Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Men in Black Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.96
14 hrs ago
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

The Predator (Blu-ray)
$19.99
14 hrs ago
Lucifer: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$25.15

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Blu-ray)
$26.42
4 hrs ago
The Meg (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Hitman's Bodyguard (Blu-ray)
$9.99

This Is the End (Blu-ray)
$4.99

The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Blue Planet II 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Sailor Moon Super S: Season 4 Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$42.37

Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$19.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-17-2018, 09:33 PM   #41
Banned

Jan 2018

I'm in the UK and I'm sure I've had this on Bluray for several years.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:55 PM   #42

Nov 2011

I wonder if the transfer will be constant width or constant height to handle the multiple aspect ratios.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:29 PM   #43
Banned

Jan 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie989 View Post
I wonder if the transfer will be constant width or constant height to handle the multiple aspect ratios.
Likely the same disc as the one released in Europe

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparison....php?fid=46793
Old 05-22-2018, 01:19 AM   #44
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010

Fletch Lives was a new disc when an existing foreign release already existed. This will probably be a new disc with no menu like all these other MOD discs have been.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:29 PM   #45

Nov 2017
New Braunfels, TX

Guess it's been delayed. Wish Universal would let us know. Not a good sign.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:06 PM   #46
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010

The same thing happens on all of these Universal MOD releases. They don't ship until a day or two after the release date. Amazon never offered release date delivery on this title.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:58 PM   #47

Nov 2017
New Braunfels, TX

Amazon is now saying it will ship in 1-2 months. Typical. It's not a MOD release.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:02 PM   #48
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010

It is a MOD releasw and Amazon is handling it just like the other recent Universal MOD releases.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:00 PM   #49
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

More American Graffiti is an interesting film, though I've only seen it once. Being a huge fan of the first movie, it was nice to see the sequel and how many of the main (and secondary) characters were faring years after the first film. I also thought it was interesting to see the contrast in the eras - the first film took place during 1963 & the music was primarily 1950's/early 1960's rock. Conversely, the second film took place in the later 1960's, when the hippie/counter-culture movement, protest against the Vietnam War, Civil Rights Movement(s), etc. were all taking place - so, the music was reflecting the then-new era & was more socially concious & unusual (at that time). Great stuff here.

That being said, I was somewhat turned off by the split-screen sequence in MAG. Though I haven't minded split-screens in other films, typically there are only two storylines going on at the same time. Conversely, in MAG there were up to four split screens at any given time, which made the various storyline(s) hard to follow at times.

However, I probably need to give the movie another chance - I may like it more the second time around.

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 06-12-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:41 PM   #50
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuruAskew View Post
It is a MOD releasw and Amazon is handling it just like the other recent Universal MOD releases.
It really isn't. Well, I guess we are the point where everyone's definition of MOD can vary, but the one that is now getting thrown around this forum would make almost every book an MOD release. If enough orders are placed and a current printing is exhausted, publishers will do another printing if demand dictates. Really, that should be how just about everything works.

Amazon isn't creating these via their CreateSpace program - nobody is burning discs when orders are placed.

I guess the argument is that Universal seems to be creating small batches and maybe if enough retailers show a demand for more they will go back and do another run at some point... again, like a subsequent printing of a book.

I know sites like BullMoose refer to these as "MOD", too, even though their info contradicts itself on the listing. On the one hand, it's an MOD release and could take 2-3 weeks, which would make sense if it were really manufactured on demand. Right under that it says it will ship same day or next day. Which is it? I guess I'll find out since I'm giving up on Best Buy and their panini press packaging for these discs.

Last edited by BrandonJF; 06-15-2018 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:09 PM   #51
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010

Ok, so it doesn’t meet your definition of a MOD release.

In other news: it is a MOD release.

Edit: also, Amazon is currently preparing my More American Graffiti disc for shipment a few days after the listed street date just as I said it would earlier when you said it was delayed. Again, this order fulfillment behavior is exactly like all the other Universal MOD releases.

Last edited by GuruAskew; 06-15-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:30 PM   #52
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010

I got my not-delayed MOD release of More American Graffiti today. They actually paid for overnight UPS Saturday Delivery.

It’s like the other Universal MOD titles: the slightly poorer-quality insert printing, the plain black disc art and minimal menus. In fact, the menu is nothing more than “subtitles on/subtitles off.”

I’m just about to start a double-feature viewing of both movies.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:26 PM   #53
Special Member

Nov 2008
-
-
Send a message via ICQ to yellowcakeuf6

I'm not a fan of shifting aspect ratios, and this film is all over the place: 2.35:1, about 1.85:1 within the 2.35 frame, and about 1.33:1 within the 2.35 frame. I understand why they did it, and it is interesting, to help keep track of various period flashbacks, but I still don't like it. The DVD got it right, everything would be within the 2.35:1 frame like the original theatrical presentation. No reason to change it.
The DVD's 4.0 soundtrack did not use the surrounds much if at all, if I remember correctly. The first film's DVD sound had a very well done Dolby 2.0 Surround track (Pro Logic), and really captured the ambient sounds, putting you right in the middle of the action. I never got the BD, because it is shite.
Lucas is a hard one to figure, he was responsible for the total revamping of movie theater's sound systems, yet now he doesn't seem to care about how the home video versions of his films are presented, the way most will see them moving forward. I guess that's what happens when you get way too comfortable.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:50 PM   #54
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJF View Post
Amazon isn't creating these via their CreateSpace program - nobody is burning discs when orders are placed.
You seem to be confusing "MOD" for "burned". This was (and is, I believe) basically true for DVDs, but Warner Archive changed all of that for Blu. Now "Manufactured on Demand" means that the studios create the minimum amount that a factory will create (I believe 1000 is the number), and will only make more when they have sold them all off. (Granted, if pre-orders exceed that number, they will have a larger initial run.) But the studios never considered pressed vs. burned to be the distinction -- which makes sense, considering that their argument was that the change between pressed and burned has no impact on the consumer. They just became interchangeable because it wasn't financially feasible to set up regular pressings for MOD DVDs in the way that it can be for Blus.

Quote:
If enough orders are placed and a current printing is exhausted, publishers will do another printing if demand dictates. Really, that should be how just about everything works.
Here is the part where you are making an error in comparison. MOD movies can not be bulk ordered by stores and then returned to the label for full credit if they don't sell. This is the most important distinction, as it is the one that leads to the relatively limited availability of MOD products.

Last edited by thatguamguy; 06-17-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:25 PM   #55

Nov 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuruAskew View Post
I got my not-delayed MOD release of More American Graffiti today. They actually paid for overnight UPS Saturday Delivery.

Itís like the other Universal MOD titles: the slightly poorer-quality insert printing, the plain black disc art and minimal menus. In fact, the menu is nothing more than ďsubtitles on/subtitles off.Ē

Iím just about to start a double-feature viewing of both movies.
How does the movie look compared to the DVD?
Old 06-21-2018, 09:10 PM   #56
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010

I only watched MAG on DVD once about probably at least 10 years ago (on the double feature disc) and I had only seen it maybe once on television before that so I don’t think my comparison would be valid at all.

It seemed pretty clean except for the various opticals which did have a lot more instances of dirt and scratches which is to be expected.

Nothing was done to re-optimize the various aspect ratios for 16x9 display which means the 2.35:1 stuff is properly framed but the 1.33:1 and 1.85:1 stuff is completely surrounded by mattes.
Thanks given by:
Jonbaker (06-22-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 04:31 PM   #57

Nov 2017
New Braunfels, TX

Amazon, after saying it would ship in 1-3 months, now has it in stock. Crazy!
Old 07-03-2018, 11:36 PM   #58
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2007
KIC8462852

One of few from the Lucasfilm library I haven’t seen. Glad it has been released on blu-ray.

I’m surprised that all the aspect ratios confined within the 2.35:1 frame. They should’ve the 1.78:1 frame opened up for 1.37:1 and 1.85:1.

George Lucasí Star Wars Saga: 1977-2012
Thanks given by:
badfingerboogie (07-04-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 09:02 AM   #59
Expert Member

Jun 2013
Sydney, Australia

I never got around to grabbing the UK edition, and now it seems to be out of print. Bit of a bummer, but no huge loss I guess.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:29 AM   #60
Blu-ray Guru

May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiman04 View Post
One of few from the Lucasfilm library I havenít seen. Glad it has been released on blu-ray.

Iím surprised that all the aspect ratios confined within the 2.35:1 frame. They shouldíve the 1.78:1 frame opened up for 1.37:1 and 1.85:1.

It switches ratios?
DOLBY Ambisonic
Razer The Audience is Listening
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America