Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Akira 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.49

Columbia Classics Collection: Volume 1 4K (Blu-ray)
$101.63

Mad Max 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.49

Hocus Pocus 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.02
5 hrs ago
Top Gun 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

The House by the Cemetery 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.44
7 hrs ago
The Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Whiplash 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Hook 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.95
9 hrs ago
Total Recall 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Full Metal Jacket 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Lucy 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 11-23-2018, 01:09 PM   #1

Jan 2007
Default It's a Wonderful Life 4K...???

Forgive me if this has been posted elsewhere, I did a search and couldn't find anything.

https://movieweb.com/its-a-wonderful...-release-date/

Thanks given by:
Geoff D (11-23-2018), Skopos (01-15-2019)
Old 11-23-2018, 01:16 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2010
Denmark

It's already 4K on itunes...
Old 11-23-2018, 01:23 PM   #3

Jan 2007

https://www.thehdroom.com/bluray/its...ration-119095/

Another article saying "Paramount Home Entertainment has announced plans to bring Frank Capraís 1946 holiday classic Itís a Wonderful Life starring James Stewart, Donna Reed, Lionel Barrymore, Thomas Mitchell and Henry Travers to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray for the first time on November 20th."

Can't find it on Amazon or Best Buy
Old 11-23-2018, 01:25 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2018

Day one! Masterpiece.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:31 PM   #5

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noremac Mij View Post
Day one! Masterpiece.
Agreed! All the articles I've seen say it was supposed to be released this past tuesday. Odd
Old 11-23-2018, 01:40 PM   #6
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post
Agreed! All the articles I've seen say it was supposed to be released this past tuesday. Odd
It came out on iTunes, the articles are probably just confused. Surprised they didn't do a disc for Christmas but maybe next year?
Old 11-23-2018, 02:15 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2015
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
It came out on iTunes, the articles are probably just confused. Surprised they didn't do a disc for Christmas but maybe next year?
Yep, would have been a licence to print money. Iíd have bought it day one.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:23 PM   #8

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Yep. It seems over at HTF they have confirmed it's digital only.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/phe...-digital-only/

So far only Itunes which we don't use. Please release it on VUDU
Old 11-23-2018, 02:25 PM   #9
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

I'm sure it'll come to Vudu and disc eventually. Too big a movie not to.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:36 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2014
Montreal

Studios don't seem to think that Christmas classics are worthy of a physical 4K release.. (other than Die Hard)
Old 11-23-2018, 02:46 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2017

physical = It's A Wonderful Life

digital only = It's A Terrible Life
Thanks given by:
Doctorossi (11-23-2018), FilmFreakosaurus (11-23-2018), MaskedRider (11-29-2018), Skopos (01-15-2019)
Old 11-23-2018, 02:57 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008

I picked up the digital version on iTunes because it's on sale for $9.99. Only watched a few minutes of it but it looks fantastic (saving it for a Christmas Eve watch). Shame it hasn't come out on disc yet but if it eventually does, I'll gladly pick it up again (plus it will probably come with a digital copy that I can either sell or gift away)
Old 11-23-2018, 03:11 PM   #13
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2009
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_C View Post
Yep, would have been a licence to print money. Iíd have bought it day one.
Not really. The normal Joe doesn't seem interested in these old classics. Not sure I know a single person below 40 years old that watches these old movies anymore.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:36 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by gates70 View Post
Not really. The normal Joe doesn't seem interested in these old classics. Not sure I know a single person below 40 years old that watches these old movies anymore.
Considering that most people lack even the most basic level of intelligence today, you may be right. But you still deserve an
Old 11-23-2018, 03:40 PM   #15
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2009
Canada

Quote:
But you still deserve an
Nope not at all...it would not be like printing money. Most movies that fly off the shelves are crap like the "Furious" movies and all that, not old classics unfortunately.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:44 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2018

Quote:
Nope not at all...it would not be like printing money. Most movies that fly off the shelves are crap like the "Furious" movies and all that, not old classics unfortunately.
Saw Itís a Wonderful Life at a movie theater twice in the past two years. Both showings sold out weeks before the event. It has a lot of fans, even if the masses are ignorant.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:46 PM   #17
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2009
Canada

Quote:
Saw Itís a Wonderful Life at a movie theater twice in the past two years. Both showings sold out weeks before the event. It has a lot of fans, even if the masses are ignorant.
Yes I get that, but the people on this board are not your usual Joe. We are movie nuts and a small percent of the population, so of course we love all these old movies. It's also one thing to sell out a showing in a limited seat venue and to sell thousands of copies to be "like printing money" as was said.

Last edited by gates70; 11-23-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:56 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2017

Quote:
Even at Thanksgiving yesterday, in my head I was like "why are we watching Transformers instead of something wholesome and relaxing" when someone put Last Knight on.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:56 PM   #19
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2009
UK

It's a Wonderful Life must be a decent seller, otherwise it wouldn't get a reissue every two minutes. I'm betting all the oldies buy it.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:01 PM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

I was emailed this article about the 4K restoration that might be of interest to some of you. The article proper is behind spoiler tags due to its length:

Classic Hollywood: 'It's a Wonderful Life' finally gets the restoration it deserves
by Susan King - Los Angeles Times 11/20/2018

[Show spoiler](Associated Press) For years, Frank Capra’s cherished 1946 “It’s a Wonderful Life” wasn’t treated with any respect. Shabby prints were released on home video and shown on cable. Adding insult to injury, it was colorized.

But times have changed.

The Christmas favorite tells the story of George Bailey (Jimmy Stewart), an Everyman saved from suicide by an angel named Clarence (Henry Travers). George is shown what life would have been like for his wife (Donna Reed) and his hometown of Bedford Falls if he had not been born.

There have been attempts at restoring the original film, but nothing on the scale of Paramount Pictures’ new 4K digital restoration, which was released this week in time for the holidays.

“It’s a Wonderful Life” is the first black-and-white title to be released in Paramount’s 4K ultra high definition, which features sharper and brighter images enhancing the clarity of the image. The painstaking restoration process took six months to complete.

“I think it’s sort of wonderful that people have watched it in all iterations,” said Andrea Kalas, senior vice president of the Paramount archives. “The fact that people have not been able to let this movie go is a tribute to how great it is.”

Though it’s become a holiday perennial, “It’s a Wonderful Life” didn’t have a spectacular life at the box office when it was originally released, failing to recoup its cost because the film was so expensive to produce. It was rediscovered on television in the 1970s when the copyright expired due to a technicality. By that time, however, George, Clarence and the bucolic Bedford Falls were mere cinematic shadows of their former selves.

And for good reason. “It’s a Wonderful Life” had several owners over the decades.

Capra’s independent motion picture company, Liberty Films, made “It’s a Wonderful Life,” which was released through RKO. The film was then sold to various entities. “It ended up in the Republic library, and when Viacom and Paramount acquired the Republic library, it was one of the films that was moved to us,” said Kalas.

“ ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’ is a movie that we’re sort of constantly checking on because it is one of the highlights of our collection,” said Laura Thornburg, executive director of preservation at Paramount. “So the movie is never far from our minds. We are always checking to see how the negative is doing and if there is any deterioration.”

Despite its checkered history, 13 out of the 14 reels of the film’s original negative have survived.

“We are so very, very happy that we have the material to work with it,” said Thornburg, “Everybody was on their A-game when they made this, whether it was the people who did the sound or cinematography.” Indeed, the film earned five Oscar nominations, including best film, director and actor.

Still, the negative showed signs of deterioration. “Essentially, 50% of the reels that remain had some measure of deterioration, mostly at the ends of the beginnings of the reel,” said Thornburg.

Because they had two other elements made seven decades ago from the original camera negative, they were able to digitally replace the deterioration. According to Thornburg, that enabled them to “make intelligent choices and choices that would have been sympathetic to what Capra would have wanted.”

Last edited by Vilya; 11-23-2018 at 04:17 PM.
Thanks given by:
gkolb (11-24-2018), Kirk76 (11-23-2018), LarryT (11-23-2018), Noremac Mij (11-23-2018), reanimator (11-23-2018), Skopos (01-15-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists