Best Anime Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
InuYasha: Set 3 (Blu-ray)
$21.19
5 hrs ago
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team - Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$33.99
13 hrs ago
Weathering with You 4K (Blu-ray)
$69.99

Pokémon: Mewtwo Strikes Back - Evolution (Blu-ray)
$15.00
1 day ago
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Set 6 - Golden Wind Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$42.30

Violet Evergarden: Eternity and the Auto Memory Doll (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Date A Live III: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$39.86
7 hrs ago
Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.98

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: Part 1 Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.99

Demon Lord, Retry!: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$39.86
3 hrs ago
Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory (Blu-ray)
$39.99
18 hrs ago
Dragon Ball Super: Part 10 (Blu-ray)
$19.37

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 10-08-2020, 05:47 AM   #161

Aug 2018
Canada, Ontario

Man....I want those movies on Bluray....but damn....I can't deal with the artwork.

I don't understand Viz on this decision. They clearly saw the negative feedback before the release....why not change the artwork?
Even on the twitter post....100% of the comments are all negative with many saying they won't buy this....

Last edited by Yuukaa_Sa; 10-08-2020 at 05:57 AM.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:27 AM   #162
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

They had comissioned that piece of artwork, they're not going to throw that away. They could have at least had alternate art on a slipcover though, would have allowed it to fit more easily with other releases.
Thanks given by:
sagadego (10-09-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 01:12 PM   #163
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritas View Post
They heard people didin't like the art work for the triple feature so they put it on the front back and even on the disc....

Unboxing Naruto Triple Feature Steelbook - YouTube

I'm surprised at this point that the damn thing did not come with a shirt just to complete the troll.
Hopefully the sales are abysmal and they never pull something like this again.
Thanks given by:
Footlong Shoe (10-08-2020), Yuukaa_Sa (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 10:38 PM   #164
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOnAnime View Post
They had comissioned that piece of artwork, they're not going to throw that away. They could have at least had alternate art on a slipcover though, would have allowed it to fit more easily with other releases.
Most sane businesses would or at least put out an alternative that isn't so universally despised. If a soda company spends money and the soda turns out to taste like crap most of the time you just don't put out the soda and write off the sunk cost of the try. You aren't supposed to double down on spending money because you already spent money on a failed idea.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:50 PM   #165

Nov 2018

Between this god-awful steelbook and the mystery aspect rario for the episodes, I just don't know what to think of Viz Media anymore. And it was already pretty bad when they went back to DVD volumes with Pokémon and dropped the ball several times with Sailor Moon.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:59 AM   #166
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlechateau View Post
Between this god-awful steelbook and the mystery aspect rario for the episodes, I just don't know what to think of Viz Media anymore. And it was already pretty bad when they went back to DVD volumes with Pokémon and dropped the ball several times with Sailor Moon.
The best is Viz saying nothing is wrong with frame skipping and incorrect colors on their InuYasha Blu-rays. Don't forget the recent Bleach Blu-rays being on par with DVD quality and not looking HD at all.
Thanks given by:
battlechateau (10-09-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 01:27 AM   #167
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuYashaCrusade View Post
The best is Viz saying nothing is wrong with frame skipping and incorrect colors on their InuYasha Blu-rays. Don't forget the recent Bleach Blu-rays being on par with DVD quality and not looking HD at all.
Which bleach sets look poor quality? I have only bought set 2 5 and 6 so far due to price and some sets being mostly filler. I actually wasnt planning to buy bleach at all but best buy got me to buy one set with a 12 dollar price point on set 2 and that gave me the itch to get the others i guess.
Old 10-09-2020, 01:51 AM   #168
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

It was the ones from like the Shusuke Amagai arc IIRC people were complaining about, but that seems to be an issue with the source. It seems the series was starting to be animated in HD, but SD masters were being sent to TV Tokyo. Like if you watch it on say CR which has it only up to 480P, it looks off. Earlier episodes looked better than this. HD content downscaled to SD, then upscaled back to HD isn't going to look that good.
https://i.imgur.com/MLzZgUf.png
https://i.imgur.com/WiQNrlx.png
https://i.imgur.com/ZnFASzz.png
Thanks given by:
InuYashaCrusade (10-09-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 01:53 AM   #169
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOnAnime View Post
It seems the series was starting to be animated in HD, but SD masters were being sent to TV Tokyo.
Can everyone stop saying "animated in HD"? Please? It's compositing. Since most animators still draw on paper (even with the webgen revolution ongoing), they have to be scanned and composited in digitally. So, it would be "composited in HD."
Old 10-09-2020, 02:17 AM   #170
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2013

Quote:
Which bleach sets look poor quality? I have only bought set 2 5 and 6 so far due to price and some sets being mostly filler. I actually wasnt planning to buy bleach at all but best buy got me to buy one set with a 12 dollar price point on set 2 and that gave me the itch to get the others i guess.
Set 7 onward. I watched the last disc of Set 8 last night and the quality was somewhat better than previous episodes. But still not crisp HD.
Old 10-09-2020, 02:42 AM   #171
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Alabama

Viz hasn't seen a cent from me in years outside of an occasional manga volume I can vouch hasn't been given the censor stick. They got really bad after merging with ShoPro and then got their asses together for awhile. Then this nonsense with shoddy home video releases. IDK when they'll completely recover if ever. Maybe I'm just being dramatic but I remember the days when flipped manga stopped, everything was uncut, etc.
Thanks given by:
SpazeBlue (10-09-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 03:24 AM   #172
Expert Member

Aug 2019
Utah

Quote:
They heard people didin't like the art work for the triple feature so they put it on the front back and even on the disc....

Unboxing Naruto Triple Feature Steelbook - YouTube

I'm surprised at this point that the damn thing did not come with a shirt just to complete the troll.
My Lord. That cover art is ridiculously ugly. Like, damn... I remember seeing the first time and laughing. If I commissioned someone and that was the end result - I'd request a refund and find someone else. Yuck...
Old 10-09-2020, 06:14 AM   #173

Dec 2017
Canada

I would have bought it if they didn't add his goofy face on the spine.
Thanks given by:
Yuukaa_Sa (10-09-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 06:52 AM   #174
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

Quote:
Most sane businesses would or at least put out an alternative that isn't so universally despised. If a soda company spends money and the soda turns out to taste like crap most of the time you just don't put out the soda and write off the sunk cost of the try. You aren't supposed to double down on spending money because you already spent money on a failed idea.
Not a great comparison as you're comparing a soda (something you taste) to a Blu-ray cover (something you look at). The thing that matters more is the Blu-ray disc itself, not the cover. The fact that it says "Naruto" and "Blu-ray" on it is going to matter more to the consumer than the ugly cover, and this is coming from someone who still doesn't like this cover (admittedly it doesn't bug me as much now) and often will double-dip or even triple-dip on many series because of the packaging or covers. Taking a look at Amazon, and it's selling rather well, both the SteelBook (#3,693 in Movies & TV #111 in Anime (Movies & TV)) and regular edition (#23,272 in Movies & TV #696 in Anime (Movies & TV)). There is a chance of course that if the cover was better, sales would be a bit better as the cover is the first thing you see on the shelf or online and it's turned many off, but it's not having a big enough impact as shown by how well it's currently doing. I am curious how this compares to the DVDs, though you'd want to hang onto the DVDs anyway (the singles) because this is missing the extra content from the special features discs (which were dropped for the DVD movie pack), as well as the booklets. A reminder for people from my missing extras thread...
Quote:
Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow: Making Movies Ninja Style - Behind the Scenes of the U.S. Recording, Japanese Cast Interviews, Message from the Original Author and Cast, Inside the Animation Studio, Naruto at New York Comic Con 2007, Original Japanese Movie Trailers

These extras and the theatrical program booklet were also not included in the regular editions of Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow, they were only in the Deluxe Edition SteelBook.

Legend of the Stone of Gelel: Creating the World of Naruto the Movie 2, Write and Adapt Like a Ninja, Words From Japan, Production Art Gallery, Original Storyboards, Original Japanese Movie Trailers, Naruto the Movie "Guardians of the Crescent Moon Kingdom" Trailer

Guardians of the Crescent Moon Kingdom: The Story of Naruto: Growing a Ninja, Teamwork: The Art of Group Recording, Shooting For the Moon: A Conversation with the Naruto Movie 3 Producers, Clean Ending, Original Japanese Movie Trailers, Production Art Gallery, Naruto the Movie 3 Trivia

Last edited by BigOnAnime; 10-09-2020 at 07:06 AM.
Thanks given by:
sagadego (10-09-2020), SpazeBlue (10-09-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 03:19 AM   #175

Feb 2013

Person I know got an email reply from a Viz rep named Carmen

Could just be empty words but would be nice if true

Quote:
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to write in with your question! Many apologies for our delayed response.

It's awesome to hear that you're a fan of Naruto! There is no cropping on our Naruto Blu-ray sets and fans will be able to see the video in its entirety.

At this time, we do not have any news regarding a release for a Naruto OVA collection. We're always looking to see what our fans want, so your message will definitely be taken into consideration!

If anything changes, our social media pages and release calendar will be the best place to find the news:

Facebook.com/OfficialVIZMedia/
Twitter.com/VIZMedia
VIZ.com/calendar/

If you have any additional questions, please don’t hesitate to write us again.

Take care,
Carmen @ VIZ Media
The Naruto OVA collection is referring to a separate suggestion of releasing those episodes in a standalone (new) Blu-ray collection.

Mission: Protect the Waterfall Village was only released individually on DVD as "Naruto: The Lost Story" and I doubt it will be randomly thrown in with one of the TV series sets.

There are also 3 other OVAs that have not been officially subtitled and dubbed by Viz:

Find the Four-Leaf Red Clover!

Finally a clash! Jonin vs. Genin!!

Naruto: The Cross Roads

Most (possibly all) of the English cast is still active and reprising their roles for Boruto: Naruto Next Generations so it wouldn't be all that difficult to schedule them into the same recording session. Depends if Viz thinks there's enough demand and willing to spend time/effort/money.
Thanks given by:
Footlong Shoe (10-12-2020), InuYashaCrusade (10-11-2020), SpazeBlue (10-12-2020), Tylerfan (10-11-2020), Yuukaa_Sa (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 12:40 PM   #176
Expert Member

Jan 2020
Carmel, IN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson_H View Post
There is no cropping on our Naruto Blu-ray sets and fans will be able to see the video in its entirety.
That’s great if it’s true, but that doesn’t necessarily answer the question of whether Naruto will be in the correct aspect ratio. To the uninitiated, a 16:9 could easily be confused for an uncropped picture.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:08 AM   #177

Jan 2019
United States

I'll definitely get this release. I have a lot of fond memories of Naruto growing up.
Thanks given by:
InuYashaCrusade (10-12-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 07:19 AM   #178
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2015

Took a look at Naruto movie 3 and it has a lot of banding and some other compression errors in darker scenes. Some of it might be inherent to the source but I think its mostly just a bad encode/ to much compression since they stuffed 3 movies on one disc. It doesnt help that alot of the big fight scenes are during the night or sun rise for this movie. It looks fine during the day time scenes but it felt like I was seeing near constant compression errors during the 2 biggest confrontations of the movie.
Thanks given by:
sagadego (10-22-2020), SpazeBlue (10-21-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 04:25 PM   #179

Oct 2020

Well, thank you for this topic. BTW I want to watch One Piece in blu-ray too, anyone got info?
Old 10-21-2020, 11:37 PM   #180

Oct 2020

Good news! The first 27 episodes are available to purchase digitally now, and watching the preview on iTunes, it appears to be 4:3. Viz's page for the Blu-ray has a list of stores where it's available.
Thanks given by:
Asuras (10-21-2020), Footlong Shoe (10-22-2020), GenPion (10-22-2020), InuYashaCrusade (10-22-2020), KidGucci (10-23-2020), SpazeBlue (10-22-2020), Yuukaa_Sa (10-22-2020), zenpai (10-22-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime