Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$99.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.47

Parasite 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.89

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.90

Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.33

Dr. Seuss' The Lorax 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.66

xXx: Return of Xander Cage 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.98

Kylie Minogue: Aphrodite Les Folies - Live in London (Blu-ray)
$23.88

Ready Player One 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.78

Flying Swords of Dragon Gate 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.39

The Three Stooges in 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.00

Inside Out 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Old 08-16-2013, 05:25 AM   #41
Special Member

Sep 2010
Los Angeles, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmith82 View Post
Done deal. Just bought both the "required" movies, the single disc was 1 dollar used, the return to crystal lake dvd set was 17 dollars used. Should be fun, I've done a fair amount of video and audio editing so I'm looking forward to the challenge.

I suppose instead of starting another topic I'll just post progress here - delivery ETA is 5 days.
Fantastic.

Please keep us posted on the progress. If Paramount (cheap, lazy bastards) won't do it, at least there are DIY options.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #42
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Missouri, USA

Just a little update - I received confirmation Saturday that both the box set and the single film have shipped, should have them this week!
Old 08-20-2013, 02:57 AM   #43
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Missouri, USA

And the "From Crystal Lake to Manhattan" box set arrived today! Quite a badass set I might add, has 8 movies to my previously stated 5, as well as a bunch of extra features.

EDIT: Curious - I'm debating whether I make my 3d version top bottom or side by side. The resolution is going to be that of DVD quality, from what I have read top bottom is probably the way I should go but does anyone have any input into which is better and what will salvage the most out of this?

Last edited by Jsmith82; 08-28-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:53 AM   #44

Jun 2011

Quote:
And the "From Crystal Lake to Manhattan" box set arrived today! Quite a badass set I might add, has 8 movies to my previously stated 5, as well as a bunch of extra features.

First film is on and ready - 342,316 frames C'mon version #2! Get here!

EDIT: Curious - I'm debating whether I make my 3d version top bottom or side by side. The resolution is going to be that of DVD quality, from what I have read top bottom is probably the way I should go but does anyone have any input into which is better and what will salvage the most out of this?
Over/under. That was the original layout on film. Also i would use the "import DVD" function in Nero Recode & encode both left & right sources to MKV using Nero Recode in Nero 12 & do the following:
Set the quality to 'very good'.
In the edit profile section, set the resolution to at least 1280 X 720.
In the same section, set resizing method to 'Super resolution'.
In the ripping mode section, remove all the subs & the stereo audio channel leaving only the 5.1 audio channel. Then set the codec for that to AC3 (pass through).
Both MKV files will be pretty big (about 4 gig each), but it'll give you the best possible quality left & right sources to work with.
Then it's just a matter matching frames & getting both to sync & then joining both into one over/under video file.

Last edited by dave4378; 08-20-2013 at 06:09 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:46 AM   #45
Special Member

May 2009
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4378 View Post
What i was saying about the different cuts is briefly mentioned in the description here.
Friday The 13th III 3D - Real 3d Clips Full Colour SBS Stereoscopic 3D) - YouTube
When i say different cuts i don't mean entire bits of footage & what not. We're only talking frames.
This guy is off to a good start with this compilation though. It's not perfect, but a good start. He's done it in side by side though.
i checked this out and in all honesty, it was awful.

lookign forward to seeing what you do with it though
Old 08-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #46

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrob View Post
i checked this out and in all honesty, it was awful.

lookign forward to seeing what you do with it though
For the most part yeah it's not best, but you have to remember this is a poor quality Youtube video with artifacts & whatnot which are detrimental to the 3D effect. However the credits, the washing line pole, the yo-yo & the old man holding the eyeball all work pretty well. That's kind of what you can expect from the rest, were it all done properly & in a viewable quality that doesn't degrade the 3D effect.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #47

Jun 2012
Illinois

I've seen the active shutter version ripped from the Japan VHD before and it wasn't terrible, but it still left alot to be desired in terms of quality since it was ripped from a VHD disc set. If this even looks decent it would be an improvement.

I've tried all the tweaks to watching the red/blue version I could and it still looks like crap.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #48
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Missouri, USA

Quote:
Over/under. That was the original layout on film. Also i would use the "import DVD" function in Nero Recode & encode both left & right sources to MKV using Nero Recode in Nero 12 & do the following:
Set the quality to 'very good'.
In the edit profile section, set the resolution to at least 1280 X 720.
In the same section, set resizing method to 'Super resolution'.
In the ripping mode section, remove all the subs & the stereo audio channel leaving only the 5.1 audio channel. Then set the codec for that to AC3 (pass through).
Both MKV files will be pretty big (about 4 gig each), but it'll give you the best possible quality left & right sources to work with.
Then it's just a matter matching frames & getting both to sync & then joining both into one over/under video file.
Dave you have now sparked my interest with your post above, but it looks like I would have to pay for Nero to get that feature - the free trial I'm guessing would watermark the MKV. Can you confirm if you've tried the trial version and the outcome?

For the sake of the project, I need to keep the sequential creation process free - I figure with my purchases for both films, I've already bought the 3D release in a way, the price is right in line.

EDIT: Thanks everyone for the input, over/under it is.

EDIT #2: I am open to suggestions to up-convert the 720x480. I realize we're getting into pixel stretching so in the end it may not help anything at all but like I said, open to suggestions if anyone has them.

EDIT #3: After loads of researching, unless somebody has an amazing suggestion, I don't think I will be trying to alter the video resolution - looks mostly like yes, you can upscale the video but to no better quality, you're stuck with what you have. Maybe I'll run a sharpen filter over it but that would be about all, may be a "leave good enough alone" situation.

EDIT #4: VDub - this takes out the dis-assembly / reassembly stage entirely (which is mean on memory when not compressing the images to maintain the best quality).

like I said based on frame count IE from specified X to Y -> save, this will allow me to be sure each clip is the same length and by comparison of frames I can find the exact frame on each camera to start each clip so they will match, for instance a clip on left cam starts from frame 0 and goes through frame 3,550. I now know I need the right cam clip to match 3550 frames - or if the right cam for that clip is shorter I now know I need to cut off the left to match, but for examples sake lets say the the right cut is 2 frames longer than the left footage - to match this up I need to start that clip on frame 2 and go through frame 3,552. Or vise versa, I can start the right at 0 and export through 3550 leaving out 3551 and 3552 which would throw the frames off by 2 when all is said and done.

Fingers crossed the mailman brought me a surprise today....... :P

Last edited by Jsmith82; 08-28-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:51 AM   #49

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpapp25 View Post
I've seen the active shutter version ripped from the Japan VHD before and it wasn't terrible, but it still left alot to be desired in terms of quality since it was ripped from a VHD disc set. If this even looks decent it would be an improvement.

I've tried all the tweaks to watching the red/blue version I could and it still looks like crap.
I have 2 different versions of the the film in field sequential 3D which are now unusable due to CRT picture tube TVs being obsolete.
First one i ever bought was sourced from the Japanese VHD. The second one i bought years later however, was constructed using the same two left & right sources mentioned in this thread. The quality of the second was reasonably decent, especially back then & compared to the previous versions, but the compression rate was high due to being squeezed onto a single layer DVDr in DVD format. That's how i found out that the left & right camera sources were available across several different release though. The guy who ran the site i bought it from told me about it & explained how he made his version.

Quote:
I had to dump FAB from the mix, though free it watermarks without purchase which I didn't realize. Not a huge problem though, mission has been accomplished. However Dave you have now sparked my interest with your post above, but it looks like I would have to pay for Nero to get that feature - the free trial I'm guessing would watermark the MKV. Can you confirm if you've tried the trial version and the outcome?

I watched part of the film last night, what I have looks like a good cap 720x480 res.

EDIT: Thanks everyone for the input, over/under it is.

EDIT #2: I am open to suggestions to up-convert the 720x480. I realize we're getting into pixel stretching so in the end it may not help anything at all but like I said, open to suggestions if anyone has them.

EDIT #3: After loads of researching, unless somebody has an amazing suggestion, I don't think I will be trying to alter the video resolution - looks mostly like yes, you can upscale the video but to no better quality, you're stuck with what you have. Maybe I'll run a sharpen filter over it but that would be about all, may be a "leave good enough alone" situation.

E
Fingers crossed the mailman brought me a surprise today....... :P
Jsmith82, i just bought my copy of Nero 12 from a store. I don't bother with trial & pirated software these days, it's a waste of time. It cost me around $80 or so AUD, but it was well worth it seeing as i use it for a lot. I ripped/encoded these using the method i described above & the quality looked pretty good for DVD rips. Sure it wasn't anywhere near bluray quality, but it was a slight improvement.
You should probably stick to what you think is best though. That said, you wanna keep the quality, bit rate & file size as high as it can possibly go on the finished product. In my book, there's no such thing as overkill when it comes to quality.

Last edited by dave4378; 08-21-2013 at 02:17 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:48 AM   #50
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Missouri, USA

Quote:

Jsmith82, i just bought my copy of Nero 12 from a store. I don't bother with trial & pirated software these days, it's a waste of time. It cost me around $80 or so AUD, but it was well worth it seeing as i use it for a lot. I ripped/encoded these using the method i described above & the quality looked pretty good for DVD rips. Sure it wasn't anywhere near bluray quality, but it was a slight improvement.
You should probably stick to what you think is best though. That said, you wanna keep the quality, bit rate & file size as high as it can possibly go on the finished product. In my book, there's no such thing as overkill when it comes to quality.
I totally agree, also maybe my reply came off wrong but I don't pirate software either, my interests in keeping the remainder of this project free revolve around utilizing the freeware at my disposal and not turning this into an investment. I don't have justification to spend the money at this time.

Now waiting on version 2 to arrive which tracking hasn't updated in 2 days...

Feeling like a kid on Christmas Eve here, haha - tick tock.......

Last edited by Jsmith82; 08-28-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:05 AM   #51

Jun 2011

Quote:
I totally agree, also maybe my reply came off wrong but I don't pirate software either, my interests in keeping the remainder of this project free revolve around utilizing the freeware at my disposal and not turning this into an investment. I don't have justification to spend the money at this time.

That said, handlebrake and makemkv are pretty good, got the job done. I also tested my second method of extracting scenes with Vdub and it worked great. Now waiting on version 2 to arrive which tracking hasn't updated in 2 days...

Feeling like a kid on Christmas Eve here, haha - tick tock.......
That's fair enough. I wasn't having a dig for you wanting to get around having to pay for the software. But rather emphasizing that it can be difficult to find genuine working versions that don't eventually get flagged. I bought mine because i wanted the piece of mind & certainty of knowing that if i ever have to reformat, i'll have a full, valid, working version when i go to re-install the product any time down the track. Also the problem with Nero is if you don't own an installation of the product on a disc, you have to use an installation file that is a trial version. After a while those trial version EXEs all expire & none of them work. So any keys or cracks you may have become useless.
Hence why i don't bother anymore.
Also the OEM versions often have limited features & functionality. Plus the OEM versions are usually older versions of the software. Doubt there'd be an OEM version of of Nero 12 that was bundled with any drives or PCs at this stage.
It's not really worth the effort.

Last edited by dave4378; 08-22-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:27 AM   #52

Jun 2011

I can tell you why this movie & the 3D movies from the early 80s work so well & have extreme pop out & the more recent 3D efforts of the last 10 years don't. It's because the old 3D cameras used a method where by the 2 left & right lenses turned inwards towards each other when an object was poked towards the screen. If you watch that Youtube video i posted in the side by side split screen view with the 3D on your TV turned off, you'll notice when an object is being poked at the screen, the left & right views of that object are coming towards the screen on an angle towards each other. This is what creates the extreme pop out effect.
Whereas now, the 3D rigs basically have the 2 lenses only move closer or further apart from each other, but don't turn inwards. This is mostly James Cameron's doing when he devised the new 3D rigs. Because he's actually stated before that he hated the old pop out 3D & found it intrusive (um yeah that's the whole point). Yeah awesome James, a 3D effect that's not even remotely 3D at all :7.
That coupled with the fact that most of the stuff now is not even shot in 3D, but post converted.

EDIT: Just to clarify, when i say the 3D in this movie worked well, i meant the theatrical version in its original 3D process. The anaglyph version on the deluxe edition DVD/Bluray is not an accurate reflection of the 3D effect utilized in this film. What ever was done to it by the studio for the DVD/Bluray to create the anaglyph is not correct. That & the fact that it was not filmed for anaglyph.

Last edited by dave4378; 08-22-2013 at 01:48 AM.
Thanks given by:
keenly (10-29-2015)
Old 08-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #53

Aug 2013
Smile

very interesting information

I like many others look forward to the finished product

I also agree that I cannot understand for the life of me why this is not getting a release - its one of THE titles most 3d aficionados want !!!
Old 08-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #54
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Missouri, USA

I read this earlier today:

Quote:
On June 5, 2013, it was reported that Warner Bros. relinquished their film rights to the Friday the 13th series back to Paramount as part of a deal that allows Warner Bros. to co-produce Interstellar. One week later, Derek Mears revealed that Paramount is working with Platinum Dunes to make a new installment "as fast as possible"
Poses some questions - will they go 3D for another installment? Will pt.3 get a proper 3d br release while promoting? Have to watch and wait...

No new news for me, still waiting on #2 to arrive.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:36 PM   #55

Jun 2011

Quote:
I read this earlier today:

Poses some questions - will they go 3D for another installment? Will pt.3 get a proper 3d br release while promoting? Have to watch and wait...

No new news for me, still waiting on #2 to arrive.
Highly doubtful part III is gonna get an official bluray3D release anytime soon, unless someone like Shout/Scream Factory decides to get on board. They did do Halloween II & III. Probably unlikely though. If enough people email them about it though, who knows.
http://www.shoutfactory.com/?q=node/987
Their releases are the best out there at the moment though & put everyone else to shame.
Yes the source material for both the left & right lens camera views still exists, but Paramount have no intentions of creating new masters for any of these films. So don't hold your breath. Also the specs & details for the new boxset have already been announced. Same old masters, so same old anaglyph rubbish.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #56

Aug 2013

I have to agree that this classic 3d movie has been completely overlooked in favour of absolute rubbish....when will these production companies actually listen to the public who buy 3d ?!?!?!?!?!?

I personally think a thread should be started for a petition
Old 08-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #57
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Missouri, USA

KSSHHHT!

Red team this is blue team.

Eagle 2 has landed. Repeat, Eagle 2 has landed.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #58

Aug 2013

KSHHHT

report back to base with when mission complete ....repeat....report back to base when mission complete.... OVER

KSCHHT
Old 08-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #59

Mar 2011

I rarely post, but I've been lurking here forever. I'm DYING to see this film in non-red/blue 3D!
Old 08-28-2013, 01:42 AM   #60
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Missouri, USA

Through roughly 7 minutes - so far so good. HUGE problem matching the title sequence up which most know is a huge pop out moment. One version boasts a widescreen sequence, the other a standard cropped 4:3 - it's not that the sequences are different lengths or anything, it's that you can see more in the wide than the standard and the standard is.. squished? may be the word? The crops are different as well. I had to do some funny business with trimming, stretching, then resolution fitting but I think it turned out good. Blasts out of the screen.

What I'm finding extremely tough about this is one film is at 29.97FPS, the other is 59.94FPS which I know is BS but sure enough that is the speed it's at - even matching a sequence perfectly seems like there is an inevitable out of placement artifact here or there.

EDIT: To better explain what I'm talking about and the inevitable problem - it seems that the Deluxe @ 59.94 has a frame within frames once in a while - though a perfect match, once here or there something moves fast and it looks out of whack because this version has more frames of movement than the latter version.

Onward march!~ You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you just might find you get what you need

Last edited by Jsmith82; 08-28-2013 at 02:47 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Tags
3d movie, friday the 13th