Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$31.50
1 hr ago
After War Gundam X: Collection 2 (Blu-ray)
$49.99
22 hrs ago
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Good Place: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$50.31

The Twilight Zone: Season One (Blu-ray)
$37.99

A Discovery of Witches (Blu-ray)
$17.99
4 hrs ago
Avatar - The Last Airbender: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$79.99

The Return of Ultraman (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Doctor Who: The Complete Ninth Series (Blu-ray)
$37.77
7 hrs ago
Police Squad!: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$107.00

Attack on Titan: Season 3, Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 02-01-2020, 11:03 PM   #1
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2014
Default Foundation (Isaac Asimov) Apple TV+

foundation-isaac-asimov.jpg

Jared Harris - Hari Seldon
Lee Pace - Brother Day
Terrence Mann - Brother Dusk
Cassian Bilton - Brother Dawn
Laura Birn - Demerzel
Leah Harvey - Salvor
Lou Llobell - Gaal

Quote:
The premise of the stories is that, in the waning days of a future Galactic Empire, the mathematician Hari Seldon spends his life developing a theory of psychohistory, a new and effective mathematical sociology. Using statistical laws of mass action, it can predict the future of large populations. Seldon foresees the imminent fall of the Empire, which encompasses the entire Milky Way, and a dark age lasting 30,000 years before a second empire arises. Although the inertia of the Empire's fall is too great to stop, Seldon devises a plan by which "the onrushing mass of events must be deflected just a little" to eventually limit this interregnum to just one thousand years. To implement his plan, Seldon creates the Foundations – two groups of scientists and engineers settled at opposite ends of the galaxy – to preserve the spirit of science and civilization, and thus become the cornerstones of the new galactic empire.

A key feature of Seldon's theory, which has proved influential in real-world social science,is an uncertainty or incompleteness principle: if a population gains knowledge of its predicted behavior, its self-aware collective actions become unpredictable.
Thanks given by:
CANUCKS FAN (02-02-2020), gkolb (02-03-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 11:10 PM   #2
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2014

Apple’s ‘Foundation’ becomes biggest single project to ever shoot in Ireland

https://www.screendaily.com/news/app...146781.article
Old 02-02-2020, 07:29 PM   #3

May 2019
Northern Idaho

yikes, I don't do Apple anything. This would be the first thing to truly tempt me to the dark side. Hopefully it's of the quality of the Shannara series and I can continue to avoid ingestion into the fruit world. Bah, who am I kidding. I hope its awesome and I have to figure out how to get access.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:45 PM   #4

Dec 2019

With Lee Pace and Jarred Harris in the cast, I'm in
Old 02-03-2020, 01:23 AM   #5

May 2019
Northern Idaho

I've always wondered why the R. Daneel Olivah books aren't being done. The story lines are far more attuned to movies or series. Not that I'm complaining mind you. It's just going to be interesting how they deal with largely philosophical narrative vs a plot, especially the all over the map first novel.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:24 AM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010

Wow, I read the second one when I was a teenager. I think it was just a random book purchase. I saw it on a shelf, thought it looked interesting so bought it. I don't remember a lot about it. I remember I enjoyed it though, but a little weird at first because I wasn't used to reading that kind of style. At the time, I was reading a lot of horror.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:50 AM   #7

Dec 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney-2187 View Post
Attachment 235118

Jared Harris - Hari Seldon
Lee Pace - Brother Day
Terrence Mann - Brother Dusk
Cassian Bilton - Brother Dawn
Laura Birn - Demerzel
Leah Harvey - Salvor
Lou Llobell - Gaal
This list of characters leaves me very discouraged.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ies_characters

The track record for properly adapting Asimov to the screen is pretty dismal- Nightfall, The Bicentennial Man and I Robot all butchered the source material.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:33 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2013
Right Behind You

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcecil View Post
I've always wondered why the R. Daneel Olivah books aren't being done. The story lines are far more attuned to movies or series. Not that I'm complaining mind you. It's just going to be interesting how they deal with largely philosophical narrative vs a plot, especially the all over the map first novel.
Totally agree with you there. The original trilogy (Caves of Steel, Naked Sun, Robots of Dawn) would transition perfectly to screen with only some minor tweaks and little updates here and there. The societal structure and mystery plot is still great and relevant today.

Instead, we got a robot movie in name only with Will Smith being well... Will Smith, and the at least closer to the story but still deviates way too much Bicentennial Man.

Back to Foundation though, it will be really interesting to see if they can actually pull it off. It's been decades since I last read it but it would seem the structure would be very hard to adapt without mass info dumps. Also, theres the fact that a lot of drama isnt action per se.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:47 AM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2013
Right Behind You

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 View Post
This list of characters leaves me very discouraged.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ies_characters

The track record for properly adapting Asimov to the screen is pretty dismal- Nightfall, The Bicentennial Man and I Robot all butchered the source material.

Nightfall was doomed from the start because of the low budgets and not caring. I Robot I dont even know they bothered with Asimov since it was just a generic Will Smith movie. Bicentennial Man is probably most disappointing since it seemed to have the funding and the desire but then couldn't resist just randomly adding things for no reason.

Nightfall makes me think of Ugly Little Boy. Wonder why nobody has ever tried to adapt that, it would also work really well.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:11 PM   #10

Dec 2015
Default The best Asimov on screen is...

The “Robots” VHS game from 1988.

https://www.amazon.com/Isaac-Asimovs-Robots-Mystery-Game/dp/6301122992

The production values certainly have limitations but I feel it has the spirit better than anything else.

While I lost my original copy in a move I bought one off eBay and had it converted to DVD.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:27 AM   #11

May 2019
Northern Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticwaterfall View Post
Instead, we got a robot movie in name only with Will Smith being well... Will Smith, and the at least closer to the story but still deviates way too much Bicentennial Man.
ughh, I Robot was an complete piece of shite. I know the book was really a bunch of separate short stories. But, any one of them would have been preferable, as each dealt with a different social issue that is interestingly still news today, heck the bit with Dr. Calvin having issues with self image and pouring that into her work could have driven an entire movie that still work today. But no, lets make her a hot chick that can follow dorky around and witness his awesomeness. did I say ughhh?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows