Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$31.50
57 min ago
The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Hellboy (Blu-ray)
$5.00
1 hr ago
Scorsese Shorts (Blu-ray)
$29.49
19 hrs ago
Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Danger: Diabolik (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Retail/Shopping

Old 01-23-2020, 08:30 PM   #1

Oct 2016
Default Sunrise Records to Acquire U.S. Entertainment Chain FYE

Sunrise Records to Acquire U.S. Entertainment Chain FYE

By Calum Slingerland
Published Jan 23, 2020

Following last year's acquisition and online retail relaunch of HMV in the U.K., Sunrise Records Canada owner Doug Putman has now announced a commitment to acquire U.S. entertainment retail giant FYE (For Your Entertainment).

The deal will see a subsidiary of Sunrise Records & Entertainment acquire over 200 of FYE's retail stores across the United States, in addition to online retail sites fye.com and secondspin.com.

The transaction with the chain's parent company, Trans World Entertainment Corporation, is expected to officially close in the first quarter of 2020.

"The addition of For Your Entertainment fits with what we are doing with HMV in the U.K. and Sunrise Records in Canada," Putman explained in a statement. "There is a space for recognized retail brands that can cater to a new audience of entertainment-hungry consumers."

Putman continued: "Getting the right mix of product across culture and entertainment and bringing retail theatre to these outlets that make them a destination has already proven a winning formula as we've turned around and grown Sunrise and HMV since we acquired them. We now intend to grow this chain in the U.S. and open more new stores starting this year. We are very excited about the opportunity to own such an amazing brand."

Following the closing of FYE, Trans World Entertainment will focus on wholly owned subsidiary etailz. Sunrise Records is the largest record store chain in Canada, and the largest independently owned record store chain in the world.

http://exclaim.ca/music/article/sunr...ment_chain_fye
Old 01-23-2020, 09:01 PM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2012

If this truly means that the US will see an expansion of FYE stores and isn't just a plan to redecorate existing locations then this could potentially be great news for physical media. Finally some real competition and a better shopping option than Best Buy. I used to enjoy shopping at FYE even if the stores were tiny and prices were close to MSRP.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:03 PM   #3

May 2010
Canada

I would be interested in seeing Sunrise Records increase it's amount of Stores
in Canada, right now they are extremely limited in Availability!
Old 01-23-2020, 09:12 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_Batty View Post
I would be interested in seeing Sunrise Records increase it's amount of Stores
in Canada, right now they are extremely limited in Availability!
What do you mean by this?

They currently have about 100-150 stores nationwide which is a lot for a Canadian retail chain.

As for in-store product, they have a wide selection in terms of blu-ray as well. The two locations where I live have tons of Arrow, Shout, Kino, plus studio releases. The only drawback is that their prices on certain things like Kino titles can be high.
Thanks given by:
Dex Robinson (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 09:18 PM   #5

Oct 2016

I think there is 3 Sunrise stores in Edmonton currently, I really only go to one location and its pretty decent. Prices are madness on some things and others it's lower than amazon. I tend to buy a good chunk of Shout\Scream titles there but avoid Arrow\MVD as they are almost always too high.

I still think this is good news for brick and mortar and physical media, Sunrise basically just re-purposed old HMV locations and for the most part kept the good stock selections. At least these stores just didn't all fold and go away forever
Old 01-23-2020, 09:27 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Winnipeg, Canada

I was at a Sunrise location in Winnipeg this morning. Their BD selection is great: Vinegar Syndrome, Scorpion, Arrow, Kino and Scream among others.

Unfortunately, as alluded to by another poster, their prices on these botique lables is often 25% or 30% greater than amazon prices.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:31 PM   #7

Oct 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post
I was at a Sunrise location in Winnipeg this morning. Their BD selection is great: Vinegar Syndrome, Scorpion, Arrow, Kino and Scream among others.

Unfortunately, as alluded to by another poster, their prices on these botique lables is often 25% or 30% greater than amazon prices.
Agreed, on the flip side I have seen some rare stuff that one could only get on ebay. Cat O Nine Tales LE Arrow, steelbooks, slips for several Scream\Arrow releases that are long gone, once shipping and conversation is calculated these really arent too bad but seems situational
Old 01-24-2020, 02:10 PM   #8
Special Member

Aug 2017

Hope they carry imports in the US too.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Retail/Shopping