Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
DreamWorks 17-Movie Collection (iTunes)
$79.99
9 hrs ago
Batman 4 Film Collection (iTunes)
$19.99

How To Train Your Dragon Trilogy (iTunes)
$24.99
9 hrs ago
Shazam! (iTunes)
$9.99

The Silence of the Lambs (iTunes)
$4.99

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (iTunes)
$9.99

Venom / Spider-man: Homecoming (iTunes)
$17.99

Spaceballs (iTunes)
$4.99

Doctor Who, Season 11 (iTunes)
$9.99

Batman: The Complete Animated Series (iTunes)
$59.99

Mad Max (iTunes)
$4.99

The Dark Knight Trilogy (iTunes)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies

Old 06-30-2019, 11:49 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA
Default Streaming Services May Become More Expensive

I just came across this article from The Guardian that highlights the upcoming content wars as WarnerMedia and Disney+ enter the streaming wars.

This is why I have been against streaming services for some time because I never saw it as a serious platform for content. But, a recent article from The Guardian points out that the so-called "golden age of streaming" is about to end and become more expensive for consumers as the online digital platforms make it more expensive to watch your favorite shows.

I decided to post this here because I didn't see where else to place it.

When Netflix burst onto the scene, they managed a platform where you can watch your favorite movies and television shows from multiple studios under one umbrella. Netflix managed to come out of the gate running and now with AT&T/Warner Brothers new streaming service and Disney's new Disney Plus streaming service with its recent acquisition "Fox Studios", it looks like just about every major studio either has a streaming service or in the process of starting up its own streaming service.

Sony, Warner Brothers, Comcast/NBC Universal not to mention networks like CBS that have all Access along with Netflix, Amazon Prime and the multiple other streaming services, affordable online content is going to become much more fragmented.

The Guardian points out that Netflix's streaming of "The Office" is about to be yanked by NBC Universal and that they further elaborated that NBC Universal will be pulling all of its content from Netflix in favor of its new streaming service. Friends will disappear behind Warner Media's paywall, and in the U.K., the BBC and ITV are hiding their content behind yet another streaming service called "BritBox".

When you count on the fact that you'll expect to pay around $15 for a monthly service to a single streaming platform, it looks like the content wars is about to be unleashed online among the different studios and streaming services.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...=pocket-newtab

Watching your favorite movies through VOD services with a cable or satellite subscription was more simpler without having to wade through the multiple streaming services that are now available. Especially when HD content has a tendency to eat through your monthly data.
Thanks given by:
Clark Kent (07-01-2019), crackedknee (07-01-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 03:52 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Ayer, MA

Yeah, no ****ing shit.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:22 AM   #3

Apr 2011

I've just started to turn my streaming services off strategically, although it's more work, and I guess that's what I'll need to do going forward. Hulu is now off for three months.

I want to support aggregators like Hulu, not individual streaming services. I don't like this fragmentation, which is one reason why I've refused to subscribe to CBS All Access. Apparently, their service is successful, despite its limited offerings, and I'm sure that's what is encouraging NBC and others to follow suit.

I'm hoping the pendulum will eventually swing back to consolidation, but maybe that's wishful thinking.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:57 AM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

If anything, this is going to force those who enjoy their movies to get them from alternative sources (by way of piracy) and this is not good. It's going to be more expensive than cable or satellite if you were to subscribe to all of the services that are currently available so you might as well as have a subscription to some type of cable service.

If you just factor in the main services, you're looking at several services with their own content and you're going to find each of these studios revoking their content for their own, respective streaming services. Warner Brothers and Universal are already in the process of revoking the rights to their movies and TV shows from such services as Netflix and Amazon Prime and Disney has been systematically canceling the various TV shows that they had in production in favor of their own streaming service.

CBS All Access, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney Plus, Hulu, WarnerMedia, Britbox, NBC Universal and Comcast all have either their own streaming services or they are about to launch their own streaming services. That's $135 in streaming monthly fees and these are only the main services. Let's also not forget that unless you have unlimited monthly data, you're also looking at a very large internet bill if you happen to only watch HD content, even more-so if you enjoy 4K.

Hell, Netflix already saw Disney forcing them to cancel Iron Fist, Daredevil, Defenders, Punisher, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and the rumored "Heroes For Hire" series. AT&T forced Warner Brothers to cancel Swamp Thing and Doom Patrol and that Titans may very well end up getting canceled soon after the second series premieres.

This is why I don't subscribe to any streaming service but I do find options that allow me to watch these exclusive shows that appear on these services. Paying for subscriptions for all of these services, you may as well be signing up for a cable subscription.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:29 PM   #5
Special Member

Oct 2007
The state of confusion

Then there are those of us at blu-ray.com that have built our own tv and movie libraries on vudu, google, and itunes through digital lockers like MA & UV. Those of us who built our own libraries will never need streaming services. I have 2,200 movies, 200 tv shows, and throw in a Roku that has free tv from apps like PBS kids, Crackle, the Roku Channel, Vudu, and Pluto and you can avoid Netflix, Hulu, and other monthly subscriptions. I haven't paid for Netflix in over 3 years now.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:02 PM   #6
Special Member

Jul 2007
San Jose, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2000 View Post
I've just started to turn my streaming services off strategically, although it's more work, and I guess that's what I'll need to do going forward. Hulu is now off for three months.
Yup. I'm not a fan of the increasing fragmentation either, but even if the prices go up, being able to start and stop subscriptions with a mouse click is still a huge advantage compared to the old monolithic cable packages with contracts. I now use sites like justwatch.com to keep track of what is running where, and only subscribe temporarily to a service to catch up on the shows I'm interested in. Things like the new Apple TV app (which can integrate with various streaming services and show their content all in the one place) also have the potential to make it easier.
Quote:
I want to support aggregators like Hulu, not individual streaming services. I don't like this fragmentation, which is one reason why I've refused to subscribe to CBS All Access. Apparently, their service is successful, despite its limited offerings, and I'm sure that's what is encouraging NBC and others to follow suit.
Same here. I have not and never will sign up for this and other services with similarly narrow offerings. I'd rather just buy the few shows I'm interested in on iTunes.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:25 PM   #7

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
-
-
-
-

The whole entertainment industry, and ways to provide that entertainment, are in flux. Things are changing, and will continue to change. But what we see happening now, was inevitable. Netflix got way too big, way too quickly, and in Hollywood's mind, way too cocky!

Cable is becoming more of an "internet provider" as more customers leave enmasse from their TV service and simply settle for their internet. Most cable companies provide faster internet when NOT combined with TV services, and many are finding this increased speed and lack of data caps in places where FIOS & other competition is located makes the transition to streaming easier.

As a result, streaming services is becoming the a-la-carte people have craved for, though maybe not the prices...but now people can pick & choose from an abundance of services...and yes, many are still free (ad-supported) while some have an ad-free/more expensive option available.

Streaming is destined to become the "new cable" in many ways....and why not....it's the SAME providers of content. It's why Comcast made the first move to buy NBC/Universal, why Disney owns ABC, why CBS is in merger talks to reunite Viacom/Paramount and perhaps Lionsgate for good measure. The "cable" middle-man is being eliminated, those who "provided" cable content are now "creators" of it as well...keep in mind that cable companies pay those providers based on number of subscribers, if those numbers go down, providers get paid less...so streaming is a "new" revenue stream for them.

However you "buy" your entertainment, the money goes to the same place...whether its a BD or a monthly streaming service...they get their money!

Netflix is being almost forced into "independence" as content providers "pull" their content. Make NO mistake, this is all backlash from Netflix "bypassing" theaters with "Roma". How quick did Hollywood "create" streaming services that will directly be competing with Netflix beginning this November? Disney + is probably the most-anticipated, and likely the least expensive at it's announced price of $6.99@mth...about HALF of Netflix, and with almost the entire archived content within Disney's vaults available at launch. Sure Netflix recently upped their "originals" budget by $2B, but won't see the fruits of that for another 18-24 mos.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:29 PM   #8

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
-
-
-
-
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfree432 View Post
I haven't paid for Netflix in over 3 years now.
I "could" say that too, but somewhat inaccurate. I have T-Mobile, and "Netflix" is on them...though I now pay a $5 "upcharge" for the 4K content.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:34 PM   #9

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
-
-
-
-
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2000 View Post
About 3 mos ago I read an article CBS:AA & Showtime had a combined 10M subscribers on their apps. I'm sure exclusives like Star Trek: Discovery & the new "Twilight Zone" were a huge part of that.
Yes, it's why both ABC & NBC and following up with similar changes to mirror what CBS is doing. ABC this fall and I'm told NBC in 2020, though they have been doing some "purging" of their apps lately.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:39 PM   #10
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

In other news, Man has landed on the moon.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:19 PM   #11

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
-
-
-
-

Hey Steed, see you haven't lost your sense of humor!
Old 07-01-2019, 07:19 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007
Dawson, GA

This is not a surprise to anybody.

I mean, it's not like cable/satellite didn't have rate increases every year. Choice is good, and I'd much rather have the freedom to pick and choose what I want and how I want to watch it.

CBS, or at least CBS during the Moonves years, has had it's eye on moving away from the broadcast model, so CBS All Access was his way of moving in that direction.

I personally don't mind streaming services devoted to specific channels, nor do I have a problem with conglomerate streaming services like Disney+ or the upcoming WarnerBros streaming service.

What I do have a problem with is poorly services and expensive services. For instance:

Hallmark Channel Now, which offers mostly older Hallmark Channel content + content found for free on Tubi, or also available on Amazon Prime, instead of the new content currently airing on their channels.

$6.99 for a large chunk of Disney content, plus original programming sounds enticing compared to Netflix's $15.99 (for 4K).
Old 07-01-2019, 07:35 PM   #13
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcha View Post
If anything, this is going to force those who enjoy their movies to get them from alternative sources (by way of piracy)...
I just hope nobody gets hurt while being forced into piracy.

Last edited by octagon; 07-01-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:09 PM   #14

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
-
-
-
-
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gordon View Post
What I do have a problem with is poorly services and expensive services. For instance:

Hallmark Channel Now, which offers mostly older Hallmark Channel content + content found for free on Tubi, or also available on Amazon Prime, instead of the new content currently airing on their channels.

$6.99 for a large chunk of Disney content, plus original programming sounds enticing compared to Netflix's $15.99 (for 4K).
Exactly!
My "thing" is I don't like seeing ads...CBS:AA ad-free, Hulu ad-free, HBO Now ad-free..and if I paid full price for Netflix, I'd prolly dump it like a bad habit (thanks T-Mobile). I do have YT TV, but that's only because I'm a huge baseball fan, need my MLB Net fix and access to in-market games by NBC RSN's...if I could pay more to MLB.TV to get in-mkt games I'd do that and scrap YT TV. But the large majority of my TV watching is either stuff I own on iTunes/Vudu/MA or the ad-free options I mentioned above.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:15 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007
Dawson, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjritter79 View Post
Exactly!
My "thing" is I don't like seeing ads...CBS:AA ad-free, Hulu ad-free, HBO Now ad-free..and if I paid full price for Netflix, I'd prolly dump it like a bad habit (thanks T-Mobile). I do have YT TV, but that's only because I'm a huge baseball fan, need my MLB Net fix and access to in-market games by NBC RSN's...if I could pay more to MLB.TV to get in-mkt games I'd do that and scrap YT TV. But the large majority of my TV watching is either stuff I own on iTunes/Vudu/MA or the ad-free options I mentioned above.
I don't like ads either, but I subscribe to CBS All Access with ads, and Hulu without. May drop down to ads with Hulu, and use the savings to pay for Disney+. We'll see later this year.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:23 PM   #16

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
-
-
-
-
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gordon View Post
I don't like ads either, but I subscribe to CBS All Access with ads, and Hulu without. May drop down to ads with Hulu, and use the savings to pay for Disney+. We'll see later this year.
Well, for me it was simple math!
I watch TV an avg of 4 hrs per day (longer of course with a ballgame but I'm not counting that time).
So every day, if that included commercials is 1/4 of an hr per hr, or 1 hour total...per day.
In a month that's 30 hrs.
If my time is worth $5@hr, that's $150, of course, that's entertainment time, but to me time is money. Well Hulu without & CBS:AA without, combined are only $12 more (yeah I include tax).
So, in my (some may say) "warped" view of thinking, I'm actually saving $138.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Last edited by tjritter79; 07-01-2019 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:48 PM   #17
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjritter79 View Post
Hey Steed, see you haven't lost your sense of humor!
Old 07-01-2019, 11:16 PM   #18
Special Member

Aug 2012
Archbury

Quote:
If anything, this is going to force those who enjoy their movies to get them from alternative sources (by way of piracy) and this is not good.
Yeah, they'll be forced.

Quote:
Paying for subscriptions for all of these services, you may as well be signing up for a cable subscription.
Or you could do what a lot of cord cutters do and rotate your subs. Many don't subscribe to Netflix or AA, etc 365 days a year.
Thanks given by:
Naiera (07-02-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 11:29 PM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
If anything, this is going to force those who enjoy their movies to get them from alternative sources (by way of piracy) and this is not good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
I just hope nobody gets hurt while being forced into piracy.
Nobody is forced into anything, but people do want less expensive ways to access thier Movies and Shows. So the main Piracy I see is where people prefer Discs, and they seek out cheaper ones and yes Pirates are there to offer their cheap poorly made Discs. I guess there is also illegal access to Streaming Providers, but that will weed out.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:58 PM   #20

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
-
-
-
-
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Yeah, they'll be forced.

Or you could do what a lot of cord cutters do and rotate your subs. Many don't subscribe to Netflix or AA, etc 365 days a year.
Yeah, for me, Shudder is my "flux" I cc that after JBB series was done and I had caught up to all the archived content i care to see...so I'll revisit that in 3 mos...see if there is anything worthwhile to return.

Now, for me, Netflix IS the exception, I will sub to that 365, but only because T-Mo pays for all but $5 a mth...and they have 4K content so its worth keeping to me.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies