   #15859
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2010
Chicago

I just hope the ass tax isn't assessed by the pound.
Thanks given by:
The_Donster (07-03-2019), Vilya (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 08:15 PM   #15860
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Canada

Quote:
I never understood why some people felt they needed to have a Netflix app on both their TV and their disc player. Anyone that enamored by streaming apps would be better served by a dedicated streaming device which are known for handling updates easily and for far longer. They're very inexpensive also.
I prefer to have the app on the player. Iíve had enough personal and clientsí experiences, for TVs with heavy usage of wifi, the built in wifi card becomes unreliable and/or not working at all AFTER the 1 year warranty ends. Iíve seen enough Sony, LG and Samsung with failed wifi card after about 1.5 years of heavy wifi usage.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology