Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99
1 day ago
Rise of the Guardians 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.70
6 hrs ago
Arthur Christmas 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.73

Taza, Son of Cochise 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.99
1 day ago
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99
1 day ago
Wonder Woman 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.58

The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99
1 day ago
The Legend of Hercules 3D (Blu-ray)
$6.96
1 day ago
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.99

Shazam! 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Wings of the Hawk 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.82

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D Players

Old 01-09-2018, 12:47 AM   #41

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

*Customizing the LG 3D OLED in the “native-3D” mode setup menu:

(LG OLED “3D mode”: “Manual” produces visual customization controls)

Manual” 3D parameter level settings:
3D Depth” should be set to (+20) and “3D Viewpoint” should be set to (-5)
Both settings provide precise plane-intersection alignment coordinates.
See picture below:
Attachment 189261

Auto-mode" needs to be set before exiting.
See picture below.
Attachment 189262

(Auto is visually superior for controlling parameter level increases that optimize 3D layering, blending the planes seamlessly and smoothing them out for consistent visual levels-in-space.)
Wow.. um, I'm not quite sure what the go is here as I've never experienced problems with 3D until now but doing this step makes my eyes feel like they're being torn out of my sockets or something. Eye strain perhaps? Not fully sure. All I know is that doing that step didn't really seem all that different apart from hurting my eyes and later giving me a headache of sorts.

So I just reset the 3D settings and it then put it back to Manual of 3D Depth +10 I think.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:21 PM   #42
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farron View Post
Wow.. um, I'm not quite sure what the go is here as I've never experienced problems with 3D until now but doing this step makes my eyes feel like they're being torn out of my sockets or something. Eye strain perhaps? Not fully sure. All I know is that doing that step didn't really seem all that different apart from hurting my eyes and later giving me a headache of sorts.

So I just reset the 3D settings and it then put it back to Manual of 3D Depth +10 I think.
What Blu-ray 3D title were you playing?

The 3D tweak involves both components that have FIVE setting adjustments.
To set the system back to default, you will have to set:

LG 3D OLED:
1) '3D Depth' to +10
2) '3D Viewpoint' to 0,
3) '3D Mode' to Manual

Oppo:
4) '3D Output' to AUTO
5) '2D->3D Depth' to 8.

Last edited by Paul H; 01-09-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:58 PM   #43
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farron View Post

Make sure when you change settings that the LG 3D OLED is not in 3D Conversion Mode!
Was a Blu-ray 3D movie playing where you were able to see the 3D feature while you entered the LG 3D setup menu?
Old 02-15-2018, 02:33 PM   #44

Feb 2012
Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScottyLee View Post
None of that would really be relevant if I hadn’t bought this 203 a couple weeks ago and I hadn’t been blessed with this excellent, excellent insight as to how it should be paired with my 2016 65” Oled. When done right this is a remarkable combination that renders my previous player, an Xbox, to worth nothing more than a doorstop LOL.
Wow, I'm intrigued. I have the same TV paired with an xbox one X now. I've been very impressed with the TV (I upgraded from an Mitsubishi DLP Active 3D). I saw the price on the Oppo and had a bit of sticker shock. But it sounds like it may be worth it to upgrade.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:34 PM   #45

Oct 2009
GA

So Paul, I have this exact setup and thinking about changing my settings to what you provide. Do we leave these settings as is for every 3D movie going forward? What does this do to movies that have excellent 3D like all the nwave titles?

If this makes 3D movies even better.. OMG! I would be in heaven!
Old 02-15-2018, 04:47 PM   #46

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarhead View Post
Wow, I'm intrigued. I have the same TV paired with an xbox one X now. I've been very impressed with the TV (I upgraded from an Mitsubishi DLP Active 3D). I saw the price on the Oppo and had a bit of sticker shock. But it sounds like it may be worth it to upgrade.
Which Mitsu DLP did you have ? I have a DLP set and love the 3D on it.

Too bad, I have always wanted a side by side comparison of the tech.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:15 PM   #47

Feb 2012
Tennessee

The WD 60638 60" with active glasses that required the additional box and transmitter. It was a great TV and we had a lot of fun with it. Back when it came out I greatly preferred the 3d on it to the other tvs in the showroom at HHGregg. I remember the salesman trying to push a Sony model that looked downright awful in 3d to me.

When it came time for a new lamp last year, I saw where LG was about to discontinue the 3d feature. The 4k and HDR buzz was going on and so I went to check them out. The LG OLEDs were beautiful! So when they went on sale I figured it was my last chance so I gave the Mitsubishi to my nephew and pulled the trigger on the LG. It was by far the largest TV purchase I had ever made and I was pretty nervous. After the setup and first viewing I can gladly say that I have no regrets.

In my opinion the 2D viewing is heads and shoulders above any TV that I've ever owned and the passive 3D is SUPER!!! On a side note the black levels are so dark you can't tell the TV is even on in a dark room when there is a black screen. That took away any frustration with black bars on the screen.
Thanks given by:
evoll (02-16-2018), MaxPower111 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 05:18 PM   #48

Feb 2012
Tennessee

If the Oppo can make the experience significantly better. It looks like I may need to fork out another chunk of cash.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:48 PM   #49
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckyllr View Post
So Paul, I have this exact setup and thinking about changing my settings to what you provide. Do we leave these settings as is for every 3D movie going forward? What does this do to movies that have excellent 3D like all the nwave titles?

If this makes 3D movies even better.. OMG! I would be in heaven!
For me, the perceived 3D layering on nwave titles stays just as strong, although I think noticeability is encouraged via aggressive stimulation from the additional tweak. (In that it is easier to see and identify).
Discussion argues a possible placebo affect, but I'm not going to go there at this time as it is the individual's personal experience.

Last edited by Paul H; 02-15-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Thanks given by:
ckyllr (02-16-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 12:54 PM   #50
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Tulsa, OK (but don't hold it against me!)

Quote:
*Customizing the LG 3D OLED in the “native-3D” mode setup menu:

(LG OLED “3D mode”: “Manual” produces visual customization controls)

Manual” 3D parameter level settings:
3D Depth” should be set to (+20) and “3D Viewpoint” should be set to (-5)
Both settings provide precise plane-intersection alignment coordinates.
See picture below:
Attachment 189261

Auto-mode" needs to be set before exiting.
See picture below.
Attachment 189262

(Auto is visually superior for controlling parameter level increases that optimize 3D layering, blending the planes seamlessly and smoothing them out for consistent visual levels-in-space.)
Forgive my ignorance here (and I do beg of you to speak to me like I’m a five year-old; as helpful as you are in the 3D threads and Geoff D is in the UHD ones, you both have a tendency to use technobabble and speak way over a lot of our heads), but it’s this last instruction that confuses me. I always interpreted these settings to basically mean “Manual: customize the 3D settings the way you want them; Auto: use the pre-set 3D values LG has chosen for you”. So doesn’t picking Auto at the very end mean the TV is now going to just ignore the Manual settings you just customized?
Old 02-17-2018, 03:52 PM   #51
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker View Post
I always interpreted these settings to basically mean “Manual: customize the 3D settings the way you want them; Auto: use the pre-set 3D values LG has chosen for you”. So doesn’t picking Auto at the very end mean the TV is now going to just ignore the Manual settings you just customized?
Per an LG agent:
"Manual sets the depth and convergence points manually" and "Auto sets the 3D parameter based on the signal".

(LG "3D Manual" settings at Default-or-Custom values while using the "3D Auto" setting)

"Manual settings" @ default, match "Auto" with the default-parameters.
But I'm finding "Manual" values @ tweak levels influences "Auto"-mode producing clearer visual image-via-disparity enhancement.

Is this a placebo effect?
3D perception is a personal experience . Using the "Manual" combination tweak and setting LG to "Auto" boosts 3D layering detection for me.

Either way, the Oppo tweak is beneficial
3D menu set to (Forced)
2D->3D Depth set to (16)
Old 02-26-2018, 02:48 PM   #52
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker View Post
So doesn’t picking Auto at the very end mean the TV is now going to just ignore the Manual settings you just customized?
I want to re-confirm my findings of the reference status for the component combination Parameter Calibration Adjustments described in the first post of this thread.

Every 3D blu-ray I've viewed since Filmmaker asked the above question, I have tested LG's 3D settings, choosing both manual with 3D values at default and Auto with 3D values @ 3D Depth +20, 3D Viewpoint -5; and I have to affirm without any doubt that Auto with manual settings at the extreme values visually highlight vital real-world depth cues that flattens out the ground surface as you see it go back in the Z-plane plus visually intensify's for-ground foliage & objects as pertinent frame-of-reference props that highlight the existing depth cues allowing the senses to perceive a 3D scene with greater real-world existence. With the multitude of times I have compared each specified setting to the same 3D scene-specific time-lines, I now want to state the component combination is a reference setting choice.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:57 AM   #53

Jun 2016
South Dakota

Quote:
I want to re-confirm my findings of the reference status for the component combination Parameter Calibration Adjustments described in the first post of this thread.

Every 3D blu-ray I've viewed since Filmmaker asked the above question, I have tested LG's 3D settings, choosing both manual with 3D values at default and Auto with 3D values @ 3D Depth +20, 3D Viewpoint -5; and I have to affirm without any doubt that Auto with manual settings at the extreme values visually highlight vital real-world depth cues that flattens out the ground surface as you see it go back in the Z-plane plus visually intensify's for-ground foliage & objects as pertinent frame-of-reference props that highlight the existing depth cues allowing the senses to perceive a 3D scene with greater real-world existence. With the multitude of times I have compared each specified setting to the same 3D scene-specific time-lines, I now want to state the component combination is a reference setting choice.
Paul would you also recommend the Oppo settings for a projector? I have a new HT2550 on the way and was curious on your thoughts.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:18 PM   #54
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiltzamania View Post
Paul would you also recommend the Oppo settings for a projector? I have a new HT2550 on the way and was curious on your thoughts.
I don't have a 3D projector setup, but yes, I would definitely use the Oppo 203 3D custom settings given the signal source potential, and then just asses and compare the results on screen.

(Setup Menu> 3D Setting: 3D Output > (Forced) and 2D->3D Depth > (16).
(“Forced” influences native-3D output levels).

Oppo 203 setup menu:
Oppo 203 3D settings.jpg
Thanks given by:
schiltzamania (03-21-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 03:05 AM   #55

Jun 2016
South Dakota

Quote:
I don't have a 3D projector setup, but yes, I would definitely use the Oppo 203 3D custom settings given the signal source potential, and then just asses and compare the results on screen.

(Setup Menu> 3D Setting: 3D Output > (Forced) and 2D->3D Depth > (16).
(“Forced” influences native-3D output levels).

Oppo 203 setup menu:
Attachment 195672
Paul I finally got around to doing this with my Oppo and projector and wow am I impressed.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (03-25-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 06:13 AM   #56

Apr 2018

Am currently reading this thread with eyes wide open - partly because I tweaked the 3D settings on my old LCD 3D LG TV to great effect, and can't believe I forgot to do so on my lovely new OLED.

However, could anyone posting in here explain why a $500 BluRay player is an essential part of the settings tweak? I was reading another thread earlier that stated all players should essentially be outputting an identical image/signal...
Old 04-06-2018, 12:22 AM   #57
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangestick View Post
Am currently reading this thread with eyes wide open - partly because I tweaked the 3D settings on my old LCD 3D LG TV to great effect, and can't believe I forgot to do so on my lovely new OLED.

However, could anyone posting in here explain why a $500 BluRay player is an essential part of the settings tweak? I was reading another thread earlier that stated all players should essentially be outputting an identical image/signal...
I don't know how a 3D player electronically resolves the 3D signal that creates what I judge as a reference experience, but I have found in adjusting the 3D settings of the Oppo that I get greater stimulation for my senses-of-visual-depth, and I have posted this as a heads-up for others who happen to have the equipment and want to give it a try.
I'm sorry that there is no guarantee I can give that you will get the same impressions, but just to try it if you have the opportunity.

Paul
Thanks given by:
TheScottyLee (04-26-2018), thestrangestick (04-24-2018), wildbill722 (04-10-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 03:14 PM   #58

Apr 2018

Thank you for your reply! I do not want to come off as cynical, it's merely that a player this expensive would be quite a large investment for me and I have to know it will be worthwhile, and a feature I could not replicate on any cheaper player. Any additional input from other forum members with this combination would be very welcome
Old 04-24-2018, 04:29 PM   #59
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangestick View Post
Thank you for your reply! I do not want to come off as cynical, it's merely that a player this expensive would be quite a large investment for me and I have to know it will be worthwhile, and a feature I could not replicate on any cheaper player. Any additional input from other forum members with this combination would be very welcome
FYI:
The Oppo BDP-103, 103D, 105, 105D, UDP-203 & 205, all have optimized 3D output ability via their "Setup Menu" when > "Video Setup" > "3D Output" > is set to "Forced" and "3D Setting" > "2D-> 3D Depth" is set to ”16.

The Oppo's Z-plane bitmap parameter seems to expand, allowing greater processing power for whatever native-3D information is present in the encoded video sources.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:43 PM   #60

Apr 2018

Quote:
FYI:
The Oppo BDP-103, 103D, 105, 105D, UDP-203 & 205, all have optimized 3D output ability via their "Setup Menu" when > "Video Setup" > "3D Output" > is set to "Forced" and "3D Setting" > "2D-> 3D Depth" is set to ”16.

The Oppo's Z-plane bitmap parameter seems to expand, allowing greater processing power for whatever native-3D information is present in the encoded video sources.
Paul,

Quick question: as suggested by the name (2D-3D depth) and confirmed in the Oppo 203 user manual, the 2D-3D depth setting is apparently supposed to only influence depth settings for the Oppo's 2d-3D conversion feature, so why would this affect native 3D playback?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D Players