Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$34.99
21 hrs ago
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$35.49
23 hrs ago
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99

The Fly Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.62

Suspiria 4K (Blu-ray)
$36.04

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Psycho: Complete 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Ultraseven: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72
20 hrs ago
Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Ultraseven: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$27.04
2 hrs ago
The Anne Bancroft Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.62
3 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 08-23-2018, 04:25 PM   #21
Special Member

Oct 2010

Blu-Ray players have a very limited range of video formats they will play from USB media, as they are intended to play simple Internet downloads and home movies. Some will do ISO playback, but that's very rare. For your usage, you're better off just getting an Android media box that you can update over time and connect whatever you want to it, as those will support almost any regular external USB HDD or SSD using common file systems.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:25 PM   #22

Oct 2015

So what about the LG WiFi Smart Blu-Ray Player - BP350?
Old 08-27-2018, 09:53 PM   #23
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBen View Post
So what about the LG WiFi Smart Blu-Ray Player - BP350?
I have an LG and it's okay with drives and decent with playback, but it depends on file size and audio formats in some cases.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:26 PM   #24

Oct 2015

Ok. Thanks for the info and help everyone.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:52 PM   #25
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBen View Post
Ok. Thanks for the info and help everyone.
I think if you're after something that can replicate disc playback then you're better off with an Android box or a mini-PC, you'll eventually run into issues with a BD player. It's hard to find ones that recognize chapters marks and subtitles in some cases.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:51 AM   #26

Jun 2019
Default Oppo 103

I have 5 x 4TB drives (20 TB all Western Digital) attached to my Oppo 103. The biggest partition is 4TB's. There are a ton of subfolders and partitions as well. I have the drives attached to the Oppo with a powered USB Hub plugged into the Oppo. The drives are also powered. The Oppo has no problem playing files exceeding 50 GB's. I'm not sure what I would do without it.

Oh and it plays all music and video file formats I have thrown at it. Except UHD formats of course. I can't think of any type it doesn't play off the hard drive. It also plays a Blu-Ray within an AVCHD folder. So you can put an entire Blu-Ray disc including menus etc within an AVCHD folder on the hard drive and it plays as if you actually had put the Blu-Ray disc in the machine. To me this is a huge plus.

Last edited by SACDGUYTOO; 06-28-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:57 AM   #27

Jun 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
Many modern Blu-ray players like the OPPO UDP-203 well allow one to connect up to a external 16TB hard drive using a USB 3.0 connection as long as the hard drive is formatted as exFAT or NTFS. I verified 10TB worked on the latest OPPO players. In theory Sony should also work up to 16TB but I have not tested that size on a Sony.
The Oppos are the best at this. I have only managed to get up to two 4 TB drives attached to my Sony X800. And for the Sony you can only use one drive with a built in hub. The machine seems to get confused with multiple hubs.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:02 AM   #28

Jun 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
I tried a 1GB and 2GB USB 3.0 drives and they worked fine, but my 3GB powered drive wasn't recognized.

I think the simplest thing to do is find a player you like then check out the Amazon comments to see if they support larger drives or ask on this forum.
If you partitioned the 3TB drive into 1 and 2 TB partitions it would probably work.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:57 AM   #29
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2007
KIC8462852

Quote:
Originally Posted by SACDGUYTOO View Post
If you partitioned the 3TB drive into 1 and 2 TB partitions it would probably work.
No, it won't. That is the main symptom that the player doesn't read GPT disks, which is the only partition table on Windows allowing disk sizes bigger than 2TB. Re-initializing to MBR will limit the disk to 2TB.

The other choice is to use EXT2, EXT3, or EXT4 but I doubt the player can read those too.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:55 AM   #30

Jul 2019
Lightbulb Probably way too late to be of any help

I rip my DVDs to 4 gb VOBs (FAT32 file size limitation) with DVD Decrypter. Then I'm able to use unpowered 2 tb Western Digital external hard drives (have used both "Elements" and "My Passport" versions) formatted in Fat32 with both my PS3 and my Sony BDP-S470 to play the files. Both of them have 2 USB ports, so that's 4 tb of media. The S470 says that the hard drive is unrecognized but plays the files flawlessly. Using the PS3, it is necessary to click on the hard drive using the triangle button and select "Display All." It also plays them without issue. Both of these are a bit slow to load but if you are patient you can put a lot of media on them. I use them as my primary sources of video storage and playback. Hope this helps someone somewhere.

-Rob
Old 08-27-2019, 08:12 PM   #31

Jun 2019

I now have 6 x 4TB = 24 TB's attached to my Oppo now. Still having no issues displaying and playing all directories, partitions and files.
Thanks given by:
HDTV1080P (08-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 04:14 AM   #32
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by SACDGUYTOO View Post
I now have 6 x 4TB = 24 TB's attached to my Oppo now. Still having no issues displaying and playing all directories, partitions and files.

You must be using a USB 3.0 hub in order to have 6 hard drives attached at once.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:10 AM   #33

Jan 2012

(for people not to demanding about how some audio streams play in mkv files)

Personally i just wifi stream it to my sony x800 No deed to drag the harddrive to the player. You can just add an external harddrive to the main windows video library map (right click on the harddrive name ,choose add to library, choose video)
The whole external drive on the pc is than also available in the x800.Also set that pc external harddrive in the home network share mode.
plays mkv m2ts etc.by wifi fine

How to set external pcdrive to share:

Or you can also install (free) Serviio on your pc as a server It lets you even share your pc dvddrive in the x800 home network (combined with free passkey lite)
Old 09-18-2019, 01:53 PM   #34

Jun 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
You must be using a USB 3.0 hub in order to have 6 hard drives attached at once.
I am using a USB 2 hub. I now have 7 x 4TB = 28TB drives attached with no issues. This thing is amazing!

Last edited by SACDGUYTOO; 09-18-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:56 PM   #35

Jun 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by vista-vision View Post
(for people not to demanding about how some audio streams play in mkv files)

Personally i just wifi stream it to my sony x800 No deed to drag the harddrive to the player. You can just add an external harddrive to the main windows video library map (right click on the harddrive name ,choose add to library, choose video)
The whole external drive on the pc is than also available in the x800.Also set that pc external harddrive in the home network share mode.
plays mkv m2ts etc.by wifi fine

How to set external pcdrive to share:
HOW TO SHARE A WHOLE DRIVE in Windows 10 - April 2018 Update - YouTube

Or you can also install (free) Serviio on your pc as a server It lets you even share your pc dvddrive in the x800 home network (combined with free passkey lite)
Does this also work for 4K movies on a hard drive on your computer? I am talking about 50-100 GB untouched M2TS directly extracted from the 4K disc running a Dolby Atmos soundtrack. The reason I am asking this is that my Sony X800 will only read a single partition from a drive directly plugged into it and has issues if you try to attach more than one drive to it. It is a far cry from the God like abilities of the Oppo 103.

Last edited by SACDGUYTOO; 09-18-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders