Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
 
Hitchcock: British International Pictures Collection (Blu-ray)
$33.49
 
Spider-Man: Far from Home / Spider-Man: Homecoming / Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse / Venom (Blu-ray)
$56.99
 
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
The Haunting of Hill House (Blu-ray)
$24.99
23 hrs ago
Annabelle Comes Home (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Hammer Horror 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
 
Frankenstein: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Godzilla: King of the Monsters (Blu-ray)
$14.99
19 hrs ago
The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2015, 05:05 AM   #1
rlf3911 rlf3911 is offline
Senior Member
 
Sep 2007
Mansfield, TX
251
4
Default Klipsch Dilemma

So I finally decided to upgrade my junky Polk subwoofer. I went to Fry's set on buying the Sub-12(Sub-12HG) that was on sale for $199. While there I also checked out the Reference 12(R-12SW). I couldn't decide in store, so I bought both of them, both were priced at $199. I'll give them both a try for a week each, and have a comparison weekend once I've broke them both in. They are 100% used for TV/Movies. I've got crossover set at 40hz since I've got large towers all around.

My initial thoughts: The Sub-12 is easily 8-10lbs heavier, but the casing feels like plastic. Both seem to be the same size.

I've got the Ref 12 hooked up right now. I watched How To Train A Dragon 2 and Toy Story. Both sounded pretty great, gets much lower then my old Polk did.

Any opinions or thoughts?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:22 AM   #2
Badas Badas is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Badas's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
LOTR Auckland, New Zealand (Down Under)
120
15
2321
17
11
10
Default

Stick your crossovers at 80hz. Let the subs do the work. That is what they are there for.

I run big speakers and they are bi-amped with true 280 watts each and I still have them set at 80hz.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:40 AM   #3
Billy13 Billy13 is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Billy13's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
Somewhere Between Heaven ↑ & Hell ↓ ......
436
115
63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post
Stick your crossovers at 80hz. Let the subs do the work. That is what they are there for.

I run big speakers and they are bi-amped with true 280 watts each and I still have them set at 80hz.
+1

Not sure what 'large towers' you are running, but I wouldn't set mine to 40hz.....what is your avr crossed over at?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:44 AM   #4
Midnight Rambler Midnight Rambler is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Midnight Rambler's Avatar
 
Jan 2011
OH-IO
2
831
13
Default

I'd keep the R-12SW, I've been very pleased with mine.

But how the heck did you get it for $199 ? Frys' site doesn't even list it and other vendors' prices are easily $200-300 more. Good catch on your part ...
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:21 PM   #5
prerich prerich is offline
Moderator
 
prerich's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
46
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlf3911 View Post
So I finally decided to upgrade my junky Polk subwoofer. I went to Fry's set on buying the Sub-12(Sub-12HG) that was on sale for $199. While there I also checked out the Reference 12(R-12SW). I couldn't decide in store, so I bought both of them, both were priced at $199. I'll give them both a try for a week each, and have a comparison weekend once I've broke them both in. They are 100% used for TV/Movies. I've got crossover set at 40hz since I've got large towers all around.

My initial thoughts: The Sub-12 is easily 8-10lbs heavier, but the casing feels like plastic. Both seem to be the same size.

I've got the Ref 12 hooked up right now. I watched How To Train A Dragon 2 and Toy Story. Both sounded pretty great, gets much lower then my old Polk did.

Any opinions or thoughts?
I have Klipsch Cornwalls and my crossover is set at 80hz. Do yourself a favor and let the subs do their job
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:16 PM   #6
Steve Steve is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Steve's Avatar
 
May 2008
Jacksonville, FL
54
79
349
41
Default

I agree with everyone else here telling you to raise your crossover setting to 80hz.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:43 PM   #7
rlf3911 rlf3911 is offline
Senior Member
 
Sep 2007
Mansfield, TX
251
4
Default

Will do, I'll raise the crossover to 80 and try it out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:00 PM   #8
Billy13 Billy13 is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Billy13's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
Somewhere Between Heaven ↑ & Hell ↓ ......
436
115
63
Default

Have you listened to both by now? What's the verdict, which do you think sounds best?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:24 AM   #9
rlf3911 rlf3911 is offline
Senior Member
 
Sep 2007
Mansfield, TX
251
4
Default

I've got the Ref 12 hooked up now, and will swap it out for the Sub 12 next week. I am going to run each of them for a week to give them a chance to break in a little bit before making a decision.

The Ref 12 is sounding pretty darn good, and the more I read online seems to suggest that the Ref 12 model is a step up from the Sub 12 line.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:17 PM   #10
rlf3911 rlf3911 is offline
Senior Member
 
Sep 2007
Mansfield, TX
251
4
Default

I ended up keeping the R-12SW. They were really very close, I think the Sub 12 may have went a little lower, but the R-12SW just seemed to have a better sound, and seemed to 'fill the room more' as my wife and daughter put it. Maybe it's because the sub is front facing and not downward facing like the Sub 12. Both were great subs, and having both of them hooked up at once sounded amazing, but I couldn't justify keeping both.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:39 PM   #11
Billy13 Billy13 is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Billy13's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
Somewhere Between Heaven ↑ & Hell ↓ ......
436
115
63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlf3911 View Post
I ended up keeping the R-12SW. They were really very close, I think the Sub 12 may have went a little lower, but the R-12SW just seemed to have a better sound, and seemed to 'fill the room more' as my wife and daughter put it. Maybe it's because the sub is front facing and not downward facing like the Sub 12. Both were great subs, and having both of them hooked up at once sounded amazing, but I couldn't justify keeping both.
Well congratulations on your new sub! Have fun with it.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:52 AM.