Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Columbo: The Complete Series (DVD)
$28.99

Alfred Hitchcock: The Ultimate Collection (DVD)
$29.99

Parks and Recreation: The Complete Series (DVD)
$28.99

Monk: The Complete Series (DVD)
$28.99

The Great Escape (DVD)
$29.49

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (DVD)
$17.96

Little Women (DVD)
$17.95

Ray Donovan: Season Six (DVD)
$17.31

Doctor Who: The Matt Smith Collection (DVD)
$14.99

The Nanny: The Complete Series (DVD)
$62.88

Hallmark 2-Movie Collection (DVD)
$10.29

Chernobyl (DVD)
$20.28

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 01-16-2020, 12:38 AM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK
Canada VEI (Visual Entertainment) discussion thread

There may not be much point in starting a discussion thread for label VEI (Visual Entertainment), as they've been quiet these past few months, apart from announcing two or three titles from the MGM library (DVD releases of a three-TV films private detective series starring Robert Blake, and the films Futureworld and Mrs. Pollifax-Spy).

I've selected the Canadian flag icon for the thread, as I think VEI is a Canadian label.

A long while ago VEI posted a list of TV shows they were working on. I think Evening Shade was one of the last titles on that list they released. I was hoping they might have acquired some new TV shows from the CBS library, like The Love Boat, as it looks like CBS Home Entertainment have no plans to release further seasons (the fourth season they released back in October the year before last), and some short-lived series.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:35 AM   #2

Jul 2015
Florida

I purchased the VEI DVD release of "Matt Houston: The Complete Collection" a few years ago and am very happy with it. Paramount released the first season back in 2010 and never followed up with Seasons 2 and 3, presumably because of poor sales. Glad there are companies out there rescuing old shows like this from partial release hell.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:55 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PileOfFudge View Post
I purchased the VEI DVD release of "Matt Houston: The Complete Collection" a few years ago and am very happy with it. Paramount released the first season back in 2010 and never followed up with Seasons 2 and 3, presumably because of poor sales. Glad there are companies out there rescuing old shows like this from partial release hell.
I did get CBS Home Entertainment/Paramount's States DVD release of the first season of Matt Houston, but after reading and hearing about VEI's complete collection set not having uncut episodes (referring to the second and third seasons), I decided (for the time being) not to get VEI's release. But then again, I decided to get VEI's complete collection set of Barnaby Jones, even though I knew there were going to be syndicated versions of episodes (especially with the later seasons).
Old 01-23-2020, 09:40 PM   #4

Jul 2015
Florida

The second and third season episodes of the Matt Houston VEI release are all uncut syndication masters. I have all of the original ABC broadcasts of both the second and third seasons burned onto DVD-R's and they match up exactly with the VEI discs. Not sure why VEI would state them as being edited or cut for time, but they're definitely not.
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 11:45 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
The second and third season episodes of the Matt Houston VEI release are all uncut syndication masters. I have all of the original ABC broadcasts of both the second and third seasons burned onto DVD-R's and they match up exactly with the VEI discs. Not sure why VEI would state them as being edited or cut for time, but they're definitely not.
I think I read about the episodes being cut on Amazon.com (I haven't seen anything said by VEI saying they were).

Is the second season premiere presented as a feature-length episode in the Complete Collection set?
Old 01-25-2020, 05:19 PM   #6

Jul 2015
Florida

Yes, the Season 2 premier is the feature length version as originally broadcast and it's also the only episode after the first season that's been remastered.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:53 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
Yes, the Season 2 premier is the feature length version as originally broadcast and it's also the only episode after the first season that's been remastered.
Thanks, you've saved me asking about that (whether the second and third seasons are remastered). I couldn't remember if CBS Home Entertainment/Paramount's DVD release of the first season was remastered.

Were there originally episodic promos for each episode of Matt Houston?
Old 01-29-2020, 11:42 PM   #8

Jul 2015
Florida

Yes, the CBS/Paramount first season release is remastered and definitely looks above average in terms of the visual quality, especially considering it's almost 40 years old now. There were episodic promos for the original first season release; you had to select the option to view them at the start of each episode. Those were not ported over for the VEI release.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:17 AM   #9
Power Member

Dec 2011
Houston, Texas

I've only ever bought the uncensored DVD (and one Blu-ray) releases of Hell's Kitchen from VEI. Unfortunately they couldn't even see that through, as they gave up after Season 14, despite continuing to tout on their website that they are the "Official Source for Hell's Kitchen DVDs."
Old 01-30-2020, 11:04 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
Yes, the CBS/Paramount first season release is remastered and definitely looks above average in terms of the visual quality, especially considering it's almost 40 years old now. There were episodic promos for the original first season release; you had to select the option to view them at the start of each episode. Those were not ported over for the VEI release.
CBS/Paramount's States DVD release of Barnaby Jones' first season I think had episodic promos included, and was remastered. VEI's first season set in the Complete Collection box didn't have the episodic promos, but was remastered.

The two-part Cannon/Barnaby Jones crossover event was included in the Barnaby Jones: The Fourth Season DVD set (in the Barnaby Jones: The Complete Collection box), and was remastered. It appeared to be uncut as well. However, in the Cannon: The Complete Collection box, the Season Five DVD set didn't have both parts. Instead, the Cannon episode (which wasn't remastered) had an alternative ending where Frank Cannon and Barnaby Jones' case was sewn up by the end.

It seems to be normal for VEI's releases of CBS-owned TV shows not to have the episodic promos included as extras/bonus features.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:16 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Was hoping for VEI to release boxsets of other Quinn Martin shows on DVD (if there were existing masters and they're not lost), like Bert D'Angelo/Superstar (short-lived spin-off of The Streets of San Francisco) and The Runaways.

In addition, there was a series which aired on CBS late-nights called Night Heat, which I'd like to see get a physical media release.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:38 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Has there been just the one announcement by VEI on Facebook this week? Saw an announcement earlier this week for series Stargate: Atlantis (could see an MGM logo on the side spine on the artwork of the boxset.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:30 AM   #13

Feb 2020
Montana

I would love to see VEI to release the Invaders on Blu-ray if Paramount can remaster the show from the 35mm negatives.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:35 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

VEI posted on Facebook yesterday that they're releasing next week Return to Eden, the Australian three-part mini-series and subsequent one season-only TV series in one boxset. However, the listing on their website dosen't state whether they're including the alternative ending to the TV series.

I know they're inconsistent (like VEI), but I've been hoping UK label Mediumrare were going to follow up their DVD release of the three-part mini-series with the subsequent TV series.
Thanks given by:
Katatonia (02-20-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies