Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$89.99
10 hrs ago
1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99
10 hrs ago
The Hunt for Red October 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.26

Sonic the Hedgehog 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

The Dark Knight Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$52.99

Queen & Slim 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Terminator: Dark Fate 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Fifth Element 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.61

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.70

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 01-21-2020, 03:25 AM   #41
Special Member

Oct 2010

Back in the day, the plan at Sony was for The Shield to (probably) be the first TV show released on UHD-BD, but obviously the market for discs and players changed for the worse after the (VERY EXPENSIVE) 4K restoration and remastering began on that show and Sony then punted the US video rights for much of it's TV and film library to Mill Creek Entertainment, who likely won't ever release it on UHD-BD. Sony retains it internationally, so it's possible - but still unlikely - that the show gets a foreign market release that can be imported, likely from Japan. Sony had the series in 4K on their UHD streaming service, but that service was restricted to specific Sony sets and players and is no more.

Some Asian dramas (Korea, Japanese, Chinese, Taiwanese, etc.) from the past few years were shot and finished at 4K for broadcast or streaming in 4K, so there's a bit of content there, but most of it is not likely to ever be seen in 4K outside of the native markets and none of those markets really support Asian TV releases on BD, so no UHD-BD release is likely, as DVD and streaming reigns supreme there. However, Netflix is starting to use 4K masters with some of the Asian content it licenses for International use and works that it co-finances with Asian studios/networks.
Thanks given by:
sa5150 (01-23-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 03:36 AM   #42
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009

Breaking Bad
True Detective (season 1)
Chernobyl
Generation Kill
Band of Brothers
Better Call Saul
Hannibal
Fargo
The Shield

I would love to have all of those in 4K.
Thanks given by:
FilmFreakosaurus (01-21-2020), Rusty100 (01-21-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 05:28 AM   #43
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Add “The Pacific” if you want “Band of Brothers” in 4K.
Thanks given by:
FilmFreakosaurus (01-21-2020), Gacivory (01-21-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 04:15 PM   #44
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEArgumedo View Post
Streaming shows are in the minority. The majority of TV shows are being made for, well, TV networks. Netflix and Amazon are the only ones who mandate it. Everyone else's delivery specs are still HD. I can imagine some shows going the extra mile and finishing in HDR for a future streaming release, but "Most"? Nah. Maybe once HBO Max, Disney+ and Peacock are more established and if there's a demand, we'll see them mandate as well, but for at least another year, HD is the majority for television.
Which is why I said "especially on streaming" and that seems to be the content that people are jonesing for the most on UHD disc, not so much the latest season of Cop Drama #281 which is network pap and is finished accordingly. Hell, as mentioned upthread, something like Grey's Anatomy which the OP is pining for on UHD isn't even released on Blu-ray any more, never mind 4K! The lack of suitable assets so isn't the problem about getting more TV onto 4K: it's that the studios plain don't give a crap about releasing TV on high-quality disc any more. As Lex said above, look at Sony: they went to all that trouble to remaster The Shield and Breaking Bad in 4K but were they released on 4K disc? Nope. And after all that with The Shield they didn't even release it themselves on regular Blu-ray, it got palmed off to Mill Creek!
Old 01-21-2020, 06:41 PM   #45
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2014

At least BB can be seen in 4K on Netflix. They sold The Shield to Hulu and they still only stream their own original content in 4K. Apparently Seinfeld will be in 4K when it moves over to Netflix next year.

I doubt we will see many studios other then Sony and HBO going back to remaster anything in 4K.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:03 PM   #46

Dec 2013
-
-

What percentage of TV shows are shot in 4K to begin with? It feels like most Netflix stuff from the past 5 years or so is 4K, but what about major network stuff like ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox etc?

For example Mr. Robot, The Americans, and Mad Men, and Halt & Catch Fire are things I would personally love in the best possible quality, but I'm not even sure if any of those were shot in 4k.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:18 PM   #47
Special Member

Oct 2010

TV in the US and UK is mostly shot on the older HD cameras and their season lengths and shooting schedules require short post-production schedules for each episode, as several episodes are usually shot concurrently, while a season is airing. In Asia, where they have drama series shot and finished at 4K, the VFX and post-production work is minimal and the season lengths are often shorter than traditional 18-20 something seasons in US and UK shows, so they can deliver finished product at 4K quite easily.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:28 PM   #48

Jan 2011

Sense8 please.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:23 PM   #49

Sep 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicada88 View Post
What percentage of TV shows are shot in 4K to begin with? It feels like most Netflix stuff from the past 5 years or so is 4K, but what about major network stuff like ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox etc?
NBC's The Blacklist is shot in 4K. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bl..._and_technique
Old 01-21-2020, 08:35 PM   #50
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinZed View Post
And who produced it? Sony. They've been bigger than most on shooting and finishing their network TV product in 4K, or at least they were.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:58 AM   #51
Banned

Oct 2013
Chicago

Maybe I am just a moron for continuing to wish for it but I'd take a breaking bad 4k uhd set over any movie, there has to be many other breaking bad nerds who would pay a premium. Press a small amount, let us kill each other and price gouge over them on ebay, just give it to me.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (01-22-2020), reanimator (01-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 05:43 PM   #52
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
And who produced it? Sony. They've been bigger than most on shooting and finishing their network TV product in 4K, or at least they were.
That's only because they sold the streaming rights to Netflix at $2 million an episode before the show even started though. I don't think there are any other US network shows being mastered in 4K except maybe some other Sony shows like The Good Doctor and SWAT.

I do have a feeling that Batwoman is a possibility since it is the first CW DC show to debut after they launched DC Universe (with all original shows mastered in 4K) and because it is the first CW show going to HBO Max instead of Netflix.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (01-23-2020), jFug (01-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 06:05 PM   #53

Feb 2008

It's my understanding that Disney has remastered Lucasfilm's animated series Clone Wars in 4K for Disney+. I would gladly buy this series in 4K UHD Blu-Ray!!
Old 01-22-2020, 09:18 PM   #54

Mar 2017
Finland

For me biggest thing ever would be Stargate SG-1 remastered and released on bluray, and why not 4k

but mgm has not money and probably no intrest since star trek remaster and bluray release failed...
Old 01-22-2020, 10:06 PM   #55
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartzy View Post
For me biggest thing ever would be Stargate SG-1 remastered and released on bluray, and why not 4k

but mgm has not money and probably no intrest since star trek remaster and bluray release failed...
GateWorld had a recent article "Could Stargate SG-1 Get An HD Remaster?" showing how even using AI upscaling helped clean up even the old DVD SD content and make it look a bit better.

Fox and Warner were previously distributing MGM films/TV shows.

Fanfav Babylon 5 (Warner) is another sought after DVD to BD conversion that never happened. The WS PAL could be cleaned up a lot.

Either in 4K keep dreaming.
Thanks given by:
Schwartzy (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 01:05 AM   #56

Mar 2017
Finland

^^ yep, time will tell, if we ever get new proper stargate series ect, then we might also get remastered sg1.
X files got remaster so all hope is not lost...

Dvd's of sg1 are still very much watchable but first 2 seasons are rough and even better dvd release with better codec ect would help or upscaled bluray like andromeda got and its a improvement.

Last edited by Schwartzy; 01-24-2020 at 12:10 AM.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:30 AM   #57
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphdude View Post
It's my understanding that Disney has remastered Lucasfilm's animated series Clone Wars in 4K for Disney+. I would gladly buy this series in 4K UHD Blu-Ray!!
Quick upscale, quick HDR pass, job done
Old 01-23-2020, 01:31 AM   #58
Power Member

Sep 2014
Stockholm

Would love SG in HD but it's not gonna happen. Studios learned after TNG got released. That's why they pulled the plug on DS9 and other ones. People just don't want to pay the full retail price for those shows and releasing physical media isn't a charity.
I would settle for more recent shows being done on UHD like Castle Rock.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:32 AM   #59
Power Member

Dec 2011
Chicago IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInHD View Post
Back in the day, the plan at Sony was for The Shield to (probably) be the first TV show released on UHD-BD, but obviously the market for discs and players changed for the worse after the (VERY EXPENSIVE) 4K restoration and remastering began on that show and Sony then punted the US video rights for much of it's TV and film library to Mill Creek Entertainment, who likely won't ever release it on UHD-BD. Sony retains it internationally, so it's possible - but still unlikely - that the show gets a foreign market release that can be imported, likely from Japan. Sony had the series in 4K on their UHD streaming service, but that service was restricted to specific Sony sets and players and is no more.

Some Asian dramas (Korea, Japanese, Chinese, Taiwanese, etc.) from the past few years were shot and finished at 4K for broadcast or streaming in 4K, so there's a bit of content there, but most of it is not likely to ever be seen in 4K outside of the native markets and none of those markets really support Asian TV releases on BD, so no UHD-BD release is likely, as DVD and streaming reigns supreme there. However, Netflix is starting to use 4K masters with some of the Asian content it licenses for International use and works that it co-finances with Asian studios/networks.
Wow , I never knew the Shield was in 4K , Was anyone able to watch and how did it look compared to the blu-rays ?
Old 01-23-2020, 01:57 AM   #60
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2016
California

The Office!

Heck, I'd just love the whole thing on Blu-ray...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies