Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$112.49
 
Ringu Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99
 
Chernobyl (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Batman Beyond: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$69.99
 
Farscape: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
 
Doctor Sleep 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Ad Astra 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
X-Men: Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
4 hrs ago
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.99
 
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$40.00
 
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$27.97
 
The Secret Life of Pets 2 (Blu-ray)
$12.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2019, 09:30 PM   #541
Hawkmonger Hawkmonger is offline
Active Member
 
Hawkmonger's Avatar
 
Apr 2015
1
2652
1642
Default

Anyone confirm region coding?

I know the box says A but this is Mill Creek so...
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:08 PM   #542
jboss jboss is offline
Member
 
Oct 2009
3
Default

Just popped in the first discs of both Ultra Q and Ultraman.

Ultra Q is beautiful.

Ultraman is rough looking for sure. If the Japanese release is also rough, I guess we can't blame Mill Creek. But it is a bit disappointing. This is definitely not a 35mm vs 16mm issue. There's something digital afoot here. I'm not surprised people are assuming it's an upscale. It looks like one. It may not be an upscale and may just be that the HD master was heavily manipulated digitally with edge enhancement, DNR, and poor compression before it ever got into Mill Creek's hands. (Again, assuming the Japanese release was similar)

It's definitely watchable and likely looks much better than the current DVDs being upscaled. But it's disappointing considering how good Ultra Q looks. Even at 16mm we should be seeing much better results (I dig a grainy ass 16mm film!)
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bongozoid (10-15-2019), dr. wai (10-16-2019), omgitsgodzilla (10-16-2019), StarDestroyer52 (10-16-2019), The Great Owl (10-15-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 10:53 PM   #543
bongozoid bongozoid is offline
Senior Member
 
Jul 2014
148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboss View Post
Just popped in the first discs of both Ultra Q and Ultraman.

Ultra Q is beautiful.

Ultraman is rough looking for sure. If the Japanese release is also rough, I guess we can't blame Mill Creek. But it is a bit disappointing. This is definitely not a 35mm vs 16mm issue. There's something digital afoot here. I'm not surprised people are assuming it's an upscale. It looks like one. It may not be an upscale and may just be that the HD master was heavily manipulated digitally with edge enhancement, DNR, and poor compression before it ever got into Mill Creek's hands. (Again, assuming the Japanese release was similar)

It's definitely watchable and likely looks much better than the current DVDs being upscaled. But it's disappointing considering how good Ultra Q looks. Even at 16mm we should be seeing much better results (I dig a grainy ass 16mm film!)
Cool thanks for confirming that.
Disappointing, considering how good the Japanese blu-rays look, but Mill Creek gonna Mill Creek, I guess.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:18 PM   #544
blackadder213 blackadder213 is offline
Active Member
 
blackadder213's Avatar
 
Sep 2010
28
298
Default

I just watched the first episode of the second series and I thought it looked quite good.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:32 PM   #545
starsteam starsteam is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
starsteam's Avatar
 
Sep 2015
Alabama
88
2701
2598
823
46
31
222
Default

Ultra Q looks fine.
Ultraman doesn't look as good, but it's way better than the DVDs. I don't think it's a upscale, and it looks better in motion than it does from screengrabs.
It's a affordable release in good packaging, and your only other option are OOP unauthorized inferior DVD releases or expensive imports that probably look the same.

I'll be pretty interested in direct comparisons from someone who owns the Japanese release, but I'm suspecting there won't be much difference between them.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bongozoid (10-15-2019), flat_earth7 (10-16-2019), Garada (10-15-2019), sa5150 (10-21-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 11:40 PM   #546
bongozoid bongozoid is offline
Senior Member
 
Jul 2014
148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsteam View Post
Ultra Q looks fine.
Ultraman doesn't look as good, but it's way better than the DVDs. I don't think it's a upscale, and it looks better in motion than it does from screengrabs.
It's a affordable release in good packaging, and your only other option are OOP unauthorized inferior DVD releases or expensive imports that probably look the same.

I'll be pretty interested in direct comparisons from someone who owns the Japanese release, but I'm suspecting there won't be much difference between them.
Thanks - appreciate the response.
I'm still looking forward to mine arriving and have no doubt they're better than what's been previously available.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:45 PM   #547
starsteam starsteam is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
starsteam's Avatar
 
Sep 2015
Alabama
88
2701
2598
823
46
31
222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongozoid View Post
Cool thanks for confirming that.
Disappointing, considering how good the Japanese blu-rays look, but Mill Creek gonna Mill Creek, I guess.
Comparing what I saw with those screenshots posted a couple of pages back, they honestly look the same. You can easily pick out better and worse looking shots from this transfer. I can't tell if they're 100% identical but I do believe they're from the same source.

Whether or not Mill Creek did any tinkering to lessen the picture is going to depend on the results of a direct comparison with the Japanese release.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bongozoid (10-15-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 11:54 PM   #548
BPW2016 BPW2016 is offline
Active Member
 
BPW2016's Avatar
 
Jun 2017
Default

Got both of these in the mail today. Haven't checked out Ultraman yet but Ultra Q looks great.

Also, for those who were asking about region coding, my machine was still set to Zone B only at the time and the Ultra Q discs played just fine.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Morriford (10-16-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 11:58 PM   #549
bongozoid bongozoid is offline
Senior Member
 
Jul 2014
148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsteam View Post
Comparing what I saw with those screenshots posted a couple of pages back, they honestly look the same. You can easily pick out better and worse looking shots from this transfer. I can't tell if they're 100% identical but I do believe they're from the same source.

Whether or not Mill Creek did any tinkering to lessen the picture is going to depend on the results of a direct comparison with the Japanese release.
Yeah I wasn't too unhappy with those screenshots, to be honest. I thought some looked pretty good and figured in motion it would be fine.

I've got a week or so before mine arrive, so I am sure I'll read so many negative comments on here in that time that I'll think they look amazing when I finally get to see them
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:05 AM   #550
Morriford Morriford is offline
Active Member
 
Morriford's Avatar
 
Mar 2009
Dublin
69
2046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPW2016 View Post
Got both of these in the mail today. Haven't checked out Ultraman yet but Ultra Q looks great.

Also, for those who were asking about region coding, my machine was still set to Zone B only at the time and the Ultra Q discs played just fine.
.thanks for this you absolute hero!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:23 AM   #551
twozbar twozbar is offline
Active Member
 
Oct 2016
Default

Screencap comparison of the 2013 Bandai Visual blu-ray set (https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00BLWNH38) and the 2019 Mill Creek Entertainment blu-ray set.

Mill Creek


Bandai Visual


Mill Creek


Bandai Visual


Mill Creek


Bandai Visual


Mill Creek


Bandai Visual


Mill Creek


Bandai Visual

Last edited by twozbar; 10-17-2019 at 12:56 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Automaton-X (10-24-2019), Mike0284 (10-18-2019), pEgLeG (10-18-2019), reason108 (10-18-2019), sa5150 (10-21-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 11:31 AM   #552
twozbar twozbar is offline
Active Member
 
Oct 2016
Default

More screencaps

Mill Creek


Bandai Visual


Mill Creek


Bandai Visual


Mill Creek


Bandai Visual


Mill Creek


Bandai Visual


Mill Creek


Bandai Visual

Last edited by twozbar; 10-17-2019 at 12:58 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Automaton-X (10-24-2019), bongozoid (10-16-2019), Mike0284 (10-18-2019), pEgLeG (10-18-2019), sa5150 (10-21-2019), starsteam (10-16-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 11:46 AM   #553
starsteam starsteam is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
starsteam's Avatar
 
Sep 2015
Alabama
88
2701
2598
823
46
31
222
Default

The colors look slightly tweaked on the MC release, a little darker (which looks better IMO).
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:43 PM   #554
robliodan robliodan is offline
Member
 
robliodan's Avatar
 
Aug 2019
24
Default

The links aren't working for me. I can't see the images.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Filmfan73 (10-16-2019), JEDGAR1000 (10-17-2019), kstebor (10-16-2019), Matt_Murdock (10-16-2019), Mysteron Mayhem (10-16-2019), sagadego (10-16-2019), Zillamon51 (10-16-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 01:46 PM   #555
Blu Titan Blu Titan is offline
Super Moderator
 
Blu Titan's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai
42
29
2726
2
92
Default

Just started watching this series and its a lot of fun . Wife is def NOT impressed .
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:47 PM   #556
jboss jboss is offline
Member
 
Oct 2009
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robliodan View Post
The links aren't working for me. I can't see the images.
Same here
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Blu Titan (10-16-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 01:48 PM   #557
Blu Titan Blu Titan is offline
Super Moderator
 
Blu Titan's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai
42
29
2726
2
92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboss View Post
Same here
Ultraman looks great take my word for it .
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Automaton-X (10-24-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 01:58 PM   #558
jboss jboss is offline
Member
 
Oct 2009
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Titan View Post
Ultraman looks great take my word for it .
I have the Mill Creek disc and know what it looks like... I was more curious to see the comparison to the Japanese BD to see if it was any better. Based on the comments of others - it sounds like it wasn't, so Mill Creek did the best with what they had. It's very watchable
- and at roughly $21-$28 depending on the store and edition, it's a hell of a deal for 39 episodes. Just a bit disappointed at the quality drop from Ultra Q as I was expecting something a bit more filmic (even accounting for the added grain and clarity loss of going from 35mm to 16mm).

To add to my earlier post, I wouldn't dissuade anyone from buying this - it's an imperfect presentation, but it's the best we're likely to get for a LONG time and it is very watchable. Based on screenshots of the old DVDs, it does indeed look MUCH better.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:07 PM   #559
omgitsgodzilla omgitsgodzilla is offline
Active Member
 
Mar 2013
105
Default

I'm four episodes into Ultra Q; I'm definitely hearing the new sound effects people are mentioning but they're not as intrusive as I feared. Obviously the original mix would be a lot better, but I was worried we'd be getting something like VCI's "Widescreen Destruction Edition" Gorgo DVD where cheap sound effects are used to fill out a surround mix, or a mix that was totally remade from the ground up. This sounds like it's mostly the original mix with some reasonably good new effects added -- mostly things crumbling and being crushed. The worst parts to me are the attempts to add some extra punch to the classic Toho gunshot sounds.

Overall not ideal, and I wish the original soundtrack was included, but what's on the discs is more than listenable.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:22 PM   #560
flat_earth7 flat_earth7 is offline
Member
 
flat_earth7's Avatar
 
Jun 2017
6
1044
520
Default

I managed to get up to disc 3 in Ultra Q and the first episode on that disc sputtered and then froze a few minutes in - anyone else have trouble with disc 3?

--Other than that, I'm loving this! The packaging, and the picture quality on Ultra Q is awesome. I sampled a bit from the Ultraman, did a few stops to see frames in the first episode, and while not as detailed as UQ, it's a step up from the dvds for sure. There's a LOT of enjoyment to be had here, and the price is phenomenal. They chose not to try and over-compress them onto fewer discs, which had been their downfall in many past releases. Someone at Mill Creek has a deep love for Japanese monsters. The Mothra steelbook, Daimajin... and these now. Thank you Mill Creek!

Last edited by flat_earth7; 10-16-2019 at 03:27 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:52 PM.