Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
D-Day: Normandy 1944 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
8 hrs ago
Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95
9 hrs ago
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.96
19 hrs ago
Alastair Sim's School for Laughter: 4 Classic Comedies (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Ponyo (Blu-ray)
$21.49

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99
9 hrs ago
Bombshell (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Uncut Gems (Blu-ray)
$19.99

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Richard Jewell (Blu-ray)
$19.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 10-11-2011, 02:59 AM   #21
Power Member

Oct 2008
Default Sony Pictures deal

Over at the bits, in Barrie Maxwell's column, there's an interesting paragraph about Twilight Time's future plans for hi-def...note not only the title but the terms (if you didn't already know)...

Quote:
Twilight Time has Inferno (1953, Robert Ryan) in its plans for an eventual release. There's no date set as yet, however. More concrete Twilight Time news, however, comes in the form of the announcement that the specialty label has struck a deal with Sony Pictures Home Entertainment to license and release classic films from the Sony-owned Columbia Pictures library in high-definition Blu-ray editions. In line with Twilight Time's innovative limited series concept, just 3000 units of each title will be produced, aimed at the collector/classic film aficionado market, and available exclusively online through http://www.screenarchives.com, the largest U.S. independent distributor of specialty soundtracks. The November 8th Blu-ray debut of director Cy Enfield's and special effects master Ray Harryhausen's 1961 science fiction/fantasy classic, Mysterious Island, will be followed by a new release on the first Tuesday of each month. Some of the other titles planned for the near future (through the early part of 2012) are Picnic, Bell Book and Candle, Pal Joey, Bite the Bullet, Major Dundee, and The Big Heat. Meanwhile, in the label's regular series of Fox DVD releases on the second Tuesday of the month, My Cousin Rachel (1952, Olivia De Havilland) was released on September 13th and Stagecoach (1966, Bing Crosby) is planned for October 11th. In the pipeline also are The Left Hand of God (1955, Humphrey Bogart) and Rapture (1965, Dean Stockwell).
Getting ready to pay 35 bucks for The Big Heat...ouch.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:03 AM   #22
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Sherwood Forest

Nice, Mysterious Island for me and possibly a few others. Very happy with The Egyption release a few months back so I'm looking forward to this.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:12 AM   #23
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Sherwood Forest

Man, I'm excited to see Mysterious Island again.

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi1760166937/

This along with Jason and the Argonauts were some classic TV goodness for me as a kid in the late 1970's - great memories. Can't go wrong with Ray Harryhausen .
Old 10-11-2011, 03:14 AM   #24

Jul 2011
Louisiana

Can't wait for the preorder of Fright Night. I will not miss my chance on that movie. Will preorder on DAY 1!!
Old 10-11-2011, 03:19 AM   #25
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011

Mysterious Island (1961)
Fright Night (1985)
Picnic (1955)
Bell, Book and Candle (1958)
Pal Joey (1957)
Bite the Bullet (1975)
Major Dundee (1965)
The Big Heat (1953)

Notice how all of these are more than 35 years old, except for one. I hate to keep harping on it, but I still don't understand how Fright Night landed in this bizarro, "collector/classic film aficionado market" niche brand ridiculousness. All of the other announced titles, yes--but not Fright Night. Correction: I do understand how it happened, but I'm still dismayed.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:20 AM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Sherwood Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Femmeslover View Post
Can't wait for the preorder of Fright Night. I will not miss my chance on that movie. Will preorder on DAY 1!!
I forgot about this movie, remember seeing it back in the day - will most likely get this one as well.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:22 AM   #27

Jul 2011
Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
Mysterious Island (1961)
Fright Night (1985)
Picnic (1955)
Pal Joey (1957)
Bite the Bullet (1975)
Major Dundee (1965)
The Big Heat (1953)

Notice how all of these are more than 35 years old, except for one. I hate to keep harping on it, but I still don't understand how Fright Night landed in this bizarro, "collector/classic film aficionado market" niche brand ridiculousness. All of the other announced titles, yes--but not Fright Night. Correction: I do understand how it happened, but I'm still dismayed.
I agree Sony should have released it them selves since the remake came out.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:53 AM   #28

Dec 2009
With the Ale and Quail Club on a train to Palm Beach

Just ordered Mysterious Island, a childhood favorite movie since first seeing it at a kid's matinee on a military base in West Germany. On Saturdays, the base theater showed classic 1950s, 60s, and 70s monster movies all day long for army brats like me. This is where I first discovered the magic of Ray harryhausen.

If it weren't for bu-ray.com, I would have no idea about these kinds of limited releases by smaller more obscure companies like Twilight Time of big studio films. I would have a lot more money in my pocket, but missing that "kid in a candy store" happiness about picking up a childhood favorite.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #29
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

god I hope they get the Lady From Shanghai also.
just read the news about Big Heat and those other titles.
all I can say is WOW!!!
cannot wait. The "Columbia Classics" line are some of my most wanted blu-rays.
I really hope they dip into the 30's films also. I mean we have to get the classic Capra stuff out on blu like "It happened One Night" and Mr Smith Goes To Washington"
TT are you listening?

Last edited by Arkadin; 10-11-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #30

Jan 2007
Lexington, ky

I feel like Sony is stuck on Harryhausen and now Kim Novak.I would kill for Mr. Smith goes to Washington, Jimmy Stewart + Frank Capra! Whats the holdup. Anatomy of a murder seems to be another obvious release. The Man from Laramie seems like a possible Twilight Time release, Sony should release the rest themselves.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #31

May 2010

I think I'd be willing to go $35 on The Big Heat. Also I'd bite the bullet and buy In A Lonely Place, Gilda, and The Lady from Shanghai if they released them as well. Can't get enough Classic Film Noir, even at these prices.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:08 PM   #32
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2007
Way Out West
-
-
-

Too pricey for my taste. Cheap dvds will have to suffice. If somebody else happens to put them out at more reasonable prices down the line, that will work too.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #33
Special Member

Aug 2007
USA
-
-
-

Kinda disappointing that Sony isn't releasing Picnic and The Big Heat themselves. I was hoping that those two would get the deluxe treatment that they deserve.

Anyways, I'm just glad that those two films are getting the blu-ray treatment since they are two of my favorite films.

Quote:
Also I'd bite the bullet and buy In A Lonely Place, Gilda, and The Lady from Shanghai if they released them as well.
I'd love to have those films as well.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #34
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

so if "first nudie musical" is not a TT release why is listed in the OP again?
very confused.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #35

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
very confused.
I can't speak for the original poster, but I'm guessing that he included The First Nudie Musical because it's another title available from Screen Archives that doesn't appear to be available through normal distribution channels. You can also get it from the Kritzerland site, but I didn't see it at Amazon. It's $29.98 plus shipping.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:44 PM   #36
Special Member

Oct 2008
Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
very confused.
Sorry there was some confusion earlier in the thread about it being a TT release. I add it to clear up that confusion, but i can delete if you guys want.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #37
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

well personally I think it would make sense to delete it just because the thread is supposedly confined to TT releases.
it just adds unnecessary confusion imo.
I think that release has a separate thread anyway.
just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Arkadin; 10-13-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #38
Expert Member

Feb 2009
Serbia&Montenegro
Thumbs up

Jean Renoir's Swamp Water is announced for February 2012.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #39
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
Mysterious Island (1961)
Fright Night (1985)
Picnic (1955)
Pal Joey (1957)
Bite the Bullet (1975)
Major Dundee (1965)
The Big Heat (1953)

It might have been part of the negotiation that TT wanted a more popular mainstream catalog title as part of the deal. But yes, it doesn't fit in with the rest.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #40
Expert Member

Apr 2008
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan View Post
It might have been part of the negotiation that TT wanted a more popular mainstream catalog title as part of the deal. But yes, it doesn't fit in with the rest.
It definitely lead to some much needed publicity for them so it would make sense.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors