Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Jackie Chan Collection: Volume 1 (1976-1982) (Blu-ray)
$71.49
8 hrs ago
A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
19 hrs ago
The Magnificent Seven 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99
4 hrs ago
A Man Called Otto (Blu-ray)
$22.96
17 hrs ago
Three Colors 4K (Blu-ray)
$87.49
1 day ago
The Jackie Chan Collection: Volume 2 (1983-1993) (Blu-ray)
$80.99

Plane 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.06
1 day ago
Universal Classic Monsters: Icons of Horror Collection Vol. 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$38.99

Westworld: Season Four 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.49
1 day ago
DragonHeart 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
4 hrs ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Roots: The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray)
$19.52
19 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software

Old 12-09-2022, 01:34 AM   #21
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011
Chicago IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thman View Post
I have to order multiple copies of every Kino title I buy because of the dire state of the discs - fingerprints, scuffs, scratches. The discs look like they have been scraped across the factory floor. Every time I hear about a title I want that's coming out exclusively from Kino my heart sinks. Sure, the discs usually play, but if I want to sell them on I can't describe them as "like new".
That stinks .

I went through all my open Kino titles , About 20 of them and I'm lucky not 1 scratch . I'm sure it will happen to me eventually . I would return anything scratched . But I don't always open everything right away . Some will sit for years .
Thanks given by:
the13thman (12-13-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 02:20 PM   #22

Feb 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa5150 View Post
Never seen a bluray that said "made in Germany" anywhere since blurays came out in 2006 , Who ever is getting German ones is lucky ! Can someone post a picture of a made in Germany" of a bluray or 4k that was purchased in the USA ? I have discs only available in Germany and can not find Germany anywhere on them and most are still sealed .

I picked up the Pulp Fiction 4k in the US and it had a label on the plastic saying made in Germany. There are EU discs, sold in the US, but companies try to cut corners and here we are with the Mexico plant.

I picked up the last copy of an Evil Dead 1 + 2 set, and this is from a Mexico plant. Very similar to all my criterions I've purchased since 2018....

Nice scratches right out of the box

And some more Criterion scratches I've received:

And another post from someone else for the same movie:

Quality control is all over the place, and I'm starting to limit my purchases because of it...

Last edited by pd89; 12-09-2022 at 02:35 PM.
Thanks given by:
sa5150 (12-11-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 08:27 PM   #23

Feb 2017
-

Quote:
Never seen a bluray that said "made in Germany" anywhere since blurays came out in 2006 , Who ever is getting German ones is lucky ! Can someone post a picture of a made in Germany" of a bluray or 4k that was purchased in the USA ? I have discs only available in Germany and can not find Germany anywhere on them and most are still sealed .
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeStandMan151 View Post
Yes, tomorrow when I have time at home I can take and post a picture of the Sonic 2 4K that I got that has the "Made In Germany" ink stamp on the back. (FWIW I haven't opened it yet). To clarify, however, it's not a release that is only available in Germany or one specifically made for Germany. It's the US release in English, but the "Made In" ink stamp on the back says "Made in Germany" instead of the more common "Made in Mexico" (that we almost always get in the US).
As promised, here's the picture of the Sonic 2 4K:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sonic2.jpg (85.3 KB, 22 views)
Thanks given by:
sa5150 (12-11-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 11:25 PM   #24

Feb 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeStandMan151 View Post
As promised, here's the picture of the Sonic 2 4K:
With my my Pulp Fiction disc and your pic, it looks like Paramount isn't cutting corners and prints in Germany. Nice to see.
Old 12-10-2022, 06:26 AM   #25
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2007

Only some region A North America or USA Blu-ray releases have a sticker on the shrink wrap saying where they are made. Sometimes there is not a label at all. Sometimes the package says “Made in Mexico”, other times the package says “Made in Germany”. However, for some boxset releases one sometimes gets stickers saying “Discs made in Germany and packaged in the USA”.

Personally, I have not had a problem with optical discs in either Mexico or Germany, if I did I would have mentioned it at Blu-ray.com.
Old 12-13-2022, 01:03 PM   #26

Feb 2015
London, England

Quote:
That stinks .

I went through all my open Kino titles , About 20 of them and I'm lucky not 1 scratch . I'm sure it will happen to me eventually . I would return anything scratched . But I don't always open everything right away . Some will sit for years .
They used to be OK when I first started buying them but recently (within the last year or so) all but one has arrived factory scratched to a greater or lesser extent.

I would never leave a Kino title sealed on the shelf while the return window is still open.
Old 12-13-2022, 09:51 PM   #27

Feb 2017
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thman View Post
They used to be OK when I first started buying them but recently (within the last year or so) all but one has arrived factory scratched to a greater or lesser extent.

I would never leave a Kino title sealed on the shelf while the return window is still open.
Good to know. I'm waiting on an order from Kino from their most recent sale and now I'm planning to open each item upon arrival. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2023, 07:36 PM   #28
Special Member

Feb 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
Only some region A North America or USA Blu-ray releases have a sticker on the shrink wrap saying where they are made. Sometimes there is not a label at all. Sometimes the package says “Made in Mexico”, other times the package says “Made in Germany”. However, for some boxset releases one sometimes gets stickers saying “Discs made in Germany and packaged in the USA”.

Personally, I have not had a problem with optical discs in either Mexico or Germany, if I did I would have mentioned it at Blu-ray.com.
Yes, on the shrink wrap is how I've noticed "Made in Mexico".

Until recently, when I noticed in even smaller font "Disc Made in Mexico" on the back cover of a Blu-ray. I had to return it to Amazon for replacement. It froze in three chapters on disc one (of two discs). Its replacement, also with the smaller font "Disc Made in Mexico", appears to play cleanly.

IMO the Vantiva Mexico plant is a sloppily-run enterprise that dearly needs North America disc replication competition with a serious business model.
Supposedly Vantiva Mexico supplies 90% of replicated video discs for North America, and in their own admittance suffer from inadequacies.

From my Amazon purchasing experience of new video discs, I've had defective DVD, Blu-ray, and 4K UHD BD "made" at Vantiva Mexico. All replacements have played cleanly.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software