Best Xbox 360 Game Deals

Best Xbox 360 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: Jack Ryan 5-Movie Collection (… $14.49 (3 hours left)
Now: The Buster Keaton Collection: … $12.99 (2 hours left)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
NeverDead (Xbox 360)
$17.37

L.A. Noire (Xbox 360)
$19.99

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Bonus Edition (Xbox 360)
$13.96

Sonic Unleashed (Xbox 360)
$12.20

Brutal Legend (Xbox 360)
$19.99

Bakugan Battle Brawlers (Xbox 360)
$36.70

Fable: The Journey (Xbox 360)
$17.12

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (Xbox 360)
$13.55

The Biggest Loser Ultimate Workout (Xbox 360)
$22.54

NBA 2K9 (Xbox 360)
$29.99

Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox 360)
$11.85

Fallout 3 (Xbox 360)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox 360

Old 12-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Default Xbox 360 Slim E68 error

Okay, hoping for some info and advice.

Up until last night I hadn't used my 360 Slim in quite a while.

One thing that I hate about it is the fact that the power and eject buttons are touch sensitive and not actual buttons that you press. I don't know if this caused the problem (but I'm sure it probably was a factor), but in the process of moving the console to connect the A/V cable to the back of it, I had inadvertently turned the system on and off a few times. In hind sight I probably should have unplugged the power cord until everything was situated, but what is done is done.

When I finally went to turn it on intentionally, the 360 logo started coming up, and then the light around the power button turned red and it went to the E68 screen. After doing some research online, I turned the system off, removed the hard drive, turned it back on, and it turned on fine.

My concern is this. While I know it may be hard to say for certain one way or the other, does anyone know if it is most likely that the hard drive, itself is damaged (and replacing it with a new one will work fine), or is it more likely that a problem now exists with the system in reading any hard drive?

In researching this error code online online, I've come across a few instances of people having both kinds of problems (in some cases the specific hard drive is faulty, in other cases there's a problem with the system that results in this error code coming up when attaching any otherwise good hard drive).

It's a catch-22 as to which problem I would "prefer" for it to be. If the hard drive, itself, is damaged, it means all of my data, especially my game save data is lost. Unfortunately I don't have it backed up elsewhere (my own fault, I know). But if the hard drive is otherwise fine (meaning I might be able to retrieve data from it), it means there's a problem with the system which could be more complicated to fix. I already ordered a replacement official 360 hard drive from ebay for a good price, so I should have it soon. I'm planning to pick up a special cord that will let me connect the existing hard drive to my computer via USB to see if I can get the data off of it.

I'm just curious as to anyone's knowledge and experience with this issue.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas

OK, does the hard drive still have all of your saved data? If so, you can move it to the cloud temporarily until you can get a new hard drive. Your achievements are part of your GT. So all you've lost is your game play if it is toast.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
OK, does the hard drive still have all of your saved data? If so, you can move it to the cloud temporarily until you can get a new hard drive. Your achievements are part of your GT. So all you've lost is your game play if it is toast.
The problem is that I'm unable to move my game saves to the cloud since the system won't function with the hard drive attached. If I turn the system on with the hard drive in it, I get the error screen and can't do anything else. Plus it's been so long since I last used the system that I don't think the "cloud" existed the last time that I used it to the best of my knowledge (if it did, I just never noticed).

After removing the hard drive, I could use the system, I did a system update, and I did see the cloud save option after updating, but since the system won't work with the hard drive attached, I'm kind of screwed.

On my lunch break today I did go and pick up a cable that will allow me to attach the hard drive to my USB port on my computer, so I'm going to see if I can retrieve any of the files that way to hang onto them.

My biggest concern is there being a problem with my system where if I put a new hard drive in it, this problem will still happen (meaning that the issue may not be with the hard drive, itself, but rather with the system and the part of that connects to and reads any attached hard drive).
Old 12-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Very curious if the HDD you are getting will work.

I've accidentally cut power to my 360 S instead of a proper shut down on 2 different drives quite a few times (receiver kill switch oops) but have no issues or error codes with my 360.

There was a recent system update but you seem to have got that one ok.. I'd be more concerned with the drive unless you didn't have much on it.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:49 AM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Well, somewhat good news.

I've managed to get the hard drive working to some extent.

After doing some googling and youtube video watching, I came across a video of someone who must have had a similar problem to me. Using a connector similar to what I picked up today, this guy hooked the hard drive to his computer. It doesn't actually show up under "my computer," but under control panel and administrative tools, there is option to view all storage devices.

For some reason it was coming up as an "unallocated hard drive," which is the problem this guy was having. In the video he explains to do a quick format (which doesn't eliminate the data on the hard drive, but does slightly reduce space for some reason). Then afterwards the 360 recognizes it. He did say in his video that he had to do this a few times, so it sounds like it's not permanent.

So I did all of that, put it back in my system, and it is working. It does seem to be moving slower than it used to, so I think something is still up with the hard drive.. The good news is that I'm able to get to my data. So I'm backing everything up onto a few thumb drives that I have. I'll still use that hard drive that I ordered on ebay once it arrives and copy things on there.

The biggest loss would have been my Rock Band data. Both the progress and custom characters, etc. I'm grateful that I got it working!
Old 12-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #6

Dec 2009

If you have a portable HDD just download Horizon and transfer them to it. That is what I do to all my important saves. I put them on the thumbdrive and then export them to my HDD via Horizon. I used to use Modio but that program changed and doesn't work as well. Sorry meant make back ups of them. That way in the case of something happening you will have the back ups.

I had the same problem with my slim as well. When I had the HDD in it wouldn't detect it. I would take it and put it back in and it would read sometimes. Come to find out there was something wrong with it internally. Xbox wanted to charge $100 to fix it. pshh
I just got a 4 GB E model for $80 at BB and the HDD reads fine. I'm going to take the slim apart later and see what is wrong with it. My old xbox (fatty) was getting the dreaded Open Tray error so I opened it up cleaned it and it is working fine now. My slim is also having Open Tray error so I'll take it apart and see if I can fix it as well.

Last edited by neoz; 12-20-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:53 AM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Just a quick follow up on this issue for anyone who cares.

I got the replacement hard drive and installed it today. So far so good. It seems to be working fine. I copied data from the memory sticks to the hard drive, and redownloaded a couple of things. For the most part everything seems to be intact. And this hard drive is definitely working better than the old one, which even after I "finagled" it into working, was still moving slow.

The only issue, which addmitedly is relatively minor, is some data that couldn't be copied from the old hard drive. Mostly stuff that has copy restrictions, including some game saves from games from the original Xbox that could be played on the 360, and music that I copied from some CDs. Nothing detrimental. Hopefully I can find a way around it, but if not, it's not the end of the world.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:12 AM   #8

Dec 2009

^^^

You'll have to go Xbox.com and do a license transfer. After you do that redownload the items and you'll be able to play them offline without having to be connected to Xbox Live all the time.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:40 AM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoz View Post
^^^

You'll have to go Xbox.com and do a license transfer. After you do that redownload the items and you'll be able to play them offline without having to be connected to Xbox Live all the time.
Huh? The License is attached to the console, not the hard drive. I'm able to use items offline now. All I did was get a new hard drive, it's the same console that I already had.

My issue is that there is stuff that the console won't allow me to copy from one storage device to another (this includes music that was just previously copied from CDs... not something "licensed" through MS/Xbox, and game save files for games from the original Xbox... meaning actual games on discs that are compatible with 360, it's just the save progress files).
Old 12-26-2013, 05:14 AM   #10

Dec 2009

^^^

Hmm odd that you couldn't transfer your Original Xbox saves? Were you signed into your profile when you tried? I know some stuff is stupid and won't let you transfer though. I have a few saves like that and it is dumb.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:21 AM   #11

Jan 2013

Hey,

Since I don't have an account that allows me to stasrt new threads, I have to piggyback on someone elses thread (I've been a lurker herre for years...)... and probably not the best forum for this, but I figured I'd give it a try...

We have 4GB Slim and have experienced a couple of weird display issues, where the polygons are all random and stretched out of proportion. But this has only happened with a couple of games. The first was with the opening cut scene of Halo Reach. Master Chiefs shoulder goes wacky for a bit. (We even borrowed our friends copy of the game to rule out a bad disc, but it flaked out in exactly the same way with both discs.). Otherwise the game seems to play fine.

The next instance of this was when we got Disney Infinity for the kiddos for Christmas... The intro scene was a total mess... couldn't even see enough to play it, so we returned it.

Any thoughts on this? It doesn't seem to be the typical Red Ring issues... Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox 360