Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$19.99
7 hrs ago
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$112.49

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.30
18 hrs ago
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$27.97

Farscape: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Rambo: Last Blood (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Chernobyl (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Ringu Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The Hunger Games: Complete 4-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
22 hrs ago
Batman Beyond: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$69.99

The Wizard (Blu-ray)
$19.31

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Old 04-03-2010, 02:15 AM   #21
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpz View Post
It cost $1400 buck to do it all myself. I know sod installers, and they'll charge like $2000 just for labour.

How big is your yard?
Not sure; my guess is around 600-700 sq. ft. Yours?
Old 04-03-2010, 04:09 AM   #22
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009
Winnipeg, MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivatePixel View Post
Not sure; my guess is around 600-700 sq. ft. Yours?
My lot is 130 x 42. The back yard is probably 42 x 40.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:06 AM   #23
Community Gaming Moderator

Mar 2009
Jacksonville, FL

Last week. I spent Monday-Wednesday after work on the yard. Pulled tons of weeds, raked the dead grass, and mowed. At the end of the little project. I used up 6 bags full of dead grass, weeds, and leaves. Lots of work. Never had so many weeds, and the cold temps have actually prevented the grass from getting green when it's supposed to be green this time around.

That's the hardest part. Now from May - October, I'll be mowing the grass every week in this hot humid weather.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:29 PM   #24
Michael Bay's #1 Fan

Aug 2008
Wisconsin PSNetwork: Blu-Benny

i usually rake the lawn every spring but am feeling really lazy this year.

i'm just gonna lower the mower a notch and mow it and bag everything to get rid of the dead grass.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #25
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

I would say by next weekend I will have to mow the lawn for the first time this year......lawn plus the backyard takes about 2 hrs
Old 04-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #26
Michael Bay's #1 Fan

Aug 2008
Wisconsin PSNetwork: Blu-Benny

just got done mowing the lawn!!! bagged everything, lowered the deck down low enough to pick up all of the dead grass and leaves, yard looks pretty good!!!
Old 04-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #27
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Grandville MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Benny View Post
just got done mowing the lawn!!! bagged everything, lowered the deck down low enough to pick up all of the dead grass and leaves, yard looks pretty good!!!
Yeah Benny-I knew you'd show up sooner or later!
Old 04-03-2010, 09:23 PM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009

Why do people bag/collect grass clippings when they mow? Never understood that. We have not done that in like 15 years. Everything just gets cut up and disappears. It's all mulched back in. No lines, clumps or anything.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Grandville MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicon View Post
Why do people bag/collect grass clippings when they mow? Never understood that. We have not done that in like 15 years. Everything just gets cut up and disappears. It's all mulched back in. No lines, clumps or anything.
I use a Toro bagger/mulcher-I believe that it uses a mulching blade that cuts the grass very fine and pushes some of the grass back down into the grass and bags the rest which I dump into our yardwaste container.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #30
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbig31 View Post
I use a Toro bagger/mulcher-I believe that it uses a mulching blade that cuts the grass very fine and pushes some of the grass back down into the grass and bags the rest which I dump into our yardwaste container.
That's cool. The only thing that gets raked up are leaves. No grass clippings at all. Everyone should have a mulching blade!
Old 04-03-2010, 09:43 PM   #31
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

I lugged compost, fertile soil and sand back and forth for almost 2 hours earlier, that should make my work shift a bit more fun.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #32
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Grandville MI

Quote:
That's cool. The only thing that gets raked up are leaves. No grass clippings at all. Everyone should have a mulching blade!
Yep, the're nice-grass, leaves doesn't matter picks them up just fine.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #33
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009

Quote:
Yep, the're nice-grass, leaves doesn't matter picks them up just fine.
Yup. If we stay on top of the leaves as far as using the mower and tractor, we don't have to rake. However if we let it get too far, we have to rake. It's just to much for the machines. Plus it looks bad with a half inch of chopped up leaf in the front yard.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #34
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Grandville MI

Quote:
Yup. If we stay on top of the leaves as far as using the mower and tractor, we don't have to rake. However if we let it get too far, we have to rake. It's just to much for the machines. Plus it looks bad with a half inch of chopped up leaf in the front yard.
I've found that if I stay disciplined and mow once a week it makes all the difference in the world. Mowing front/back = 1 hour; edging and weed wacking = 1/2 hour; clean up (mowers and such, sweeping etc.) = 10 min.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:25 PM   #35
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Grandville MI

1) Does anyone rinse off their mower after mowing? I try to.

2) Do you wear protective equipment/clothing while doing yardwork?
Old 04-03-2010, 10:42 PM   #36
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009

Quote:
1) Does anyone rinse off their mower after mowing? I try to.

2) Do you wear protective equipment/clothing while doing yardwork?

1 - No. I keep loose dirt, leaves, grass off of it. Although we should clean our riding lawnmower though. Poor thing has not been washed since we bought it. It's still as good as day one as far as performance though.

2 - No. I wear flip flops/sandals, shorts and a shirt. Nothing else. Even weed whacking, same thing. Although I might start wearing safety glasses though. Had a couple close calls. Last thing I want to loose is my sight.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:13 PM   #37
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Grandville MI

Quote:
1 - No. I keep loose dirt, leaves, grass off of it. Although we should clean our riding lawnmower though. Poor thing has not been washed since we bought it. It's still as good as day one as far as performance though.

2 - No. I wear flip flops/sandals, shorts and a shirt. Nothing else. Even weed whacking, same thing. Although I might start wearing safety glasses though. Had a couple close calls. Last thing I want to loose is my sight.
I wear shorts and shoes and sunglasses. I too have had a couple close calls weed whacking-got hit last year just below the eye with some debris!
Old 04-03-2010, 11:20 PM   #38
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009

Quote:
I wear shorts and shoes and sunglasses. I too have had a couple close calls weed whacking-got hit last year just below the eye with some debris!
Weed whacking can be very dangerous. I hate doing it. That's why I try and keep any weeds at bay with manual removal or use of natural chemicals. I use vinegar and water - 2:1 ratio as my spray. Works really good. You just have to apply it frequently.

We don't use chemicals inside or outside the home. Got rid of them years ago. Only natural solutions and I have to say, it's the best thing we ever did. The house "feels" cleaner without the cleaning chemicals. Go figure.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:07 AM   #39

Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....

Quote:
I have a Magnolia tree that I planted about 5 years ago and it is growing quite well. Now, last year I cut off some of the new "suckers" that have started growing-and this year they are back with a vengence. Is this something that I will have to cut back every year?
FYI, we learned the hard way........

There is a certain time of the year to prune a Magnolia (and a time NOT to...)

Pruning it at the wrong time will cause it to have far less blooms etc (for that year) won't kill it (fortunately) but will cause it to look "plain" or "sparse" for one season.......

Our Magnolia was so over-grown due to neglect from previous owners..... I thought "any pruning would be good pruning" WRONG! gotta do it at the right time of the year

So google is your friend if you decide you want to prune, dead-head, etc. something that you haven't done before (or move etc.... sometimes the 'shock' from the move isn't good for a plant's root structure)

P.S. I hate gardening..... we're having more topsoil brought in to 'level' out our backyard.....
Old 04-04-2010, 02:39 AM   #40
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009
Winnipeg, MB

Quote:
Because mulching isn't meant to be done on every mow. Spring and fall are ok to mulch, but in the summer, it's not so good. Also, if you always mulch, you increase the thatch (below the blade but above the root), too much thatch is detrimental to good growth. Then your power raking (dethatching) more often.

If you want an easy lawn, mulch, if you want a healthy lawn, mulch in the spring and fall and bag in the summer.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat