Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Wildlife (Blu-ray)
$29.49
12 hrs ago
First Reformed (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Six Moral Tales (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.26
19 hrs ago
The Lighthouse (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 02-20-2020, 11:11 PM   #194681
Special Member

May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolat View Post
So I know B&N will rewrap returned and possibly used criterions to sell them as new does Amazon do the same when it's shipped and sold directly? I got Love Streams today and there is no dual format sticker and the shrinkwrap does not say "disc made in mexico" which I know the sticker and the manufacturer noted on the back are two solid indicators it is a brand new never opened copy but I'm having doubts about my Love Streams set. I also have received two other criterions directly sold by Amazon without the sticker or made in mexico labeling in the past couple months those were returned and exchanged but my second copies for those still did not have a sticker or made in.. labeling so I assumed those copies were in fact all new and for some reason never got the stickers and note.
This have been covered before. Summary: Despite allegations, there has never been any evidence presented that B&N systematically (or ever) rewraps returns and sells as them as new. It has been suggested that B&N used to unwrap/rewrap new discs in order to place those little security tags inside cases that would set off beepers in the store. It has also been posited that tight "shrinkwrap" is evidence of a rewrap, whereas slightly looser cellophane wrap with "folded" corners is evidence of a brand new disc. However, this has been debunked as plenty of discs purchased directly from Criterion used the tight shrinkwrap. Likewise, many of us have received brand new discs from Criterion without the "blue" or other stickers. Bottom line: You can get brand new Criterion discs is different wraps with or without stickers, from multiple sources.
Thanks given by:
Doc Moonlight (Yesterday), SteelyTom (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:11 AM   #194682
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will G View Post
The number one way to tell was the shrink wrap, new releases were crinkly, rewraps were heat sealed.
That also isn't true even for older items. Criterion confirmed long ago that certain titles were produced with both style wraps and different pressings of the same title could come in both heat wrap and cellophane style. They also confirmed that brand new copies direct from the factory could be missing the blue sticker

I have bought several older titles when they were 1st released (in-store or direct from Criterion or BN) with the blue sticker in the stretchy wrap and I've seen different copies in-store side by side of the same title both with the Autographed sticker, but different wraps.

I don't think there is any hard/fast rules telling a 1st wrap vs rewrap and suspect that many items suspected of being rewraps were mistakenly labelled reseals,
Thanks given by:
Will G (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:21 AM   #194683
Expert Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilenewoodsfan99 View Post
Cinderella turned 70 a few days ago. Not going to lie, I would love to see Criterion restore it to its well deserved glory.
Thanks for the Inspiration!
This one's slightly less elaborate but I hope you like it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cinderella Final.jpg (99.6 KB, 70 views)
Thanks given by:
ilenewoodsfan99 (Yesterday), MsVampira (Yesterday), softunderbelly (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:11 AM   #194684

Jan 2019
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikachufan1336 View Post
Thanks for the Inspiration!
This one's slightly less elaborate but I hope you like it
Lovely!
Old Yesterday, 02:28 AM   #194685

Jan 2018

Well thanks everyone. My mind is at ease since I do remember I did receive two titles from Nov's flash sale without stickers. So there ia just noway of knowingbut at least it comes from all vendors including Criterion themselves.
Old Yesterday, 03:32 AM   #194686
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2011
Inverness

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragnitoM View Post
Five Films by John Cassavetes, BBS Story, BRD Trilogy, Before Trilogy, Trilogy of Life, and Dekalog are all digipak box sets that I have. There are a few more. If the disc tray is plastic with a paper case, then it’s a digipak and those are definitely box sets

What version do you have of before trilogy

Last edited by joy-division; Yesterday at 03:41 AM.
Old Yesterday, 05:22 AM   #194687

Oct 2010
Rhode Island

Janus Films update!

Days of Being Wild (1990, Wong Kar-wai)
http://www.janusfilms.com/films/1974

As Tears Go By (1988, Wong Kar-wai)
http://www.janusfilms.com/films/1975

---------

Also, the 404'd phantom pages for Fallen Angels and Happy Together are now active again.

http://www.janusfilms.com/films/1742
http://www.janusfilms.com/films/1743

Missing is 2046, which previously had a phantom page on the website.
Thanks given by:
Mike0284 (Yesterday), sminister (Yesterday), StarDestroyer52 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM   #194688
Expert Member

Jul 2018
Washington, DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy-division View Post
What version do you have of before trilogy
Bluray if thatís what you meant
Old Yesterday, 08:35 AM   #194689
Expert Member

Jul 2018
Washington, DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
Janus Films update!

Days of Being Wild (1990, Wong Kar-wai)
http://www.janusfilms.com/films/1974

As Tears Go By (1988, Wong Kar-wai)
http://www.janusfilms.com/films/1975

---------

Also, the 404'd phantom pages for Fallen Angels and Happy Together are now active again.

http://www.janusfilms.com/films/1742
http://www.janusfilms.com/films/1743

Missing is 2046, which previously had a phantom page on the website.
Even if there was a phantom page for 2046, it not touring with the other films makes me think it’s not part of the box set, which would be disappointing
Old Yesterday, 08:38 AM   #194690
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2014
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragnitoM View Post
Even if there was a phantom page for 2046, it not touring with the other films makes me think itís not part of the box set, which would be disappointing
But a 4K restoration was done, as confirmed by Wong Kar Wai and his studio, who also said Janus/Criterion had the rights to all 10 restorations.
Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM   #194691

Dec 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates_Motel View Post
But a 4K restoration was done, as confirmed by Wong Kar Wai and his studio, who also said Janus/Criterion had the rights to all 10 restorations.
Source please?
Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM   #194692
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2016
Eastern Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
[Show spoiler]

In related news, I don't think it was mentioned here, but the star of Branded to Kill, and so many more Japanese gangster/noir films, Jo Shishido passed away on January 20th, at the age of 86. He had an iconic look due in part to his surgically augmented cheeks. I recommend picking up Criterion's Nikkatsu Noir Eclipse DVD set to see some of his best work, including The Colt is My Passport, and Cruel Gun Story.

[Show spoiler]

And with regards to Seijun Suzuki films in the vein of Tokyo Drifter, and Branded to Kill, I'd also recommend Arrow's release of Detective Bureau 2-3: Go to Hell, Bastards!. And If you're region free, pick up Eureka's release of Youth of the Beast, which is long overdue for a Criterion release. Both also starring Shishido.
Reminder that I need to pick up the Nikkatsu Noir set during one of the sales, really enjoyed the formentioned titles and really want to view the other ones.
Thanks given by:
Jazzmonkie (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM   #194693
Expert Member

Jul 2018
Washington, DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates_Motel View Post
That confirmation 10 months ago was that restorations were done and all 10 films would tour, but not all the films are actually being shown at the Lincoln Center Retrospective—so the information gave in an interview didn’t turn out to be completely accurate, something was out of context, or there was an unforeseen distribution problem.

I’m hoping we get everything, but the fact that Blueberry, Grandmaster, 2046, and Ashes don’t seem to be a part of the retrospective will make me wonder until the box set is actually announced
Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM   #194694
Special Member

May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolat View Post
Well thanks everyone. My mind is at ease since I do remember I did receive two titles from Nov's flash sale without stickers. So there ia just noway of knowingbut at least it comes from all vendors including Criterion themselves.
Yeah, you're safe >99% of the time.

There's been a mix of conspiracy theories and legitimate concerns over the years, but I guess that's the nature of collecting. I've had to return a couple of Criterion titles to B&N, but it was for damage that was only obvious once I got them home and opened them up. And Criterion's reputation for helping customers directly with damaged discs/booklets, and especially the "bronzing" issue that impacted some their early BD releases, is well-established.
Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM   #194695
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddington View Post
Despite allegations, there has never been any evidence presented that B&N systematically (or ever) rewraps returns and sells as them as new.
Best Buy, however, does do that.
Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM   #194696
Special Member

May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arawn View Post
Best Buy, however, does do that.
Didn't know that. Not a retailer I really use for BDs. I think I've only ever bought from the $5.99 bin there, so maybe I've got one of them? Not that I've had a problem.
Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM   #194697
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2015

I should specify that I'm specifically talking about their website.
Thanks given by:
Reddington (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM   #194698
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arawn View Post
I should specify that I'm specifically talking about their website.
Which is basically the same supplier/wholesaler/warehouse (ALLIANCE) as everyone else including Criterion.com
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors