Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$41.99
19 hrs ago
The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49
7 hrs ago
The Dallas Connection (Blu-ray)
$11.99
19 hrs ago
Enemy Gold (Blu-ray)
$11.99
19 hrs ago
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Man from the Alamo / They Came to Cordura (Blu-ray)
$11.99
19 hrs ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Six Moral Tales (Blu-ray)
$72.99
16 hrs ago
Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Hollywood Story / New Orleans Uncensored (Blu-ray)
$11.99
19 hrs ago
Dance, Girl, Dance (Blu-ray)
$29.49
7 hrs ago
First Reformed (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs

Old 03-03-2016, 06:10 AM   #21
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Tucson, Az USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygunz View Post
The kuro still has the most beautiful image to date... 8gen plasma tech from pioneer is legendary. Still being used as the benchmark says something for sure... Just think what their tech would be as of today... No contest...
This is a perfect example of you can have a "superior" product and if you can't appeal to the masses (or enough to keep the production line moving) you too can become extinct. W/the way 1080P HD BD's caught on, or lack of I should say, I'm so surprised there's even a market for 4K. And to clarify, I understand that technology developes and this is the way things are. However, for me I just can't justify the extra $$$$ to make the jump to the next format. I do wish I could have had the pleasure of watching one of those Kuro's in my own home though.
Thanks given by:
tommygunz (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 06:37 AM   #22
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2007
Bronx, New York
Send a message via AIM to saprano

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygunz View Post
The kuro still has the most beautiful image to date... 8gen plasma tech from pioneer is legendary. Still being used as the benchmark says something for sure... Just think what their tech would be as of today... No contest...
Check out the pictures i posted here

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=274589

The kuro has really spoiled me where i'm in no rush to buy into this 4K hype.
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (03-04-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 07:02 AM   #23

Apr 2013
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
Check out the pictures i posted here

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=274589

The kuro has really spoiled me where i'm in no rush to buy into this 4K hype.
I owned the kuro 111. I almost got the 151 60in, but didn't get it because (during the time), I heard that a kuro 70in was in the works (until the depressing anouncement of closer). I ended up getting the zt65 a few yrs later (just to go larger). Now my movie magic is supplied by my epson 5030ub (zt 65 is for tv viewing only now). For those who have not witnessed the kuro line, I am truly sorry. Fow those who were very fortunate to have...
Old 03-03-2016, 12:50 PM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2007

LOL ^^^

Every calibrator Ive talked to has offered up that an OLED is the most natural image they have ever seen, and it is my experience as well. OLED has better MLL, and while native motion is better, with the proper trumotion applied my LG "looks" better than my VT50 did.

It's amusing Kuro guys still have this little man complex, reminds me of Charleston Heston and his comment about guns. I'll admit, they had it up until the 60 series plasmas, while the 50's were close. The 50's and 60's actually are a better overall displays, but people loved to hang their hat on mll when the Kuro had that going for it, now it doesn't even have that.

Got all these Best Buy viewing plasma lovers always trying to hate on OLED.

OLED:

Better contrast ratio
Great view angle
Good motion for 60hz and 24hz with right settings
Great AR filter (better than any plasma I had)
Can easily get way brighter than a plasma for a day mode
3D is the best ive seen and the blacks still stay zero black, unlike a plasma
Smart TV
Calibrates very well but comes stock with a mode that is highly accurate

Should I go on?

Signed: Ex Plasma Lover
Old 03-03-2016, 02:01 PM   #25
Special Member

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
Don't have one, eh? It's OK, they'll equal them one day.
Ehh, I have seen one, and I just don't see the appeal. I have seen other plasma HDTVs that I like better, and a ton of UHDTVs that I like even better.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:15 PM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
Sweden

From what I've read 2015 OLEDs (panasonics oled not so much though) had their shared problems like poor shadowdetail(clips too early), not perfect motion on all formats like 24/50/60hz, 720p and dvd don't look as good since it's a 4K screen (duh), don't calibrate as good as the top plasmas in uniformity for one and very slow for gaming.

My hopes is that this years OLED screens have remedied atleast 80-90% of those problems since I also think OLED is the future but I won't buy one until I know the problems is ironed out even with that amazing blacks.

I have a calibrated 65VT60 and don't like the clean LCD look but haven't seen a calibrated OLED for myself.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:36 PM   #27
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwaylite View Post
LOL ^^^

Every calibrator Ive talked to has offered up that an OLED is the most natural image they have ever seen, and it is my experience as well. OLED has better MLL, and while native motion is better, with the proper trumotion applied my LG "looks" better than my VT50 did.

It's amusing Kuro guys still have this little man complex, reminds me of Charleston Heston and his comment about guns. I'll admit, they had it up until the 60 series plasmas, while the 50's were close. The 50's and 60's actually are a better overall displays, but people loved to hang their hat on mll when the Kuro had that going for it, now it doesn't even have that.

Got all these Best Buy viewing plasma lovers always trying to hate on OLED.

OLED:

Better contrast ratio
Great view angle
Good motion for 60hz and 24hz with right settings
Great AR filter (better than any plasma I had)
Can easily get way brighter than a plasma for a day mode
3D is the best ive seen and the blacks still stay zero black, unlike a plasma
Smart TV
Calibrates very well but comes stock with a mode that is highly accurate

Should I go on?

Signed: Ex Plasma Lover
Its the cost factor, me Kuro cost 2,999 back in 2008/9, the OLED's despite being better picture quality do not offer the same cost to picture quality ratio that the Kuro's did. In time they will but I won't be paying anything over 2,999, until then I will stick with my Kuro.

Why won't I be paying anything over 2,999? Because in 2008/9 I paid just that amount for the best TV on the planet, 8 years later it is still regarded the same way, so I don't see why I should have to pay any more than that to get the same deal with Ultra HD.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:52 PM   #28
Special Member

Apr 2014
Charleston, SC

As someone who moved his 50" Kuro to the bedroom when I upgraded my main set to the 65" ZT60, I too am still wowed by the picture of this set. I like OLED and I'm pulling for it to overcome all the nit picky issues we videophiles want solved. As others have said, the price to value ratio at this point does not make me want to run out and replace either of my sets.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #29
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2007
Bronx, New York
Send a message via AIM to saprano

elwaylite, you will never again get a response from me since you continue to act like a child and get emotional over another viewpoint that doesn't align with yours. The are better ways to respond to something you don't agree with my friend.

(you keep going on about your VT50 compared to OLED. A VT50 is no kuro)

Last edited by saprano; 03-03-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:15 AM   #30

Jul 2011
Tampa FL area

LED is no good no matter if it's 4k or 12k.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:25 AM   #31
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2010
In my theatre room

Anyone who has owned or had the privelage of owning a good plasma like the Kuro or the later Panny's knows how much better they are compared to ANY LED tv 1080p or 4K. I have gone through many flat panels including a Samsung/Sharp LCD and 2 Panasonic Plasmas. My Panasonic ST had a very nice picture, I gave it away to my father in law when I purchased a cheap Epson 2030 for my dedicated room and regretted it everyday until a few weeks ago when I bought the Epson 5030ub. In my opinion the 5030ub is the best and most accurate picture I have owned. I also own a Vizeo LED in my living room which has deeper blacks than the ST but the ST had better shadow detail, and superior gamma and color accuracy. LED's are better for bright room, if I had to go back to a TV for film content nothing beats plasma.
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (03-04-2016), tommygunz (03-04-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 01:53 PM   #32
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Just wanted to give my .02 cents. Throughout the 2015 4K OLED series LG has addressed all of the issues with much success and for 2016 it seems like they fixed or very greatly minimized all of the known issues.

On our store demo G6 screen uniformity is very good and I would say as good as the mighty Kuro, rec. 709 color accuracy and saturation is also near perfect and the display does very well with P3 color hitting about 95% and very accurately. Fixed is the vignetting so that's now history. Motion resolution is improved and is as good as the best LCD/LED, but not as good as PDP.

Even input lag is faster this year at 33.7ms.

Near black is excellent. I was only able to test down to 2%, which can clearly be seen, but my store has too much ambient light to test 1%. I'll test 1% luminance in the next two weeks when I get our second allocation and have a G6 available for further testing.

Black is pure black and the panel easily reaches 600+ nits at peak luminance. 4K content HDR, with P3 color is truly stunning. And the PQ digital gamma renders detail in shadow that we have never seen before. Finally, the 10-bit panel yields 1024 steps of lumination, vs. 8-bit with 235 steps of tone so the G6 delivers color saturation and detail far superior to what we have experienced before and is easily seen when you see the G6 playing the same content across our entire TV Shootout wall.

Hope all who all who are close to our showroom will stop by our showroom to witness this TV for yourselves. I'd love for everyone to see a properly performing 2016 4K HDR OLED TV and tomorrow would be a great day to stop by as we are co-hosting with Technics the launch of their SL-1200GAE turntable and new 2-channel integrated amp with Technics new C700 studio speakers.

-Robert
Old 03-04-2016, 02:01 PM   #33
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

BTW, I am a big PDP fan and own the KRP-500Ms and Panasonic VX300 65" monitor that I will likely never replace until they die. So I understand and appreciate the value of PDP and in particular the accuracy of emissive displays.

But with all that said, the 2016 4K OLED TVs render better overall picture quality than any PDP.
Thanks given by:
dobyblue (03-07-2016), shield80 (01-16-2018)
Old 03-04-2016, 07:37 PM   #34

May 2009
Richmond, BC

While I love the Kuro, I am tempted by the quality of OLED; especially since the plasma is like an oven in the summertime.

Sadly, even though prices have dropped, to get a bigger size - say, 77" - will cost many times more than even when I paid full for the Pro-151FD.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:38 PM   #35
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2010
In my theatre room

OLED is clearly the best option now. I'm still not sold on 4K, and I doubt I will be. I have zero interest in seeing catalogue titles "remastered with HDR". Obviously newer films that are filmed with HDR is great but the higher resolution does not have me excited. A few reviews I have read claim you can see detail that you can't spot in the theatre or on the standard blu-Ray, I want to see what I saw in the theatre, nothing more nothing less.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:01 PM   #36
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

I will be looking at getting in the future a high-end 4K projector and a 4K OLED flat panel screen. I like the organic motion of the Pioneer plasma, but as OLED improves I will be looking at getting one. For 3-D fans, nothing beats the quality of a DLP projector.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:28 AM   #37

Jul 2011
Tampa FL area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn View Post
Just wanted to give my .02 cents. Throughout the 2015 4K OLED series LG has addressed all of the issues with much success and for 2016 it seems like they fixed or very greatly minimized all of the known issues.

On our store demo G6 screen uniformity is very good and I would say as good as the mighty Kuro, rec. 709 color accuracy and saturation is also near perfect and the display does very well with P3 color hitting about 95% and very accurately. Fixed is the vignetting so that's now history. Motion resolution is improved and is as good as the best LCD/LED, but not as good as PDP.

Even input lag is faster this year at 33.7ms.

Near black is excellent. I was only able to test down to 2%, which can clearly be seen, but my store has too much ambient light to test 1%. I'll test 1% luminance in the next two weeks when I get our second allocation and have a G6 available for further testing.

Black is pure black and the panel easily reaches 600+ nits at peak luminance. 4K content HDR, with P3 color is truly stunning. And the PQ digital gamma renders detail in shadow that we have never seen before. Finally, the 10-bit panel yields 1024 steps of lumination, vs. 8-bit with 235 steps of tone so the G6 delivers color saturation and detail far superior to what we have experienced before and is easily seen when you see the G6 playing the same content across our entire TV Shootout wall.

Hope all who all who are close to our showroom will stop by our showroom to witness this TV for yourselves. I'd love for everyone to see a properly performing 2016 4K HDR OLED TV and tomorrow would be a great day to stop by as we are co-hosting with Technics the launch of their SL-1200GAE turntable and new 2-channel integrated amp with Technics new C700 studio speakers.

-Robert
I guess if the day comes there is a working 60" OLED for around 4k i will jump into buying one.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:59 AM   #38

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman View Post
Same reasons folks love their OPPO players, or PS4, or BMWs or insert your die hard favorite brand here.

Perceived (real or otherwise) superiority over other brands.

Get some rave reviews from the highend community and you are off and running.

Search for groupthink and you now know how forums work.
You said it! I owned Pioneer Kuro 6010FD 60in(including Panasonic 65VT50) and Oppo BDP95, these are among the best products in their own category, in history of home theater.

LOVED these 2 combos. Sold them all, currently own Samsung 75HU8550 75in 4K TV and waiting for Oppo 4K player!
Old 03-05-2016, 10:27 AM   #39
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Dagobah

The only thing I dislike about my PDP-LX5090 is that it's only 50inch.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:17 AM   #40
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2012
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
Just having 4K is not enough though. The kuro still has better near black details, uniformity, motion, and color.
And UHD is pretty meaningless in most living rooms anyway, with the sizes of most TV sets.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs