Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Jackie Chan Collection: Volume 1 (1976-1982) (Blu-ray)
$71.49
8 hrs ago
A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
19 hrs ago
The Magnificent Seven 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99
3 hrs ago
A Man Called Otto (Blu-ray)
$22.96
17 hrs ago
Three Colors 4K (Blu-ray)
$87.49
1 day ago
The Jackie Chan Collection: Volume 2 (1983-1993) (Blu-ray)
$80.99
 
Plane 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.06
1 day ago
Universal Classic Monsters: Icons of Horror Collection Vol. 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$38.99
 
Westworld: Season Four 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.49
1 day ago
DragonHeart 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
3 hrs ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
$49.99
 
Roots: The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray)
$19.52
19 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > OLED TVs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2022, 12:23 AM   #1
MrCorky MrCorky is offline
Junior Member
 
MrCorky's Avatar
 
Oct 2022
NJ
Default Has anyone here purchased the A95K and preferred the S95B? (Gaming/Blu-Ray/DVD)

I had my best-buy total-tech delivery of a 55-inch A95K on Monday, and I'm a bit underwhelmed so far, even after tweaking and using some recommended calibration settings. I basically settled for the Normal Mode with some tweaks and a tweaked game mode to mimic the S95B's game mode. I was not too fond of ratings.com's recommended settings based on custom mode or any settings based on custom mode, for that matter. Just too washed out and bland. Vivid mode is also really crappy and seems like an exaggerated version of the S95B presentation.

Graphics for gaming is excellent, but for movies and low-quality content, I'm failing to see what this offers me over the S95B?

The picture is fine, but when I visited my uncle over Thanksgiving, I felt the Samsung S95B looked better. I was streaming a 4k version of the original Friday the 13th, and it looked fantastic. I know Tizen isn't the best, but I have a frame TV too, so I'm used to it. I watch a lot of old DVDs and low-quality content, and while it looks good on the Sony, it's not a lot better than my Frame. I'm also giving up two 2.1 HDMI ports and no way to use my PS5's DVD player for movies without switching the HDMI port to enhanced since once you enable the HDMI port as VRR, your are locked into game mode. I don't feel like constantly switching just to watch a DVD so I'd probably have to get a separate DVD player for this tv as well. I know these things aren't the end of the world but they wouldn't be issues with the S95B and I could potentially have an image I enjoyed more. I find some of the color pop w/ samsung TVS can actually benefit older grainy movies. I've experienced this with my Frame TV and it is far from a top of the line Samsung option.

I also heard the Auto calibration mode with the S95B is pretty good. I also realize now that a 65 inch would fit appropriately in this space and I could exchange the A95K and move up to a 65 inch S95B while still saving 500 bucks. Is this logical or am I crazy?

Any feedback is appreciated from folks that lived with both TVs! I also like the G2, but I'm worried about it underperforming with the Nintendo Switch.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 02:29 PM   #2
oddbox83 oddbox83 is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
oddbox83's Avatar
 
Sep 2013
UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCorky View Post
Graphics for gaming is excellent, but for movies and low-quality content, I'm failing to see what this offers me over the S95B?
Accuracy.

I love my A95k. Live with it for a bit and have a play (custom is the most accurate to filmmaker intent, but you could try some of the enhancement features in the picture menu).
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 11:35 PM   #3
littlepooch21 littlepooch21 is offline
Expert Member
 
Jul 2010
11
136
198
248
Default

I don't have the A95K but I have both the Samsung S95B and the Sony A90J. Obviously not comparing apples to apples..... I like the picture on my Samsung better. I like the "pop" of the colors more. Now it may not be accurate, but I just prefer it. I have owned more Samsung tv's in my life so I'm sure it's just a preference. Now my wife likes the Sony better so to each it's own.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 12:17 AM   #4
batman2000 batman2000 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Oct 2006
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepooch21 View Post
I don't have the A95K but I have both the Samsung S95B and the Sony A90J. Obviously not comparing apples to apples..... I like the picture on my Samsung better. I like the "pop" of the colors more. Now it may not be accurate, but I just prefer it. I have owned more Samsung tv's in my life so I'm sure it's just a preference. Now my wife likes the Sony better so to each it's own.
This video shows you why with the Samsung that pop is not good your losing details and colors are neon not natural the Sony is the clear winner.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 03:08 PM   #5
littlepooch21 littlepooch21 is offline
Expert Member
 
Jul 2010
11
136
198
248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman2000 View Post
This video shows you why with the Samsung that pop is not good your losing details and colors are neon not natural the Sony is the clear winner. Samsung S95B VS Sony A95K Color Compare On Gaming PC | Discussion - YouTube
Like I said in my post I'm sure it's not the accurate look but I like the "pop".
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 03:09 PM   #6
punisher punisher is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
punisher's Avatar
 
May 2010
MSG CHASE BRIDGE
2
202
Default

The Samsung does NOT support Dolby Vision....the Sony does
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
batman2000 (12-06-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 04:55 PM   #7
batman2000 batman2000 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Oct 2006
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepooch21 View Post
Like I said in my post I'm sure it's not the accurate look but I like the "pop".
So you like not seeing the cracks in the wall you should be able to see and over saturated colors that look beyond wrong? I like colorful images too but having colors that over saturated is beyond wrong. I can’t believe anyone would like colors that are the equivalent of having red skin tones. Also because of it you get the wrong color of green etc. so yeah I want the wrong color green red blue on my display. sorry but I see on the Sony you get proper shades of color too. so why would I want a display that I’m missing shades of color on top of over saturation.

Last edited by batman2000; 12-06-2022 at 05:02 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 03:09 AM   #8
MrCorky MrCorky is offline
Junior Member
 
MrCorky's Avatar
 
Oct 2022
NJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepooch21 View Post
Like I said in my post I'm sure it's not the accurate look but I like the "pop".
I like the pop as well as my Samsung Frame has that traditional Samsung presentation and it looks really good with some of my watered down SD DVD content. I just purchased the 80's boxset of twilight zone and going to do some comparisons this weekend between the 2021 Frame and A95k w/ this set. I haven't really noticed any red skin tones with any of the YouTube S95B showcases with other comparable models. Have you dealt with any Panel warping? That's my biggest concern really.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 03:15 AM   #9
MrCorky MrCorky is offline
Junior Member
 
MrCorky's Avatar
 
Oct 2022
NJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepooch21 View Post
Like I said in my post I'm sure it's not the accurate look but I like the "pop".
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
Accuracy.

I love my A95k. Live with it for a bit and have a play (custom is the most accurate to filmmaker intent, but you could try some of the enhancement features in the picture menu).
Yea, I'm still fiddling with the presets and tweaking things to get the image to more of my liking. For me personally, Using normal mode as a baseline has given me the best results. I am going to watch a few episodes of the 1980s twilight zone on DVD this weekend on both the Frame and a95k. I couldn't imagine watching older SD DVD content in custom mode as it is pretty dreadful, IMO. Still testing!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 05:55 PM   #10
littlepooch21 littlepooch21 is offline
Expert Member
 
Jul 2010
11
136
198
248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman2000 View Post
So you like not seeing the cracks in the wall you should be able to see and over saturated colors that look beyond wrong? I like colorful images too but having colors that over saturated is beyond wrong. I canít believe anyone would like colors that are the equivalent of having red skin tones. Also because of it you get the wrong color of green etc. so yeah I want the wrong color green red blue on my display. sorry but I see on the Sony you get proper shades of color too. so why would I want a display that Iím missing shades of color on top of over saturation.
just a personal preference.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 05:56 PM   #11
littlepooch21 littlepooch21 is offline
Expert Member
 
Jul 2010
11
136
198
248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCorky View Post
I like the pop as well as my Samsung Frame has that traditional Samsung presentation and it looks really good with some of my watered down SD DVD content. I just purchased the 80's boxset of twilight zone and going to do some comparisons this weekend between the 2021 Frame and A95k w/ this set. I haven't really noticed any red skin tones with any of the YouTube S95B showcases with other comparable models. Have you dealt with any Panel warping? That's my biggest concern really.
no mine is perfect. no warping or anything. I'm sure a lot of what you hear are just from the people experiencing the issues. most people that are satisfied with a set just don't say much.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 07:37 PM   #12
batman2000 batman2000 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Oct 2006
1
Default

So you guys look at that video from the spider man game and think green on Samsung is better even though it looks like radioactive colors where the Sony looks normal and that’s bad? I’m so confused I don’t like it when colors look like that I like getting more color but not at the level of it looking cartoony and not right. that’s why I prefer the Sony just not the price of the Sony.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > OLED TVs


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:26 AM.