Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Wildlife (Blu-ray)
$29.49
12 hrs ago
First Reformed (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Six Moral Tales (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.26
19 hrs ago
The Lighthouse (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > Streaming Movies > Disney+

Old 02-16-2020, 07:54 PM   #1961
Special Member

Oct 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_dave View Post
What original content does HBO Max offers?

Disney+ offers a handful of movies and TV series. AppleTV offers a handful of TV shows. Peacock will offer a handful of TV shows.

HBO Max has yet to announce their full original content slate.
I know they plan a TV series adaptation of Station Eleven. Anyway obviously "not announcing" != "Not going to be any", but I'm sure it will have more "adult" content and so much stuff like "Sneakerella".
Old 02-17-2020, 01:27 AM   #1962
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by farerb View Post
Why would I subscribe to D+ if what they offer in original content is garbage like Noelle, Sneakerella and that president thing? I already own most of their catalog on Blu-ray. Disney needs to step up to more quality production than what they put on the Disney Channel, otherwise they are going to fail. Especially when HBO Max launches.
Yeah, plus there's very little content on there. Maybe it's good enough to keep me entertained for a month or two, but after that, I can see D+ getting boring very quickly. Not sure what the hype is with D+; it's a bit overrated if you ask me...
Old 02-17-2020, 01:31 AM   #1963
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorsScrewdriver View Post
The only reason Disney+ is lower in price is because they are playing catch-up and are trying to maximize the number of customers they have. Once they have gotten close to their customer ceiling, they will be raising prices too.
No streaming service raises their prices as fast of a rate as Netflix. A few years ago, I was sold in subscribing to Netflix because it's was only $8 per month. Now, just a few years later, it's $13.

I have a hard time believing that if Disney raises their rates (if they even do), that it will be as big of a hike as Netflix. Even Hulu hasn't even been raising their rates as much. I believe there was only one small price increase in the last five years... not to mention that their plan with ads actually went down in price, I believe.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:06 AM   #1964
Special Member

Dec 2014
Dublin, Ireland

I heard some more unsurprising news tonight about The Simpsons in the UK & Ireland.

Apparently it is not being streamed in those countries because the show has some linear deals still in place with 3 broadcasters/TV platforms namely RTÉ in Ireland and Sky & Channel 4 in the UK. The Disney+ UK Twitter account did not include the spinning doughnut, which is shown in the U.S. & other countries, at the end of their promo video for the UK's launch on the 24th of March.

To put things in perspective. RTÉ2 have rights to The Simpsons in Ireland. Sky One & Channel 4 have rights to the show in the UK.

https://twitter.com/DisneyPlusUK/sta...15042098548737

There is also a current issue with The Spectacular Spiderman which belongs to Marvel Studios. That show is currently shown on a linear kids channel called Pop Max in the UK. There is a listing for the show on Pop Max's official website. I am not sure what is to happen with that show. Although I would assume that The Spectacular Spiderman would not be shown on Disney+ until the company that owns Pop Max either puts a halt to their transmission deal or let their current contract run out for the show in it's entirety with prior agreement from Disney in future.

Sky have some TV channels called Fox UK, various channels from National Geographic & Disney and BT Sport ESPN available on their Satellite TV platform.

Some of Fox's shows also have a linear free to air broadcast deal with ITV in the UK. Family Guy, American Dad, The Cleveland Show & Bob Burgers are currently shown on ITV2. This free to air deal with ITV was done when Rupert Murdoch was the owner of both Sky & Fox a few years before he had officially sold Sky over to Comcast since last year along with most of his Fox assets to Disney. The previous free to air deal for these animated shows from Fox was made with BBC Two & BBC Three before BBC Three became an online service on BBC iPlayer & Youtube. A separate Pay TV deal for those animated shows is currently in place with Fox UK. That separate deal for the shows still remains unchanged to the present day.

TV shows like Marvel's Agent's of Shield is also shown on RTÉ2 in Ireland & on Channel 4 in the UK. A lot of the Marvel Studios movies have been shown on RTÉ2; more recently they had shown Doctor Strange & GOTG Vol.2. The Sky Movies Channels, Sky Go & ITV have access to those movies in the UK.

At a guess; I would say that this would mean that Disney+ would be very much a watered down service in these 2 countries when compared to what is offered in the U.S. & in other countries that are to get it as a subscription.

I also wouldn't pay for Disney+ either because I currently own some movies from Disney & Marvel on DVD & Blu-ray in my collection.

My own mum has some Disney DVD's in her collection as well so we are pretty happy with what we have in our house.

Last edited by dublinbluray108; 02-18-2020 at 03:30 AM.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:34 PM   #1965
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

What the heck is going on with Disney+?

I tried it out for a month last November. It was nice have some 4K movies for a small monthly subscription price, but decided the content was too little to keep me entertained, so I dropped it.

Now (a few months later), I re-instate my subscription only to immediately find out that 4K no longer works on my Android TV. It was working fine before, so what the heck? I called Disney+ to report the issue. They claim that 4K should work on my Android app, but after having me re-install the app, clearing the cache, and rebooting my TV, there was no success in getting 4K to work on my TV. Not sure why. 4K works just fine on all my other apps.

And not to mention, almost no additional content was added since I last had my subscription in November, with the exception of a just a few new release movies that were added. Overall, the amount of content is only a fraction of what Netflix has. And the TV shows on here are all kids shows. It's great to keep the little kids entertained, but nothing here for adults to enjoy as well. No wonder why the subscription rate is so low. You get what you pay for.

I'm hoping the content gets better than this with time. But, it's very disappointing and for now, I won't be keeping this after my 30 days is up...
Old 02-18-2020, 08:02 PM   #1966
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2018

Very frustrated with the quality of the UHD streams. Night and day compared to the MoviesAnywhere stream. I know Dis+ has a lower bitrate but I think there is more at play. The colors seem off on Dis+. I almost wonder if all their UHD streams are just upconverted HD streams?
Old 02-19-2020, 08:12 PM   #1967
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs commenter View Post
Very frustrated with the quality of the UHD streams. Night and day compared to the MoviesAnywhere stream. I know Dis+ has a lower bitrate but I think there is more at play. The colors seem off on Dis+. I almost wonder if all their UHD streams are just upconverted HD streams?
I find it quite puzzling why the streaming quality of other streaming platforms seem inferior to Netflix. Netflix' HD plan looks pretty amazing on my TV. But other platforms like Vudu, GooglePlay, Disney+ and Hulu all look significantly inferior. Is Netflix the only service that uses a high bitrate or something?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > Streaming Movies > Disney+