Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Danger: Diabolik (Blu-ray)
$24.96
2 hrs ago
The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

First Reformed (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.26

Avenging Angel (Blu-ray)
$26.53
2 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion > Car Audio and Video

Old 11-02-2013, 02:33 AM   #1

Aug 2013
Question Car MP3 Player/Device Suggestion

Other than a phone or an apple product, do any of you use a device to play your mp3 collection in your cars? If so which device and what do you recommend?

Mp3 players seem to be extinct nowadays.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:26 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011

I remember Pioneer and Sony having car decks with a internal HD but they are discontinued but i don't know other with some amount of space than the ipod classic with 160G
Old 11-02-2013, 03:27 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

If your head unit has usb input all you need is a flashdrive.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:28 AM   #4
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2009
Out there...past them trees...

I just did a quick search on a few sites, and the selection of MP3 devices is hugely disappointing. On principle, I avoid Apple products, but most of all the good, high-capacity players seem to be iPods.

My first ever MP3 player was a Creative Labs Zen, and I thought it was great. Unfortunately, they don't seem to make those anymore; you can find some used ones on the Amazon marketplace.

The last couple that I've had were Cowon brand players, which I think are really decent. I still have the D2 player, going on four years old or so; it's a small little thing that doesn't hold much memory, but it does play files at the highest bitrates, and it is capable of doing video. I also invested in a larger 200gb model (I think that was the X2 or something), but it recently puked out on me and I've been meaning to either get it fixed or replace it (I think its hard drive became corrupt). Cowon players aren't totally user-friendly, and building playlists is not really intuitive (I always had to do it using Winamp to arrange the lists and them save the lists as an external file on the player itself). Still, that would be the non-Apple player I recommend the best; once I figured out how to use it, it hasn't failed me yet. There is currently some kind of Z2 model out now, but the reviews for that one look a little marginal, so I don't know how good that player really is.

Otherwise, there's always the possibility of replacing your car stereo with one that accepts a card or thumbdrive. Been meaning to look into that myself.

EDIT:
I just looked even more into it, and I realize I got my facts mixed up. It's the X7 I have, and it has battery issues. I see other users have reported the same thing, so I probably wouldn't recommend that.

Since I've been in need of a better player, I went ahead and ordered the Z2, which actually has phenomenal reviews.

If all else fails though, the Cowon D2 or D20 seems to be going strong still.

Last edited by Al_The_Strange; 11-02-2013 at 04:20 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:36 AM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2012
Kansas City, MO

Sansa Clip Zip is one of the best portable media players you can buy for the price. Support for just about ever format there is including FLAC, expandable memory, and very good sound IMO. I use mine vis an Auxiliary input all time in my car. You can usually find them for around $30.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:12 AM   #6

Aug 2013

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I haven't tried to connect a hard drive to the car via a usb, & im not sure if the car will recognize it.

The cowon's probably the ideal choice for a reliable long lasting modern MP3 player.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziran View Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I haven't tried to connect a hard drive to the car via a usb, & im not sure if the car will recognize it.

The cowon's probably the ideal choice for a reliable long lasting modern MP3 player.
I tried and didn't (JVC)
Old 11-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #8

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almadacr View Post
I tried and didn't (JVC)
Technology..
Old 11-03-2013, 01:01 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

Usb flash drives need to be formatted FAT32, and some head units might limit size compatibility...so a 1TB external hard drive probably wont work. While a 8gb-32gb flash probably will.

Also file types might be limited...mp3, WMA, Flac, WAV etc
Old 11-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #10

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackinhedz View Post
Usb flash drives need to be formatted FAT32, and some head units might limit size compatibility...so a 1TB external hard drive probably wont work. While a 8gb-32gb flash probably will.

Also file types might be limited...mp3, WMA, Flac, WAV etc
I can't get my android phone to hook up to my car via the usb hub. But a simple toshiba usb stick, with multiple different files, works fine for music. I guess simplicity is the way to go
Old 11-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziran View Post
I can't get my android phone to hook up to my car via the usb hub.
What head unit do you have? Some units require a special cable for android connection...
Old 11-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #12

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackinhedz View Post
What head unit do you have? Some units require a special cable for android connection...
All i have is a usb connection, which is supposed to work for mp3 & photos
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion > Car Audio and Video