Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95
2 hrs ago
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
17 hrs ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Superman: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
15 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Unforgiven 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
17 hrs ago
Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Orphen: Complete Collection SD (Blu-ray)
$10.99

The Good Place: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Motherless Brooklyn (Blu-ray)
$14.99
16 hrs ago
Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors

Old 02-11-2019, 06:56 PM   #1
Expert Member

Jun 2017
Auburn, WA
Default Newbie projector questions thread

We are purchasing our second home soon and I have already identified the room I will be using as a theater. My experience to this point has only been with display theaters so I have next to zero projector experience.

Is there a difference in HT projectors and office/school presentation projectors? Should I be wary of buying a gently used projector? Possibly only if they can prove the lamp has been recently replaced?
If I go 3D do I need a screen that is designed for 3D?
Are there wiring requirements/codes I must adhere to (WA state)?
Is the fan from a projector noticeable or are they virtually silent? I have mild misophonia so if it hums over my head during a quieter scene I may go insane.

The room is about 15'x20' and 8' ceilings. The rear wall has windows with blinds so I will need to explore curtains. Is there a certain lumen output I should identify for a room that can have some natural light let in?

Not sure on seating yet or screen height. I don't love the tilt angle of my current display as we tend to slouch on the couch a bunch. Maybe this screen should be much lower on the wall?
Old 02-11-2019, 11:14 PM   #2
Power Member

May 2011
Earth

There is a difference with home theatre projectors in contrast ratio especially.

Buying a used projector you take your chances, but there are people out there that take care of their stuff.

You do not need a special 3D screen.

Use a high speed cable capable of 18gbps or more. Use a 4K capable HDMI. Make sure they are in wall rated.

They can be quiet most manufacturers will list the fan dB.

Lumens for home theatre vs a day light room will vary.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:20 AM   #3
Special Member

Jan 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by peep6543 View Post
We are purchasing our second home soon and I have already identified the room I will be using as a theater. My experience to this point has only been with display theaters so I have next to zero projector experience.

Is there a difference in HT projectors and office/school presentation projectors? Should I be wary of buying a gently used projector? Possibly only if they can prove the lamp has been recently replaced?
If I go 3D do I need a screen that is designed for 3D?
Are there wiring requirements/codes I must adhere to (WA state)?
Is the fan from a projector noticeable or are they virtually silent? I have mild misophonia so if it hums over my head during a quieter scene I may go insane.

The room is about 15'x20' and 8' ceilings. The rear wall has windows with blinds so I will need to explore curtains. Is there a certain lumen output I should identify for a room that can have some natural light let in?

Not sure on seating yet or screen height. I don't love the tilt angle of my current display as we tend to slouch on the couch a bunch. Maybe this screen should be much lower on the wall?
Projectors can be a serious money pit. Think twice if the cost is worth it. Most (even good ones) have a pretty limited life compared to a TV and I'm not just talking about bulb repalcement.

They make noise, some worse than others, but I've never found one I couldn't hear in a quiet passage that had decent PQ if you are sitting within a few feet of it.

No special screen for 3D but you do want to look at the quality of the screen as that is one factor of what the PQ will be like, screens to look different.

Lumens you should look at some of the calculators. Requirment is based on multiple factors includeing the distance to the screen along with ambient light as well as the size of the screen you select.

I had a few projectors and switched to OLED. Like OLED a lot better. PQ is better, it is dead silent and it actually costs less. Granted you would have to buy used to get a 3D model at this point.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:27 AM   #4
Expert Member

Jun 2017
Auburn, WA

Thanks to both for the valuable info! I appreciate it.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:03 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78deluxe View Post
Projectors can be a serious money pit. Think twice if the cost is worth it. Most (even good ones) have a pretty limited life compared to a TV and I'm not just talking about bulb repalcement.

They make noise, some worse than others, but I've never found one I couldn't hear in a quiet passage that had decent PQ if you are sitting within a few feet of it.

No special screen for 3D but you do want to look at the quality of the screen as that is one factor of what the PQ will be like, screens to look different.

Lumens you should look at some of the calculators. Requirment is based on multiple factors includeing the distance to the screen along with ambient light as well as the size of the screen you select.

I had a few projectors and switched to OLED. Like OLED a lot better. PQ is better, it is dead silent and it actually costs less. Granted you would have to buy used to get a 3D model at this point.
My Sony 45es is just as quiet as my Tv and itís right above my head. The picture quality is really good as well. And besides changing the bulb every few years, Iím not sure how it would be a money pit. I havenít spent one extra dime in the last 2 years.

To the OP, I would definitely recommend a projector. If you want a true home theater experience, itís the best way to go, if you have the room for it. I own 3 4K TVs, but when itís time to watch a movie, the PJ is my go to. Be wary of buying used though. You should visit the AVS forum. Thereís plenty of PJ discussions and information there.
Thanks given by:
frogmort (02-12-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 01:23 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

If you can control the light in the room and will have a screen larger than 70" then it is my opinion that projector is the way to go. If you can't full control the light and you aren't going large then I wouldn't bother.

My advice is take whatever budget you have in mind and double it, then add 10% This is not a cheap hobby.

Edit 1: I've had my JVC X30 for over 5 years and have only replaced the bulb on it... so no money pit for me. There are ways to combat fan noise too, my projector is actually behind a wall so you can't hear it at all and my projector is less than 4' from my head.

Edit 2: As far as building codes go, do yourself a favour and do your own due diligence to check with your local building codes... take advice from anyone on the internet with a grain of salt. If your home burns down and your insurance declines your claim because of wiring decisions you made on the advice of someone on the internet that person isn't likely to bail you out.

Last edited by roar; 02-14-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:03 PM   #7
Expert Member

Jun 2017
Auburn, WA

Again, thanks for the valuable input I appreciate it.

I already have a 5.1.2 setup in my existing home with a 75" Sony XBR but the display and the two ceiling speakers (and potentially the two rears) will be staying behind. I don't need to budget a ton of money for the new equipment.

That said, I've gone back and forth on whether I need a 4k projector. I don't want this thread to divulge into 4k HDR vs. 1080 blu and upscaled etc. however I'm not sure I am really blown away by the jump from BD to 4k. I also feel as though I may have some buyer's remorse for not getting the latest technology. I can easily find a 1080/3D projector used for a couple hundred bucks. But I found the BenQ TK800 on Amazon with stellar reviews and reasonably priced at $1,200.

The room is half underground with a few windows on the rear wall that have blinds but not blackout. This projector is 3,000 lumens so I'm thinking that is a pretty good number? Not sure on screen size yet, that comes later.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:23 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

3,000 would likely be published lumen's, practical lumen's will likely be much less. That being said, any light at all is going to compromise the picture, light coming from the back of the room is best case scenario though. All these things go together, so screen size will also play a factor on how bright you get your screen as does the throw distance, the further away your projector is the more light will be lost.

I'm personally hung up on 4K myself, if I'm going to invest the money in one I want the panels to actually be true 4K and none of this pixel shifting funny business. There is currently so few true 4K options out there in my price range (~$5K) that I just am not ready to pull the trigger. You surely spent a pretty penny on your Sony, so you're not afraid to spend some cash, maybe the BenQ could work while 4K continues to mature.

I will make the jump to 4K eventually but right now my JVC just looks so darn good it is hard to justify it.
Thanks given by:
peep6543 (02-16-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 04:11 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
denver, co

I recently made the switch to a projector over a TV and I am never going back. It just has a wow factor you cannot beat. I don't agree that a projector is some massive money pit, at least not in my experience. Most bulbs nowadays are rated at 8,000+ hours which is A LOT. To put it in perspective, I feel like I have been using my projector constantly since I got mine for movies and gaming and my bulb was at 345 hours. All I have purchased is mounting equipment and blackout curtains for our theater room and it has been smooth sailing for the last year. I had planned on buying a proper screen for mine but it is honestly not essential if you have a white wall; the image on mine is comparable to the quality of an HDTV.

You do need to replace bulbs but they are not that pricey when you compare the cost of a projector and a replacement bulb VS a TV that will give you a 200+ inch HD image.
Thanks given by:
Dirk504 (02-19-2019), dr727 (02-16-2019), peep6543 (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 09:44 PM   #10
Expert Member

Jun 2017
Auburn, WA

Thanks! I'm planning to put about $200 in and get a proper screen, likely 100-120" via Elite Screens or Silver Ticket.

We close on 3/8 so then I will be able to get a better idea of space, ambient light, speaker layout etc. Obviously some of this talk is meant for a different thread but it's all part of the equation. I continue to look and I find myself coming back to the been tk800. I have not yet seen an awful review and many claim ambient-lit rooms are not an issue.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:27 AM   #11

Mar 2010
Maryland, USA

Since you moving in, I assume you will be there for awhile. For screens you may want to consider screen paint (I went with screen goo). I have a white screen, but with new pj I wish I had gone with gray (when I use calibration disk, I can't go below black). My old pj bulbs lasted only 2000 hours and cost about $250 (I use my pj as my TV) every year and half or two years. I just got a new pj after killing my first in 9 years, with my light controlled room I can use econo mode so bulbs are supposed to last 7500 hours and cost $90 (you can do some research some new pjs have bulbs that are still $250). I have blackout curtains for the sliding glass door. Also think about how you may want to paint your room (lots of great ideas from looking at pjs on this site and AVS). I went with black on the screen wall and 3 feet in on the walls and ceiling, grey the rest of the way of the ceiling and lower wall and wine color on upper half of wall. You may want to project onto a wall for couple of weeks before deciding on screen size (I found going to close to the ceiling looked bad). The advice you got earlier on behind the wall wiring is spot on. I talked with 4 installers, the most expensive of which told me he could put the power cable for LCD TV in the living room behind the wall (checked with my insurance company, that is not code and they would not replace home if it burned down). Good luck
Old 02-17-2019, 04:30 AM   #12
Expert Member

Mar 2013

You canít go wrong with a projector. Iím personally on my 3rd projector and they always get better. I started with an Epson 8500 (great starter project back then) then a Sony 40ES (wanted for my 3D films) and my current JVC 950. Bought because it was reduced in price and I wanted 4K, even if e-shift. Colours and picture quality is amazing on 100Ē+ screens. Sure your picture wonít match an OLED but it can get damn close enough for me and again THE SIZE is hard to ignore. Highly recommend (if you get a projector) to invest in some triple black velvet for your ceiling and sides to increase the contrast and obsorb the reflecting light off the screen

Paddington 2 UK UHD with bedroom light on

Lights off and same movie. Velvet just sucks up that light

So get what you can afford but read your reviews, or come ask our opinion
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 05:24 AM   #13
Expert Member

Jun 2017
Auburn, WA

Great input, thanks fellas!
Old 02-17-2019, 08:33 AM   #14

Mar 2010
Maryland, USA

Your welcome. Also, you might want to compare the size of projector screen you would put in vs TV size you can afford. I still leave up my old school comparison lol
https://www.blu-ray.com/community/ga...&folderid=5283
But I would suggest using this website to put in both pj and tv screen size you are considering, then enjoy your pj
http://www.displaywars.com/
Old 02-19-2019, 01:41 AM   #15
Expert Member

Jun 2017
Auburn, WA

I got to visit the house today for the inspection (everything went great) so I had a chance to look closer at the space. The room is 17 wide X 12 deep with 8 ft ceilings. See below for my extremely rough Paint photos to see where I plan to have the seating (brown), projector (black), media rack (red), screen (gray) and front stage (black). Rear stage, and possibly Atmos, still TBD. (thoughts???) Currently thinking rears on speaker stands around the bottom of window height.

We get the keys 3/8 so I still have some time to plan and acquire materials before I can start installation/construction.

Wife and myself are fond of gray tones so I'm planning to paint a darker gray and then add blackout curtains in addition to the pull-down fabric blinds already installed. The non-screen wall by the entrance will be shelving for physical media.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:06 AM   #16

Mar 2010
Maryland, USA

I don't see a picture/sketch in your post to which you referred. Maybe I am missing something.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:00 AM   #17
Expert Member

Jun 2017
Auburn, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluVinyl View Post
I don't see a picture/sketch in your post to which you referred. Maybe I am missing something.
Rats! I thought I added them correctly. I'll fix in the AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:55 PM   #18
Expert Member

Jun 2017
Auburn, WA

Included as attachments instead of inline. Same photos as referenced above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paint1.jpg (81.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190218_101956401.jpg (79.7 KB, 32 views)
Old 02-20-2019, 02:04 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by peep6543 View Post
Included as attachments instead of inline. Same photos as referenced above.
Check my Version 3.0 theatre for some gray colouring.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:21 AM   #20
Expert Member

Jun 2017
Auburn, WA

That looks excellent, very well done! If the ceiling is left white, a la the photo attached, do you anticipate a noticeable difference in luminance if I have decent light control?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2238.jpg (96.2 KB, 30 views)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors