Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$41.99
17 hrs ago
Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$121.79
3 hrs ago
Batman: 80th Anniversary 18-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.96
16 hrs ago
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Batman Beyond: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$60.99
17 hrs ago
Twin Peaks: The Television Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99
17 hrs ago
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Shaun of the Dead 4K / Hot Fuzz 4K / The World's End 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice (Blu-ray)
$18.39

The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

View Poll Results: Should Netflix license "Roma" to Criterion for a blu-ray?
Yes, definitely! 58 77.33%
No, they should release a blu-ray themselves 5 6.67%
Not necessarily to Criterion, but to someone 16 21.33%
This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship 4 5.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2019, 01:24 AM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009
Default Do you think Netflix should license "Roma" to Criterion?

Does anyone else think Netflix should license Alfonso Cuaron's Roma to Criterion for a blu-ray release?

It would make a lot of sense, especially since Criterion already has released Cuaron's other Mexican movies, and being able to license Roma would mean it could release a Blu-ray set with all 3 of Cuaron's Mexico-filmed movies.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:31 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Western Kentucky

I'd be fine with a Blu-ray release period, irregardless of whom actually puts it out.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:34 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012

It doesn't matter because they won't, at least not for years. It would defeat the entire purpose of having it exclusively on their platform. And yes, I know it played in a handful of theaters, but that was very limited and only so it could be eligible for the Oscars.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:35 AM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468 View Post
I'd be fine with a Blu-ray release period, irregardless of whom actually puts it out.
I would, too, although when I think of all the amazing extras Criterion has included for Cuaron's other movies, and the obviously good relationship they have with him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by noirjunkie View Post
It doesn't matter because they won't, at least not for years. It would defeat the entire purpose of having it exclusively on their platform.
Well, they DID release Stranger Things on blu-ray, and that one didn't even play in theaters!
Old 01-24-2019, 01:48 AM   #5
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

I emailed this to Criterion back in December:

Quote:
HI, this is probably a long-shot, but I think it would be a dream come true for Alfonso Cuarón's Roma to be part of the Criterion Collection. With it having such a limited theatrical release, and Netflix not having a true proper physical media setup for their productions, it'd be great if some sort of distribution deal could be made with them for this particular film. I know you also have a relationship with Cuarón, and I'm sure he'd also love his masterpiece to get that kind of attention.

I'm sure it's something that Criterion would love to happen, but it's probably not in the cards. I do wish it could happen though,as I fear the film won't ever get a physical release otherwise.

-Michael
I was fortunate enough to have seen it twice in theaters, once in laser projection, once in 70mm. It's an incredible film, and visually stunning. Having it just available on streaming doesn't do the film justice. I think Criterion would be the ideal physical partner for this movie as I don't trust Netflix's limited experience with home media to do it, and I don't know who else they'd partner up with.

noirjunkie isn't wrong. Roma is the one of the hottest things Netflix has going for it right now. That buzz will continue to grow after the Oscars as it's bound to win a couple, and perhaps the biggest prize of the night. So, Netflix knows they're one of the only places people can find the film. They wouldn't jeopardize money from potential new subscribers by making a physical release, where they'd only get a small portion of the sales.

My request to Criterion was very much a long shot. A fantasy. One I wish would happen, but odds are will not. I'd be happy if anyone released it down the line though.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:56 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2016
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBonnet View Post
Well, they DID release Stranger Things on blu-ray, and that one didn't even play in theaters!
Too entice people to subscribe to see the next seasons. With aroma there’s nothing to entice. Oh you bought it on disc and now no reason to stream.

That being said I would buy a Blu-Ray of Roma, or a 4K!
Old 01-24-2019, 02:02 AM   #7

Apr 2012

I'd love to see this, Buster Scruggs, Okja, and The Irishman given some kind of prestige release. I don't think it'll happen, but maybe they'd see it as legitimizing to them as a studio in a similar, much smaller way to the way they see the Oscars. I doubt it, but that's what I'd like. This'll be the first Oscar nominee (and maybe winner) to not get a blu-ray release since the format was birthed. Not to be all gloomy and doomy, but that isn't the best of omens...
Old 01-24-2019, 02:06 AM   #8
Blu-ray Duke

May 2011
Texas

Would prefer CC to license The Other Side of The Wind or First They Killed My Father.
Thanks given by:
BluBonnet (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 03:18 AM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
I emailed this to Criterion back in December:

I was fortunate enough to have seen it twice in theaters, once in laser projection, once in 70mm. It's an incredible film, and visually stunning. Having it just available on streaming doesn't do the film justice. I think Criterion would be the ideal physical partner for this movie as I don't trust Netflix's limited experience with home media to do it, and I don't know who else they'd partner up with.

noirjunkie isn't wrong. Roma is the one of the hottest things Netflix has going for it right now. That buzz will continue to grow after the Oscars as it's bound to win a couple, and perhaps the biggest prize of the night. So, Netflix knows they're one of the only places people can find the film. They wouldn't jeopardize money from potential new subscribers by making a physical release, where they'd only get a small portion of the sales.

My request to Criterion was very much a long shot. A fantasy. One I wish would happen, but odds are will not. I'd be happy if anyone released it down the line though.
I wasn't saying they would necessarily license it RIGHT AWAY, either. It's something they could wait at least 18 months or longer to do - at which time most people will have watched it either on Netflix or in theaters.

So it likely wouldn't cost them any lost subscribers
Old 01-24-2019, 03:28 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
USA

A lot of people don't have Netflix, can't afford it, or just prefer not to have it. Me, I stick to the basics (cable TV and physical home video).

Noirjunkie does make a point; just to be fair to Netflix, anything made exclusively for their site should have a home video release at least 1 year after the streaming premiere since that was the way for Stranger Things.

And to ask your question if Roma deserves a Criterion release, if the film is a work of art and critically acclaimed (and I already see it is), then yes, it definitely deserves a said release.
Thanks given by:
BluBonnet (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 06:43 AM   #11
Power Member

May 2013

I'd read somewhere that The Other Side of the Wind will be getting a physical media release at some point in the future.

As for Roma, its important to remember that Netflix didn't produce the film, they acquired it from the producers/production company that made the film in April 2018.

None of us knows what the terms of contract were/are with Netflix and it would be entirely possible that there may be an agreement to allow of a physical media release at some point.

I wouldn't give up hope that the film could turn up on Blu Ray in the foreseeable future.

On the other hand any films that Netflix bankrolled themselves would be less likely.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:48 AM   #12
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Peg View Post
I'd read somewhere that The Other Side of the Wind will be getting a physical media release at some point in the future.

As for Roma, its important to remember that Netflix didn't produce the film, they acquired it from the producers/production company that made the film in April 2018.

None of us knows what the terms of contract were/are with Netflix and it would be entirely possible that there may be an agreement to allow of a physical media release at some point.

I wouldn't give up hope that the film could turn up on Blu Ray in the foreseeable future.

On the other hand any films that Netflix bankrolled themselves would be less likely.

This is a very good point, I'd forgotten about the fact that Netflix picked up the film. I'd be very surprised if Cuaron had not taken the care to carve out the physical media distribution rights after giving Netflix a very generous window of exclusivity (maybe 12-18 months?).

Given his good relationship with Criterion, I'd say it might still be possible we may see Criterion doing a blu-ray release of Roma after enough time has passed - maybe by 2020 or 2021?
Old 01-24-2019, 07:51 AM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBonnet View Post
Right. They released it. Not some other company. Netflix did it directly (through Target as the vendor), so they're just tapping an additional revenue stream. A licensing fee for a single film isn't going to come close to what they could generate through new subscribers (or existing subscribers maintaining their subscriptions).
Old 01-24-2019, 08:17 AM   #14
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by noirjunkie View Post
Right. They released it. Not some other company. Netflix did it directly (through Target as the vendor), so they're just tapping an additional revenue stream. A licensing fee for a single film isn't going to come close to what they could generate through new subscribers (or existing subscribers maintaining their subscriptions).
Please read the previous post. It's actually not clear that Netflix owns any rights to the movie besides streaming. Meaning when they acquired the film, home video rights might have been carved out of the deal.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:34 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Peg View Post
The only physical media release, as of now, will be the blu-ray that was promised to the IndieGoGo backers who supported the "finish the film" campaign before Netflix became involved.
Thanks given by:
Aunt Peg (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 05:38 PM   #16
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2011

They should release it themselves, but they won't. They'll just want to get even more subscribers in case the movie wins the Oscar.

Anyway, the one Netflix movie I'd like to own is The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.
Thanks given by:
Himmel (01-25-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 05:55 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2014
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gacivory View Post
Too entice people to subscribe to see the next seasons. With aroma there’s nothing to entice. Oh you bought it on disc and now no reason to stream.

That being said I would buy a Blu-Ray of Roma, or a 4K!
Yes, but I doubt that many (any?) people take Netflix exclusively for Roma and Roma only. So it wouldn't hurt their streaming business. Releasing Stranger Things or the Marvel shows DOES though, so if they do one, they could realistically do the other. But if Roma gets a disc release, then Buster Scruggs potentially should, also, and that opens up a can of worms.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:25 AM   #18
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates_Motel View Post
Yes, but I doubt that many (any?) people take Netflix exclusively for Roma and Roma only. So it wouldn't hurt their streaming business. Releasing Stranger Things or the Marvel shows DOES though, so if they do one, they could realistically do the other. But if Roma gets a disc release, then Buster Scruggs potentially should, also, and that opens up a can of worms.
Not necessarily, provided they wait until the title is older in the streaming side, then they can get a little more out of it via physical media
Old 02-24-2019, 06:58 AM   #19
Expert Member

Jul 2009
-
-
-
-

If this wins the Oscar...or rather, when this wins....we damn well better see a Blu-Ray release! Even as an import.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:08 AM   #20
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫
Criterion

If Criterion Collection can get with the 4K program, yes.
They'd better hurry up or it's going to be too late.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists