Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Twilight Zone: Season One (Blu-ray)
$37.99

The Good Place: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$50.31

Avatar - The Last Airbender: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Dragon Ball Z: Seasons 1-9 Collection (Blu-ray)
$123.49

Police Squad!: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Arrow: A Journey's End (Blu-ray)
$10.00
12 hrs ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$33.28
4 hrs ago
The Return of Ultraman (Blu-ray)
$24.99

FLCL: Progressive / Alternative (Blu-ray)
$33.99

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime: Season One, Part 02 (Blu-ray)
$33.42

Attack on Titan: Season 3, Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 01-24-2020, 12:46 PM   #361
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Bristol, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcha View Post
When Discovery started production, I never really did like the series, even after it aired (let's just say I had issues with the content of the series). Then, when I heard that Picard would have the same type of "content", I just assumed that it would turn me off new Star Trek content forever.

That was until I watched the pilot episode of Picard. The episode blew me away. From the soundtrack to the action sequences. I couldn't find any fault with this episode. It felt more like a major motion picture film than your typical television series episode. I still have goosebumps from the first episode. I have to say that I'm officially hooked on this series.

[Show spoiler]What was also interesting was that "the girl" seems to be Data's daughter and not "Picard's daughter" as has been hyped since the speculation started to run wild. I don't know about anyone else but Picard has sucked me back into the Star Trek universe. Something that Discovery had never done. But, it does feel like CBS has decided to retcon Star Trek Nemesis, which has been one of the better Star Trek films, for me, at any rate.
They seemed to go out of their way to bring up the events of Nemesis so not sure what was retconned about it?
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (01-28-2020), Havenbull (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 01:13 PM   #362
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008

I did like the episode. I'm interested in hearing more about the destruction of
[Show spoiler]Utopia Planitia, especially curious if that means that Geordi is dead since he worked there.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:22 PM   #363

May 2018
Germany

I enjoyed the Pilot a lot. Totally different what I espected and very mysterious. Looking forward for th enext episodes
Old 01-24-2020, 01:24 PM   #364

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey Parker View Post
I did like the episode. I'm interested in hearing more about the destruction of
[Show spoiler]Utopia Planitia, especially curious if that means that Geordi is dead since he worked there.
From what I hear
[Show spoiler]he will be mentioned but not sure if that means he is dead or alive. I don't think he has any cameos so far but it would be cool to have him on there.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:04 PM   #365
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013

Great first episode, looking forward to seeing more.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:05 PM   #366

Aug 2012
Surrey, UK

I was worried that my expectations for Picard were just too high, and I was only going to be disappointed.

But almost from the opening moments of this premiere, I was swept up. Picard avoids excessive nostalgia (but provides just a nice amount) and begins by telling a tale full of emotion and character. It's markedly different from Star Trek: Discovery, both in terms of visuals and writing. The pace is measured and characters are given room to breathe, the action is sparse but hard-hitting. Patrick Stewart himself is a frailer man than the one we remember, but there's no mistaking that this is our Jean-Luc Picard back on screen.

It's still early days and there are a lot of directions this story could take. But here I was surprised at just how impactful some of the emotional moments and revelations were. Isa Briones is strong in the role of Dahj, seemingly
[Show spoiler]an unknown "daughter" of Data's,
but it was Picard's reaction to it all that made it have so much more weight. No mention of
[Show spoiler]Data's other daughter, Lal,
but that may come up later.

There was some awkward exposition early on with an interview sequence that didn't quite hit the mark due a mix of writing that was a bit too on-the-nose and the actor for the interviewer feeling weirdly out of place. For a mostly calm opening there was a surprising amount of information and story to be digested here and a lot of questions that I can't wait to be answered.
Thanks given by:
mastadge (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 07:16 PM   #367
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013

So it seems
[Show spoiler]Bruce Maddox (from The Measure of a Man) created Dahl and her twin sister from one of Data’s neurons, in the image of one of Data’s paintings.

Last edited by neoz; 01-24-2020 at 08:11 PM.
Thanks given by:
captveg (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 07:39 PM   #368
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

why aren't folks using spoiler tags for people who might not have seen the episode yet?!?
Old 01-24-2020, 08:00 PM   #369
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013

Oh and an Irish Romulan!
Old 01-24-2020, 09:04 PM   #370

Feb 2008
Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
There was some awkward exposition early on with an interview sequence that didn't quite hit the mark due a mix of writing that was a bit too on-the-nose and the actor for the interviewer feeling weirdly out of place. For a mostly calm opening there was a surprising amount of information and story to be digested here and a lot of questions that I can't wait to be answered.
Agreed, the interview was cringe-worthy. Picard is surely a famous man in his time, even revered for what he was done, and I don't buy the fact that the interviewer would have treated him in such a fashion, and if he didn't know if she had such a reputation for gotcha questions, then he wouldn't have agreed to the interview in the first place.

The interview was the only miss for me in a great first episode.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:17 PM   #371
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer View Post
Luckily it is much more restraint than Discovery. I too enjoyed the 1st episode.
Most definitely. It was definitely a great start for the series. Only thing I had a problem with was that Patrick Stewart's age really shows in the series and that the producers should be taking extra care when having him do these stunts. Otherwise, there could be a situation where Lucasfilm had with Harrison Ford when he injured his leg while filming a scene involving the Millenium Falcon's loading ramp.

It feels like a true sequel to Star Trek: Nemesis.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:56 PM   #372
Expert Member

Oct 2018
nj

I enjoyed the first episode. Looking forward to the rest of the season.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:56 PM   #373
Expert Member

Oct 2018
nj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josep5349 View Post
So it seems
[Show spoiler]Bruce Maddox (from The Measure of a Man) created Dahl and her twin sister from one of Data’s neurons, in the image of one of Data’s paintings.
Seems like it.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:08 PM   #374

Feb 2008
Maryland

Quote:
Most definitely. It was definitely a great start for the series. Only thing I had a problem with was that Patrick Stewart's age really shows in the series and that the producers should be taking extra care when having him do these stunts. Otherwise, there could be a situation where Lucasfilm had with Harrison Ford when he injured his leg while filming a scene involving the Millenium Falcon's loading ramp.

The character of Picard is 90 years old in this show. Pat Stew may be acting older than he is.
Thanks given by:
L-Rouge (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 10:22 PM   #375
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010
south

Quote:

In an interview with producer Michael Chabon,
[Show spoiler] he said he wrote the script as his father was dying, and hinted that this experience indirectly influenced the writing, in the form of the emotional experience of acknowledging mortality. That life is finite, so yes Picard is actually 90 in the series, and his frailties showing are deliberate in the writing.

That I believe was in the "Ready Room" interviews held by Will Wheaton, which airs after the show. I watched it on Facebook, it is not region locked

▪︎▪︎▪︎

My favourite scene
[Show spoiler]actually it was the Interview mentioned by a few here. Oh that was a strong statement on media influence. It was clearly designed to bolster a designed narrative on a historic event. I loved Picards mention of Dunkirk, he knew the reporter had no knowledge on history, he caught her a good one.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:30 PM   #376
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticwaterfall View Post
So, interesting point to think about...

[Show spoiler]
With the ban on Synthetic lifeforms, what about Voyagers EMH? Did they just deactivate him and confiscate his mobile emitter? Presumably they just turned off the other Mark 1s we see mining in "Author, Author" but the EMH would certainly seem a special case. The only hologram we see is the Alexa like "Index" who seems very limited in the Starfleet archives.
[Show spoiler]I'm pretty sure holograms are not seen as synthetics the same way androids are. For example, the Picard library had a hologram.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:33 PM   #377
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2008

Quote:
Only thing I had a problem with was that Patrick Stewart's age really shows in the series and that the producers should be taking extra care when having him do these stunts. Otherwise, there could be a situation where Lucasfilm had with Harrison Ford when he injured his leg while filming a scene involving the Millenium Falcon's loading ramp.
I imagine they'll keep action-Picard at a minimum. It seems they went out of their way to show he's older and more frail when going up those stairs.

Also gotta remember that while Stewart is 79 (80 in July), Picard is 94 when the new series starts. (Picard is born in 2305, and the new series starts in 2399).

Brief timeline guide:

TNG S1-S7 - 2364-2370 (Picard age 59-65)
TNG films - 2371-2379 (Picard age 66-74)
ST2009 - Romulan star goes supernova in 2387 (Short Trek "Children of Mars" takes place shortly before this when Mars is attacked) (Picard age 82)
ST:P - 2399-??? (Picard age 94-???)

Last edited by captveg; 01-24-2020 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:38 PM   #378
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

We thoroughly enjoyed the first episode. Some heavy-handed exposition early on aside, we didn't really have any gripes at all, it was just great to see Patrick Stewart back.

Beautifully shot too, some of the cinematography around the vineyard was breathtaking.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:09 AM   #379

Jan 2020

Watched the first one. It's very much a mixed bag. 6/10

Some lovely cinematography and then some terrible editing. Good acting from Picard but the other characters wooden and forgettable. And they chucked about three plots into one episode. Maybe the kids couldn't relate to that tetchy old man in test screenings? Overall the episode felt really rushed and only 46 minutes long? Come on

So the Jurys still out. I'll give it another episode or two to see how it pans out.

edit. Its already ten times better than STD I'll say that for it

Last edited by Flashman07; 01-25-2020 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:15 AM   #380
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2013
Right Behind You

Quote:
Originally Posted by captveg View Post
[Show spoiler]I'm pretty sure holograms are not seen as synthetics the same way androids are. For example, the Picard library had a hologram.
[Show spoiler]It did, but like I said it was stripped down model that was more like a glorified Alexa then a true being like the EMH was/is. Its capabilities are probably pretty rigidly controlled.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows