Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Amazon Prime Day is Now Live »
Prime: Back to the Future: 30th Anniv… $14.99 (3 mins left)
Prime: The Bourne Ultimate Collection… $19.99 (71% claimed)
Prime: Halloween $9.99 (70% claimed)
Prime: Jurassic World: 5-Movie Collec… $26.99 (2 hours left)
Prime: Alfred Hitchcock: The Ultimate… $49.99 (1 hour left)
Prime: The Fifth Element 4K (20th Ann… $15.99 (43 mins left)
Prime: Jurassic Park Collection 4K (2… $29.99 (1 hour left)
Prime: Fighting with My Family (Direc… $12.99 (3 hours left)
Prime: Jurassic Park Collection 3D $19.99 (2 hours left)
Prime: Serenity 4K $11.99 (48 mins left)
Prime: Hans Zimmer: Live in Prague $17.11 (4 hours left)
Prime: Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle $10.00 (3 mins left)
Prime: K-ON Complete Collection Premi… $135.30 (4 hours left)
Prime: Léon: The Professional 4K $18.24 (4 hours left)
Prime: Spider-Man: Homecoming 3D $18.98 (5 hours left)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34
2 hrs ago
Stephen King's The Stand (Blu-ray)
$31.99
4 hrs ago
Alien: 6 Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

Overlord (Blu-ray)
$9.96
2 hrs ago
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$35.19
15 hrs ago
Die Hard Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Star Trek: Discovery - Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Bumblebee (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

The Mel Brooks Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Old 11-04-2018, 12:44 AM   #1
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Savannah, GA
Send a message via MSN to tommyboy81 Send a message via Yahoo to tommyboy81
Default Pioneer Elite VSX-LX303

Does anyone have this or know anything bout it? Thinking of getting this one because of the price I see from a place I know.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:52 PM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2012
Lincoln, NE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy81 View Post
Does anyone have this or know anything bout it? Thinking of getting this one because of the price I see from a place I know.
Did you end up buying this Receiver? I'm looking at upgrading this week and am torn between this Pioneer model or the Onkyo TX-NR787. They are essentially the same receiver though the Onkyo comes with THX Select II certification and a 2 year warranty vs. the Pioneer costing $50 less lacking THX certification of any kind, but coming with a 3 year warranty.

I currently have an older Onkyo from around 2010 that continues to serve me well and so a part of me feels like I should stick with what has worked (Onkyo brand), however I know I number of people like the Pioneer Elite line of products and I'm a bit more partial to the styling of the Pioneer LX303...

I'd be curious to hear what your thoughts are if you picked this one up and have ran it through its paces. At the moment I have Polk Audio TSI400 fronts with a Polk Audio TSI CS200 center and smaller rear surrounds, but am looking into picking up the full line of Klipsch Reference speakers in the future possibly and want to ensure that whatever I purchase now will sound great with either set of speakers later on.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:42 PM   #3

Apr 2011

I’m thinking of buying this one too. On sale for $399.00 at Amazon with Best Buy price match.
Thanks given by:
TripleHBK (05-11-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 01:30 AM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2012
Lincoln, NE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Capone View Post
I’m thinking of buying this one too. On sale for $399.00 at Amazon with Best Buy price match.
I ended up buying the Onkyo Tx-ZR830 for $499 from Amazon on Wednesday. It came out barely 1 year ago at a MSRP of $1399. It's a 9.2 channel receiver that has processing ability for 11 speakers if a person adds an external stereo Amp (which can be bought for around $200). This setup would allow for 7.2.4 Atmos setup. The 830 also includes THX certification which I liked and further customization.

I liked the idea of owning a Pioneer Elite product, but the Onkyo was what I was familiar with as I currently have an older Onkyo receiver, I wanted the THX certification, and I liked that the Onkyo had pre-outs allowing for further amplifcation.

Add on to the fact that Pioneer was purchased by Onkyo in 2015 and the LX303 and Tx-NR787 are basically identical for only $50 difference... I decided why not just go for the most bang for my buck and get the top of the line mid level 830. (The next step up on Onkyo receivers costs thousands and at that point I was looking at separates, so this instead should hopefully provide more than enough of everything for my needs.)

Amazon Link

Thanks given by:
Buster Capone (05-11-2019), Filmfan73 (06-12-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 03:10 AM   #5

Sep 2014

I was also looking at the two Onkyo models mentioned here.

The decision was made when I found an offer I could't refuse on the 787 ($550 Canadian).

While I sometimes think that I could have used the preouts with my old amp for a 7.1.4 setup, I know that it would not have been realistic for me to cram that many speakers into my modestly sized HT.

This is the first ONKYO that I have owned and I am very pleasantly surprised. I was looking to simply add height channels to my existing 7.1 setup. I could never have imagined what an upgrade ATMOS/DTS X would be!

I also think that the ONKYO setup procedure has wrung out the best performance from my existing PARADIGM monitor series speakers.
Thanks given by:
TripleHBK (05-11-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 04:41 PM   #6

Apr 2011

Decisions decisions.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:27 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2009
Virginia

I picked up the LX-303 a week ago but have yet to set it up. Price was my main drive for this model. I got an open box in perfect condition for $370 from Best Buy. I know Amazon had them for $399 new, but working toward my 'Elite' status ,lol. I considered an Onkyo, but I stuck with the Pioneer as I was trying to keep the price down. Good deal considering the retail price. I have yet hook it up as I've been busy and will have to revisit these pages when I do. I know what to expect as I currently have a Pioneer VSX-90. My wife will be wondering why I bought ANOTHER receiver as the current one is a 2015 model. My main reason for upgrading is the Dolby Vision capability (my current one came out with 4K capability not Dolby Vision as it was still new) and the 4K UltraHD 60P/4:4:4 is on all of the inputs and not just three. I currently have to run my video signal directly to my TV from my 4K player and my audio to my receiver. Because of this, I have to switch my TV over to HDMI 2 each time we watch a movie. Using this receiver, I should be able to route everything thru the receiver and not have to switch over my TV connection each time. Plus, I get more speaker connections and more power . The only thing I will miss is the Internet Radio set-up. Yes, they have Pandora, Tidal and others, but not vTuner (yes, it's older) which I like. Free stations from all over the world. The only saving grace to that is I found the station I usually listen to on an app and can stream it through my iPad to the receiver.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:49 PM   #8
Power Member

Jun 2010
Northwest, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgon View Post
I picked up the LX-303 a week ago but have yet to set it up. Price was my main drive for this model. I got an open box in perfect condition for $370 from Best Buy. I know Amazon had them for $399 new, but working toward my 'Elite' status ,lol. I considered an Onkyo, but I stuck with the Pioneer as I was trying to keep the price down. Good deal considering the retail price. I have yet hook it up as I've been busy and will have to revisit these pages when I do. I know what to expect as I currently have a Pioneer VSX-90. My wife will be wondering why I bought ANOTHER receiver as the current one is a 2015 model. My main reason for upgrading is the Dolby Vision capability (my current one came out with 4K capability not Dolby Vision as it was still new) and the 4K UltraHD 60P/4:4:4 is on all of the inputs and not just three. I currently have to run my video signal directly to my TV from my 4K player and my audio to my receiver. Because of this, I have to switch my TV over to HDMI 2 each time we watch a movie. Using this receiver, I should be able to route everything thru the receiver and not have to switch over my TV connection each time. Plus, I get more speaker connections and more power . The only thing I will miss is the Internet Radio set-up. Yes, they have Pandora, Tidal and others, but not vTuner (yes, it's older) which I like. Free stations from all over the world. The only saving grace to that is I found the station I usually listen to on an app and can stream it through my iPad to the receiver.
I picked up the LX103 last week from my Facebook Marketplace for $160. It's basically the same unit. The guy who was selling it just got this back in March at Best Buy for full retail. Not sure why he wanted to sell right after he got it. He said he only wanted it for the WIFI and Bluetooth. It's in mint condition but I have yet to set it up, still sitting in the box. Currently using my older Yamaha without Atmos or DTS-X. To say the least this should be a major upgrade to what I already have. And just like yourself my wife will probably ask why I got another one when the current one is perfectly fine. She doesn't understand the whole electronic thingy.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:10 AM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2009
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye1 View Post
I picked up the LX103 last week from my Facebook Marketplace for $160. It's basically the same unit. The guy who was selling it just got this back in March at Best Buy for full retail. Not sure why he wanted to sell right after he got it. He said he only wanted it for the WIFI and Bluetooth. It's in mint condition but I have yet to set it up, still sitting in the box. Currently using my older Yamaha without Atmos or DTS-X. To say the least this should be a major upgrade to what I already have. And just like yourself my wife will probably ask why I got another one when the current one is perfectly fine. She doesn't understand the whole electronic thingy.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:44 PM   #10

Mar 2012
Just recently moved to 5.1.4. Ave & 4K Blvd.

What's tommyboy81, long time. Well hopefully I can shed somewhat of a light (to an extent) on the subject (if I'm not to late).
I just recently bought the Pioneer Elite VSX-LX 503 (which is like a step up from the 303) and I'm happy with it. I like the MCACC room correction (but in all honesty, this is the 1st receiver I have that has it).
If you (or anyone of you) have any questions let me know and I will answer them for you.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers