Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
22 hrs ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
19 hrs ago
The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$36.64
3 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Molly's Game (Blu-ray)
$5.00
14 hrs ago
Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Sonic the Hedgehog 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge (Blu-ray)
$18.99

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 01-24-2020, 10:53 AM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007
Oxford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister_M View Post
May as well connect it to Alien and Total Recall while they're at at, it's all the same universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
Throw in Soldier too
Film's (not remakes) based on or directly inspired by the works of Philip K Dick are Total Recall, Minority Report, Soldier, and Paycheck to name a few. Not sure how Alien fit's into the mix...
Old 01-24-2020, 10:58 AM   #22
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2013
South Carolina

He could use the same look of Blade Runner in this film he wants to make, but not have Blade Runner in the title.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:41 AM   #23
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2008
Berlin, Germany

Throw away comment becomes distinct possibility. The Internet !
Old 01-24-2020, 12:00 PM   #24
Power Member

Oct 2014
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildWhelk View Post
Film's (not remakes) based on or directly inspired by the works of Philip K Dick are Total Recall, Minority Report, Soldier, and Paycheck to name a few. Not sure how Alien fit's into the mix...
Ridley Scott more or less confirmed that Blade Runner and ALIEN (meaning his film adaptions) takes place in the same universe. Dialogue was written for Weyland's fictional TED talk that directly referenced Tyrell/the Tyrell Corporation in Los Angeles; it was not included in the final released TED talk video though.

Thanks given by:
NeoVisionist (01-28-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 01:14 PM   #25

Mar 2014
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaDK View Post
Ridley Scott more or less confirmed that Blade Runner and ALIEN (meaning his film adaptions) takes place in the same universe.
The same universe thing is just retconned for his own personal head-canon because both movies involve outer space (one is set there, one references it) and androids.

He doesn't own the IPs (2 different studios do), and Blade Runner was definitely not imagined as connected to Alien when it was written and filmed.

It's fart-huffing.
Thanks given by:
Zillamon51 (01-31-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 01:30 PM   #26
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2011
Dryland

killjoy
Thanks given by:
Atomic Salad (01-24-2020), NeoVisionist (01-28-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 01:42 PM   #27
Power Member

Feb 2008
Southeastern NC

I don't have much interest in Blade Runner 2059 or whatever. To me, the Blade Runner story has been told, and any sequel would just be another robot/ape uprising movie. I would have some interest in a fresh story from that universe.

What would really interest me would be a movie version of the original novel. Like most Philip K. Dick movies, his stories form the basis of the movies but extensive changes are made ... primarily since PKD's writing style is an acquired taste. While the movie centers upon "Is Deckard a replicant?", the novel explores the topic is what it means to be human, and asks the question "Is it possible for a replicant to be more 'human' than a human being?". It might actually do better as a limited run TV series, and to be honest, might not appeal to many die-hard "Blade Runner" fans.
Thanks given by:
NeoVisionist (01-28-2020), s2mikey (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 02:21 PM   #28
Expert Member

Sep 2018
You don't need to know where I live...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallendo View Post
I don't have much interest in Blade Runner 2059 or whatever. To me, the Blade Runner story has been told, and any sequel would just be another robot/ape uprising movie. I would have some interest in a fresh story from that universe.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallendo View Post
What would really interest me would be a movie version of the original novel. Like most Philip K. Dick movies, his stories form the basis of the movies but extensive changes are made ... primarily since PKD's writing style is an acquired taste. While the movie centers upon "Is Deckard a replicant?", the novel explores the topic is what it means to be human, and asks the question "Is it possible for a replicant to be more 'human' than a human being?". It might actually do better as a limited run TV series, and to be honest, might not appeal to many die-hard "Blade Runner" fans.
I do NOT agree the original BR centres on "is Deckard a replicant?" at all. I very much watch the movie as "struggle for existence" for both humans and replicants.

Back to the topic, additional BR projects from Denis V. I will certainly support as he is a great film maker. BR2049 already sets in motion a wave of revolution to come and I think it is best left where it finished. There are plenty of material to cover leading up to the original BR. I don't think it is really needed but if Denis is interested in the project, I'll oblige.

Last edited by GRD43L; 01-24-2020 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:14 PM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Salad View Post
The same universe thing is just retconned for his own personal head-canon because both movies involve outer space (one is set there, one references it) and androids.

He doesn't own the IPs (2 different studios do), and Blade Runner was definitely not imagined as connected to Alien when it was written and filmed.

It's fart-huffing.
Was it head canon or just trying to a bit of publicity with the shared universe idea being popular?

Also I there seems to be a lot of head canons out there. I think there should be licensing before someone gets hurt.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:17 PM   #30
Power Member

Jul 2018
Seattle

I'd love for this film to happen but after the BO performance of 2049, I doubt we ever will. If we do, it will be probably 10-20 years from now.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:17 PM   #31
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
I dunno. I liked 2049 a lot but feel it ends the story with that terrific final scene. What are they gonna do? Just fabricate another situation and have a go at it again? I think it would feel repetitive. Like to see Denis work on something else. Like what’s up with Dune?
He made it quite clear that he had interest in a new story set in that world unrelated to Deckard, etc.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:12 AM   #32

Dec 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBlu-RayFan View Post
I think the focus right now is the upcoming Black Lotus anime series, after that I think we'll have to wait on how Alcon wants to continue the franchise.
Does anybody really want an anime series of Blade Runner? It will bomb - on that basis Alcon will decide there's "no interest" in the franchise and there will be no more movies or TV series.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:24 AM   #33
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009

Considering the Japanese influence on the world of Blade Runner -- Yeah -- I would be open to an anime based on 'Blade Runner'.

The biggest key to it will be finding a quality animation studio.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:38 AM   #34
Blu-ray Champion

May 2018
Arkham, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Friendly View Post
Does anybody really want an anime series of Blade Runner?
I want it.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:56 AM   #35
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildWhelk View Post
Weyland-Yutani's off-world colonies are the same ones mentioned in Blade Runner. Plus it stands to reason that the "artificial persons" in Alien are the same thing as Replicants, just with further cybernetic enhancement and more practical blending of cybernetic and organic elements.

Oh, and Minority Report started out as a direct sequel to Total Recall, funnily enough. The precogs were originally supposed to be mutants from Mars. Of course, the Alien universe also fits nicely with Dick's worldview, what with all the constant looming presence of a power hungry corporation quite prepared to risk humanity's future for the sake of obtaining a seemingly unstoppable bio-weapon.

Last edited by Alister_M; 01-31-2020 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:39 AM   #36
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
Avondale, Arizona

Well, did Blade Runner need sequel? No. But we got one and it was a good flick.

2049 ends on a great note but teases of a future in that world that I am very interested in seeing. The uprising. We don't need to see it but to see it and if it works? Damn. I'd love to see it.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:27 AM   #37
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007
Oxford

I want to see more of the world of Blade Runner in 2049 outside of Los Angeles. What would New York be like, or perhaps other countries in the world? London or Paris? How has the climate change affected the polar icecaps? There is a huge wealth of places they could go...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Tags
blade runner, denis villeneuve