Best SteelBook Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Last Action Hero 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Ultraman Leo: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$34.96

The Legend of Korra: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$73.11

12 Monkeys (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Made in Abyss Theatrical Collection (Blu-ray)
$89.99

Earwig and the Witch (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Wind Rises (Blu-ray)
$21.99

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Assassins Pride (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Super 8 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

The Secret World of Arrietty (Blu-ray)
$21.99
15 hrs ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 03-08-2021, 05:42 PM   #1
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City
USA The Wind Rises Steelbook (US)

The Wind Rises Steelbook US

Release Date: June 22, 2020

Purchase Links:

Shout! Factory

Artwork:

Thanks given by:
AreaFive (03-09-2021), BurningAstronaut (03-08-2021), DarthEd (03-09-2021), GenPion (03-09-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 05:53 PM   #2

Sep 2020

NICE!!!!

All that's left is Porco Rosso and that will be all the Miyazaki films in these new steelbooks!

Well...other than the Lupin film, but I don't think that's happening.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:30 PM   #3
Special Member

Apr 2011
Montreal

My God, some of these covers are awful. I know they look better in person (I bought some of them and ended up giving them to a friend) but geez, Ghibli steelbooks have so much potential. Imagine the original posters for these movies? How beautiful it could have been... :/
Thanks given by:
InuYashaCrusade (03-08-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 08:46 PM   #4

Sep 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred25_Ca View Post
My God, some of these covers are awful. I know they look better in person (I bought some of them and ended up giving them to a friend) but geez, Ghibli steelbooks have so much potential. Imagine the original posters for these movies? How beautiful it could have been... :/
It really depends on the country your in.

The US is JUST NOW getting these steelbooks.

Lot of European countries have had them for a while now with a similar style but with varying artwork. Some are better than what we've gotten, some are worse. Varies by country. Overall, they're serviceable.

My only concern is when Miyazaki's next (and most likely last) film comes out. I hope they release a version in this same style to have a complete set.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:37 PM   #5
Special Member

Apr 2011
Montreal

Oh i'm aware about the other steelbooks from UK and Japan. They both look much better than these, even if i'm not in love with those either (the UK being easily the better ones, imo).
Old 03-09-2021, 04:17 PM   #6
Expert Member

Jun 2018

Quote:
Oh i'm aware about the other steelbooks from UK and Japan. They both look much better than these, even if i'm not in love with those either (the UK being easily the better ones, imo).
i feel ya, theres definitely a lot of potential for what these could've been. And i'm definitely not saying these are amazing but i like that they have the feel of a collection, It's also really nice that they about 90% match the grave of the fireflies steelbook that came out before these even though it would normally be the movie missing from the collection because of rights
Thanks given by:
ethnosax (03-09-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 09:42 PM   #7

Jul 2020

I feel like I'm crazy because I've loved the designs on these since they came out with the first batch. Some of the choices for front images could have been more interesting but the simplistic concept I personally like.

I am glad, either way, to see these announced. Shout! had indicated in an email to another collector a while back they might have been finished with the Steels after The Cat Returns and Whisper of the Heart, so I had been very concerned we would never get the last two Miyazaki movies. I assume Porco Rosso will be in the fall release duo, though I couldn't guess what will be it's partner.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:55 PM   #8
Expert Member

Jun 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynepc View Post
I feel like I'm crazy because I've loved the designs on these since they came out with the first batch. Some of the choices for front images could have been more interesting but the simplistic concept I personally like.
art is subjective bud theres never any need to feel "crazy" because you like a steelbook a lot of others don't. It's going on your shelf not theirs .

Also this and arriety are on bestbuy and amazon now

amazon

bestbuy
Thanks given by:
DarthEd (03-22-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 03:32 PM   #9

Aug 2013
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekjosh View Post
NICE!!!!

All that's left is Porco Rosso and that will be all the Miyazaki films in these new steelbooks!

Well...other than the Lupin film, but I don't think that's happening.
There's quite a few more isn't there?
Only Yesterday, Pom Poko, On Your Mark, From Up on Poppy Hill, How Do You Live?... what else?
Old 03-17-2021, 05:50 PM   #10

Sep 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threat View Post
There's quite a few more isn't there?
Only Yesterday, Pom Poko, On Your Mark, From Up on Poppy Hill, How Do You Live?... what else?
I'm only collecting the Miyazaki films, not all the Ghibli films. The Ghibili films he didn't direct are fine...but the quality is night and day on the films he did work on.

Nausicaa
Castle in the Sky
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki
Porco Rosso
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Howl's Movie Castle
Ponyo
The Wind Rises

Only one we're missing now is Porco Rosso!
Old 03-17-2021, 06:03 PM   #11
Special Member

Apr 2011
Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekjosh View Post
I'm only collecting the Miyazaki films, not all the Ghibli films. The Ghibili films he didn't direct are fine...but the quality is night and day on the films he did work on.

Nausicaa
Castle in the Sky
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki
Porco Rosso
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Howl's Movie Castle
Ponyo
The Wind Rises

Only one we're missing now is Porco Rosso!
I'd say whisper of the heart should be there, he produced, wrote and even storyboard the movie. It definitely feels like a Miyazaki movie, even if he didn't quite direct it. I'd say it's similar to Spielberg and Poltergeist for example. Plus, Whisper is excellent and much better than the last three movies he made.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:31 PM   #12

Sep 2020

Quote:
I'd say whisper of the heart should be there, he produced, wrote and even storyboard the movie. It definitely feels like a Miyazaki movie, even if he didn't quite direct it. I'd say it's similar to Spielberg and Poltergeist for example. Plus, Whisper is excellent and much better than the last three movies he made.
I would agree, if it weren't for Ponyo.

Ponyo was great. Howl's and Wind Rises were still good though.

Hoping his next (and last) film knocks it out of the park.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:06 PM   #13

Sep 2010

At least this is one I don't own at all yet...
Old 03-22-2021, 06:59 AM   #14

Mar 2017

I really hate Ponyo, actually. It feels like its intended audience was four-year-olds. And The Wind Rises is good, but definitely not great.

Miyazaki at his best is hard to beat, no doubt, but The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, Grave of the Fireflies, Only Yesterday, Whisper of the Heart, When Marnie Was There, and From Up on Poppy Hill are all pretty fantastic, IMHO. Actually, The Tale of the Princess Kaguya is stunningly beautiful and one of Ghibliís best. Iíd put it up there with anything Miyazaki directed. And Grave of the Fireflies isnít far behind it.

But to each their own.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks