Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Millennium Actress (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Dragon Ball Super: Part 9 (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Star Blazers 2202: Space Battleship Yamato  Part Two (Blu-ray)
$45.69

Goblin Slayer: Season One (Blu-ray)
$64.99

My Hero Academia: Season Three Part Two (Blu-ray)
$41.25

Goblin Slayer: Season One (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Spirited Away (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Cyborg 009 - The Cyborg Soldier: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU: S1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales (Blu-ray)
$28.49

Drifters: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99

Hunter x Hunter: The Last Mission (Blu-ray)
$19.99
22 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime > Anime on TV and General Discussion

Old 01-23-2014, 10:13 PM   #21
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Watch Clannad if you get the chance, preferably the Japanese dub first. It is not sci-fi by any stretch, but a great, touching series.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:33 PM   #22
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012
Midwest, U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellymon View Post
Ah, that's good to know Seafox. Those were mostly blind buys, I just thought the plots were interesting and the style seems cool and they were cheap (the only DVD's I'm allowing myself to buy are thinpaks and limited editions). I will have to pay attention to the A/V quality when finally watching them and make sure they are at least enjoyable. I tend not to mind too much though as long as there aren't billions of artifacts and no strobe light effects or anything that's going to damage my health lol
They're both unique series and the Kino A/V quality isn't bad at all, it's just something I noted when I was renting the DVDs. Makes me wonder if the show didn't sell that well when it was first coming out and the producer decided to scale back the budget of the home video release. I'm also not sure if that same mastering was used in all releases, but it likely was unless they reduced the disc count later like you see with some thinpack and SAVE editions of two-cor shows (where they go from six volumes to a 4-disc collection for example).

That's a great price for Kino, though. Would tempt me to pick it up if I didn't already have the discs.

The blurriness in Boogiepop Phantom is something I've seen mentioned before -- likely on the original discs it's similar to what I saw when I rented the Hellsing TV series on DVD (and that was disappointing but certainly not unwatchable). I'm curious if it's fully subbed on disc. The files I had used the R1 subs, but there was no subtitles on the next episode previews for some reason. I'd like to think it was an oversight by the ripper, but it was a quality-oriented group and I don't recall anyone commenting on the missing subs on their site.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:55 AM   #23
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
East of Ale Asylum

I don't think Boogiepop Phantom looks all that bad....it gave it an atmosphere that was relevant to the series. Just my opinion on that though....
Old 01-25-2014, 03:27 AM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
the guy on the couch

Just finished attack on titan and I liked it BUT... please tell me more is coming cause they got to almost nothing. Feel like I just finished a season of lost
Old 01-25-2014, 08:14 PM   #25

Jan 2014
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaFox View Post
I rented out Kino's Journey years ago when I first saw it. One thing to note about the Kino's Journey discs: They used a dual-layer disc on the first volume and single-layer for the other three.

I've heard there are no good DVD releases of Boogiepop Phantom.
The files I have are encoded from a region 3 disc, and the audio was direct copied as it was only 192kbps on the disc.
Would you know if there's a difference between these 2 boxsets ?

http://www.amazon.com/Inuyasha-Seaso...yasha+season+1

http://www.amazon.com/Inuyasha-Seaso...yasha+season+1
Old 01-25-2014, 08:54 PM   #26
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jajuka89 View Post
I'm pretty sure the only difference is the packaging. Viz Media was releasing Season boxsets in Digipacks. But now they use Standard DVD cases that can hold multiple discs. So the older release is Digipack while the newer one is a regular DVD case.

I could be wrong, but I remember Viz Media doing this on some of their other older titles that have been released in Digipack Season boxsets like the older episodes of Bleach.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:01 PM   #27
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaFox View Post
I rented out Kino's Journey years ago when I first saw it. One thing to note about the Kino's Journey discs: They used a dual-layer disc on the first volume and single-layer for the other three.

I've heard there are no good DVD releases of Boogiepop Phantom.
The files I have are encoded from a region 3 disc, and the audio was direct copied as it was only 192kbps on the disc.
Kino's Journey is 3 discs in the Complete Collection releases while it used 4 seperate DVD volumes.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:32 AM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Tallahassee, Fl

I was wondering, does the Paprika transfer hold up?
Old 01-26-2014, 04:38 AM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012
Midwest, U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONPHASE View Post
I'm pretty sure the only difference is the packaging.
Especially when the newer one even says "repackage" on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONPHASE View Post
Kino's Journey is 3 discs in the Complete Collection releases while it used 4 seperate DVD volumes.
It was four volumes when I rented it. Four ep on the first volume, and three on the others. Even with a switch to all dual-layer discs it will be a little more compressed in the complete collection, on one of the discs at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJulien View Post
I was wondering, does the Paprika transfer hold up?
It's noted as being a little soft, but that fits the mood of the film. I could stand with it being a little sharper really, but the large white subtitles (with thin outline) and windowboxing are the only really annoying things about the release.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:32 AM   #30

Dec 2009

Since it is highly unlikely the US will ever get a blu ray release of Vividred Operation. Any suggestions on were to get the blu rays? I saw this on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=

And was curious as to how many Volumes there are.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:02 AM   #31
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Hazle Township, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoz View Post
Since it is highly unlikely the US will ever get a blu ray release of Vividred Operation. Any suggestions on were to get the blu rays? I saw this on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=

And was curious as to how many Volumes there are.
There are 5 volumes to the series on the JP blu releases. Best bet to get them all would be cdjapan:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/search3.htm...20&order=score

Unfortunately there are no English subs and no audio option other than Japanese. There is however a complete DVD box set with English Subs that was put out by Aniplex of America:

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6...em/99672/4/0/0
Old 02-17-2014, 01:15 AM   #32

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlost1 View Post
There are 5 volumes to the series on the JP blu releases. Best bet to get them all would be cdjapan:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/search3.htm...20&order=score

Unfortunately there are no English subs and no audio option other than Japanese. There is however a complete DVD box set with English Subs that was put out by Aniplex of America:

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6...em/99672/4/0/0

Thanks for the info. Shame that the Japanese blus don't have subs at least.
I guess I'll just continue to watch it on Hulu + for now.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:45 AM   #33
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA
Cool

Genocyber. It's not for everyone. Only for a few really, but a notorious one you should see. Pushes the limits of how bleak a show can be. The animation shows its age and its budget, but makes up for it with grotesque imagery and slamming action sequences set to pulsing electronic beats. Think Akira made by a suicidal misanthrope. Avoid if you absolutely can't handle gore.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:12 PM   #34
Banned

Aug 2010

The OP seems to like more realistic and serious anime, just like me - so one genre he may also want to delve into that has not been mentioned yet are the serious, action-based "Girls with Guns" anime, like Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom, Noir, Gunslinger Girl, Black Lagoon, and Jormungand... they're all right at the top of my Top Ten anime list...
Old 02-17-2014, 06:07 PM   #35
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Hazle Township, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREYMAX 3D View Post
The OP seems to like more realistic and serious anime, just like me - so one genre he may also want to delve into that has not been mentioned yet are the serious, action-based "Girls with Guns" anime, like Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom, Noir, Gunslinger Girl, Black Lagoon, and Jormungand... they're all right at the top of my Top Ten anime list...
Did you happen to get to Strike Witches or Girls und Panzer yet.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:40 PM   #36
Banned

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlost1 View Post
Did you happen to get to Strike Witches or Girls und Panzer yet.
Not yet - I did see the first two or three eps of Girls und Panzer, but I mainly got that one for the tank battles... I'm still scared to open my Strike Witches, lol...
Old 02-17-2014, 09:32 PM   #37

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREYMAX 3D View Post
Not yet - I did see the first two or three eps of Girls und Panzer, but I mainly got that one for the tank battles... I'm still scared to open my Strike Witches, lol...
Strike...oh haha what a show...
Old 02-17-2014, 09:33 PM   #38
Blu-ray Archduke

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoz View Post
Strike...oh haha what a show...
ooooooo, that reminds me ... I need to pick up season 2.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:29 PM   #39

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
ooooooo, that reminds me ... I need to pick up season 2.
As do I. Waiting for a good price.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:46 AM   #40
Banned

Aug 2010

Well I blind-bought both Blu-ray S.A.V.E. editions of Strike Witches at Rightstuf for $14.99 each, just because they were so cheap - but I'm still considering returning them, as I haven't opened them yet. I watched 5 or 6 eps on Youtube today, and I just don't go for all that cutesy girl with animal appendages / fanservice stuff - I'm not some pervy kid... And those Striker legs are just plain weird...

I think I'd rather put that $30 towards more serious titles like my Psycho-Pass / Mardock Scramble 3 preorder...

Last edited by FREYMAX 3D; 02-18-2014 at 05:50 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime > Anime on TV and General Discussion