Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$41.99

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$121.79

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.32
5 hrs ago
Batman: 80th Anniversary 18-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.96

Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$110.94

Avatar: The Last Airbender / The Legend of Korra - The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$43.99

Stephen King's The Stand (Blu-ray)
$20.89

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

007: The Sean Connery Collection, Vol. 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.96
37 min ago
Back to the Future: 30th Anniversary Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 03-02-2008, 03:58 PM   #1

Oct 2007
Lynchburg, VA
Default SACD bass management question

Hey all,

I have been casually building a very small collection of SACDs for the past couple years. All have been multichannel discs. Well, I finally picked up the "Dances With Wolves" SACD, and it is only in stereo.

My problem is this: I don't have a good stereo setup. I have a middle-of-the line surround system which probably doesn't take full advantage of SACD, but I can hear the improvement. Anyway, my stereo mains only go down to about 50Hz, so I am losing a lot of bass information by not having a separate LFE channel, but I don't want to apply any processing to the signal within my receiver because I've tried it and it sounds like a regular CD.

Any suggestions on how to hook my player's SACD outs to my receiver to get my subwoofer working in tandem with my stereo mains? I don't mind having to unplug wires and then move them back to watch movies.

Here's my setup:

Samsung DVD-HD841 (SACD player)
Onkyo HT-S790 (Receiver/speaker package)

Any tips are greatly appreciated....

EDIT: I currently have the 5.1 channel multichannel outs from the SACD player connected to the analog multichannel inputs on the Receiver. I have tried running them into the stereo AUX inputs on the receiver and applying processing; like I said, it sounds much worse.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:58 PM   #2

Oct 2007
Lynchburg, VA

bump
Old 03-02-2008, 10:56 PM   #3

Sep 2007
NM

Can you simply set up the player to cross over to the subwoofer at ~ 60Hz?

If the player has speaker size, etc. adjustments this should be possible. Of course, I don't have "that" player, so this is a guess.

Lee
Old 03-04-2008, 03:59 AM   #4
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

I don't have your SACD player either but check the bass management settings of your player. I'm sure there is a setting to set your main speakers to "small" instead of "large". Bass management through analog outputs was always a sticky issue with SACD/DVD-A players. Outlaw used to make a device solely for that purpose(though that device is not made anymore and still commands good prices on the secondary market).
Old 03-04-2008, 04:03 AM   #5

Oct 2007
Lynchburg, VA

Thanks for the replies...the problem with this player is that it came from ebay w/o a remote, come to find out the menu is damn near impossible to access w/o a remote. Finally figured out how, and got the bass management set up. All I can say is...meh. You get what you pay for, I guess. It's still better than the stereo, though, albeit MUCH too loud (the sub, that is).

Thanks again for the help. Maybe this is just a good excuse to upgrade the speakers, eh??
Old 03-04-2008, 04:12 AM   #6
Power Member

Mar 2007
Toronto, Canada

Some subwoofers can take line level in. If yours can, connect like this:

receiver, front speaker out ---> subwoofer line in

subwoofer line out ---> front speakers.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:17 AM   #7
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluseminole View Post
Thanks for the replies...the problem with this player is that it came from ebay w/o a remote, come to find out the menu is damn near impossible to access w/o a remote. Finally figured out how, and got the bass management set up. All I can say is...meh. You get what you pay for, I guess. It's still better than the stereo, though, albeit MUCH too loud (the sub, that is).

Thanks again for the help. Maybe this is just a good excuse to upgrade the speakers, eh??
If you have a programmable universal remote you might be able to get a working remote for your player. Go to this site and see if anyone has the codes for your player or if any remotes already support that model:

http://www.remotecentral.com/

Always ready to help a fellow Nole...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion