Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.47

Parasite 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.89

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.90

Kylie Minogue: Aphrodite Les Folies - Live in London (Blu-ray)
$21.58

Dr. Seuss' The Lorax 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.66

Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.33

xXx: Return of Xander Cage 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.98

Inside Out 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

The Three Stooges in 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.00

Ready Player One 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.78

Flying Swords of Dragon Gate 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.39

Happy Feet Two 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.94

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Old 06-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitprod View Post
Warner has no control of the actual masters... And Paramount is not going to invest the money in something that is being sold as a package, and honestly has limited market value... It won't even be usable for broadcast since it seems the dominoes are beginning to collapse on the broadcast side.

ESPN is pulling the plug on their channel at the end of the year, and I don't think there enough revenue generated from Direct TV's channels to warrant maintaining them.

fitprod
It all makes sense (what you said in this post) and I appreciate the explanation.

I'm still disappointed but.....it's a hell of a release and package anyway!!
Old 08-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #22

Jun 2012
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmith82 View Post
If you have the time on your hands and a decent computer, you can create the film in true 3d. Of course the quality will not be that of blu but it should still be enjoyable.

Version 1:

Friday the 13th, Part 3, 3-D (Deluxe Edition) (2009)
This is a DVD release of the 2d version, and 3d anaglyph version.

Version 2:

Friday the 13th: From Crystal Lake to Manhattan Ultimate Collection (2004)
This is a DVD box set release of part 1 through Manhattan.

Now what I've read around the internet, one version's 2d feature was taken from the left camera, the other version's 2d feature was taken from the right.

You buy both movies, you have both cameras - total cost would be around 25.00. It would take a time investment on your behalf to combine them into a side by side / top bottom format (should be pretty simple with VirtualDub and Avisynth, both freeware online).

I will say again I read this online, but I've seen enough to strike my interest and plan on trying it soon. In the end if it doesn't work, at least I now have a box set of Jason movies.

Friday the 13th clips in TRUE 3D! - YouTube
So has anyone tried this yet? I have the deluxe edition and am seriously debating trying this. I've seen the Japanese field sequential version and the 3D on that left a lot to be desired.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:40 AM   #23
Special Member

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
I keep a couple of anaglyph movies.

When I think the new 3D is lame... I watch a few minutes of the anaglyph and presto.... the new style 3D is the most amazing technological feat EVAR!
Hahahaha... That is brilliant! Anaglyph is terrible for me since it seems to lose its effect after 15 minutes or so. If I take the glasses off then put them back on, it refreshes, but it seems like the anaglyph doesn't work so well for me

Speaking of Friday the 13th, I swear I saw a Friday the 13th film on Blu-ray 3D... it might have been the first one. I know I had a dream once where I was in a movie store and saw it on the shelf, but I also swear I saw it in real life. It might not have been Blu-ray 3D, but I thought it was.

I'm going crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-ray Neo View Post
The previous poster already answered your question...

NO.
Actually:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermoth View Post
Out of luck. There is no frame packed 3D Blu-Ray.
To an untrained reader, that does read as if they're saying the Blu-ray "doesn't come packed with glasses."

I'm still not sure what frame-packed means!
Old 08-11-2013, 03:54 AM   #24
Special Member

Oct 2011
Manila

The fact that they couldn't give this a real 3D treatment will have me passing on it. If you are going to put together this set, do it right. For me, I'll pass, I have the DVD set and several of the movies on Blu already. Maybe when this thing is way down in price I'll consider it. I don't personally think its worth the 95 dollar asking price. This set will be 39.99 or less within a year.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:38 AM   #25
Power Member

Dec 2009
Toronto, Canada

Disappointing. I'll also be waiting for a remastered, frame-packed 3-D Blu-Ray. Hopefully the other classic native 3-D titles like Creature from the Black Lagoon and Dial M for Murder sold well enough to help convince the studios to release the rest of the 80s and 50s 3-D flicks.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:57 AM   #26

Oct 2011

It would have been really nice if it included the real 3D version. I figured they wouldn't because they can release the real 3D version separate and get people to re-buy it again at a higher profiting price.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #27
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010

I bought the red and blue version back before there was 3D BD. I only watched it once, and not even all the way through. The 3D is terrible. There is a scene here and there that looks pretty cool, but otherwise not so much. However, it might look a little better on a larger screen than what I was using at the time. I think it was a thirty six inch.

But if they ever put out a 3D BD version I'd want pick it up.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:52 AM   #28
Power Member

Sep 2010
Los Angeles, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3D View Post
I bought the red and blue version back before there was 3D BD. I only watched it once, and not even all the way through. The 3D is terrible. There is a scene here and there that looks pretty cool, but otherwise not so much. However, it might look a little better on a larger screen than what I was using at the time. I think it was a thirty six inch.

But if they ever put out a 3D BD version I'd want pick it up.
I've seen it projected in 35mm polarized 3D, it looks awesome from start to finish. Never judge a 3D production by it's (always inferior) anaglyph version.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:54 AM   #29
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Missouri, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpapp25 View Post
So has anyone tried this yet? I have the deluxe edition and am seriously debating trying this. I've seen the Japanese field sequential version and the 3D on that left a lot to be desired.
I have not but it's been on my mind and I think I might, possibly tomorrow I'll order the discs from Amazon - the YouTube clip I posted was supposedly created via the same method. It would definitely be a project and would take some effort and time to complete, also be sure you get the exact copies I listed above. I'm game to do it, I'm just sad there would not be a legal way for me to share what I do.

I have a (free) method to this madness, this is what I plan to do so take it and run with it if you choose to try.

Foremost - get the 2 movies on your computer by whatever means you choose. In my case, I don't care about the menus or special features or any of that - only creating a single 3d properly synced MKV file.

Step 1 - Getting a master audio track: DVDFab - Free version to strip audio off either movie so you have a master track to add back in later. I've used this method for another project and stripped audio from an original 2d source, works very well (ended with a 1.5 hour MP3 that synced back perfectly)

Step 2 - Tearing the movies into frames then assembling scenes: VirtualDub - Rip each movie apart to frames, reassemble scene by scene labeling each scene as the left or right, in the end you will have a bunch of short clips that when combined make up your entire movie. for example:
s_001_left.avi
s_001_right.avi
s_002_left.avi
s_002_right.avi

(additionally, Though you would not be able to bump the quality of the film to BD, at the point you strip the film into frames before reassembling scenes - you could use GIMP (another free program) to run a bulk job on the images and try to clean them up a bit, just create the effect needed (probably a sharpen effect, contrast adjustment, and brightness) then run the job on the images via their order (when using VirtualDub to strip a video into frames they save in a numerical sequence under the same file name). This could make the film look better before you reassemble the scenes)

Step 3 - combing 2 scenes (a left and right) into a single 3d scene: Stereomovie Maker - Take your left and right perspectives for each clip, and clip by clip combine them into the side by side / over under format, whichever you choose and save the single 3D clips one by one, this would also let you sync the scenes to be sure they match (nothing worse than 3d that is off by a frame) and also you could (using the anaglyph preview) make sure it's not inverted

Step 4 - Assembling your 3d scenes into a single video file: VirtualDub - Reassemble the movie with your 3d clips, save your master video. Provided that you name your "3d" clips the same name but in a numeric order, example s3d_001, s3d_002, s3d_003, etc.. You can set this up to run as a bulk job saving yourself a lot of time (give it direction, it will assemble itself then save at the end to the directory you gave as the name you gave)

Step 5 - Adding the audio to your 3d video file: VLC Player - Load up your master video, Load up your master audio, sync the vocals back to the film in the case it is off, save your master .mkv

Every program above is legally free, with the exception of DVDFab - that is not a free program for the major features however there is a 30 day trial on all functions, and I am pretty sure the function needed to strip audio off a DVD is completely free for life.

Once completed you could dump to a USB drive and watch it that way, or burn the file to a BD disc. Shoot, you could even download a freeware BD authoring program and create a menu with audio, then print off your own BD disc cover and a case cover to create your personalized F13th3D to throw on your shelve.

Damn that's a lot of work for this movie though lol, wish they would just scan and release.

Last edited by Jsmith82; 08-15-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:05 AM   #30

Jun 2011

I've been messing around with this idea for years. Here's the problem. The right eye view from the bare bones 2000 release & the Crystal Lake To Manhattan boxset & the left eye view from 2D version provided on the 2009 Deluxe Edition are both different cuts of the movie. So syncing the two up is the real issue. I'm not that savvy with video editing software.
Has anyone succeeded in doing this yet?
By the way the original lay out for this movie was was the left & right squeezed onto a single strip of film in the over under layout.

Last edited by dave4378; 08-15-2013 at 02:39 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:37 AM   #31

Jun 2011

Oh by the way, converting from anaglyph to side by side or over under & pulling the colour information from the 2D version provided on the Deluxe Edition is not going to give you a great result. The anaglyph 3D is already flawed to start with & isn't correct. Not to mention the anaglyph version has the opening credits in 2D, whereas originally the opening credits were in 3D. The best method is definitely to use the two full color 2D versions from the two different releases & get them both synced up. This will give you a result the same as what was screened theatrically.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:56 AM   #32
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Missouri, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4378 View Post
I've been messing around with this for years. Here's the problem. The right eye view from the bare bones 2000 release & the Crystal Lake To Manhattan boxset & the 2D version provided on the 2009 Deluxe Edition are both different cuts of the movie. So syncing the two up is the real issue. I'm not that savvy with video editing software.
Has anyone succeeded in doing this yet?
By the way the original lay out for this movie was was the left & right squeezed onto a single strip of film in the over under layout.
I didn't know the cuts were different however that makes sense and I'm not surprised, that being said though you could get around that with the method I posted above. You will want to rip the master audio off the shorter version of the film obviously as the other longer version will most likely have all the scenes that that the short does plus whatever extras. In the end your final "3d" cut will be the shorter film of the 2.

Also the beauty of using VirtualDub to break a movie down into its frames then reassembling particular groups of the frames into short scene clips is that you can tweak what frames are used to create said scene - so for instance if you have a kill scene that lasts 10 seconds on one film, but there is an extra gory stab on the other film making the scene last 15 seconds, you can cut out those extra frames to match up with the first one. When I have done this in the past, I created my scenes by grouping frames in order through a particular camera cut. Once the camera would cut to a different angle or cut to anything really, I would compile the next scene, and so on..

Then using Stereomovie Maker to assemble your right / left scene clips into a true 3d clip you can actually control each video source's starting frame so in the case something slips during the assembly stage, you could adjust one of the sources up or downwards a frame or two to be sure they matched.

VDub can easily then reassemble all of your 3d clips into a single master video.

Pending that everything from the shorter version of the film is in the longer version, if it is than nothing will be needed to audio sync however if the longer version is missing anything the shorter has there will have to be a cut scene and a snip in the audio.. that is not a big deal at all though and I've worked through it before on other projects.

So I'm on board, I know I can create the 3d cut so hell, game on! I'll purchase the discs tomorrow, maybe I'll start a new topic to track the progress.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:56 AM   #33

Oct 2011

Someone has already separated the red&blue Blu-Ray into a HD over under. I've already got it.

Last edited by tigermoth; 08-15-2013 at 02:57 AM. Reason: I
Old 08-15-2013, 02:58 AM   #34
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Missouri, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4378 View Post
Oh by the way, converting from anaglyph to side by side or over under & pulling the colour information from the 2D version provided on the Deluxe Edition is not going to give you a great result. The anaglyph 3D is already flawed to start with & isn't correct. Not to mention the anaglyph version has the opening credits in 2D, whereas originally the opening credits were in 3D. The best method is definitely to use the two full color 2D versions from the two different releases & get them both synced up. This will give you a result the same as what was screened theatrically.
I had no intent on using one of the anaglyph versions. The 2d version on each disc would be used as one is a left cam, the other is a right. Full color, no ana-crap damage haha
Old 08-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #35

Jun 2011

What i was saying about the different cuts is briefly mentioned in the description here.
When i say different cuts i don't mean entire bits of footage & what not. We're only talking frames.
This guy is off to a good start with this compilation though. It's not perfect, but a good start. He's done it in side by side though.

Last edited by dave4378; 08-15-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #36
Special Member

Dec 2011

Quote:
Someone has already separated the red&blue Blu-Ray into a HD over under. I've already got it.
Where did you get it and how is the 3D?
Old 08-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #37
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Omaha NE
-
-
-

Quote:
Is that even possible? I have Sony Vegas video editing software which allows you to create 3D video to anaglyph and side by side and can convert back and forth. Wouldn't the anaglyph BD be a single file? Not sure if I am saying it correctly, but the red and blue images are overlapping as one image, right?
Old 08-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #38

Aug 2012

I know I sure as hell won't be spending any of my money on that Friday The 13th collection, Yes I'm happy that they're finally bringing all of the Friday The 13th movies on Blu-Ray especially Jason Goes To Hell. But they give us all of those movies and not even have the decency to redo part 3 in a true 3D remaster, that collection alone based on that is a definite pass for me. I'll just wait to get those other Friday The 13th movies (except part 3) when they're released individually.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #39
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Missouri, USA

Done deal. Just bought both the "required" movies, the single disc was 1 dollar used, the return to crystal lake dvd set was 17 dollars used. Should be fun, I've done a fair amount of video and audio editing so I'm looking forward to the challenge.

I suppose instead of starting another topic I'll just post progress here - delivery ETA is 5 days.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:13 AM   #40

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinerama View Post
Where did you get it and how is the 3D?
I got it from the internet. The 3D is great at times but also doesn't work a lot of the time with the frequent pop-outs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomik kinder View Post
Is that even possible? I have Sony Vegas video editing software which allows you to create 3D video to anaglyph and side by side and can convert back and forth. Wouldn't the anaglyph BD be a single file? Not sure if I am saying it correctly, but the red and blue images are overlapping as one image, right?
You can only extract them in B&W or with a bit of colour in one eye(not recommended).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Tags
3d movie, friday the 13th