Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Hitchcock: British International Pictures Collection (Blu-ray)
$33.49

Spider-Man: Far from Home / Spider-Man: Homecoming / Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse / Venom (Blu-ray)
$56.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Haunting of Hill House (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Annabelle Comes Home (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Hammer Horror 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Gemini Man (Blu-ray)
$22.99
56 min ago
Frankenstein: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (Blu-ray)
$14.99
19 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 01-31-2015, 05:00 PM   #1
Special Member

Dec 2007
Default PA-120 Amp Replacement Help

I attached a picture of inside the PA-120. My amp was broken and the wiring disconnected by my helpful housemates over the summer while I was away.

There are 4 possible metal pieces to slide the wires on to, but I am unsure which 2 of the four to choose. It appears that each of the wires could fit on 2 of the metal connections.

Any help from those that are more knowledgeable is appreciated. I am not even sure if there is a "wrong" choice, or if choosing wrong would do anything bad.

I attached a picture of the wiring and the 4 metal connections.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inside_sub.jpg (52.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 01-31-2015, 05:11 PM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trean View Post
I attached a picture of inside the PA-120. My amp was broken and the wiring disconnected by my helpful housemates over the summer while I was away.

There are 4 possible metal pieces to slide the wires on to, but I am unsure which 2 of the four to choose. It appears that each of the wires could fit on 2 of the metal connections.

Any help from those that are more knowledgeable is appreciated. I am not even sure if there is a "wrong" choice, or if choosing wrong would do anything bad.

I attached a picture of the wiring and the 4 metal connections.
i'm confused, did your housemates break the PA-120 and then disconnect the internal wiring? if they did, have you kicked their asses already, i hope so.

anyway, is there no marking on either side of the terminals that says + or - ?

there are actually 2 actual "terminals" with 2 connection terminals on each. look at them, it's a left terminal and a right terminal, with 2 connections each.

worse case would be that it's outta phase if the polarity is reversed. you would be able to hear it.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:28 PM   #3
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

also, can you get a closer picture. are you sure that is the only connection terminal on the driver?
Old 01-31-2015, 06:03 PM   #4
Special Member

Dec 2007

yes those are the only terminals, no i broke the amp, actually just the metal connection plug on the back but whole amp replacement is needed for that one little piece. they were just trying to be helpful and moving it out of the way when vacuuming and in transit they detached the wires because i had taken the back off to see the insides prior to opting to purchase a replacement amp.

I went ahead and connected it, I saw no way to determine pos/neg but there was one wire connected to actual underside/sub side for each right/left pairing. I am not sure what the extra metal attachments are for.

How can I tell if polarity is flipped? and there is a phase knob, 0 to 180. not sure what to set that to, gonna look it up.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:23 PM   #5
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
yes those are the only terminals, no i broke the amp, actually just the metal connection plug on the back but whole amp replacement is needed for that one little piece. they were just trying to be helpful and moving it out of the way when vacuuming and in transit they detached the wires because i had taken the back off to see the insides prior to opting to purchase a replacement amp.

I went ahead and connected it, I saw no way to determine pos/neg but there was one wire connected to actual underside/sub side for each right/left pairing. I am not sure what the extra metal attachments are for.

How can I tell if polarity is flipped? and there is a phase knob, 0 to 180. not sure what to set that to, gonna look it up.
it should sound/feel exactly like it did before the disconnecting. try something on a blu-ray (something your familiar with how it sounded/felt)with real heavy LFE; if it doesn't sound the same, reverse the connections inside and try listening again.

oh, by the way, did you kick your own ass for breaking the amp? i mean, if your busy, i can stop by and take care of it for you!?! dude, i'm just trying to be helpful here!
Old 01-31-2015, 06:27 PM   #6
Special Member

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
it should sound/feel exactly like it did before the disconnecting. try something on a blu-ray (something your familiar with how it sounded/felt)with real heavy LFE; if it doesn't sound the same, reverse the connections inside and try listening again.

oh, by the way, did you kick your own ass for breaking the amp? i mean, if your busy, i can stop by and take care of it for you!?! dude, i'm just trying to be helpful here!
yes i was pissed, it happened by disconnecting the amp and moving it so um i don't think that should break it but i learned my lesson, never disconnect and move again.

will try iron man 2 end scene shortly. set the knobs back to my initial settings that I found. volume 6, phase 0 degrees (front of room), cross 80 hertz
Old 01-31-2015, 06:40 PM   #7
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
yes i was pissed, it happened by disconnecting the amp and moving it so um i don't think that should break it but i learned my lesson, never disconnect and move again.

will try iron man 2 end scene shortly. set the knobs back to my initial settings that I found. volume 6, phase 0 degrees (front of room), cross 80 hertz
good luck, keep us posted.

oh and i am still available.........
just-saiyan.jpg

Old 01-31-2015, 08:13 PM   #8
Special Member

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
good luck, keep us posted.

oh and i am still available.........
Attachment 107497

seems good to go, bumped cross to just above 80 but probably not quite 100, lets say 90. kept phase at 0. volume at 6.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:14 PM   #9
Special Member

Dec 2007

thanks for all the help
Old 01-31-2015, 08:52 PM   #10
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
thanks for all the help
aw man, i really hoping to stop by and but, i guess, thanks will have to do, i guess.......

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers