Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Deepwater Horizon 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96
1 hr ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Dolittle 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
20 hrs ago
The Hunt for Red October 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Queen & Slim 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Terminator: Dark Fate 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.26

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.63

Sonic the Hedgehog 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 01-19-2020, 12:07 PM   #41

Dec 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by guile View Post
Not to piss on this thread, I just never saw the allure of this one. Always thought it was immensely overrated...but obviously I'm in the minority on this one.
there are far better aviation themed movies , they just don't have the 80s energetic soundtrack and art style

- the great waldo pepper
- the final Countdown
- the blue max
- blue thunder
- the spirit of St. Louis
- deadly encounter
- Mercy Mission: the Rescue of Flight 771
Old 01-19-2020, 01:33 PM   #42

Sep 2009

In the rare case of this movie much prefer the 1.85:1 Open Matte transfer (have the AMZN De one), even the 2.00:1 laserdisc/dvd transfer felt cramped, 1.85:1 really helps especially with the aerial shots, shame this will be 2.35:1.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:34 PM   #43
Expert Member

Oct 2009
UK

So down for this! The remastered DCP looked great when I saw it in my local cinema last summer.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:22 PM   #44
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Not to piss on this thread, I just never saw the allure of this one. Always thought it was immensely overrated...but obviously I'm in the minority on this one.
Me too, I didn't think Top Gun was all that either. The reason why the movie was so popular was because of the Tom Cruise craze. During that time, all you ever heard and seen on all the cover of the tabloid magazines, news media and talk shows was Tom Cruise. He was extremely overexposed! If Tom Cruise wasn't the leading actor and a rising movie star, Top Gun wouldn't have been popular as it was. The fans blow these movies all out of proportion, and when you seen them, they don't be about nothing.

Last edited by slimdude; 01-19-2020 at 03:32 PM.
Thanks given by:
guile (01-20-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 03:38 PM   #45
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2010
In my theatre room

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
Me too, I didn't think Top Gun was all that either. The reason why the movie was so popular was because of the Tom Cruise craze. During that time, all you ever heard and seen on all the cover of the tabloid magazines, news media and talk shows was Tom Cruise. He was extremely overexposed! If Tom Cruise wasn't the leading actor and a rising movie star, Top Gun wouldn't have been popular as it was. The fans blow these movies all out of proportion, and when you seen them, they don't be about nothing.
Not really. Risky Business was his breakout role but Top Gun made him a star. It was popular because of his charisma and the style of Scott which felt new and fresh.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:47 PM   #46
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSS.T.G. View Post
Not really. Risky Business was his breakout role but Top Gun made him a star.
That's what I just said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSS.T.G. View Post
It was popular because of his charisma and the style of Scott which felt new and fresh.
It was still because of Tom Cruise, and Tony Scott direction was not extraordinary. I've seen much better aviation movies than Top Gun.

Last edited by slimdude; 01-19-2020 at 04:06 PM.
Thanks given by:
guile (01-20-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 04:03 PM   #47
Expert Member

Apr 2008
AZ

So Paramount isn't releasing this themselves? They just licensed it out to a 3rd party like twilight time correct?
Old 01-19-2020, 04:09 PM   #48
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyknoxsvill View Post
So Paramount isn't releasing this themselves? They just licensed it out to a 3rd party like twilight time correct?
It may be Paramount because they still own the rights to the movie.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:25 PM   #49
Power Member

Jun 2010
Northwest, Ohio

So it takes them to make Top Gun: Maverick in order to release the original in 4K? Such a perfect timing, they could release anytime but nooo its right before Maverick is released.. I know all movie studios do this, in order to promote both the original and the sequel. Kind of a cash grab if you ask me.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:40 PM   #50
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2014
Midwest

Not interested.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:47 PM   #51

Jul 2015
Minnesota

Ugh I literally just bought the blu of this :'(
Old 01-19-2020, 04:50 PM   #52

Dec 2019

So pumped for this one! It was on my wish list of movies to come out in 4k and I figured with the new movie coming it would be announced early 2020.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:30 PM   #53

Aug 2018
Las Vegas, NV

Quote:
Please just STFU and go into the cornfield! Are you really an adult?
Old 01-19-2020, 06:01 PM   #54
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubrickKurasawa View Post
Not interested.
Quote:
Man...where would this thread be without replies like this? It's so refreshing to have someone who doesn't like a specific movie come into a thread that's solely about that specific movie only to tell us that they didn't like it and all the reasons why.

You guys must be a TON of fun at parties.

"This dip sucks and here's all the reasons why. You guys might want to sit down for this."

Old 01-19-2020, 06:04 PM   #55
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
UK

^ To be fair, the film was critically panned here in the UK when it was originally released. I saw it opening week with a group of friends, and we spent the whole time ripping it apart, especially the volleyball scene. It provided endless jokes for weeks afterwards.

In hindsight though, it's a well-shot entertaining popcorn movie, but it set a pretty low standard for quality filmmaking back in 1986. Just my opinion of course.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:04 PM   #56
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

Quote:
TG was probably one of those movies that just came out at the perfect time; it was a trend setter for the era. The soundtrack was wildly popular. Guys loved to rock out to Danger Zone and girls loved Take My Breath Away. It was a different kind of movie for a lot of folks that touched a lot of bases. The high intensity action scenes were appealing to guys while girls enjoyed the romance and screen presence of a young Tom Cruise. The Maverick character was one that guys wanted to be and women wanted to be with. Also, aviation suddenly became one of the biggest fads with kids. If you could go back in time to that era, tons of folks started to wear bomber jackets and aviation shades. And a lot of kids were suddenly really interested in flying/aviation games and simulators. There are probably a whole lot of pilots today who were inspired as kids to become one because of this movie.

Last edited by meremortal; 01-19-2020 at 06:20 PM.
Thanks given by:
gkolb (01-19-2020), guile (01-20-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 06:12 PM   #57
Expert Member

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubrickKurasawa View Post
Not interested.
Less interested in your post...
Thanks given by:
IndyMLVC (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 06:33 PM   #58
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike962 View Post
saw it on standard 16:9 TV airing , no black bars on top and bottom and I think you could really see more detail on the picture which was really helpful in those aerial scenes

One of the main reasons this was shot Super35 was they had to use very small mounted cameras for the aerial shots and there were a lot of them. They couldn't use big, bulky Panavision cameras and lenses.

It was still framed for scope.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:43 PM   #59

Feb 2013

I hope this is getting a standard release from Paramount and not just from Cinemuseum. I had never heard of them before and looking on their website they are definitely priced like a limited run, collectors item.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:53 PM   #60
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Michigan, USA, 35yo

Quote:

Lol you just described 90% of movies. Remove the big star, nobody cares about the movie. Shocking relevation there lol how many of Arnold's movies are the same way?
Thanks given by:
Fat Phil (01-20-2020), Geoff D (01-20-2020), MarekM (01-20-2020), Matt89 (01-20-2020), Sky_Captain (01-20-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies