Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: Metropolis $13.99 (4 hours left)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter: The Complete 8-Film Collection (DVD)
$27.99
 
Criminal Minds: Season 14 (DVD)
$27.96
 
Outlander: Season Four (DVD)
$22.39
 
North and South: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$16.96
7 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (DVD)
$17.99
 
The Walking Dead: The Complete Ninth Season (DVD)
$39.99
 
NCIS: Los Angeles: Season 10 (DVD)
$34.99
 
American Gods: Season Two (DVD)
$17.99
 
Pokémon: Detective Pikachu (DVD)
$17.99
 
Captain Marvel (DVD)
$18.35
 
Mayans M.C.: The Complete First Season (DVD)
$19.99
 
Missing Link (DVD)
$14.96
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2019, 02:02 AM   #261
BeastCreatureTrapper BeastCreatureTrapper is offline
Power Member
 
BeastCreatureTrapper's Avatar
 
Feb 2014
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britbuffguy View Post
TO try and see all theatrical releases of the year 1993, my pet side project, I've had to buy a stack of VHS tapes on Ebay to get some of the films in.

Soderbergh's KING OF THE HILL was the last one, but just snagged VOLERE VOLARE as well, coming later this week. Unsure what to do with them all now that I've watched them all....I know a few libraries near me still carry them, maybe they'd want them, since they don't have any media of those titles as is.
Curious, were you trying to see all the movies from your birth year? I am somewhat doing that on my end. The bad news is that my birth year is so far back that I'm slightly embarrassed to admit it. The good news is that my birth year is so far back that they just weren't making/releasing as many movies theatrically like they are now.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:01 AM   #262
Crispy Noodle Crispy Noodle is offline
Active Member
 
Crispy Noodle's Avatar
 
Sep 2012
Minnesota
8
2658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britbuffguy View Post
TO try and see all theatrical releases of the year 1993, my pet side project, I've had to buy a stack of VHS tapes on Ebay to get some of the films in.

Soderbergh's KING OF THE HILL was the last one, but just snagged VOLERE VOLARE as well, coming later this week. Unsure what to do with them all now that I've watched them all....I know a few libraries near me still carry them, maybe they'd want them, since they don't have any media of those titles as is.
I think there's a very good possibility that Volere Volare was the last laserdisc I bought (certainly one of the last few). A local audio/video shop was clearancing their LD inventory for $5 and under. I enjoy the film a lot.

I'm certain the last VHS tape I bought was Treasure of the Moon Goddess, because I bought it long after I stopped buying tapes, and I was a Beta guy anyway so only bought a handful of VHS. It's a Linnea Quigley movie that I don't believe had a release in any other format. Unfortunately, it's one of her least entertaining and no nudity.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:40 PM   #263
JamesG. JamesG. is offline
Expert Member
 
Jul 2012
Default

I got these $0.50 VHS tapes at thrift store near me:


Desert Hearts






LadyHawke (1985)






The Sure Thing (1985)

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:23 PM   #264
TheSpruceMoose TheSpruceMoose is offline
Active Member
 
TheSpruceMoose's Avatar
 
Jun 2019
Default

Got these at a goodwill for 1$ each, which will make worthy additions to my interior retro showcase display.




I actually enjoy watching Evil Dead in this analogue format. It helps strengthens the low budget qualities in it, makes it all the more unsettling now that you can't notice those rubber hoses as easily.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (07-12-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 11:49 PM   #265
HorrorBlu HorrorBlu is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
HorrorBlu's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
1716
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpruceMoose View Post
Got these at a goodwill for 1$ each, which will make worthy additions to my interior retro showcase display.


I actually enjoy watching Evil Dead in this analogue format. It helps strengthens the low budget qualities in it, makes it all the more unsettling now that you can't notice those rubber hoses as easily.
That's because it's the cleaned up Anchor Bay VHS from the late '90s.

The HBO VHS from the '80s is like staring at a black screen for 90 minutes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:55 PM   #266
TheSpruceMoose TheSpruceMoose is offline
Active Member
 
TheSpruceMoose's Avatar
 
Jun 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorBlu View Post
That's because it's the cleaned up Anchor Bay VHS from the late '90s.

The HBO VHS from the '80s is like staring at a black screen for 90 minutes.
Really, that's funny because that's actually the one I was hoping to run into.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:29 PM   #267
JamesG. JamesG. is offline
Expert Member
 
Jul 2012
Default

I went to Goodwill and found The Rise of Neneh Cherry (1992).

Not released on DVD.


  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:22 AM   #268
BeastCreatureTrapper BeastCreatureTrapper is offline
Power Member
 
BeastCreatureTrapper's Avatar
 
Feb 2014
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpruceMoose View Post
Really, that's funny because that's actually the one I was hoping to run into.
It's not that bad, actually. I have the second-issued HBO VHS tape of The Evil Dead (in the cardboard sleeve instead of the original clamshell), but would love that first-issue.

I was also disappointed to learn that the second-run of The Evil Dead by HBO on VHS already has that damn Macrovision on it, so I can't (easily) rip it from the VHS.

Last edited by BeastCreatureTrapper; 07-12-2019 at 12:32 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:26 AM   #269
BeastCreatureTrapper BeastCreatureTrapper is offline
Power Member
 
BeastCreatureTrapper's Avatar
 
Feb 2014
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG. View Post
I went to Goodwill and found The Rise of Neneh Cherry (1992).

Not released on DVD.


Looking around, that's a pretty good score! It doesn't look like it's up on eBay that often and YouTube, the home of nearly everything forgotten, only has this clip from the release:

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:18 AM   #270
JamesG. JamesG. is offline
Expert Member
 
Jul 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastCreatureTrapper View Post
Looking around, that's a pretty good score! It doesn't look like it's up on eBay that often and YouTube, the home of nearly everything forgotten, only has this clip from the release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf9JTgmpOCE

I see that the video is available in multiple uploads on Vimeo. I have to admit that I never heard of this artist until I spotted the VHS at random.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
BeastCreatureTrapper (07-12-2019)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:01 AM.