Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$69.99

007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Hitchcock: British International Pictures Collection (Blu-ray)
$33.49

Spider-Man: Far from Home / Spider-Man: Homecoming / Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse / Venom (Blu-ray)
$56.99

Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Haunting of Hill House (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Hammer Horror 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

NOS4A2: Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99
4 hrs ago
Frankenstein: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Annabelle Comes Home (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 12-05-2009, 01:24 AM   #21
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamebred View Post
I didn't see an official Dali thread so I was just wondering if anyone here has had the opportunity to audition/own any of the speakers in the Ikon series? What were your thoughts as to how they compare to other speakers in Dali's line-up? While I understand the cabinets aren't wood veneer like thier higher end series, I only care about the tonal characteristics. I was eyeballing the Ikon 6 in particular but am unable to find a dealer around. Only Dalis I have ever heard were a set of bookshelfs that cost twice as much as the Ikon 6, the Helicons. I absolutely loved this speakers as they had such detail with a warmth to them, nothing about them was in your face. I would love to be able to afford these but that's not going to happen any time soon.

One more question...Any thoughts on how the Dalis might sound with an Elite receiver? Couldn't find any info about this either. Seems as though most folks buying these speakers are pairing them with Arcam, Denon, Onkyo and Rotel.

Thanks in advance.
You didn't look hard enough. We have a Dali Speakers Owners thread. You should always check the Master List of Speaker Owners Thread. In addition to Master List for speakers, we have Master Lists for subwoofers and receivers. I will merge this thread into the Dali onwers thread.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:06 AM   #22
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

the dali owners thread is probably buried somewhere because there are so few owners.

Big Al, Please go listen to the dali's. I want to know how they compare to the Staffs. That sucks the center channel is only available in 4 ohms.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:23 AM   #23
Contributor

Apr 2009
Corner Totem Rd. and Sugden Ave., Arcam Shire

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
the dali owners thread is probably buried somewhere because there are so few owners.

Big Al, Please go listen to the dali's. I want to know how they compare to the Staffs. That sucks the center channel is only available in 4 ohms.
Actually if i find an hour I pass by the store tomorow so I'll give my appreciation of em not sur if it's going to be the 6 or the 8.

Ya for the 4 ohms center I found it odd since the Mite bookshelves and Staffs are all 8 ohms.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:32 AM   #24
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

well I would still like to know what the 6's sound like too. Hopefully they have both for you and you can tell me and gamebred what you think.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:53 AM   #25
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:
well I would still like to know what the 6's sound like too. Hopefully they have both for you and you can tell me and gamebred what you think.
Well I'm thiking they will be good in the low frequency department almost as good as the 8 judging from the frequency respose but again may not reproduce the same way and also the fact tha it has only one X-over point without midrange i'm thinking both woofers are driving the same frequencies and X-over for the tweeter is slightly lower on the 6 than the 8, 3k compare to 3.5k.

I already think that I will prefer the 8 over the 6 but hey I'll have to try to find out.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:47 AM   #26

Oct 2009
couple hours from the moonshine capitol of the world

Thanks BigDaddy, I'll do that from now on.

@BigAl, I'd like to give the Arros a listen if I could find a dealer a bit closer. The Staffs, I have heard to be a bit colored and "boomy" compared to the Arros. I'd like to hear both for myself before putting either of them in my consideration list. I have heard the Rainmakers but wasn't overly impressed. Not sure if they lacked bass but they were definately brighter than I expected them to be cranked up. They had great detail, don't get me wrong but they seemed imbalanced in some way.

@Callas, I will be using these for two channel listening more so than multichannel or HT. They will be setup in our den where the Kuro resides but to be honest, I've been listening to CDs and MP3s in there more during the evenings and all day on Saturdays. It's usually after dark that we'll pop in a bd and enjoy the awesome explosions or gun fights. I would say 70% 2 channel to 30% HT/gaming. The Klipsch's do a fine job with gaming and certain films but when I play music on them, I get annoyed by the shrilling highs of those loaded horns, sometimes to the point where they are unbearable. I'll keep them around for a dedicated gameroom in the future as I doubt I could give them away.

I do like a speaker that can go high but not make my eardrums bleed either. I do like the ribbon tweeters that some of the upper tier Dalis use. Being as the Helicons were the only speaker in the Dali line that I have heard, yeah it kind of spoiled me. I felt the same way as when I heard some Paradigm Signature series for the first time. They were setup in an awesome HT showroom with a 105" FP. Those spoiled me for the home theater experience.

I do alot of window shopping. Those dealers like it, I know they do. I mean what else are they going to do all day? It's not exactly like there's a huge market for quality speakers around here. When they see me pull up in the parking lot, they all start running around like they are too busy to help me. One of these days they are going to be suprised when I whip out a big 'ol money knot like a true RockinRolla! haha.... actually more like a damn credit card like every other Joe Blow. lol

I have WAF to consider as well. She loved the Totem Rainmakers (I didn't)and she liked the SongTowers by Salk (probably due to the custom finishes he offers). I'm not sure she's digging these Ikons. She said they're okay but she liked the wood finish of the others. I've already started laying the foundation down for the wife as far as budget is concerned. First off I told her that the sub needed replacing so I could move the one in the den to our bedroom so we could have surround sound in here during these cold winter nights, whereas the den stays cool. She approved the SVS PC12 for the den. That will be sometime late January, after the damage from x-mas subsides. Then by Spring, I'll be done broke her down on the floorstanders (whichever I decide by then). I'm always looking ahead. I like sleeping in a nice warm bed instead of outside with the bulldogs.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #27
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

gamebred,

I can tell you right now that the concept 8 sound like they don't even need a sub with them. The way they produce lows so tightly and punchy you will be in for a treat if you go that way. You will be imagining that the low frequency response would be lower then it states. I was completely shocked by how deep it sounded. And accurately too. Dali sends the dealers a demo cd, listen to that one, there are deeeeep lows. I would say if this is mostly for music, you wont need a sub in 2-channel. And I would think in HT you could get buy for a few months. But buy them in the order you want to.

How big is your room, the room I was in was about 14Lx16W and the Ikons sounded great they didn't over power the room or anything. I think because of how balanced they were.

Do you have a dealer in your area or are you having to drive out of town?
Old 12-05-2009, 05:25 PM   #28

Oct 2009

The room they'll be going in is 10X11 with one side that opens up to the dining area. This is why my initial thought was a good set of bookshelves but after hearing the RS 6's in a similiar sized area with two channel music, I figured a good set of floorstanders would be in order.

Money is an issue at the moment, that's why I'm building it a few pieces at a time. After spending all that money on the 500M and Elite receiver, I do want to build a nice 5.1 system to compliment them eventually. The SVS sub is first on the "to do" list because it's obviously the cheapest addition I can make to improve my current setup. I'm in no hurry to buy speakers because I want to make sure I get what I want...not something that sounds "okay" just because I could afford them. I've actually been auditioning speakers for the last six months and have changed my mind several times so far. I'm sure by Spring, I'll know the dealy o....hopefully

I will not be using a sub when listening to two channel, so it is important that the speakers have sufficient lows without the "boominess". That's a problem I found with alot of towers with the built in subs. I want a punchy and accurate floorstander that doesn't muddy up the mids. I listen to alot of classic rock, blues, jazz and even a pinch of heavy metal at times (when I need to vent ...lol). I don't care for any hip hop/rap, so "boomy" doesn't cut it for me.

The closest Dali dealer to me is about 2 and half hours away. It's not a big deal because we go up that way often as there is a major airport up there and the wife has family coming in from NY quite often. The Helicons I auditioned were local. They belonged to a friend of the family. I got to hear these babies on Thanksgiving and I was truley blown away. Couldn't believe how a set of bookshelves blew away a majority of floorstanders I have auditioned. I had him play everything from Led Zeppelin to John Lee Hooker and they just handled everything beautifully. This is why I'm so interested in the Dali line of speakers now. There are a few others I would like to try out before making the plunge but if the Ikon series sounds anything like thier big brother, the Helicons...I'm scooping a pair of these babies up for sure!

Last edited by gamebred; 12-05-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:04 PM   #29

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Hi gamebred,

I love reading through speaker threads, especially those who's products I admire and like. This is one of those threads. I have read with interest your desire to find the right floorstander for your system and I have no doubt that through your diligence and dedication one speaker will jump out at you. If it's a Dali then you should feel very good as they are a suberb manufacturer.

I also noticed that you mentioned Totem Arros and the Sttafs. For what it's worth, many people either like one or the other, but rarely both. I cannot comment on the sound signature of the Arros as I've not truly audioned them when I decided to purchase the Totem Sttafs. It was a choice between Dynaudio and Focal/JM Lab and the Sttafs. I would have been happy with any of all three, because they were very close in the sound I was looking for. In the end, and maybe this was wrong, I chose the Sttafs for their simplicity, elegance and small footprint.

Before I end this post I do feel I must correct you on the "boominess" comment you mentioned in regards to the Sttafs. I personally believe you chose the wrong word to describe their lower end ability. The Sttaf is a slightly colored speaker to be sure, but I would describe their lower range as having a slight "bloom". They do not exhibit boominess whatsoever, although they aren't the tighest either. Perhaps it's a play on words, but its something as a Sttaf owner that I felt compelled to bring up and point out. The Arros therefore may compliment your musical taste moreso than the Sttaf, but then you'd be giving up a good amount of imaging, presence and dimentionality.

Anyway, I know you'll find what you're looking and I wish you all the best in your quest for a floorstander that meets your every requirement.

John
Old 12-05-2009, 07:27 PM   #30

Oct 2009

John, I appreciate you chiming in regarding the Sttafs. I enjoy reading about other people's experiences. I love the designated "official xxx speaker threads" on this site. Being as I have yet to audition the Sttafs or the Arros, I cannot accurately describe thier sonic characteristics. I've just read a bit here and there and a few folks picked that description when comparing them to the Arros. I certainly wouldn't consider the Rainmakers "bright" if comparing them to Klipsch or Kef but certainly brighter than other floorstanders of similiar design.

I'm all for suggestions, but we all know that what really matters is what we think about them, speaker preference is subjective...not so much the speakers. They are what they are, whether or not we like the sound of each speaker is where the difference lies. This is why it's so difficult to get any sound advice from others... pun intended.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:33 PM   #31
Super Moderator

Nov 2007

While I do recommend auditioning as many speakers as possible. I saw you say you were interested in the Monitor Audio RS series and couldn't find them anymore, and felt the RX was to expensive. I would tend to agree, once you are looking at the RX the gold series isn't far off. I thought you might be interested in this.

http://www.saturdayaudio.com/picture...er_rs_sale.htm

Sorry for the threadjacking, just passing along some info.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:37 PM   #32

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamebred View Post
John, I appreciate you chiming in regarding the Sttafs. I enjoy reading about other people's experiences. I love the designated "official xxx speaker threads" on this site. Being as I have yet to audition the Sttafs or the Arros, I cannot accurately describe thier sonic characteristics. I've just read a bit here and there and a few folks picked that description when comparing them to the Arros. I certainly wouldn't consider the Rainmakers "bright" if comparing them to Klipsch or Kef but certainly brighter than other floorstanders of similiar design.

I'm all for suggestions, but we all know that what really matters is what we think about them, speaker preference is subjective...not so much the speakers. They are what they are, whether or not we like the sound of each speaker is where the difference lies. This is why it's so difficult to get any sound advice from others... pun intended.
Exactly...your fancy may not be mine or the next guys and that's ok. You're the one who has to live with your choice.

Have you given any thought to audioning any of the Focal/JM Lab speakers? They are amazing and have a beautfiul build quality as well. I don't know how well stocked you are with good audio dealers in your area, but you would do well to audition them if you can. I think you'll be pleasently surprised.

John
Old 12-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #33
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by John72953 View Post
Hi gamebred,

I love reading through speaker threads, especially those who's products I admire and like. This is one of those threads. I have read with interest your desire to find the right floorstander for your system and I have no doubt that through your diligence and dedication one speaker will jump out at you. If it's a Dali then you should feel very good as they are a suberb manufacturer.

I also noticed that you mentioned Totem Arros and the Sttafs. For what it's worth, many people either like one or the other, but rarely both. I cannot comment on the sound signature of the Arros as I've not truly audioned them when I decided to purchase the Totem Sttafs. It was a choice between Dynaudio and Focal/JM Lab and the Sttafs. I would have been happy with any of all three, because they were very close in the sound I was looking for. In the end, and maybe this was wrong, I chose the Sttafs for their simplicity, elegance and small footprint.

Before I end this post I do feel I must correct you on the "boominess" comment you mentioned in regards to the Sttafs. I personally believe you chose the wrong word to describe their lower end ability. The Sttaf is a slightly colored speaker to be sure, but I would describe their lower range as having a slight "bloom". They do not exhibit boominess whatsoever, although they aren't the tighest either. Perhaps it's a play on words, but its something as a Sttaf owner that I felt compelled to bring up and point out. The Arros therefore may compliment your musical taste moreso than the Sttaf, but then you'd be giving up a good amount of imaging, presence and dimentionality.

Anyway, I know you'll find what you're looking and I wish you all the best in your quest for a floorstander that meets your every requirement.

John
John I think you hit right word to desbribe the low end from the Staff, You see you are right when it's rare that people like both but I do for what both speaker can acheive and for their own personal caracther. Arro are truly amazing as I mentioned in the high range of frequency and I described the Staffs to defenately have more bass but not sure if they're that colored, yes maybe compared to the Arro but Arro is quite a speaker and the praise are pooring on this little guy.

If you really enjoy female vocal want less bass and really enjoy highs that can give you that wow factor without making you ears bleed, Gamebred I think you are in for a threat with the Arro. I will give you my thaughts on the Ikon later as I had no time today.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #34

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by John72953 View Post

Have you given any thought to audioning any of the Focal/JM Lab speakers? They are amazing and have a beautfiul build quality as well. I don't know how well stocked you are with good audio dealers in your area, but you would do well to audition them if you can. I think you'll be pleasently surprised.

John

That's why I have you guys! To recommend different speakers that may fit my needs. I will look for a dealer close by. I have heard the name...not the speakers themselves. Much appreciated.

I do think some of us share similiar tastes in what we look for in a speaker, so getting as many suggestions as possible can help steer one another in the right direction in the quest for the right set of speakers.

I have some dealers I need to look up, I suppose. I will be taking a trip up north next week and plan to hit up a few audio places (just for fun...as always) with some of my preferred tunes.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:59 PM   #35

Jul 2007

All I can say gamebred is that you are in the right ballpark. Speakers manufacturers like Totem Acoustic, Dali, Dynaudio, Vienna Acoustic, Focal/JM Lab are all right up there. I can't speak for Monitor Audio's offerings as I've never had the pleasure of audioning them, but they are certainly highly regarded and well worth you considering.

Sound signature aside, what I really like about the aforementioned manufacturers is their commitment to building a quality product. Their cabinetry and finish is second to none, and one would be hard-pressed to not find one of them with a good WAF either...and I know that's a concern for many.

I envy your search in a way, although I'm very pleased with my Sttafs and have no intent on parting with them. You're in for a fun ride my friend!

John
Old 12-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #36

Oct 2009

Okay, I just got the lowdown on what the Dali dealer carries as far as other speaker brands. Seems as though he has a thing for Danish and British speakers according to his website. Maybe someone can give me some suggestions to try out along with the Ikons, Concepts, etc. I'd like to keep it under $3000 for the pair. The list is as follows: Acoustic Zen, ATC, Audioengine, Dynaudio, Epos, Era, Gamut, Quad and Wharfdale.

I'm still fairly green to quality audio so is there any particular series of any of these brands I've listed that you would recommend I audition that's within my budget? I don't need to waste time listening to speakers that cost more than my vehicle. lol
Old 12-06-2009, 11:54 PM   #37
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

I think you should get there with your music and a couple of movies and ask the dealer, here is my budget, and I would be $500 lower then your max, and then let him show you what is in your price range. Quad, Wharfdale, Dynaudio and Dali would be the 4 that I know of and would say to start the audition with.

Oh, and I am not telling you to buy the Dali's. I think for what you are doing, you need to find the perfect speaker for you. Audition as much as you can.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:48 AM   #38

Oct 2009

Quote:
Oh, and I am not telling you to buy the Dali's. I think for what you are doing, you need to find the perfect speaker for you. Audition as much as you can.

I never got that impression. You were simply sharing your experience with the Concept 8 and Ikon 7. Though your application is different, your impression and opinions is still valued to me. I too, want an awesome HT experience when I pop in a blu-ray....after all I did go with a Kuro for my choice of display.

I want to hear and see the film the way it was intended to be as well as having a well balanced musical loudspeaker. A versatile speaker will do both quite well. I believe you just need the center to be an accurate match in tone and timbre and have a good sub for HT applications. If there's any place you can skimp, it's the surrounds, so I'm not pressed for those anytime soon.

I'm in no hurry at all for anything. I got someone PM-ing me now trying to sell me some Dalis but I'm not making a move until Spring. By then I am certain I will have found the right set. I can't seem to find a Totem dealer anywhere around the south east of US. Too bad the only ones I have ever heard (and probably ever will hear) were those little Rainmakers.

Last edited by gamebred; 12-07-2009 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:41 PM   #39
Contributor

Apr 2009

Where do you live Gamegred you can do a search on the Totem Website by zipcodes

Found one in Florida

Live Wire Technologies
140 B North One Drive
St-Augustine, FL

One in NC

Big Kids Toys
1413 Garland Drive
Greensboro, NC
(336) 340-3945
http://www.big-kids-toys.com/

Last edited by BigAl87; 12-07-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:22 AM   #40

Jul 2009
Manila, Philippines

Sorry for threadjacking but callas which whafe is listed at 3k? But back to the thread ... I would think with his budget he could get the Helicon 300s with some haggling. I actually liked the mentors better than the Ikons same design but the mentors has the better cabinet. But those helicons are in a different class.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers