Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Godzilla: King of the Monsters (iTunes)
$9.99

The Deer Hunter (iTunes)
$4.99

Friday the 13th - 8 Movie Collection (iTunes)
$19.99

The Post (iTunes)
$4.99

The Drop (iTunes)
$4.99
12 hrs ago
Glass (iTunes)
$9.99

Tomb Raider (iTunes)
$9.99

Alien (iTunes)
$7.99

American Beauty (iTunes)
$6.99

Scooby-Doo Where Are You?, The Complete Series (iTunes)
$24.99
22 hrs ago
Rocketman (iTunes)
$12.99

The Divergent Series 3-Film Collection (iTunes)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies

Old 08-05-2019, 01:11 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Tejas
Default With Disney Plus coming will you be more likely to sell digital codes?

If youíre going to subscribe to Disney Plus, whatís the point in redeeming Disney digital codes? Iím thinking I might as well just sell my Disney/Marvel codes from now on.

I just donít have a lot of faith in digital right now. Like many others have said, it feels like a long-term rental.

Thoughts?
Old 08-05-2019, 02:26 PM   #2
Power Member

Apr 2018

Movies will come and go from Disney+ FYI

I will be buying way less movies though as most of my collection is available on different streaming services I have and I don't rewatch older content as much anymore
Thanks given by:
maverick22 (08-05-2019), Volsfan93 (08-06-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 02:41 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013

I pretty much only redeem my MCU codes now, all others are sold off. I would still want to have a digital backup for my MCU collection but I see what you mean.
Thanks given by:
maverick22 (08-05-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 02:47 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2015

I personally would still redeem mine, but Iím not someone who cares generally about selling digital codes. Iíd rather trade a code for another code. Itís definitely a good way to offset the cost though if youíre someone who buys Disney titles Day 1.

When you own the movie on VUDU or iTunes, you have the ability to download the title to your device for watching without an internet connection. Might be handy for road trips with the kids if you donít want to use up the data allotment on the iPad or if youíre traveling in a remote area that has spotty service.

Iím mostly interested in Disney+ for their original programming and older content that may or may not ever be available on disc.
Thanks given by:
maverick22 (08-05-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 03:04 PM   #5

Feb 2018
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmbuffTX View Post
I personally would still redeem mine, but Iím not someone who cares generally about selling digital codes. Iíd rather trade a code for another code. Itís definitely a good way to offset the cost though if youíre someone who buys Disney titles Day 1.

When you own the movie on VUDU or iTunes, you have the ability to download the title to your device for watching without an internet connection. Might be handy for road trips with the kids if you donít want to use up the data allotment on the iPad or if youíre traveling in a remote area that has spotty service.

Iím mostly interested in Disney+ for their original programming and older content that may or may not ever be available on disc.
Trading is better. The only problem with trading is when your digital collection become really big. It is really hard doing trade when you have over 1300 digital movies. Sometimes it is better selling for purchasing digital movies not available with digital codes.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:24 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Tejas

I wish we knew if we could 100% trust digital to stick around. It really concerns me.

Someone brought up a good point here also: what if Disney Plus doesn’t keep all the Marvel movies in their library? Then I guess I would be screwed (for my favorites I do like to redeem the code, like Iron Man I likely will keep).

On the flip side, I was looking at my twitter feed a few days ago, and someone posted how the Reservoir Dogs disc used a certain glue, and the disc won’t play now. This is news to me!
Old 08-05-2019, 03:29 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs commenter View Post
Movies will come and go from Disney+ FYI
Has that been explicitly stated? Disney had announced that the entire "Disney Vault" would be available through the service. They didn't make it sound like they intend to pull/swap out movies in that announcement.

I'm actually not against them rotating movies out, as I still plan to buy movies on Blu-Ray, and worry that if everything is constantly available on the service, it could really hurt physical sales. But I've seen nothing to indicate that they will do that.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:37 PM   #8
Special Member

Sep 2012
Redding, CA

I just give away my digital codes to family and friends if they want it. I try to pay it forward. That being said I'm excited for Disney + and I'll immediately pay for a year out and look forward to the original content and what classic gems they'll have .
Thanks given by:
maverick22 (08-05-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 03:38 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Tejas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylopez View Post
I just give away my digital codes to family and friends if they want it. I try to pay it forward. That being said I'm excited for Disney + and I'll immediately pay for a year out and look forward to the original content and what classic gems they'll have .
Iím excited to use it as well.

The current DisneyNOW app is very good too though!
Old 08-05-2019, 03:43 PM   #10
Expert Member

Oct 2011
330-hio

I won't sell my codes. I tried it once on ebay, included in a blu-ray/dvd combo pack, and the person who bought it claimed that the code had already been redeemed, which it hadn't, and wanted a full refund. Never again. I'm more likely to trade the code if it's not a movie I like, and sell the discs separately.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:46 PM   #11
Power Member

Apr 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
Has that been explicitly stated? Disney had announced that the entire "Disney Vault" would be available through the service. They didn't make it sound like they intend to pull/swap out movies in that announcement.

I'm actually not against them rotating movies out, as I still plan to buy movies on Blu-Ray, and worry that if everything is constantly available on the service, it could really hurt physical sales. But I've seen nothing to indicate that they will do that.
The vault is different than new releases.

They have not said exactly what will happen. But most think the current rotation of films cycling through various cable and on demand sites is too lucrative for Disney to give up on.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:21 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007
Dawson, GA

I'll probably subscribe to Disney+ this Fall if available through AppleTV Channels, and next year if not.

However, I will not give up any codes unless I already own the film in that resolution already, because I may not always keep Disney+, nor will the movie or show always be available.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:53 PM   #13
Special Member

Oct 2007
The state of confusion

If our digital rights collections are good for 50 years I'll be happy. I mean, who still owns their cassette or cd collections? The next best thing will eventually come down the road. I have no plans on subbing to D+, and will keep buying your codes off of this forum.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:21 PM   #14
Power Member

Apr 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfree432 View Post
If our digital rights collections are good for 50 years I'll be happy. I mean, who still owns their cassette or cd collections? The next best thing will eventually come down the road. I have no plans on subbing to D+, and will keep buying your codes off of this forum.
So you're going to miss out on all the original and exclusive content?
Old 08-05-2019, 07:44 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleazyForWeasley View Post
I won't sell my codes. I tried it once on ebay, included in a blu-ray/dvd combo pack, and the person who bought it claimed that the code had already been redeemed, which it hadn't, and wanted a full refund. Never again. I'm more likely to trade the code if it's not a movie I like, and sell the discs separately.
If you're still using ebay then you're doing it wrong
Old 08-07-2019, 02:52 AM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post

https://www.cnet.com/news/disney-str...CAD-00-10aag7d

Just 300 movies at launch. Now they expect to have it up to 500 within a year, but that means not everything in the vault will be there, particularly with you calculate their direct to video movies and films from Fox, National Geographic etc. that will be on the service (apparently it wonít launch with every eligible Marvel and Star Wars movie for instance).

Also, though itís way down the line, seems like all the movies Disney released between 2016-2018 will leave the service in 2026 due to previous licensing contracts. While obviously itís way different from physical discs, I donít even see a subscription service as an ideal alternative to digital ownership.
Thanks given by:
maverick22 (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 04:26 AM   #17
Expert Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfree432 View Post
If our digital rights collections are good for 50 years I'll be happy.
50 years?

What incentive do any of the digital providers or studios have to give you access to all your digital movies and TV shows for 50 years? It costs them money to store those movies and renew contracts. Plus there are always censorship issues that will cause movies to be removed or modified because someone may be offended.

Only the most popular movies are likely to continually remain available for decades. Thousands of other movies and TV shows will disappear from digital storefronts and collections.

It's in that the license agreements that you sign when you use any of the digital stores: content can be removed at any time for any reason. Expecting your digital collection to remain safe for 50 years is absurd.

Last edited by PenguinInfinity; 08-07-2019 at 04:35 AM.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:50 AM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Tejas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
50 years?

What incentive do any of the digital providers or studios have to give you access to all your digital movies and TV shows for 50 years? It costs them money to store those movies and renew contracts. Plus there are always censorship issues that will cause movies to be removed or modified because someone may be offended.

Only the most popular movies are likely to continually remain available for decades. Thousands of other movies and TV shows will disappear from digital storefronts and collections.

It's in that the license agreements that you sign when you use any of the digital stores: content can be removed at any time for any reason. Expecting your digital collection to remain safe for 50 years is absurd.
I thought that (50 years) was a little high as well.

How many years are you guessing?

Always a tough decision to keep or sell my codes - hell, if they're just going to disappear I might as well just sell 'em!
Old 08-07-2019, 05:24 AM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010
Alabama

Even if the movies were to stay on D+ indefinitely, I'd still use my digital codes because I won't be on D+ indefinitely. I'll subscribe when they have enough stuff I want to watch to warrant a month.
Thanks given by:
maverick22 (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 02:53 PM   #20
Special Member

Nov 2010
Houston, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin87 View Post
Even if the movies were to stay on D+ indefinitely, I'd still use my digital codes because I won't be on D+ indefinitely. I'll subscribe when they have enough stuff I want to watch to warrant a month.
^Same for me. I'll subscribe on and off when there is stuff I really want to watch.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies