Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
DreamWorks 17-Movie Collection (iTunes)
$79.99
2 hrs ago
Batman 4 Film Collection (iTunes)
$19.99
18 hrs ago
Shazam! (iTunes)
$9.99
18 hrs ago
The Silence of the Lambs (iTunes)
$4.99
18 hrs ago
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (iTunes)
$9.99
18 hrs ago
Spaceballs (iTunes)
$4.99
18 hrs ago
Venom / Spider-man: Homecoming (iTunes)
$17.99
18 hrs ago
How To Train Your Dragon Trilogy (iTunes)
$24.99
2 hrs ago
Doctor Who, Season 11 (iTunes)
$9.99

Batman: The Complete Animated Series (iTunes)
$59.99

Mad Max (iTunes)
$4.99
18 hrs ago
The Dark Knight Trilogy (iTunes)
$24.99
18 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > iTunes

Old 09-12-2017, 11:33 PM   #41
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobz View Post
iTunes purchases don't count towards your iCloud storage quota.

Has there been a date for when 4k movies will be available for purchase? I can't find one but I'm assuming it will be the same day as the new Apple TV releases?
I'm assuming that's the day it launches.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:48 PM   #42
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinvegas7 View Post
Wait, really? I used to get messages that I couldn't purchase because I didn't have enough room which is why I started paying for the extra space in the first place.
The room is referring to storage on your iPhone, not he cloud. I used to get this message sometimes.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:48 PM   #43

Aug 2016

That makes sense. Thank you!
Old 09-13-2017, 07:48 AM   #44

Sep 2017
England

As someone who has avoided itunes/apple for many years this was the only part of the show I thought wow to.

For them to offer 4k HDR movies at the same price and to offer free upgrades is a great thing to do. It really puts pressure onto google play movies, hulu and now onto 4k blu ray due to the price. I'd switch over my entire movie collection to apple tv if only it weren't for the fact that there's no support for android phones. I'd be interested to see what bit-rate the films are provided at.

In fact a little disappointed in google right now. For months i've harrowed support to provide 4k/hdr to customer in the UK but they persist in only being in america I believe. Now they've been pipped to the post... Well done to apple

Last edited by IronSoldier; 09-13-2017 at 07:54 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:46 AM   #45

Jun 2014

The only downside appears to be the lack of Lossless /Atmos and only 16/48 rate for both movies and music as Apple demonstrate once more their lack of respect for all things audio . Other than that it’s the killer app ��

M
Old 09-13-2017, 02:31 PM   #46

Feb 2015

Okay I've rewatched the presentation

Six studios

20th Century
Lionsgate
Paramount
Universal
Warner Brothers
Sony Pictures

No Disney as already noted

Now so of those are currently UV codes only when releasing on Blu Ray - discussion point do we think that they will go to UV and iTunes with this tie in
Old 09-13-2017, 03:41 PM   #47

Aug 2012
Williamstown, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by e14 View Post
Okay I've rewatched the presentation

Six studios

20th Century
Lionsgate
Paramount
Universal
Warner Brothers
Sony Pictures

No Disney as already noted

Now so of those are currently UV codes only when releasing on Blu Ray - discussion point do we think that they will go to UV and iTunes with this tie in
I know most Universal movies I've gone through had ITunes codes along with the UV. I made the mistake of not also redeeming them in ITunes because I was totally into the UV ecosystem. This whole 4k upgrade thing to me would be enough to jump ship to Apple if Vudu doesn't match it.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:00 PM   #48
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
United States

This free UHD upgrade definitely rewards customer loyalty. So if you've been loyally purchasing all your movies on iTunes, you're in for a real treat. If you haven't been loyal, you will be now.

I've purchased quite a bit on iTunes, but I also buy from VUDU a lot and Amazon sometimes. Apple just bought me as an exclusive customer now, unless VUDU and Amazon give us free UHD upgrades too in the future.

Digital haters used to say that we'd have to repurchase our whole collection all over again if we wanted UHD, just like physical media collectors. How wrong they were.
Thanks given by:
flyry (09-14-2017), IronSoldier (09-13-2017), jhrobinson (09-13-2017), peterv (09-19-2017), rpvee (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 04:11 PM   #49

May 2009

This physical/digital collector approves! Apple did real good on this one.
Thanks given by:
jhrobinson (09-13-2017), master gandhi (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 05:29 PM   #50

May 2017

I think secretly this is also the death of SD films at least on iTunes Digital. I think buying the film in its full resolution will be the only option going forward, and it should be - who wants to own standard definition films anymore? Does anybody even own a standard definition tv?

I think come 9/22 you will have the option to either rent movies or purchase them. The movies will be available in the highest resolution and it will be that simple.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:30 PM   #51

Mar 2013
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnelson View Post

I think come 9/22 you will have the option to either rent movies or purchase them. The movies will be available in the highest resolution and it will be that simple.
Sounds good to me, as long as the option is there in the new ATV to stream the titles in HD if one so desires. Not everyone has the bandwidth to stream UHD.
Thanks given by:
SirYodaJedi (09-15-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 06:11 PM   #52

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnelson View Post
I think secretly this is also the death of SD films at least on iTunes Digital. I think buying the film in its full resolution will be the only option going forward, and it should be - who wants to own standard definition films anymore? Does anybody even own a standard definition tv?

If this is true then I hope we get SD to HD upgrades someday. I still have about 40 or 50 SD titles in my iTunes collection that I have hidden because I refuse to watch them in SD (and I have the BD for them as well). They upgrade folks music to iTunes Plus back in the day, now HD to UHD. Don't understand why they won't do the same for SD titles.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:18 PM   #53

May 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTide1017 View Post
If this is true then I hope we get SD to HD upgrades someday. I still have about 40 or 50 SD titles in my iTunes collection that I have hidden because I refuse to watch them in SD (and I have the BD for them as well). They upgrade folks music to iTunes Plus back in the day, now HD to UHD. Don't understand why they won't do the same for SD titles.
That's what I meant. If they remove the SD option, whatever the highest resolution available for a film is what you get. Everyone's film libraries - even if you have SD films will be updated. That's my hunch anyways.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:10 PM   #54
Special Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by master gandhi View Post
This free UHD upgrade definitely rewards customer loyalty. So if you've been loyally purchasing all your movies on iTunes, you're in for a real treat. If you haven't been loyal, you will be now.

I've purchased quite a bit on iTunes, but I also buy from VUDU a lot and Amazon sometimes. Apple just bought me as an exclusive customer now, unless VUDU and Amazon give us free UHD upgrades too in the future.

Digital haters used to say that we'd have to repurchase our whole collection all over again if we wanted UHD, just like physical media collectors. How wrong they were.
Yeah I'm one of these.

Apple gets a bit of a raw deal because of its "closed garden", but I've always just preferred Apples way of doing things. I like the ATV UI and it's easy for me and the wife to use. She saw the UHD upgrade announcement and immediately said "you have tons of HD films that will be getting an eventual upgrade don't you?" and saw me smile and nod. And now more UK catch-up services are coming to the ATV4K, it's only going to get more usage!
Thanks given by:
master gandhi (09-13-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 12:06 AM   #55
Expert Member

Aug 2008
L.A., CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobz View Post
iTunes purchases don't count towards your iCloud storage quota.

Has there been a date for when 4k movies will be available for purchase? I can't find one but I'm assuming it will be the same day as the new Apple TV releases?
A lot of the newest releases (especially the last couple of months) are already in Apple's system as 4k, so they will be available instantly.

I suspect, that even though Apple says the upgrades are free, it will take a while for studios to catch up their 'back catalog' of UHD titles on iTunes (unless Apple has really been pushing them to do it, which is possible...). Fortunately, that back catalog isn't very large... I would assume (just a guess though) that any old movies that get UHD treatment after the 4K box comes out will be updated... Especially for the studios that give iTunes redemption codes with the discs...
And any new titles should definitely be in 4K from the day they are released. Even the studios don't want to be bothered uploading a 1080p _and_ 2160p video, so they upload the best possible and get it over with...
Old 09-14-2017, 12:11 AM   #56

Apr 2014
479 via 318

Quote:

My only wish is that I could go back in time 4 years or so and buy into iTunes instead of getting swept up in UV.
Thanks given by:
master gandhi (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 01:43 AM   #57
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakkMajik3000 View Post
My only wish is that I could go back in time 4 years or so and buy into iTunes instead of getting swept up in UV.
I've invested heavily in iTunes, but also in VUDU, so my collection is a bit scattered. Many are hoping/speculating that places like VUDU will feel compelled to do this free upgrade too in the future, so it might not be so bad. We might have 4K everywhere eventually.
Thanks given by:
flyry (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 07:41 PM   #58
Expert Member

Feb 2017

Quote:
I've invested heavily in iTunes, but also in VUDU, so my collection is a bit scattered. Many are hoping/speculating that places like VUDU will feel compelled to do this free upgrade too in the future, so it might not be so bad. We might have 4K everywhere eventually.
The good thing is Vudu's app is now on apple tv. If only Google Play would put their app their, Apple can probably combine and show the whole collection through their TV app. Can't wait for that day.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:57 PM   #59
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_max2k2 View Post
The good thing is Vudu's app is now on apple tv. If only Google Play would put their app their, Apple can probably combine and show the whole collection through their TV app. Can't wait for that day.
The closest to having Google Play on an Apple TV is YouTube, where you have access to your Google Play library. I haven't watched my movies through YouTube, though, so I don't know what the quality is like.
Thanks given by:
IronWaffle (09-15-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 08:47 PM   #60
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2008
Durham, NC

Quote:
The closest to having Google Play on an Apple TV is YouTube, where you have access to your Google Play library. I haven't watched my movies through YouTube, though, so I don't know what the quality is like.
The quality in 2017 should be better. It's watchable but serious banding with the picture quality.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > iTunes