Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Star Trek Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
6 hrs ago
Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
5 hrs ago
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
23 hrs ago
Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
50 min ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

D-Day: Normandy 1944 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Dolittle 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Queen & Slim 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.08
17 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 01-20-2020, 01:37 AM   #21
Power Member

Jun 2014

yeah, I've been burned enough by series on BD switching back to DVD only. i'm genuinely STUNNED venture bros hasn't gone back to DVD only. Castle Rock is the wake-up call, here. studios won't stop downgrading when sales are downwards trending. TV on 4K won't have much studio support, because the public didn't give TV on BD much sales support.

Hell, even HBO with GoT is looking iffy. season 1, then 8...but how long has it been since season 1's release? season 2 looks less likely with every passing day. watch, we get an entire box set, instead, a few years down the road, as a middle finger to those of us who bought 1 and 8.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 05:14 AM   #22
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2017

Most of the stuff I'd want on UHD are shows on streaming platforms. Narcos season 1 & 2 (I don't need season 3 or Mexico), Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, and Too Old To Die Young.

I bought those Stranger Things VHS style UHD sets even though I'm not that into the show, and it seems like they passed on season 3? Is it really DVD only?
Old 01-20-2020, 06:03 AM   #23
Special Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSouL View Post
I bought those Stranger Things VHS style UHD sets even though I'm not that into the show, and it seems like they passed on season 3? Is it really DVD only?
It doesn't have any release yet. Season 3 will probably be released on UHD, Blu-ray, and DVD shortly before Season 4 is released on Netflix.
Thanks given by:
LoSouL (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 06:19 AM   #24

Mar 2014

As far as 2019 TV shows go, I'm hoping for releases of HBO's Watchmen, Stranger Things 3, and The Mandalorian Season 1 on 4K Blu-ray.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:10 AM   #25
Special Member

Oct 2018

I only have the first seasons of Game of Thrones and Stranger Things on 4K and tbh I don't plan to get anymore TV shows on either Blu-ray or 4K. I just find rewatching TV shows to be time consuming and I don't really have time to spare plus the price doesn't worth it.
The only exception is Buffy and that's only if they do it right, but that seems very unlikely at this point.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:39 AM   #26
Banned

Jun 2011
North Hollywood, CA

Chappelle’s Show would be nice.
Thanks given by:
Godzilla360 (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 12:08 PM   #27

Aug 2018
Las Vegas, NV

Firefly
Thanks given by:
Phillip c. Niethe (01-21-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 12:36 PM   #28
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jFug View Post
WHY SHOULDN'T THESE SHOWS BE ON 4K DISC?
Because no-one buys them on 4K disc. Brand new content has a better chance than most of being released, like Stranger Things, Westworld and the last season of GoT, but even then that's no guarantee: as mentioned above, it looks like Castle Rock is one and done on 4K disc which is a shame as it looks STUNNING in 4K. Any show has to be a bit of a phenom for the execs to even think about putting it onto 4K - hell, that we're still getting TV stuff on 1080p Blu and not having it downgraded to DVD counts as a victory these days.

Of course there's some shows I'd love to see on 4K disc, and some of them may be high profile enough that they've got a chance e.g. Band of Brothers (though HBO downright mangled the HD remaster of From the Earth to the Moon, I hope they'd treat a 4K rebuild of BoB with more reverence), but if TV on disc can barely sustain Blu-ray then what chance does 4K have? Pretty much everything that has been or is going to be mentioned in this thread is going to remain as wishlist material.
Thanks given by:
gkolb (01-20-2020), koover (01-20-2020), sonicyogurt (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 02:37 PM   #29
Power Member

Jun 2016
Chicago

I watched Castle Rock Season 1 on 4K UHD and can recommend it. It looks really great on UHD and its a good show. However, nothing announced for Season 2 which is a real bummer so things do not seem to be trending upwards when it comes to TV season releases on UHD.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:08 PM   #30

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Brand new content has a better chance than most of being released, like Stranger Things, Westworld and the last season of GoT, but even then that's no guarantee
Definitely. On the HBO tip, Chernobyl being skipped over stings, and I'm no longer as hopeful as I wish I were about Watchmen later this year. Warner also bypassed several series that actually aired in 4K/HDR, among them Doom Patrol, Titans, Young Justice Outsiders, and (as Gretiem mentioned) Swamp Thing, although maybe they want to keep those bells and whistles exclusive to their streaming services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin87 View Post
If you look at it, with the exception of Stranger Things, all TV on 4K has been released by/through WB.
Ultra Q would be another exception, although that obviously hasn't made its way to the U.S. (I'd buy the damned thing too if it weren't, y'know, $700.)

Last edited by sonicyogurt; 01-20-2020 at 03:32 PM.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 06:13 PM   #31
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2014

Everyone needs to bring their hopes way down unfortunately. The vast majority of the public is fine watching these shows in 4K via streaming subscriptions. Warner and Netflix are the only ones supporting TV on 4K disc and Warner has already given up on Castle Rock and Stranger Things continues to sit on the clearance shelves in Target. Even a full box set of Game of Thrones and Westworld 3 aren't sure things with Warners focus on getting people to subscribe to HBO Max.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (01-20-2020), HD Goofnut (01-20-2020), koover (01-20-2020), sonicyogurt (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 06:31 PM   #32
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

I reckon that we might well see a complete 4K GoT set at some point, but only once they're satisfied that they've sold enough of that fancy complete BD set. Given the ridiculous amount of times this series has already been re-released on Blu then they might as well chance their arm with one more. But yeah, even if it happens it's not a sign of a major change in how TV is represented in 4K, it's just another trip to the GoT well. (Not unlike Disnee releasing Star Wars 1-9 plus Rogue One on UHD, it's not rocket science that they'd seek to cash in on one of the biggest movie series of all time once the current crop of movies came to an end, and does nothing to convince me of an improvement in their attitude towards 4K catalogue releases, especially older live action material.)
Thanks given by:
sonicyogurt (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 06:31 PM   #33

May 2018
The Netherlands

At this point it already makes my day when a personal TV favorite gets a blu-ray release honestly. Even better when an entire show gets a blu-ray release. Hell, some shows don't even appear on dvd anymore. Think 13 Reasons Why, Unbelievable, How to Get Away With Murder, Superstore, and many more. I think I've bought every 4k release possible...just to support the idea, but I even doubt Westworld will have their future seasons in 4k.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:13 PM   #34

May 2018
508 Jon lane des Plaines illinois

I somehow want the loud house to be on blu Ray 4k
Old 01-20-2020, 08:30 PM   #35
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert

Would sure love The Mandalorian on UHD, but I'll take BD.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:29 PM   #36

Sep 2013

4K Blu-ray for most TV shows is a pipe-dream simply because most shows are not only finished in HD, but SDR/Rec. 709. Unless it's a show that would make it's money back, the investment to go in to re-grade every episode of a long-running show is probably astronomical and not worth it. Game Of Thrones is really the only show I can think of it happening for because HBO can also put it up on their new service.

Walking Dead is 10 seasons long with 139 episodes. It's also one of the last few shows to still shoot on film. Are they really going to go back to the 16mm negatives and scan them all over again at 4K? Could you imagine CBS remastering Star Trek AGAIN? I think most studios and networks probably agree that HD is good-enough for audiences. And you know what, it is. I have shown 4K HDR movies to people who just shrug and say they don't notice much of a difference. The enthusiasts will care obviously (which is why we're all on this board) but the general populace will go meh.

But since we're wishing for stuff in here:
The rest of Game Of Thrones
Westworld for as long as it runs
Chernobyl
Adventure Time
Cowboy Bebop
The Eric Andre Show (Just to see that first season which was shot in SD upscaled)
Space Dandy
Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex

That's probably enough
Old 01-20-2020, 09:41 PM   #37
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEArgumedo View Post
4K Blu-ray for most TV shows is a pipe-dream simply because most shows are not only finished in HD, but SDR/Rec. 709. Unless it's a show that would make it's money back, the investment to go in to re-grade every episode of a long-running show is probably astronomical and not worth it. Game Of Thrones is really the only show I can think of it happening for because HBO can also put it up on their new service.

Walking Dead is 10 seasons long with 139 episodes. It's also one of the last few shows to still shoot on film. Are they really going to go back to the 16mm negatives and scan them all over again at 4K? Could you imagine CBS remastering Star Trek AGAIN? I think most studios and networks probably agree that HD is good-enough for audiences. And you know what, it is. I have shown 4K HDR movies to people who just shrug and say they don't notice much of a difference. The enthusiasts will care obviously (which is why we're all on this board) but the general populace will go meh.

But since we're wishing for stuff in here:
The rest of Game Of Thrones
Westworld for as long as it runs
Chernobyl
Adventure Time
Cowboy Bebop
The Eric Andre Show (Just to see that first season which was shot in SD upscaled)
Space Dandy
Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex

That's probably enough
Most of the very latest shows are being finished in HDR to begin with, especially those that originate on streaming and they often have mandates for 4K finishing as well, VFX included. So for new content then availability of HDR and/or 4K masters to put onto disc isn't the problem.
Thanks given by:
MarekM (01-21-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 01:42 AM   #38

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Most of the very latest shows are being finished in HDR to begin with, especially those that originate on streaming and they often have mandates for 4K finishing as well, VFX included. So for new content then availability of HDR and/or 4K masters to put onto disc isn't the problem.
Streaming shows are in the minority. The majority of TV shows are being made for, well, TV networks. Netflix and Amazon are the only ones who mandate it. Everyone else's delivery specs are still HD. I can imagine some shows going the extra mile and finishing in HDR for a future streaming release, but "Most"? Nah. Maybe once HBO Max, Disney+ and Peacock are more established and if there's a demand, we'll see them mandate as well, but for at least another year, HD is the majority for television.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:54 AM   #39
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Would sure love The Mandalorian on UHD, but I'll take BD.
Id be willing to bet The Mandalorian gets a 4K UHD release before the end of the year. They may drop a Blu-ray release first around the time the SW 4K sets come out in March. Then, before season 2, drop a UHD release of season 1.
Thanks given by:
LoSouL (01-21-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 03:19 AM   #40

Feb 2011
Bay Area, California

How about Star Trek Discovery series. That should look good in 4k
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies