Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
DreamWorks 17-Movie Collection (iTunes)
$79.99
8 hrs ago
Batman 4 Film Collection (iTunes)
$19.99

How To Train Your Dragon Trilogy (iTunes)
$24.99
9 hrs ago
Shazam! (iTunes)
$9.99

The Silence of the Lambs (iTunes)
$4.99

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (iTunes)
$9.99

Venom / Spider-man: Homecoming (iTunes)
$17.99

Spaceballs (iTunes)
$4.99

Doctor Who, Season 11 (iTunes)
$9.99

Batman: The Complete Animated Series (iTunes)
$59.99

Mad Max (iTunes)
$4.99

The Dark Knight Trilogy (iTunes)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies

Old 08-06-2019, 05:35 PM   #21
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs commenter View Post
who cares. in 10 years blu rays will be more worthless than regular dvd's are now
Unlikely. There are still DVDs that demand a premium price and Blu-rays will be no different. "Worthless" is also an entirely subjective term. I'll cherish some of my box sets for the rest of my life, not their material value, but the enjoyment I can get out of watching them, many of which aren't available to stream the way I prefer to view them.

As the majors move towards streaming (I doubt they'll drop physical media any time soon), niche distributors will only grow their fan-bases and their content will hold its value.
Thanks given by:
Ggould1975 (08-06-2019), Vilya (08-06-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 05:46 PM   #22
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggould1975 View Post
One thing with digital is you do not own your content. They are a license
I know what you are trying to say, but no one ever "owns" the content. Disc purchases give you ownership of the disc and a license to use the contents stored upon it for the lifetime of the disc.

Digital purchases are also just a license, but with far more restrictions. The terms governing them allow for the content to be outright removed, or altered, at any time, for any reason, without any compensation to the customer. The latter happens far more often than the former, but neither are acceptable terms to me.

When I buy something I expect to actually have it in my possession. I also insist that it can not be taken away from me later or changed after I purchased it.
Thanks given by:
Ggould1975 (08-06-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 05:55 PM   #23
Power Member

Apr 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
Unlikely. There are still DVDs that demand a premium price and Blu-rays will be no different. "Worthless" is also an entirely subjective term. I'll cherish some of my box sets for the rest of my life, not their material value, but the enjoyment I can get out of watching them, many of which aren't available to stream the way I prefer to view them.

As the majors move towards streaming (I doubt they'll drop physical media any time soon), niche distributors will only grow their fan-bases and their content will hold its value.
Life is way too short to revisit the sh!tty a/v quality of dvd's. I've been digging 4K so much that I almost feel that way about regular HD. I expect I will in 10 years time.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:02 PM   #24
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Life is way too short to revisit the sh!tty a/v quality of dvd's. I've been digging 4K so much that I almost feel that way about regular HD. I expect I will in 10 years time.
DVDs can look quite good on our wondrous 4K TVs and much content remains only available on DVD. I would never forego enjoying a great movie or show because it was only available on DVD.

There are over 220,745 titles on DVD alone and that is more than twice what Vudu offers and it is about 39 times what Netflix offers in the U.S. Physical media offers not only the best quality in most cases, and tangible ownership, it offers the best selection by far.

http://www.dvdandblurayreleasereport.com/pdf/28.pdf

^page 13 for DVD and page 34 for blu-ray

"Netflix’s U.S. library size is slightly larger in 2018 than in past years. As of January 2018, Netflix had 5,599 titles. In March 2016, the service had 5,532. The 2018 number is still a large decrease from 2014, when Netflix had over 8,000 titles in the U.S. content library.

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn...facts-figures/

Last edited by Vilya; 08-06-2019 at 06:10 PM.
Thanks given by:
Ggould1975 (08-06-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 06:18 PM   #25
Power Member

Apr 2018

I think I own 1 or 2 films on disc that might not be available to own on streaming. Otherwise my film taste is pretty mainstream.

I used to own a ton of dvd's. Took up too much space and I had no desire to revisit them. The stuff I really like/want gets upgraded. Everything else is gone. I barely have time to keep up with all the great current content out there. No way am I going to waste time revisiting a mediocre dvd of some 90's rom com
Old 08-06-2019, 06:25 PM   #26

Jul 2010
USA

Thank everyone for your responses. After a few days i'm still on the fence about going digital. The quality of 4K on digital platforms is shoddy at best. Itunes does not even offer 4K with marvel/star wars movies. I purchased Avengers Endgame on 4K from VUDU for $25. The quality was good but it looked like a blu ray to me and didn't blow my socks off. For quality/ ownership purposes I may be sticking with discs.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:30 PM   #27
Power Member

Apr 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpr3584 View Post
Thank everyone for your responses. After a few days i'm still on the fence about going digital. The quality of 4K on digital platforms is shoddy at best. Itunes does not even offer 4K with marvel/star wars movies. I purchased Avengers Endgame on 4K from VUDU for $25. The quality was good but it looked like a blu ray to me and didn't blow my socks off. For quality/ ownership purposes I may be sticking with discs.
Do you have a decent internet setup? The video quality of 4K digital and disc is nearly identical on screen sizes 75 inches and smaller.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:37 PM   #28

Jul 2010
USA

My internet is really good speed I use it for wireless Xbox gaming all the time.
It may be my new TV.
I purchased a 65inch Roku 4K TV with HDR (HiSense) from Best Buy last month. Netflix 4K looks pretty good but any other apps look worse than blu ray. There are no calibration settings for the TV. I have checked everywhere.
Blu rays look amazing played on the TV from my Xbox, however
Old 08-06-2019, 06:41 PM   #29

Dec 2010
Asheville, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I know what you are trying to say, but no one ever "owns" the content. Disc purchases give you ownership of the disc and a license to use the contents stored upon it for the lifetime of the disc.

Digital purchases are also just a license, but with far more restrictions. The terms governing them allow for the content to be outright removed, or altered, at any time, for any reason, without any compensation to the customer. The latter happens far more often than the former, but neither are acceptable terms to me.

When I buy something I expect to actually have it in my possession. I also insist that it can not be taken away from me later or changed after I purchased it.
Good point. but yes I'm with you I like to have it in my possession .
Old 08-06-2019, 06:43 PM   #30
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Do you have a decent internet setup? The video quality of 4K digital and disc is nearly identical on screen sizes 75 inches and smaller.
That is just your opinion, nothing more.

I have streamed a lot of 4K content now and while it does look very good, usually, the 4K disc looks markedly better even on screens as small as 55".

4K streaming is littered with compression artifacts compared to a 4K disc presentation. I can see 4k streaming artifacts even without my glasses; they are that obvious. 4K streaming has less background detail than a 4k disc. 4K streaming has more banding, mosquito noise, and motion blur than does a 4K disc. 4K streaming does not resolve dark scenes nearly as well as does a 4K disc and 4K streaming often manages film grain in bizarre, clumpy, and unnatural ways.

The 4K disc has far better audio also. I'll take the 4K disc every time, thank you, and it includes the code, so I get it all: the unsurpassed quality of the 4K disc and the convenience of the digital copy .

Last edited by Vilya; 08-06-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:51 PM   #31
Power Member

Apr 2018

Quote:
That is just your opinion, nothing more.

I have streamed a lot of 4K content now and while it does look very good, usually, the 4K disc looks markedly better even on screens as small as 55".

4K streaming is littered with compression artifacts compared to a 4K disc presentation. I can see 4k streaming artifacts even without my glasses; they are that obvious. 4K streaming has less background detail than a 4k disc. 4K streaming has more banding, mosquito noise, and motion blur than does a 4K disc. 4K streaming does not resolve dark scenes nearly as well as does a 4K disc and it often manages film grain in bizarre, clumpy, and unnatural ways.

The 4K disc has far better audio also. I'll take the 4K disc every time, thank you, and it includes the code, so I get it all: the unsurpassed quality of the 4K disc and the convenience of the digital copy .
It's not just my opinion. Vincent Teoh said the same thing. So has the 'Spare Change' guy. Even our resident expert poster Geoff has stated as much. Those are opinions I trust.
And they match my own comparisons. At normal viewing distances, the differences are minor at the very best.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:56 PM   #32

Jul 2010
USA

It may be my TV but disc beats digital every time. the sharpness of disc is something digital can't match. I know im contradicting my own post here.
Not to mention that 4K digital ownership is a shell game to put it mildly. No disney 4K on Itunes, Movies Anywhere is a mess, some movies port over others dont, ultraviolet disaster, etc
Old 08-06-2019, 06:58 PM   #33
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
I think I own 1 or 2 films on disc that might not be available to own on streaming. Otherwise my film taste is pretty mainstream.

I used to own a ton of dvd's. Took up too much space and I had no desire to revisit them. The stuff I really like/want gets upgraded. Everything else is gone. I barely have time to keep up with all the great current content out there. No way am I going to waste time revisiting a mediocre dvd of some 90's rom com
If digital and streaming's selection satisfies your needs, that's fine...for you. Physical media offers so much fantastic content that is absent entirely from digital or streaming; I would never be happy limiting myself to digital and streaming's lower quality and poorer selection.

Digital and streaming mainly offers convenience in my view; I use it to rent content before making a purchase decision, to watch things that I have a one-time interest in seeing, and to access content while away from home. I will always place the most value upon the best quality and actual ownership that physical media alone can provide above the acceptable quality and convenience that streaming offers.

Discs do take up space, but there are many innovative ways to store them. Almost everyone that I know has a lot of something taking up a lot of space; my something are my movies.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:03 PM   #34
Power Member

Apr 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpr3584 View Post
It may be my TV but disc beats digital every time. the sharpness of disc is something digital can't match. I know im contradicting my own post here.
Not to mention that 4K digital ownership is a shell game to put it mildly. No disney 4K on Itunes, Movies Anywhere is a mess, some movies port over others dont, ultraviolet disaster, etc
Microsoft, Google, Fandangonow, Vudu, Amazon(?), and MA all do Disney 4k. Itunes is actually the only place now that doesn't
Old 08-06-2019, 07:06 PM   #35
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
It's not just my opinion. Vincent Teoh said the same thing. So has the 'Spare Change' guy. Even our resident expert poster Geoff has stated as much. Those are opinions I trust.
And they match my own comparisons. At normal viewing distances, the differences are minor at the very best.
I respect Vincent Teoh and Geoff D's opinions as well, but I have watched videos by Vincent where he lists the many compression artifacts that he saw with 4K streaming while using 65" TVs, the most common TV size currently in use.

Further, during the 2019 TV shootout hosted by Robert Zohn, the reviewers present for the event all commented on the artifacts visible with 4K streaming while also using 65" displays.

I see 4K streaming's limitations routinely on my 60" TV and I am not one who actively looks for defects when watching my content. "Minor" is a subjective term at best; what you are willing to overlook might really annoy someone else.

I find that 4K streaming looks very good most of the time, but I have never seen a single instance where it looked as good, yet alone better, than a 4k disc presentation.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:10 PM   #36
Power Member

Apr 2018

Quote:
I respect Vincent Teoh and Geoff D's opinions as well, but I have watched videos by Vincent where he lists the many compression artifacts that he saw with 4K streaming while using 65" TVs, the most common TV size currently in use.

Further, during the 2019 TV shootout hosted by Robert Zohn, the reviewers present for the event all commented on the artifacts visible with 4K streaming while also using 65" displays.

I see 4K streaming's limitations routinely on my 60" TV and I am not one who actively looks for defects when watching my content. "Minor" is a subjective term at best; what you are willing to overlook might really annoy someone else.

I find that 4K streaming looks very good most of the time, but I have never seen a single instance where it looked as good, yet alone better, than a 4k disc presentation.
I guess that's your opinion and nothing more
Old 08-06-2019, 07:14 PM   #37
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
I guess that's your opinion and nothing more
The bold text is entirely my opinion based upon my experience to date; it is the only one I that have to give. If I ever see a 4K stream that equals or bests its 4K disc counterpart, I will amend it.

My observations regrading 4K streaming were also witnessed by Vincent Teoh and by all of the reviewers present at the 2019 TV shootout; they saw the same artifacts that I have seen with 4K streaming.

Last edited by Vilya; 08-06-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:21 PM   #38
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas

So another thread turned into a digital vs physical pissing contest

Old 08-06-2019, 07:22 PM   #39
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post

So another thread turned into a digital vs physical pissing contest
It's a damn virus and a thread with this title was an inevitable victim.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:25 PM   #40
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas

Nothing is inevitable when the usual suspects come arrive to give their 2 cents
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies