Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Batman Beyond (Blu-ray)
$69.96
19 hrs ago
Paganini Horror (Blu-ray)
$23.49
4 hrs ago
Ready or Not (Blu-ray)
$19.99
10 hrs ago
Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Paganini Horror (Blu-ray)
$19.89
 
Aladdin (Blu-ray)
$18.00
 
Dragon Ball Super: Part 9 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
DC 7-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$114.99
13 hrs ago
Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
The Haunting of Hill House (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96
 
Hereditary (Blu-ray)
$4.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2013, 04:01 AM   #1
PlasmaMan PlasmaMan is offline
Member
 
Jan 2013
Question What do I look for in a used sub? Do all subs bottom out?

I have seen several subs on Craigslist. BIC America is a good budget sub from what all I read. F12, V1220. But I refuse to buy anymore subs without hearing them. I have been burned before.

When I go to hear the sub, when should I hear the flapping noise? Never? Do they all do that when the bass hz is super low (for a given sub)?

If I put in War of the Worlds, should the sub start flapping, buzzing, whatever, if I turn the sound on the receiver up?

Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:13 AM   #2
Billy13 Billy13 is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Billy13's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
Somewhere Between Heaven ↑ & Hell ↓ ......
436
115
63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaMan View Post
I have seen several subs on Craigslist. BIC America is a good budget sub from what all I read. F12, V1220. But I refuse to buy anymore subs without hearing them. I have been burned before.

When I go to hear the sub, when should I hear the flapping noise? Never? Do they all do that when the bass hz is super low (for a given sub)?

If I put in War of the Worlds, should the sub start flapping, buzzing, whatever, if I turn the sound on the receiver up?

Thanks.
Never.... unless you've got the gain on the sub or volume on receiver to high. If you hear what you're describing, chances are, the driver may be blown unless you're just flat out blasting it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:14 AM   #3
Billy13 Billy13 is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Billy13's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
Somewhere Between Heaven ↑ & Hell ↓ ......
436
115
63
Default

Understand though that not all subwoofers can handle extremely low hz, so keep that in mind also
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:26 AM   #4
PlasmaMan PlasmaMan is offline
Member
 
Jan 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy13 View Post
Understand though that not all subwoofers can handle extremely low hz, so keep that in mind also
Ok, but does that mean when I put in Jurassic Park that the T-Rex shows up, the sub should flap?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:28 AM   #5
Ben_R Ben_R is offline
Power Member
 
Ben_R's Avatar
 
Jul 2010
35
1082
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaMan View Post
Ok, but does that mean when I put in Jurassic Park that the T-Rex shows up, the sub should flap?
Do you mean like this?

  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:36 AM   #6
Ben_R Ben_R is offline
Power Member
 
Ben_R's Avatar
 
Jul 2010
35
1082
7
Default

Or like this?


What have you got your AVR and subwoofer set at?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:43 AM   #7
Billy13 Billy13 is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Billy13's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
Somewhere Between Heaven ↑ & Hell ↓ ......
436
115
63
Default

If the sub is bottoming out, it's either blown, or your levels are too high.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
PlasmaMan PlasmaMan is offline
Member
 
Jan 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_R View Post
Or like this?

SVS PB 1000 take 2 - YouTube

What have you got your AVR and subwoofer set at?
I don't. I'm looking for a used one and don't want to get ripped.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #9
Billy13 Billy13 is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Billy13's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
Somewhere Between Heaven ↑ & Hell ↓ ......
436
115
63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaMan View Post
I don't. I'm looking for a used one and don't want to get ripped.
I always bring myiPod, and cables to check out subs when I buy used. You definately need to give them a thorough test before a purchase. And if you hear something bad......back off, unless of coarse its a stellar deal, and is an easy fix. I've purchased used subs, knowing the driver was blown. Some folks just abuse things But after a simple upgrade in drivers. ...good to go...but of coarse I knew I was getting a good deal, even having to replace a part
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
Blu-Dog Blu-Dog is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Blu-Dog's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA
9
1
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaMan View Post
I don't. I'm looking for a used one and don't want to get ripped.
Are you reselling them or something? You can go new, or get anything and put a fresh driver in.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #11
PlasmaMan PlasmaMan is offline
Member
 
Jan 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
Are you reselling them or something? You can go new, or get anything and put a fresh driver in.
No. I'm buying off Craigslist.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #12
Ben_R Ben_R is offline
Power Member
 
Ben_R's Avatar
 
Jul 2010
35
1082
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaMan View Post
No. I'm buying off Craigslist.
Then do what Billy said, take your iPod and cables with you and give the sub you are looking at buying a really good audition.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #13
PlasmaMan PlasmaMan is offline
Member
 
Jan 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_R View Post
Then do what Billy said, take your iPod and cables with you and give the sub you are looking at buying a really good audition.
Then I need to have the guy hook it to his AVR, right? I shouldn't just meet up and take it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #14
Billy13 Billy13 is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Billy13's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
Somewhere Between Heaven ↑ & Hell ↓ ......
436
115
63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaMan View Post
Then I need to have the guy hook it to his AVR, right? I shouldn't just meet up and take it.





NEVER just meet up and take it!!!!!

Some people say they don't have a receiver to hook it up, so if you just take one of these
[Show spoiler]
with, just plug in your iPod, plug the male rca's in the sub, pick some bass heavy music, fiddle with the gain, the phase switch, the crossover settings, turn it on and off....all the things you're going to do when you get home.

Keep in mind this is only a signal from a phone, or iPod, so it's not going to knock your socks off, but if it's a good subwoofer, it's going to still sound good.

I showed up one time to check out a sub, guy gave me the I don't have a way of testing it line of b.s., I pulled out my little connector, and his jaw dropped....turned out, the woofer was blown, his ad said otherwise. needless to say ...
[Show spoiler]

--------- ...................................


So be smart, and make us proud
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #15
PlasmaMan PlasmaMan is offline
Member
 
Jan 2013
Default

So the sub will work even if you don't have a full blown receiver? Just from the phone to the sub?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:59 PM   #16
Billy13 Billy13 is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Billy13's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
Somewhere Between Heaven ↑ & Hell ↓ ......
436
115
63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaMan View Post
So the sub will work even if you don't have a full blown receiver? Just from the phone to the sub?
Yes sir

All you're doing is sending a signal to it, whether that be your phone or a receiver.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:26 PM.