Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: Peppermint $9.99 (94% claimed)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$43.99
11 hrs ago
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99
 
Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72
 
Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
20 min ago
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23
 
The Hills Have Eyes: Part II (Blu-ray)
$33.03
20 hrs ago
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64
 
Doctor Who: Colin Baker: Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$45.86
 
The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34
 
Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (Blu-ray)
$10.99
 
The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27
 
A Star Is Born (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > New Display Technologies


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2019, 01:47 PM   #4161
Auditor55 Auditor55 is offline
Special Member
 
Sep 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post
Can’t recall if I mentioned that one side of my C8 looks brighter than the other. LG replaced the panel yesterday and the uniformity looks pretty freakin’ good. That said, it didn’t take long for near black content to rear an ugly head and do some flashing, as is known to do. I thought the latest firmware crushed black to resolve that but... eh. I do have to run those break-in slides for a while yet though and LG has a better firmware in the works so, I’ll see what’s what when that occurs but... I’m kind of sick of the games with this TV.

Bought a new 65” Vizio M Quantum and it looks great. Uniformity is solid too. OLED will prolly hang in the living room now.
I thought you had sworn off of LED for good?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:31 PM   #4162
adamjankowski adamjankowski is offline
Active Member
 
adamjankowski's Avatar
 
Oct 2017
25
263
45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahby View Post
The B8 appears to be 999 maybe thats what he got instead
Yeah, which is so annoying as mine was more than that not long ago (and I got it for a deal at the time). The 55inch c8 is currently 1600 at Best Buy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:37 PM   #4163
mzupeman mzupeman is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
mzupeman's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
Upstate New York
203
1371
173
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post
I thought you had sworn off of LED for good?
Did I say that? I had a pretty awful experience with a number of Sony panels and the store basically said they’d do one final exchange as long as it was OLEDS, since they felt I’d always have some problem with LCD’s. So I went OLED and I do think the picture quality is outstanding. Minus the issue I had, of course.

But with the flashing issue and the black crush they’ve introduced, it’s been rather disappointing being an OLED owner. The next firmware is supposed to fix the gamma and also resolve the flashing stuff too but, we’ll see.

Anyway, OLED just made me realize there is zero thing as a perfect TV. And my wife has wanted a new tv for our living room anyway, because she wants to hang one on the wall and I refused to do it for a 10+ year old TV since it’d need to be replaced soonish anyway. So... got the Vizio, decided to try it out before deciding placement of the TV’s in my home... and it’s quite good. Very, very, very minor jailbars but you can only see them in straight white pattern testing and even then they don’t really stand out. No shadow blotches or anything else, not even darkened corners... so in the man cave it shall stay while the OLED will move elsewhere in the home.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:08 PM   #4164
oddbox83 oddbox83 is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
oddbox83's Avatar
 
Sep 2013
UK
Default

I feel the B8 is the better TV. The C8 might be technically better, but they really have messed the TV up in firmware.

Glad I went B8. Touch wood, no issues 7 months in.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
punisher (07-07-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 01:00 AM   #4165
jcs913 jcs913 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
jcs913's Avatar
 
Apr 2007
3
445
Default

As I stated I returned the open box and yes, the B8 was $999 and that was what I picked up. This is for my family room. I also have a 65" B6 in the main viewing area and have had ZERO problems with my panel after about 2.5 years. No burn in, banding and other OLED problems on that unit. Again, this was a floor model and there was ZERO risk in buying it. Thankfully, I know what burn-in is from my plasma days and recognized it right away. It was from being turned on to the demo all day. The price was right, so I took a shot. IIRC, plasma manufacturers also did not cover burn in on their plasma displays too, so this policy is nothing new. Common sense is always a best practice when purchasing tech.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:02 AM   #4166
jcs913 jcs913 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
jcs913's Avatar
 
Apr 2007
3
445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjankowski View Post
Yeah, which is so annoying as mine was more than that not long ago (and I got it for a deal at the time). The 55inch c8 is currently 1600 at Best Buy.
Yeah, the B8 for $999 was a price match to Amazon. I got lucky. It went down the same day I returned it. Fate worked out well for me. The C is not worth the extra $600 for a faster chip if you are primarily watching discs and Directv, which was where this set was going. .
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:20 PM   #4167
Auditor55 Auditor55 is offline
Special Member
 
Sep 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post
Did I say that? I had a pretty awful experience with a number of Sony panels and the store basically said they’d do one final exchange as long as it was OLEDS, since they felt I’d always have some problem with LCD’s. So I went OLED and I do think the picture quality is outstanding. Minus the issue I had, of course.

But with the flashing issue and the black crush they’ve introduced, it’s been rather disappointing being an OLED owner. The next firmware is supposed to fix the gamma and also resolve the flashing stuff too but, we’ll see.

Anyway, OLED just made me realize there is zero thing as a perfect TV. And my wife has wanted a new tv for our living room anyway, because she wants to hang one on the wall and I refused to do it for a 10+ year old TV since it’d need to be replaced soonish anyway. So... got the Vizio, decided to try it out before deciding placement of the TV’s in my home... and it’s quite good. Very, very, very minor jailbars but you can only see them in straight white pattern testing and even then they don’t really stand out. No shadow blotches or anything else, not even darkened corners... so in the man cave it shall stay while the OLED will move elsewhere in the home.
Black crush is a killer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:57 AM   #4168
mzupeman mzupeman is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
mzupeman's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
Upstate New York
203
1371
173
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post
Black crush is a killer.
Agreed. What they’ve done has even made certain dark video games like Bloodborne practically unplayable.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:23 PM   #4169
punisher punisher is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
punisher's Avatar
 
May 2010
MSG CHASE BRIDGE
2
148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs913 View Post
Yeah, the B8 for $999 was a price match to Amazon. I got lucky. It went down the same day I returned it. Fate worked out well for me. The C is not worth the extra $600 for a faster chip if you are primarily watching discs and Directv, which was where this set was going. .
too bad you missed out on the E8 for 999 last week from Beach camera....
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:15 AM   #4170
jcs913 jcs913 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
jcs913's Avatar
 
Apr 2007
3
445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher View Post
too bad you missed out on the E8 for 999 last week from Beach camera....
wouldn't have went for it anyways. I know many have ordered tv's from the internet, but I live in a major city and would always pick it up myself. Plenty of places to get it from. Frankly, not worth the hassle if something was wrong. Great price on the E8, as it is $1800 now. Strange since they are an authorized LG internet seller. I guess LG allows 'anything goes' once the new models come out. It would be nice if someone decided to go low on a 77". Then it would have my attention.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:14 PM   #4171
punisher punisher is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
punisher's Avatar
 
May 2010
MSG CHASE BRIDGE
2
148
Default

I got mine no hassle... double boxed for delivery.....the outer packaging was heavy, thick and padded. I paid 1149 for My E8 from Beach in Feb. Using them directly or their alternate site Buydig.com is very safe. Not like VE, but then what store is?...but better than BB with 60 day return , free shipping, no restocking or return shipping fees.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
jcs913 (07-08-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 08:22 PM   #4172
u2popmofo u2popmofo is offline
Active Member
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Jul 2018
Utah
31
374
40
Default

For those of you with a B8/C8/E8, what are you using for sharpness on UHD and HD material?

I've seen sites recommending a 10 setting, and some recommending 0. 10 seems fine for me for 1080p and below resolutions, but I'm often noticing a bit of distracting "over detail" on faces in UHD content. Watching Season 3 of Stranger Things in Dolby Vision, you'd think every actor on the show has a face comparable to the surface of the moon with sharpness set to 10.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:30 AM   #4173
jcs913 jcs913 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
jcs913's Avatar
 
Apr 2007
3
445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
For those of you with a B8/C8/E8, what are you using for sharpness on UHD and HD material?

I've seen sites recommending a 10 setting, and some recommending 0. 10 seems fine for me for 1080p and below resolutions, but I'm often noticing a bit of distracting "over detail" on faces in UHD content. Watching Season 3 of Stranger Things in Dolby Vision, you'd think every actor on the show has a face comparable to the surface of the moon with sharpness set to 10.
I have my B8 set to 0 on all UHD and blus. No need for any artificial extras when the source should already be fine. I take what the disc gives me.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
u2popmofo (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 08:33 AM   #4174
oddbox83 oddbox83 is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
oddbox83's Avatar
 
Sep 2013
UK
Default

0 regardless of source.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
u2popmofo (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 12:55 PM   #4175
shield80 shield80 is offline
Special Member
 
shield80's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
75
878
416
3
Default

same here 0
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
u2popmofo (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 04:24 PM   #4176
u2popmofo u2popmofo is offline
Active Member
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Jul 2018
Utah
31
374
40
Default

Thanks, guys! I'll drop it to 0 to compare.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:49 PM   #4177
Schwartzy Schwartzy is online now
Active Member
 
Mar 2017
Default

Wasnt 10 the point where tv doesnt blur or sharpen the image?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:20 AM   #4178
oddbox83 oddbox83 is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
oddbox83's Avatar
 
Sep 2013
UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartzy View Post
Wasnt 10 the point where tv doesnt blur or sharpen the image?
Different TVs do it differently, but with LG 0 is correct.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Schwartzy (07-17-2019), Wingman1977 (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 01:05 PM   #4179
punisher punisher is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
punisher's Avatar
 
May 2010
MSG CHASE BRIDGE
2
148
Default

unless your tv is pro calibrated use others settings and recommendations as a guide line and set your tv as to how you want it to look. With OLED there seems to be no right or wrong/rhyme or reason when you read what some have their tv's set to and are very happy. That being said..if you want a sharper image..go for it, no sense watching your set unhappily because you were told.."hey that's wrong"...
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
evoll (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 09:31 PM   #4180
shield80 shield80 is offline
Special Member
 
shield80's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
75
878
416
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartzy View Post
Wasnt 10 the point where tv doesnt blur or sharpen the image?
0 on LG is the correct setting
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Schwartzy (07-13-2019), Wingman1977 (07-12-2019)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > New Display Technologies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:42 PM.