Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Hunt for Red October 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.26

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Dolittle 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
23 hrs ago
Terminator: Dark Fate 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Sonic the Hedgehog 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Queen & Slim 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Spider-Man Limited Edition 4K Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.22
50 min ago
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.63

Underworld 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
6 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > International Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 01-24-2020, 02:54 AM   #81

Sep 2015
South Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecescups View Post
...but still considering making the jump to region free blu ray now.
It's invaluable. As an example, the Region A Nosferatu the Vampyre from Shout! Factory is terribly DNR-ed. The UK Region B (locked) release from BFI, on the other hand, is free from digital tinkering and has a superior, filmic look. Guess which one I got? All thanks to having a region-free player. You can get them quite cheap nowadays.
Thanks given by:
Jlouisbarrett (01-24-2020), reecescups (01-26-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 12:33 PM   #82

Aug 2018
-
-
-

Very excited about this! I will probably have to buy a region free player just to watch the extras haha, been considering a region free player for a while anyway.

Ok sorry but i need to ask a couple of noob questions here as i have never ordered from amazon uk before.
I assume i have to create a new account and my usa account will not work, yes? (which would be unfortunate as i have still have funds in my amazon wallet)

Also (and this question is probably far dumber than the previous) can i use paypal as payment method on amazon.uk ?
Old 01-24-2020, 01:20 PM   #83
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle15 View Post
It's an assumption, because one can also assume it was CBS not footing the bill for an HDR or DV grade.
Or, just as well, one could note that those are TV episodes, originally designed for NTSC dynamic range and, as such, have no bearing on what Lynch might choose to do with material created for a theatrical dynamic range.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 01:57 PM   #84
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
Or, just as well, one could note that those are TV episodes, originally designed for NTSC dynamic range and, as such, have no bearing on what Lynch might choose to do with material created for a theatrical dynamic range.
And the other thing is that it's not like they did the whole series in 4K. I'm sure that Lynch signed off on the 4K transfers that went onto the discs (does that mean that Ep 8 of series 3 is just a 2K SDR upscale?) but given that it was such a small scale remaster I'm not sure they/he wanted to bother with everything that 4K can provide.
Thanks given by:
Kyle15 (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 01:58 PM   #85

Sep 2015
South Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loiterur View Post
Ok sorry but i need to ask a couple of noob questions here as i have never ordered from amazon uk before.
I assume i have to create a new account and my usa account will not work, yes? (which would be unfortunate as i have still have funds in my amazon wallet)

Also (and this question is probably far dumber than the previous) can i use paypal as payment method on amazon.uk ?
You don't have to create a new account. Your U.S. login info will work. Paying with PayPal isn't an option, though. Credit/debit card only, if I'm not mistaken.
Thanks given by:
Loiterur (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 02:23 PM   #86
Expert Member

Aug 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
And the other thing is that it's not like they did the whole series in 4K. I'm sure that Lynch signed off on the 4K transfers that went onto the discs (does that mean that Ep 8 of series 3 is just a 2K SDR upscale?) but given that it was such a small scale remaster I'm not sure they/he wanted to bother with everything that 4K can provide.
FWIW, IMDB states that The Return has a 4K DI.

My guess is that nobody went back to do a specific HDR pass, and that The Return probably was finished in SDR, and the Pilot is just sourced from the existing 4K restoration that most likely was performed in SDR.
Thanks given by:
Kyle15 (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 04:34 PM   #87
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Alabama

Quote:
It's a 35mm production, which would always benefit from HDR even if subtle. It's true they might not have found it worth it to do though which in that case is a wasted opportunity tbh.
Thanks given by:
PeterTHX (01-25-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 05:40 PM   #88
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Tulsa, OK (but don't hold it against me!)

Quote:
It's an assumption, because one can also assume it was CBS not footing the bill for an HDR or DV grade. In other words it's all conjecture and ultimately means nothing. Unless he did say no and Studio Canal forced an HDR grade (which imo would be a complete disaster nearing Kino's flub with Lost Highway) it literally can be assumed either way. And seeing The Elephant Man with Lynch's endorsement and a DV/HDR grade one can make an educated guess, in your words, that he's not against it and CBS screwed the pooch on the former.
I only mean to point out that it's not as simple as "every member of this crowd thinking Lynch is a geezer without any knowledge about anything", you constant charmer you.
Thanks given by:
Kyle15 (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 05:54 PM   #89
Banned

May 2018

Neat cover that
Old 01-24-2020, 06:32 PM   #90
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker View Post
I only mean to point out that it's not as simple as "every member of this crowd thinking Lynch is a geezer without any knowledge about anything"
I did not say that. I said that there's a crowd who thinks he's a geezer. That's not the same thing. Not everyone who thinks he doesn't like HDR thinks he doesn't know anything, good lord. They're a lot more prominent than you think though!

Quote:
you constant charmer you.
I aim to please.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:43 PM   #91
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009

Quote:
It's a 35mm production, which would always benefit from HDR even if subtle.
It wouldn't benefit if your intent and philosophy is to stay accurate to the original intended colorspace and that colorspace is already correctly represented by an SDR grade.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:51 PM   #92
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Alabama

Quote:
It wouldn't benefit if your intent and philosophy is to stay accurate to the original intended colorspace and that colorspace is already correctly represented by an SDR grade.
35mm is not SDR. HDR isn't inherently revisionism.
Thanks given by:
Jlouisbarrett (01-24-2020), PeterTHX (01-25-2020), professorwho (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 07:49 PM   #93

May 2017
Cincinnati, OH

I will never forget the first time I seen this at the theater, when first released. Went by myself, thank God, as I was near bawling my eyes out before I could get to my car. Movie isn't 100% factual, according to research, but close enough-who could ever imagine what kind of pure Hell life must have been for this poor soul?? I still have the dvd. I don't own a region free player. I'll have to wait. (And by the way, I still cry when I watch it) Anne Bancroft was just great.
Thanks given by:
Weirded Wonder (01-25-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 07:57 PM   #94

Sep 2015
South Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by blugremlin View Post
I will never forget the first time I seen this at the theater, when first released. Went by myself, thank God, as I was near bawling my eyes out before I could get to my car. Movie isn't 100% factual, according to research, but close enough-who could ever imagine what kind of pure Hell life must have been for this poor soul?? I still have the dvd. I don't own a region free player. I'll have to wait. (And by the way, I still cry when I watch it) Anne Bancroft was just great.
My parents went to see it in the movie theater when it came out, and then my mother told me about it afterwards. I was 9 the first time I saw it, on Showtime. It made me cry, too, one of the few movies that has. And yeah, in real life, his name was Joseph Merrick, and supposedly he wasn't as exploited as in the movie, but that doesn't take away from the power of the film.
Thanks given by:
blugremlin (01-24-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 10:36 AM   #95

Aug 2018
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge92 View Post
You don't have to create a new account. Your U.S. login info will work. Paying with PayPal isn't an option, though. Credit/debit card only, if I'm not mistaken.
I typically use amazon gift cards to load funds into my amazon wallet. I currently have funds in my amazon wallet, am i able to transfer some of that into my amazon UK wallet?

If not.. will an amazon gift card code purchased here in USA work to load funds into my wallet on amazon UK ?

Alternatively (i use prepaid cards purchased here in USA, visa/mastercard etc, to purchase items online), can i use one of those to pay through amazon.co.uk ?

Update.. i tried the usa visa gift card, it said order success but then moments later declined. Is there any other place i can pre-order from other than amazon.co.uk ?

I apologize, i'm sure this isn't the proper place to be asking these things but the desire/attempt to purchase this Elephant Man 4K is what prompted me into it and there seems to be alot of helpful and intelligent people in here.

Last edited by Loiterur; 01-25-2020 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:51 PM   #96

Sep 2015
South Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loiterur View Post
Update.. i tried the usa visa gift card, it said order success but then moments later declined. Is there any other place i can pre-order from other than amazon.co.uk ?[/I]
You can also pre-order from Zavvi. Apparently the movie is also being released in a blu-ray single-disc edition. The three-disc 4K UHD set is more expensive on Zavvi than Amazon, though. If you don't mind me asking, is there a particular reason you can't just use a regular debit/credit card?
Thanks given by:
Loiterur (01-26-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 11:26 AM   #97

Aug 2018
-
-
-

Quote:
You can also pre-order from Zavvi. Apparently the movie is also being released in a blu-ray single-disc edition. The three-disc 4K UHD set is more expensive on Zavvi than Amazon, though. If you don't mind me asking, is there a particular reason you can't just use a regular debit/credit card?
I can i suppose, i just prefer to avoid using credit cards if i can.
Thanks heaps for the heads up on Zavvi.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:18 PM   #98
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Phil View Post
You'd favour 1080p SDR over 4K HDR because of....ratings logos?
Yes. It would really bother me that one out of 400ish movies on my 4K shelf would have rating logos all over it. Just like how it's going to bother me that Shutter Island is only getting a steelbook 4K release here in the states. One steelbook out of place on a shelf of 400 slipcovers.

Quote:
Some people like to watch movies; some people like to watch boxes.
I watch all of my movies. I usually watch at least one a day. However I also do just look at my shelves in admiration of my collection. I'm sure we all do. Blu-ray collecting is the same as any other kind of collecting. Sometimes you just stand and look at it.

Plus, I'd rather have every David Lynch movie on Criterion so they all match. It already bothers me enough that Lost Highway is out of place.

Last edited by RustinCohle; 01-26-2020 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:48 PM   #99

Sep 2015
South Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinCohle View Post
Yes. It would really bother me that one out of 400ish movies on my 4K shelf would have rating logos all over it. Just like how it's going to bother me that Shutter Island is only getting a steelbook 4K release here in the states. One steelbook out of place on a shelf of 400 slipcovers.

I watch all of my movies. I usually watch at least one a day. However I also do just look at my shelves in admiration of my collection. I'm sure we all do. Blu-ray collecting is the same as any other kind of collecting. Sometimes you just stand and look at it.
Ah. A fellow OCD-er. The ratings labels on the cover don't bother me, but I'm painfully OCD about the condition of the packaging of my movies. I've exchanged or outright rebought movies because of defective packaging. They have to be mint or extremely close to it. And there's nothing wrong with staring at your collection in admiration. I do it all the time.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:55 PM   #100
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2016

Quote:
Ah. A fellow OCD-er. The ratings labels on the cover don't bother me, but I'm painfully OCD about the condition of the packaging of my movies. I've exchanged or outright rebought movies because of defective packaging. They have to be mint or extremely close to it. And there's nothing wrong with staring at your collection in admiration. I do it all the time.
Yes, but real diagnosed OCD. I feel like "OCD" is thrown around on every thread in this forum. I just happen to really have it with every aspect of my daily life. Counting things, constantly adjusting things, triple checking that things are locked, etc. So yeah, it really bothers me if something doesn't match.
Thanks given by:
Surge92 (01-26-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > International Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies