Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Superman: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Unforgiven 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.54

Man of Steel 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Oceans: Our Blue Planet 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.97

Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 04-19-2016, 12:13 PM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Singapore
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBa View Post
I don't understand Chinese. I'm wondering if the image below shows the first Dolby Vision UHD BDs.

[IMG]http://img3.coocaa.com/goods/skyworth/newx/S9-I/S9-1.jpg[IMG]

This image is taken at the Skyworth S9-I OLED TV web page.
http://shop.skyworth.com/goods/get_1157.html?
http://shop.skyworth.com/goods/get_1156.html?

The Skyworth S9-I TV was launched recently in China:
. 55S9-I: Y17000 (i.e., $2500)
. 65S9-I: Y30000 (i.e., $4500)

They are compatible with Dolby Vision and HDR10.
https://translate.google.com/transla...183341080.html
No, I don't think so. Mad Max is already released released, and we know that's not in Dolby Vision. And I don't see Deadpool in the picture either, so I don't think that will be the first title.

Sent from my MI PAD 2 using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2016, 12:32 PM   #22
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Singapore
-
-

With that said, I highly doubt the rumoured PS4 NEO is going to include a UHD BD drive, let alone Dolby Vision.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:58 PM   #23
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BozQ View Post
With that said, I highly doubt the rumoured PS4 NEO is going to include a UHD BD drive, let alone Dolby Vision.

Unfortunately I think you are right. Sony is probably more interested in directing traffic to their new Ultra streaming service than they are about UHD BD in general.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:20 AM   #24

Jun 2011
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by BozQ View Post
No, I don't think so. Mad Max is already released released, and we know that's not in Dolby Vision. And I don't see Deadpool in the picture either, so I don't think that will be the first title.

I'm Chinese. That pic didn't mention any UHD BDs. The "Geek-Max" part can be translated as "With back up force from Tencent Video, you can watch NBA matches and Hollywood films, with our exclusive sections "Dolby Vision" and "4K section (or OLED?)" in lossless form."

It is mostly talking streaming then, since Tencent Video is an online streaming video platform.
Thanks given by:
BozQ (04-20-2016), DanBa (04-20-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 05:06 AM   #25

Dec 2011

April 19th, 2016 - Universal To Offer 4K Blu-ray Discs Beginning In The Summer

Quote:
All 4K Blu-ray titles will offer High Dynamic Range (HDR) in the HDR 10 format, and select titles will feature Dolby Vision, excluding IMAX titles, when players are available with Dolby Vision support, a spokesperson told TWICE. Many disc titles will also feature object-based surround sound.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:58 AM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Singapore
-
-

I just read the news too. Nice to see Universal is stepping up. Here's hoping for Oblivion in IMAX AR encoded in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos,

Old 04-20-2016, 08:10 AM   #27

Mar 2016

So for Dolby Vision on UHD BLURAY we only need an HDR10 TV?
Old 04-20-2016, 09:29 AM   #28
Banned

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebishow View Post
You need a Dolby vision player and screen
Old 04-20-2016, 02:10 PM   #29
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

It does say they'll release Dolby Vision discs when there's actual Dolby Vision player support, so that might be a while yet.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:42 PM   #30
Special Member

Feb 2007

while a Dolby Vision display represents an significantly improved (subjectively) picture quality displaying both standard definition (SD) and high definition (HD) content of lesser quality (broadcast - DVD - Blu-Ray & streaming), the Dolby Vision 'experience' is not 'complete or realized' until the 'complete chain of playback is in place (this means, that all 'three elements' are present, which is a 'certified and designated' display, 4K HDR Ultra HD Blu-ray player, and as importantly, a content title specifically 'color graded' in Dolby Vision)

it is important to realize that currently, only displays are available, that neither of the 'missing' elements of content and players will be available for some time (streaming channels the exception, although limited content)

point :: Dolby Vision 'requires' (content - player - display) to really 'see' what it is, although in the interim, limited content is available via various streaming channels, which while they are quite nice, are not of the quality of forthcoming 4K HDR Ultra HD Blu-ray player and content performance

regardless, as an current owner of several of the Vizio P-Series displays (both the previous 2014 models and the recently released 2016 models (Dolby Vision), in the interim, enjoyment of the display improvements and content improvements currently available, is simply outstanding, particularly 'improvements in color' on everything that i have thus far seen, without exception

so, an HDR 10 display, will not support Dolby Vision (there is a required hardware component) and an Dolby Vision display can support HDR 10 so long as the display manufacturer provides the necessary (software) support

an example :: while the current Vizio P-Series (2016) are Dolby Vision, and do not currently support HDR 10, via an forthcoming firmware update (less than two months now) they will concurrently be able to play non-HDR content, HDR 10 content, and Dolby Vision content, all of which are outstanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebishow View Post
Old 04-20-2016, 05:51 PM   #31

Mar 2016

the full Dolby Vision signal is compressed for distribution as a single layer non-backwards compatible stream, or a dual layer stream for uncompromised backward compatibility supporting today’s standard rec.709 TVs as well as the latest Dolby Vision and HDR-10 TVs.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:01 PM   #32
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Singapore
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibucha View Post
while a Dolby Vision display represents an significantly improved (subjectively) picture quality displaying both standard definition (SD) and high definition (HD) content of lesser quality (broadcast - DVD - Blu-Ray & streaming), the Dolby Vision 'experience' is not 'complete or realized' until the 'complete chain of playback is in place (this means, that all 'three elements' are present, which is a 'certified and designated' display, 4K HDR Ultra HD Blu-ray player, and as importantly, a content title specifically 'color graded' in Dolby Vision)

it is important to realize that currently, only displays are available, that neither of the 'missing' elements of content and players will be available for some time (streaming channels the exception, although limited content)

point :: Dolby Vision 'requires' (content - player - display) to really 'see' what it is, although in the interim, limited content is available via various streaming channels, which while they are quite nice, are not of the quality of forthcoming 4K HDR Ultra HD Blu-ray player and content performance

regardless, as an current owner of several of the Vizio P-Series displays (both the previous 2014 models and the recently released 2016 models (Dolby Vision), in the interim, enjoyment of the display improvements and content improvements currently available, is simply outstanding, particularly 'improvements in color' on everything that i have thus far seen, without exception

so, an HDR 10 display, will not support Dolby Vision (there is a required hardware component) and an Dolby Vision display can support HDR 10 so long as the display manufacturer provides the necessary (software) support

an example :: while the current Vizio P-Series (2016) are Dolby Vision, and do not currently support HDR 10, via an forthcoming firmware update (less than two months now) they will concurrently be able to play non-HDR content, HDR 10 content, and Dolby Vision content, all of which are outstanding
Yeah.
It's just like 3D. You need the TV, player and discs to play 3D.
Thanks given by:
Voltaire53 (06-25-2018)
Old 04-20-2016, 11:49 PM   #33
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Bakersfield, CA

Will the supposed DV player and TV's need to have the newest hdmi 2.1 version to support dynamic metadata?
There's been discussion over in the other 4K forum threads, but no timeframe for it rolling out.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:59 PM   #34

Dec 2011

No, in fact Dolby Vision is built on top of HDMI 1.4. HDMI 2.1 will be used by yet other types of HDR.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:24 AM   #35
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmarty View Post
No, in fact Dolby Vision is built on top of HDMI 1.4. HDMI 2.1 will be used by yet other types of HDR.
oh god, my head hurts...
Old 04-21-2016, 01:49 AM   #36
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Barrie, Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmarty View Post
Actually it looks like it's going to be HDMI 2.0b
Thanks given by:
gkolb (04-21-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 02:47 AM   #37
Special Member

Apr 2016
Aldome, Pluto II, Andromeda Galaxy

UHD BD is officially the Lord Supreme Cinephile Home Video Format.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:59 AM   #38

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDeM View Post
Actually it looks like it's going to be HDMI 2.0b
Yeah, I'm gonna need a source on that. There are multiple TVs out that can do Dolby Vision and none of them are HDMI 2.0b.

Plus, just search online for dolby vision hdmi 1.4 and you will see what I mean. They did not want to wait for hdmi 2.0 when developing the so called Dolby Vision "standard".
Old 04-21-2016, 09:50 AM   #39
Banned

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by legends of beyond View Post
UHD BD is officially the Lord Supreme Cinephile Home Video Format.
No that's still laserdisc
Thanks given by:
gkolb (04-22-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 02:23 PM   #40
Special Member

Nov 2006

So we need a special UHD player to play Dolby Vision titles, will we need a Dolby Vision equipped receiver to pass it or will any HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2 receiver do?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies