Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$112.49

The Jerk (Blu-ray)
$4.99
1 hr ago
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Rambo: Last Blood (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.30

RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$27.97

La Poison (Blu-ray)
$17.24
4 hrs ago
Chernobyl (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Farscape: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$40.00

Angel Has Fallen (Blu-ray)
$19.96
6 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 12:15 AM   #21
Power Member

May 2015
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWFORD View Post
Probably not the best article to link to.

But, there was this:

Also, we all must keep in mind this article was written in Jan 2015, based on a study conducted in 2014, we are now half way through 2016. We all know that several mass shootings and other violent crimes have occured since. Of course violent crimes have decreased overall over the centuries, but to say the country (or the world) is more peaceful given light of recent events (i.e. Brexit, Orlando night club shooting, Baghdad car bombing that killed 200, etc.) seems rather ignorant.

But, I still agree with your overarching point of view, it's not my fault (millenial).
I'm not saying that we've achieved world peace or anything close to it, but the progress we've made is remarkable and definitely far beyond where it has ever been. Twenty years ago we had the LA riots, middle east bombings (which haven't stopped since), Oklahoma City bombing, and the war on drugs. Almost fifty years ago we had Vietnam, the Civil Rights movement, and a missile crisis that was extremely close to causing a global nuclear war. Roughly seventy years ago was a war fought on a global scale with nations from three different continents involved. It introduced some of the most devastating weapons known to man and the things that the Nazis and Japanese military did to the Jews and Chinese was unfathomably evil. A hundred years ago, Europe collapsed into a global war that introduced freaking mustard gas and other conventional weaponry, and had some of the highest death toll battles in history.

This basically covers only the basics of what happened during our parents, our grandparents, our great-grandparents, and our great-great-grandparents generations. We could go further back, but it only gets worse. If you look at history of just the past hundred years of our world, we've improved tremendously from where we were. There's always going to be violence and conflict, it's not likely going to change anytime soon, but we've come so far on a global scale. Less wars are being fought (with lower death tolls) and violent crimes in our country have decreased tremendously. Just because our generation hasn't reached world peace doesn't mean we haven't taken a step ahead of our previous generation, just as they took a leap ahead of the generation before them. It would be foolish to believe the next generation (and the next after them) won't do a better job given the trend of how humanity has progressed throughout history.

Thanks given by:
dancerslegs (07-17-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 12:31 AM   #22
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Winnipeg, Canada

Quote:

Also, we all must keep in mind this article was written in Jan 2015, based on a study conducted in 2014, we are now half way through 2016. We all know that several mass shootings and other violent crimes have occured since. Of course violent crimes have decreased overall over the centuries, but to say the country (or the world) is more peaceful given light of recent events (i.e. Brexit, Orlando night club shooting, Baghdad car bombing that killed 200, etc.) seems rather ignorant.
In fact it's rather true and to argue otherwise is rather ignorant.

The U.S. has a population of 320,000,000. People sometimes forget how big it is.

The harsh truth is that a few mass shootings are statistically insignificant. I know that is a politcally incorrect thing to say. We are all very touchy-feely and hard truths aren't popular. But in a population of 320 million people, a few mass shootings don't make a blip. Chicago alone has 400 to 500 murders a year.

And I'm not sure why you lumped "Brexit" in with, " Orlando night club shooting, Baghdad car bombing that killed 200". I think you don't know what Brexit means.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:33 AM   #23
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby is Q View Post
I'm not saying that we've achieved world peace or anything close to it, but the progress we've made is remarkable and definitely far beyond where it has ever been. Twenty years ago we had the LA riots, middle east bombings (which haven't stopped since), Oklahoma City bombing, and the war on drugs. Almost fifty years ago we had Vietnam, the Civil Rights movement, and a missile crisis that was extremely close to causing a global nuclear war. Roughly seventy years ago was a war fought on a global scale with nations from three different continents involved. It introduced some of the most devastating weapons known to man and the things that the Nazis and Japanese military did to the Jews and Chinese was unfathomably evil. A hundred years ago, Europe collapsed into a global war that introduced freaking mustard gas and other conventional weaponry, and had some of the highest death toll battles in history.

This basically covers only the basics of what happened during our parents, our grandparents, our great-grandparents, and our great-great-grandparents generations. We could go further back, but it only gets worse. If you look at history of just the past hundred years of our world, we've improved tremendously from where we were. There's always going to be violence and conflict, it's not likely going to change anytime soon, but we've come so far on a global scale. Less wars are being fought (with lower death tolls) and violent crimes in our country have decreased tremendously. Just because our generation hasn't reached world peace doesn't mean we haven't taken a step ahead of our previous generation, just as they took a leap ahead of the generation before them. It would be foolish to believe the next generation (and the next after them) won't do a better job given the trend of how humanity has progressed throughout history.
You seem to have conveniently forgotten the Iraq War, Boston marathon bombing, Sandy Hook school shooting, Israeli-Palestinian conflict, and others, but that's fine you are trying to prove a point. And, I agree, things have improved, I just don't think it's to the point where we should be patting ourselves on the back. Agree to disagree. Please don't waste anymore time typing lengthy responses.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:14 AM   #24
Power Member

Jan 2016

@op: No, young people don't know what the hell they're talking about. #George Bernard Shaw

Old 07-14-2016, 11:47 AM   #25
Power Member

May 2015
-
-

Quote:
You seem to have conveniently forgotten the Iraq War, Boston marathon bombing, Sandy Hook school shooting, Israeli-Palestinian conflict, and others, but that's fine you are trying to prove a point. And, I agree, things have improved, I just don't think it's to the point where we should be patting ourselves on the back. Agree to disagree. Please don't waste anymore time typing lengthy responses.
Didn't conveniently forget. The total death toll is a fraction compared to where it has been during other periods of time. Despite how bad things can be at times, believing we currently go through some of the worst tragedies is egocentric and ignorant if you compare it to some of the things people have had to go through for hundreds, thousands of years. I'll gladly stop typing responses if you're going to completely ignore fact.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:00 PM   #26
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2012
Denmark

What's a disallusion?

Old 07-14-2016, 01:37 PM   #27
Power Member

May 2015
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post
What's a disallusion?
Something that's not referred to or suggested? I dunno, I just didn't care about the misspelling.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:52 PM   #28
Expert Member

Nov 2011
cyberspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby is Q View Post
Something that's not referred to or suggested? I dunno, I just didn't care about the misspelling.
I was going to reply with, a typo I guess. I wrote this during some major down time at work, which I have a lot of on Mondays and was just kind of I don't know rambling.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:22 PM   #29
Expert Member

Jan 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post

And I'm not sure why you lumped "Brexit" in with, " Orlando night club shooting, Baghdad car bombing that killed 200". I think you don't know what Brexit means.
Possibly because an MP was killed. Getting back on topic though, I am sure every generation will blame the one following it but fail to see that they ended up creating it (parents,children and so on).

As for the problems around the world, I think it is getting worse but that might have to do with the total population crossing the 7.4 billion mark.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:17 PM   #30
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2013

Why millennials arenít going to solve the nationís massive racial divides

Old 07-14-2016, 06:31 PM   #31
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post
In fact it's rather true and to argue otherwise is rather ignorant.

The U.S. has a population of 320,000,000. People sometimes forget how big it is.

The harsh truth is that a few mass shootings are statistically insignificant. I know that is a politcally incorrect thing to say. We are all very touchy-feely and hard truths aren't popular. But in a population of 320 million people, a few mass shootings don't make a blip. Chicago alone has 400 to 500 murders a year.

Violent incidents such as school shootings and nightclub shootings make the news and in this era of social media, we are saturated with coverage so it gives people the sense that the world is getting worse because in the past a nightclub shooting in Florida might not have had as much of an impact on a person living in the Pacific Northwest other than a story on that evening's news.

Overall trends are not as sexy so people don't notice the fact that in general, things are becoming more peaceful and less violent.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:55 PM   #32
Banned

Sep 2014
Vegas

Is there something mentioned in the article that you wish to discuss, or is this another example of you just posting links to articles you clearly haven't actually read?

Thanks given by:
Optimus (07-19-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 01:09 AM   #33
Expert Member

Nov 2011
cyberspace

sorry I brought it up.

Thanks given by:
Will. (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 04:14 AM   #34
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2013