Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.47

Parasite 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.89

Finding Dory 3D (Blu-ray)
$23.99
41 min ago
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.90

Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.33

xXx: Return of Xander Cage 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.98

Kylie Minogue: Aphrodite Les Folies - Live in London (Blu-ray)
$21.59

Dr. Seuss' The Lorax 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.64
2 hrs ago
The Three Stooges in 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.00

Inside Out 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Flying Swords of Dragon Gate 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.39

Ready Player One 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.78

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 06-17-2012, 10:03 PM   #1

Nov 2011
Oklahoma
Talking 3D Cinema Is Here To Stay

Looks like two 3D movies took the top two spots in the box office this weekend: Madagascar 3 & Prometheus. Seems like the Hollywood execs were expecting 2D star-powered movies such as That's My Boy & Rock of Ages to rake it in. 3D is still alive and kicking AND still selling at the box office

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/box-off...160128266.html
Old 06-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2012
Kansas City, MO

Nothing in the article suggests 3D has anything to do with this. For all you know, it's the 2D versions of both that are putting up big numbers.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #3

Apr 2011

45% AND 51% respectively aint bad stats

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3461&p=.htm
Old 06-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #4
Banned

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

....NOBODY WENT TO SEE THAT'S MY BOY?????
(Oh, yeah--Musta been the lack of 3-D.)

Last Friday, went to take some friends who were the last people in North America who hadn't seen The Avengers--
We got in to the plex just as previews were about to start, got our tickets, and saw a mile long ticket-entry line...An employee said, "Oh, that's just for Rock of Ages, you can go in."

As for Madagascar's success, think that has more to do with the seductive child-snaring song of the Evil Pied Piper:
Yes, any parent with a preschooler knows, it won't be for another six months from the first airing of the first TV ad that your 3-4-yo. will stop running around the house chanting "I like to move-it-move-it..." At least until the disk comes out.
( )

Last edited by EricJ; 06-18-2012 at 01:08 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:00 AM   #5

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerik View Post
45% AND 51% respectively aint bad stats

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3461&p=.htm
That''s Right!
Old 06-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #6

Mar 2008
Leek, Staffordshire

blu ray
Old 06-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #7

Apr 2009
New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
....NOBODY WENT TO SEE THAT'S MY BOY?????
(Oh, yeah--Musta been the lack of 3-D.)

Last Friday, went to take some friends who were the last people in North America who hadn't seen The Avengers--
We got in to the plex just as previews were about to start, got our tickets, and saw a mile long ticket-entry line...An employee said, "Oh, that's just for Rock of Ages, you can go in."
As for Madagascar's success, think that has more to do with the seductive child-snaring song of the Evil Pied Piper:
Yes, any parent with a preschooler knows, it won't be for another six months from the first airing of the first TV ad that your 3-4-yo. will stop running around the house chanting "I like to move-it-move-it..." At least until the disk comes out.
( )
Heard on the radio this morning that Rock of Ages "flopped" - something around $15 million? And with the amount of "stars" involved you can bet the budget was something crazy.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:26 AM   #8
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post
Looks like two 3D movies took the top two spots in the box office this weekend: Madagascar 3 & Prometheus. Seems like the Hollywood execs were expecting 2D star-powered movies such as That's My Boy & Rock of Ages to rake it in. 3D is still alive and kicking AND still selling at the box office

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/box-off...160128266.html
I saw both in 3D, Prometheus 3d was my favored genre of movie with really nice 3D IMO. M3D had really good 3D, but it's definitely a kids film.

I won't be seeing the Rock of Ages or Sandler's That's My Boy movies. Even if they were in 3D... The latter movie's trailers didn't spark any laughs for me. Like SNL for the past few years until recently.
Before Madagascar 3D, they had a preview for Katy Perry 3D, which had some very flat 3D during the dialog, and during the concert clips, pretty good 3D. I'll pass on that one too.

Brave 3D has good 3D, but not sure if I'll see it yet. Reminds me of Robin Hood. Who is the villain? I need to see a strong villain before bothering with it. So far it's about a princess deciding to ignore her parent's wishes...

Abe Vampire Hunter 3D this Friday June 22, 2012, looks promising. A must see for me. Ted 2D, June 29th, might be funny for Family Guy fans.

All opinions of course.

I'll go see a 3D movie first if it looks good, but not a 3D movie I have no interest in, such as Katy Perry 3D, and would see a good 2D movie instead if a good 3D movie wasn't playing at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
( )
I can imagine that's true.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:31 AM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Brave 3D has good 3D, but not sure if I'll see it yet. Reminds me of Robin Hood. Who is the villain? I need to see a strong villain before bothering with it. So far it's about a princess deciding to ignore her parents
I went to see it today. It was ok but I was pretty disappointed. It wasn't at all what I was expecting, and looking forward to. I thought it was going to be a story of great adventure. It wasn't that at all. Some spectacular visuals though. Beautiful scenery and all that.

Last edited by Lovemy3D; 06-23-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:55 AM   #10
Banned

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
I can imagine that's true.
I don't HAVE to imagine.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:27 AM   #11
Special Member

Jun 2010
CA

Quote:

Brave 3D has good 3D, but not sure if I'll see it yet. Reminds me of Robin Hood. Who is the villain? I need to see a strong villain before bothering with it. So far it's about a princess deciding to ignore her parent's wishes...
Saw it last night in 3D and I thought it was really good( nice 3D as well. It serves the lush visuals very well) and (if one isn't too cynical or cold-hearted :P) a very sweet touching movie as well. Not perfect, but if you were left cold by Cars 2, you'll be more than pleased with this one imo
Old 08-09-2014, 07:26 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
Default "99.9% of the films coming out of Hollywood are not 3D"

Quote:
3D, I’m afraid to say, is going to die. Because you have one Gravity, which is absolutely fantastic, for a hundred other films. 99.9 Percent of the films coming out of Hollywood are not 3D. They are, at best, 2.5 D; 2.25 D. The evolution is such that, as we speak today, there is not a single US film shooting in 3D. We started by converting them from 2D to 3D, then a few films were shot in 3D, and now they’re all converted again, because 3D does not work. Well, 3D works fantastically well in films like Gravity and I think we pay a lot of attention to 3D in our films, but most people don’t. Even great films like the Pixar films. I heard an interview with a Pixar director, saying he doesn’t handle the 3D, it’s done in post-production. Not converted – they do render both eyes, but if it’s not part of the storytelling then why do 3D? Audiences have come to realize that. They don’t want to pay extra money anymore to see 3D. The kids don’t want to wear glasses. You can see it in a film like The House of Magic, which has already been released in a few territories: the little kids don’t mind wearing 3D glasses, if they have a sense that it makes a difference. So I’m extremely frustrated, because I truly believe that 3D as we know it today is going to be finished within two or three years. Not ten years, two or three years………………
The future of 3D will be in high frame rate. So far there’s only two films that have been in released in HFR-3D. The Hobbit 1 and The Hobbit 2 by Peter Jackson. The next one will be Avatar. Peter Jackson did it at 48 frames per second, and Avatar will have 60 frames per second. It’s quite technical, but at a high frame rate you have absolute freedom to do anything you want. At 24 frames per second, you are so limited – and that’s why a lot of filmmakers don’t want to deal with 3D. You cannot do fast lateral movements, you have to be very careful in anything you do, so that it doesn’t strobe and stays watchable. In HFR – and I’ve seen The Hobbit at 24 frames 3D and in HFR – it’s a different film. The 48-frame-version is fantastic. And the 24-frame-version has been re-converged so that people don’t get sick during the projection. So I think that in the future, the current form of 3D will probably die and there will be a few, much fewer 3D films, but films that are truly designed for 3D. And there will not be three per weekend, but maybe ten per year.
“3D is finished” says Ben Stassen, director of 3D film The House of Magic.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:00 PM   #13

Aug 2012
In the woods!

What do you think Paul? Should it be quality over quantity? Is it too late.... because until this year it was hit or miss with conversions and natively filmed 3d. Time will tell.......
Old 08-09-2014, 09:16 PM   #14
Special Member

Apr 2012
Thumbs down

Not good news but I have been noticing the trend back to 2D myself...

I HATE FLAT MOVIES... I dont understand why EVERYONE does not embrace 3D goodness. It makes that much of a difference that I will never watch a flat version of a movie if there is an option.

Even Clash of the Titans as bad as that seems in 3D has to be better than watching it flat..

I just dont get it. I wish ALL NEW MOVIES were converted for people like me!

Last edited by sookymonster; 08-11-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Thanks given by:
luv2shop (08-10-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 10:26 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluray3d4life View Post
What do you think Paul? Should it be quality over quantity? Is it too late.... because until this year it was hit or miss with conversions and natively filmed 3d. Time will tell.......
Have to take the good with the bad. If 3D enthusiasts can look forward to quality 3D with visually striking performances "designed for 3D", in much fewer numbers, it can lead to a resurgence in excitement and demand.

Also hoping HFR-3D 60 FPS can "re-converge" compatibly with Blu-ray 3D, like 48 FPS does for The Hobbit HFR films. A future upgrade for a 3D physical-media format is another matter.
Thanks given by:
Bluray3d4life (08-10-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 10:26 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Galveston, TX

Quote:
So I think that in the future, the current form of 3D will probably die and there will be a few, much fewer 3D films, but films that are truly designed for 3D. And there will not be three per weekend, but maybe ten per year.
To a certain extent, I think he's right. 3D is moving in the direction of less 3D films with improved quality. Good examples are the Asian-limited conversions for RoboCop, Noah, and Transcendence.

I don't know if we'll make it to the extreme limit of only 10 films per year by 3D-enthusiastic directors though. Right now, 3D seems to be cheap enough to produce, with CGI and conversion, that it's no big deal if only 30-40% of theater audiences see it that way, making it easy and viable to create a "2.5D" stereo option for animations and big-budget event films. I'm not sure how much further 3D numbers will drop or at what point a "2.5D" option will no longer make economical sense.

I do like having that stereo option for quality 2D-style movies like the Marvel and Pixar catalogs and some other favorites, but at the same time, it would also be nice not to have to sort through the all 3D chaff when I want a top tier visual experience.

Last edited by BleedOrange11; 08-09-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:45 PM   #17

Aug 2014

I have not been apart of this community long but WE are strong and WE are voice.
We decide 3d's fate, its determined by support.

Fact: summer movie without 3d 7-9 $
Summer movie with 3d 13-15 dollars.
Thats damn near a 4-5 dollar difference there not gonna let thar go.

If transformer made a 100 million, about 20 million of that at the least came from 3d showings.

If we support 3d theater movies and only buy 3d blue-rays they"ll continue to produce it.

There are still alot of people with just 1080p led tv's that they bought in 2008-2010
Then 2011 3d 1080p led tv's came out when people had already perchased tv's just 2 years ago.

Now that 4k is starting to gain momentum, sony 4k's have 3d, lg's 4k's have 3d, samsung's 4k have 3d
Old 08-09-2014, 11:08 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Galveston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermoth View Post
Ahem...

X-Men: Days of Future Past
Transformers: Age of Extinction
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For
Exodus: God of Kings
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

All probably better than Gravity's stereo. Plus conversions aren't bad anymore, just a different tool.
Yeah, conversions have nice-looking depth now, but most of them, with few exceptions like Gravity and Frankenweenie and maybe parts of Pacific Rim, are still shot and edited with 2D-style visual story-telling, which seems to be what Stassen is most upset about.

Last edited by BleedOrange11; 08-09-2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:00 AM   #19
Special Member

Oct 2011
Manila

I have been pleasantly surprised with how good the 3D has been in just about every movie I went to this year, minus Apes (which should have been better).
Old 08-10-2014, 01:10 AM   #20
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The Grid

I don't agree with much of the article and he misses one big thing. China loves 3d, china is looking to be the biggest movie market in a few years at most. So why would 3d be going away when the largest market loves it. As for films not being shoot in 3d, we have seen a trend I fell of more film being shoot naively with less conversions, and many of those conversions being shoot for 3d. Sure some 3d films shoot for 3d have failed to really be 3d (asm1) but it is part of a learning process for how to shoot in 3d and I don't see 3d vanishing or being for only 10 films a year (just look at Jean Pierre Jeanette shooting a drama in 3d for $1.5million).

Last edited by Suntory_Times; 08-10-2014 at 01:15 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion