Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Jackie Chan Collection: Volume 1 (1976-1982) (Blu-ray)
$71.49
6 hrs ago
A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
17 hrs ago
The Magnificent Seven 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99
2 hrs ago
Three Colors 4K (Blu-ray)
$87.49
1 day ago
A Man Called Otto (Blu-ray)
$22.96
15 hrs ago
The Jackie Chan Collection: Volume 2 (1983-1993) (Blu-ray)
$80.99

Plane 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.06
1 day ago
Westworld: Season Four 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.49
23 hrs ago
Universal Classic Monsters: Icons of Horror Collection Vol. 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$38.99

DragonHeart 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
2 hrs ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Roots: The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray)
$19.52
17 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion

Old 02-07-2021, 08:21 PM   #21
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008
United Kingdom

I purchased the LG 65NANO906NA (2020) LED HDR NanoCell 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 65 inch yesterday and I tried the Filmmaker Mode with my 4K of Dunkirk.

Now obviously Iím happy that Iíve got a great tv and maybe that may be slightly affecting my opinion, but...

I thought it was Fantastic. I had previously seen Dunkirk at the Cinema and had remembered it fairly well and at the touch of a button it felt like I was back there.

Iím really looking forward to trying out other titles that carry this feature.

I donít think thereís a definitive list yet, but my first impression are extremely positive.
Thanks given by:
jibucha (02-08-2021), LordoftheRings (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 10:05 PM   #22
Blu-ray Emperor

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkblack View Post
I purchased the LG 65NANO906NA (2020) LED HDR NanoCell 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 65 inch yesterday and I tried the Filmmaker Mode with my 4K of Dunkirk.

Now obviously I’m happy that I’ve got a great tv and maybe that may be slightly affecting my opinion, but...

I thought it was Fantastic. I had previously seen Dunkirk at the Cinema and had remembered it fairly well and at the touch of a button it felt like I was back there.

I’m really looking forward to trying out other titles that carry this feature.

I don’t think there’s a definitive list yet, but my first impression are extremely positive.
You know that Filmmaker Mode is just a TV setting and has nothing to do with select content "carrying" or supporting it, yes? It's a mode designed to make the TV resemble the intended picture quality and objective video mastering standards that all content is mastered to.

All FM does is turn off most or all of the extraneous processing crap on the TV, put it into the correct levels of brightness, contrast, sharpness and colour, and set it to the correct colour temperature. It's not doing anything you couldn't do yourself with a good setup disc, it's just turning off that Vivid Mode shit that people love so much
Old 02-08-2021, 10:32 PM   #23
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Well, that's a benefit right there for most folks.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (10-09-2022), PaddyMcAloon (12-14-2022)
Old 02-08-2021, 10:35 PM   #24
Special Member

Feb 2007

helpful information?

• i do believe that many do not understand how 'FilmMaker Mode' works
  • 'essentially' - it works with 'all' film and television content
  • 'simply' - the FilmMaker Mode - just needs to be 'on' (selected)
  • displays/remote - some displays turn-on via the remote (on/off button) - others have a picture mode on the television that can be turned on/off (when turned-on, it auto detects using 'various' flags, both legacy & the new 'specified' flag as expected)
  • LG OLED CX :: my display has a picture mode that i leave on
  • so - whenever either movies or television show are watched, they're automatically in FilmMaker Mode
  • exceptions? - Dolby Vision
  • Dolby Vision & FilmMaker Mode - amazingly similiar (both - simply outstanding)
  • FilmMaker Mode - it's 'more' than the settings 'known to users'
  • FilmMaker Mode - it's 'more' than 'just another picture mode & settings'
  • FilmMaker Mode - it does not require a single embedded flag in content as is commonly thought - it does work as effectively with legacy content
  • FilmMaker Mode - i use it daily on most everything that i watch with the single exception of Dolby Vision which is still an improvement
  • FilmMaker Mode - i find it remarkable (enough so that i am selling my LG OLED C7 - 'just' for Filmmaker Mode picture performance - which otherwise is fantastic) -
  • FilmMaker Mode - 'for myself' - it's the number one feature - without which i would not purchase a particular television (the other two? - Dolby Vision & NextGenTV)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkblack View Post

Now obviously I’m happy that I’ve got a great tv and maybe that may be slightly affecting my opinion, but...

I’m really looking forward to trying out other titles that carry this feature.

I don’t think there’s a definitive list yet, but my first impression are extremely positive.

Last edited by jibucha; 02-09-2021 at 01:10 AM.
Thanks given by:
LordoftheRings (02-08-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 12:16 AM   #25
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
You know that Filmmaker Mode is just a TV setting and has nothing to do with select content "carrying" or supporting it, yes? It's a mode designed to make the TV resemble the intended picture quality and objective video mastering standards that all content is mastered to.

All FM does is turn off most or all of the extraneous processing crap on the TV, put it into the correct levels of brightness, contrast, sharpness and colour, and set it to the correct colour temperature. It's not doing anything you couldn't do yourself with a good setup disc, it's just turning off that Vivid Mode shit that people love so much
I think there was some intention to have content flagged for Filmmaker Mode, so it would switch our displays automatically, but the last time I looked into it, there weren't any discs waving that flag. So it's like you said, Geoff, just another picture mode.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:59 AM   #26
Special Member

Feb 2007

i agree - with regards to 'intent' (how it works)
although - it's not 'just another picture mode'
it works - with legacy content (movies & tv shows - equally - with or without the 'special' flag)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
I think there was some intention to have content flagged for Filmmaker Mode, so it would switch our displays automatically, but the last time I looked into it, there weren't any discs waving that flag. So it's like you said, Geoff, just another picture mode.
Old 02-09-2021, 02:56 AM   #27
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibucha View Post
i agree - with regards to 'intent' (how it works)
although - it's not 'just another picture mode'
it works - with legacy content (movies & tv shows - equally - with or without the 'special' flag)
At the moment it's not much more than a Movie or Cinema (or Custom) mode, both of which will turn off most if not all post-processing depending on the manufacturer.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (02-09-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 06:36 AM   #28
Blu-ray Emperor

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

That's exactly what it is, and it's not doing some special secret sauce to the image like people think it is, the entire point is that it turns OFF the manufacturer's secret sauce and presents the image as unmolested as possible, setting the SDR mode to 100 nits as recommended for SDR for example.

It's as simple as that, and anyone who's had a professional calibration will literally have their own Filmmaker Mode (better even because you're actually setting the greyscale properly across the range with a metered calibration). This is why it "works" with all content because all content has been mastered to these baseline specs, it's not the TV making the content do something it's not supposed to do.

I mean, I'm very glad that people are actually enjoying it, I'm just surprised because it's the anti-Vivid Mode and there are also people on here who've run away screaming from it (too dull, too yellow, too soft etc). I should give people more credit, but at the same time I can't help but correct them when they talk of this as being some kind of witchcraft that isn't attainable any other way. Uhh....nope
Thanks given by:
chip75 (02-09-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 07:25 AM   #29
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

@ least it's a step in the right direction.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (10-09-2022), Geoff D (02-09-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 05:58 PM   #30
Power Member

Mar 2010

Cant call it filmmaker mode when the unit lacks 3D. Guess filmmakers intent is conditional.
Thanks given by:
8traxrule (09-15-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 06:31 PM   #31
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

I know, but donít ruin it for me. I want to imagine that Christopher Nolan has personally fed his exact specs into my tv.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (10-09-2022), Geoff D (02-09-2021), noirjunkie (02-12-2021), Streetlight (10-15-2022)
Old 10-23-2021, 10:22 PM   #32

Oct 2021

Filmmaker Mode still looks like live TV on my brand new Samsung QN55QN85A

I primarily watch Blurays of older flicks from the 70s and 80s... mostly Vinegar Syndrome horror restos as well as some Shudder via my Apple TV HD (not 4k). So, of course as soon as I get the TV I go in a turn off all traces of any "motion smoothing" or any bells and whistles at all... I start watching in the Filmmaker Mode.

But no matter the source or the material it STILL looks like live sports or soap opera... There doesn't seem to be any other features to turn off completely...

I find this unacceptable, and will likely return it and get something else, but can you guys help me figure out which route to go? I'm told Sony would be the best bet as they have the most adjustable setting and that LG might also be better. Anybody have firsthand experience or similar issues to me? I really don't think movies shot in 1982 or 173 on 16mm should look the way this TV makes them look. It's awful.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
DJ
Old 10-25-2021, 06:35 PM   #33
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2018

Filmmaker mode is worthless for me. It's not available when watching DV and it's far too dim to watch during the day with natural light.
Old 10-09-2022, 12:29 AM   #34
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2013
Washington

Apologies for resurrecting this thread, but I just came across this video today, and thought he made some good points. Food for thought!

Old 10-10-2022, 01:15 AM   #35
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

Better to resurrect an old thread than create a new one.
Thanks given by:
Spooked (10-13-2022)
Old 10-15-2022, 06:35 AM   #36
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012
On Radford near the In 'N Out Burger

Filmmaker Mode on my LG C1 looks very washed out and blacks look grey. Am I missing something?
Old 10-15-2022, 01:35 PM   #37
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2007
BJ's Wholesale Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroj23 View Post
Filmmaker Mode on my LG C1 looks very washed out and blacks look grey. Am I missing something?
Have you tried adjusting the black level or does FMM lock out the controls?
Old 10-15-2022, 07:46 PM   #38
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012
On Radford near the In 'N Out Burger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
Have you tried adjusting the black level or does FMM lock out the controls?
I tried adjusting the brightness and black levels but the image became too dark. Weird, because I have heard good things about this setting. I'll have to look more into it.
Old 12-08-2022, 02:13 PM   #39
Special Member

Oct 2007

Recent to the 4K arena. Cost and motion smoothing was something that kept me away, plus my plasma showed movies wonderfully and still does. Did some remodel and got a Sony OLED with an Atmos sound. I have to say it took a long time to get the settings right, as I had to disable the processing on each input and device. The global cinema mode does not remove all processing. It would have been nice to have a filmmaker mode global setting. With everything tweaked it is absolutely amazing. I was worried at first, and I feel like I am cheating on my old Pioneer Elite. As an aside, that Elite has had zero issues and is still working as good as it did on day one. I also have no idea how someone that is not tech savvy could setup a new TV. Took about an hour of tinkering, and I know what I am doing. I could have accidentally given Sony rights to all my medical records, tax records, and personal privacy rights until the end of time.
Old 12-08-2022, 10:17 PM   #40
Banned

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroj23 View Post
Personally, I don't use the Filmmaker Mode on my LG because, I don't like the way it looks, and it eliminates the HDR and Dolby Vision.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion

Tags
filmmakermode, motion smoothing, post processing