Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Godzilla vs. Kong 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Flight of the Butterflies 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.30

Pina 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Croods: A New Age 3D (Blu-ray)
$30.49

Trolls World Tour 3D (Blu-ray)
$23.49

The Smurfs 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.69

Rampage 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.99

Priest 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.09

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.31

The Smurfs 2 in 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 07-17-2021, 11:39 PM   #3941

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLMN View Post
If conventional projectors are a nuance go for a ultra short throw (UST) projector with 4k and 1080p 3D, donít cave in and go 2D only.
I was seriously considering 4K 1080p 3D but the price is out of my price range to buy.
Thanks given by:
BLMN (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 12:03 AM   #3942
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Round Rock, TX

Quote:
If conventional projectors are a nuance go for a ultra short throw (UST) projector with 4k and 1080p 3D, donít cave in and go 2D only.
Which manufacturers sell these types of projectors? I have been looking on projectorpeople.com and can't seem to find any.
Old 07-18-2021, 03:30 AM   #3943

Sep 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossTweed View Post
I was seriously considering 4K 1080p 3D but the price is out of my price range to buy.
I settled on the short throw Optima GT1080HDR. Resolution is 1080P but it does accept 4K and outputs HDR. Decent compromise considering the relatively affordable price point vs full 4K projectors.
Old 07-18-2021, 03:47 PM   #3944
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010
Chicago, IL

Quote:
Short throw is indeed an alternative. I must do some home work on that. What type of glasses are used on UST?
Old 07-18-2021, 10:34 PM   #3945
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Southern NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post
Which manufacturers sell these types of projectors? I have been looking on projectorpeople.com and can't seem to find any.
Vava, Optoma and Sony. Sony is the most expensive one at 15k. I believe Xiaomi has one model as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbug View Post
Short throw is indeed an alternative. I must do some home work on that. What type of glasses are used on UST?
some are DLP Active, Sony if im not mistaken is bluetooth active.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:26 PM   #3946
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by meremortal View Post
It's probably been mentioned a million times, but is there a way 3D could be integrated into the UHD format by simply adding firmware updates to existing players or making all new players with 3D as a built-in option? Obviously people would need new tvs as well. It still amazes me that dvds use the same MPEG-2 and DD audio codecs from the 1990s instead of more efficient modern ones - is it the same situation there where nothing can really be done about it?
The SOCs can barely handle 4K video as it is. You'd have to up the processing power and bandwidth for a 4K 3D signal, just as they did with digital cinema systems. 3D 1080P works because it's already built into the hardware and software. Codec advances will help make 3D feasible again, on the data side, but the visual hardware limitations have to be overcome and there's no work being done on that for the most part.
Thanks given by:
meremortal (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 08:29 PM   #3947

May 2021
USA

Disappointing that 4K 3D isn't available for consumers when you have IMAX movies in 3D and 4K.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:50 PM   #3948
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Know we are not talking about the anaglythic discs that are legit and available to everyone but a friend in my grief chat room got so interested he asked me to help him and he ordered Journey to the center of the earth and a national geographic documentary. Advised him about the limitations of this format but think he will still be floored by this first experience.

He is disappointed about the current moratorium on 3D monitors but told him if he wants to pursue it further there are sites still selling unopened boxes and refurbished sets.
Old 07-28-2021, 05:39 PM   #3949
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
He is disappointed about the current moratorium on 3D monitors but told him if he wants to pursue it further there are sites still selling unopened boxes and refurbished sets.
The biggest bit of advice I can give someone going that route is to make sure if you are going active, you get new glasses, even if you are using an old set.

I have a 2015 Samsung that to be honest, I barely used for 3D because the effect just wasn't that good. I tried all kinds of glasses when they came out (even expensive ones) and they really weren't great at all.

Then, last year when F13th Part 3 came out, I decided to buy some new glasses (I got Sintron brand from Amazon) and wow, what a difference they made!

I compared it to even premium glasses I bought five years ago, and it quite literally was night and day - comparing the old and new glasses back to back, the image was so much brighter and sharper using the new glasses vs. the old - I couldn't stop switching back and forth when I was testing them, because I just couldn't believe the difference. And we get none of the eye strain we used to get, when we had to split 3D movies up into 3 or 4 segments just to watch them.

Now that we have good, new glasses - we watch 3D all the time.
Thanks given by:
Joe D. (07-28-2021), LordoftheRings (07-28-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 07:07 PM   #3950
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫
Canada Canadian dollars (US dollars is less)

[[[▪︎]]] https://www.amazon.ca/Active-Shutter.../dp/B07BW36TXQ

[[[▪︎]]] https://www.amazon.ca/Compatible-TDG.../dp/B015PCWMZ8

Thanks given by:
BillieCassin (07-28-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 07:24 PM   #3951
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
The ones I got were more wrap-around style (I like those because they block the sideways light from glaring inside the glasses), but yep, that's the brand.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:15 PM   #3952
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieCassin View Post
The biggest bit of advice I can give someone going that route is to make sure if you are going active, you get new glasses, even if you are using an old set.

I have a 2015 Samsung that to be honest, I barely used for 3D because the effect just wasn't that good. I tried all kinds of glasses when they came out (even expensive ones) and they really weren't great at all.

Then, last year when F13th Part 3 came out, I decided to buy some new glasses (I got Sintron brand from Amazon) and wow, what a difference they made!

I compared it to even premium glasses I bought five years ago, and it quite literally was night and day - comparing the old and new glasses back to back, the image was so much brighter and sharper using the new glasses vs. the old - I couldn't stop switching back and forth when I was testing them, because I just couldn't believe the difference. And we get none of the eye strain we used to get, when we had to split 3D movies up into 3 or 4 segments just to watch them.

Now that we have good, new glasses - we watch 3D all the time.
Hi Billie

I have a 2015 active Sony and found those rechargeable pairs from Asia perform much better than the two which came with the set. Have six of them
Thanks given by:
BillieCassin (07-29-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 08:40 PM   #3953
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieCassin View Post
The ones I got were more wrap-around style (I like those because they block the sideways light from glaring inside the glasses), but yep, that's the brand.
I posted both types because of people who wear prescription glasses, like I.
It is imperative when watching 3D Blus to shut all the lights in the room.

Last, if 3D was truly dead this thread wouldn't exist and we wouldn't share.
Shure, it's not as popular as 4K HDR ... It'll be back ... No time to die
Thanks given by:
Old 07-28-2021, 08:42 PM   #3954
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Round Rock, TX

Do all of these after market active shutter glasses still sync up using the IR transmitters?
Old 07-28-2021, 09:14 PM   #3955
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Southern NH

Quote:
Do all of these after market active shutter glasses still sync up using the IR transmitters?
Some brands offer both IR and Bluetooth options.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:51 PM   #3956
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Hi ck,

Mine do too.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:27 PM   #3957

Nov 2019

Active 3D Glasses – A little history (and a little soap-boxing):

Pre-2012 3D TVs used infrared light (IR) to synch the 3D glasses and were often proprietary to a given brand (ie; Sony glasses wouldn't work with Samsung 3D TVs and Samsung glasses wouldn't work with Panasonic 3D TVs and vice versa). IR glasses are line-of-sight: if you turn your head or leave the room, the sync signal will be lost.

In a rare coming together for the common good of 3D, the 3D TV manufacturers came up with the universal active 3D RF (radio frequency) standard for 2012 thru 2016 active 3D TVs (the radio frequency used is that for BlueTooth). This allowed any manufacturer's active 3D RF glasses to work with other brands as well as opening the door to much cheaper universal active 3D RF glasses by non-TV brands such as these from Sintron.

(Soap Box: The overpricing of active 3D glasses was another greedy nail, along with the 50% or more higher cost of 3D Blu-rays over 2D and the offering of 3D technology in only high-end models, that sealed the coffin for 3D TVs. Just think where 3D TVs would be today if all new TVs, including the low-end models, had passive 3D built-in, active glasses cost $15-$20 each instead of $75-$100 (passive glasses cost only a few dollars), and 3D blu-rays were only a few dollars more than the 2D version!)

Synch for RF glasses is not affected by head movement and mine stay synched even when I walk into the kitchen to grab a snack.

You cannot use IR glasses with 2012 and later active 3D TVs and you cannot use RF glasses with pre-2012 active 3D TVs. Active 3D glasses will not work with passive 3D TVs and passive glasses (like Real3D theater glasses) will not work with active 3D TVs. IMAX 3D glasses use circular polarization instead of linear so they will not work with passive 3D TVs, which is too bad since they have larger lenses.

Some glasses manufacturers sell both types of active 3D glasses – you just have to order the correct type for your active 3D TV.

(Note: I don't own a 3D projector so the following info may not be accurate!)

3D projectors that are built upon DLP panels typically require active 3D glasses that use DLP-link for synchronization. 3D projectors that use LCD panels typically use IR or RF glasses depending on their date of manufacture or company philosophy.
Thanks given by:
BillieCassin (07-29-2021), RickStar (07-29-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 11:58 PM   #3958

Nov 2019

RE: Sintron Active Glasses

Note that there are two styles of Sintron glasses: the rechargeable ST07-BT which has wrap-around ear pieces and the cheaper, flimsier non-rechargeable G15-BT that takes a CR 2025 button battery.

The G15-BT looks very similar to the Samsung SSG-4100GB and SSG-5100GB, whose ear pieces happen to be held on with screws instead of snapping in, and they also take a CR 2025 battery (the later SSG-5150GB version takes two harder-to-find CR 1620 batteries).

The SSG-x100GB glasses have similar cons as the G15-BT but the biggest flaw is the battery cover, which slides down to lock, and pops up at random times to disconnect the battery and the glasses stop working until you press the cover closed and resync to the TV. I have 5 pair of the 4100GBs and all 5 have this frustrating problem. I have tried taping the cover closed and that works for a while but the tape keeps failing because it doesn’t stick too well to the plastic. From the reviews that I read, the G15-BT has the same problem so buyer beware.
Thanks given by:
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Tags
3d t.v, 3d tv production halted, 4k3d, broadcast, external processor, ode, poping, resurrection