Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.00
5 hrs ago
X-Men: Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
6 hrs ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$15.00
6 hrs ago
The Secret Life of Pets 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
4 hrs ago
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Blade Runner 2049 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
6 hrs ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$15.00
6 hrs ago
The Hobbit: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$48.74
1 hr ago
My Bloody Valentine (Blu-ray)
$27.86
4 hrs ago
Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (Blu-ray)
$6.00
4 hrs ago
Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
2 hrs ago
Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$112.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Old 09-01-2015, 02:12 PM   #21
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engage
Is there anything else I can do to get my eyesight back to how it used to be?
Apart from trying to use your iPad less and using your long and mid distance vision a bit more to give your eyes a bit of a work out. I'm no expert, but it sounds like you've just got eyestrain and the brightness of an iPad or PC monitor for that matter can cause fatigue and the longer you use the devices the longer it takes for your eyes to bounce back to their normal operation.

You can help your symptoms by remembering to blink more (people blink less when using handheld devices) to help dry-eyes (which can damage your eyes) and use eye drops to moisten them. Also every 20 minutes or so you need to take a break from your iPad and focus on something 20 feet away for 20 seconds. The room lighting helps as well, more often or not the iPad will be used in dim lit rooms or have glare on the screen, you need to make sure the lighting is consistent and there's no glare hitting the screen. But staring at bright screens from a short distance is always going to fatigue your eyes eventually and people react differently to different types of displays.

But go and see your local optometrist, it's the safer thing to do (hopefully there's no lasting affect). Your eyestrain might be coinciding with a vision-change, so it's better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck anyway and let us know what the optometrist says.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:21 PM   #22
Special Member

Feb 2008
Cincinnati, OH

As others have suggested, you need to go see an Optometrist. Even if there's nothing wrong with your eyes it's a good idea to get an annual exam. They can detect early onset of diseases such as myopia, hyperopia, presbyopia, and even diabetes. They can also detect conditions such as astigmatism and cataracts which would severely impair your vision.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:59 PM   #23
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2010
UK

Its simple. Dont watch movies on tiny screens - I dont know why people do this anyway to be honest.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:49 AM   #24

Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
Apart from trying to use your iPad less and using your long and mid distance vision a bit more to give your eyes a bit of a work out. I'm no expert, but it sounds like you've just got eyestrain and the brightness of an iPad or PC monitor for that matter can cause fatigue and the longer you use the devices the longer it takes for your eyes to bounce back to their normal operation.

You can help your symptoms by remembering to blink more (people blink less when using handheld devices) to help dry-eyes (which can damage your eyes) and use eye drops to moisten them. Also every 20 minutes or so you need to take a break from your iPad and focus on something 20 feet away for 20 seconds. The room lighting helps as well, more often or not the iPad will be used in dim lit rooms or have glare on the screen, you need to make sure the lighting is consistent and there's no glare hitting the screen. But staring at bright screens from a short distance is always going to fatigue your eyes eventually and people react differently to different types of displays.

But go and see your local optometrist, it's the safer thing to do (hopefully there's no lasting affect). Your eyestrain might be coinciding with a vision-change, so it's better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck anyway and let us know what the optometrist says.
Thanks a heap for your reply!

Can anyone else please confirm if this information is true?
Old 09-02-2015, 01:14 PM   #25

Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDiGriz View Post
Its simple. Dont watch movies on tiny screens - I dont know why people do this anyway to be honest.
What's wrong with using a small screen for movies? The iPad Mini has a pretty good screen so the video quality of the movies is great.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:27 PM   #26
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engage View Post
What's wrong with using a small screen for movies? The iPad Mini has a pretty good screen so the video quality of the movies is great.
There's nothing wrong with casual viewings on an iPad, but some of the worlds greatest directors would actually get upset if they knew they're movies were watched only on small screens, they're designed for the largest screens as possible. There was even talk a few years back before iPads became so popular to try and get studios to limit the devices movies were viewable on, the directors feared that all their hard work would end up on wristwatches and they didn't want that to happen.

Now digital copies and iTunes is huge business, so no directors' going to turn down extra income.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:07 AM   #27

Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
There's nothing wrong with casual viewings on an iPad, but some of the worlds greatest directors would actually get upset if they knew they're movies were watched only on small screens, they're designed for the largest screens as possible. There was even talk a few years back before iPads became so popular to try and get studios to limit the devices movies were viewable on, the directors feared that all their hard work would end up on wristwatches and they didn't want that to happen.

Now digital copies and iTunes is huge business, so no directors' going to turn down extra income.
Thanks so much for your reply!

I had no idea that directors or movie-makers preferred their movies to be watched on big screens. Has anyone like James Cameron ever talked about this?
Old 09-04-2015, 03:13 AM   #28
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2011

I will never, EVER, watch a movie on a laptop or iPod screen.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:08 AM   #29
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey Jack View Post
Here, here!!
Old 09-04-2015, 07:35 AM   #30

Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey Jack View Post
To prevent the same type of 'vision damage' I'm currently experiencing???
Old 09-04-2015, 07:46 AM   #31
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jack View Post
Watching movies on your iPad mini? Why would you even consider doing that?
David Lynch is disgusted that anyone would watch a movie on a phone. "You will never in a trillion years experience the film...you'll be cheated," he says in this clip from the special edition of Inland Empire. While it's obvious that films like Eraserhead demand something better than 480x320 pixels, is Lynch honestly that horrified that someone might want to watch "Failure to Launch" on the subway?

Steven Spielberg, meanwhile, dislikes putting TV and films on laptops, fearing that viewers will get used to actually watching things when they want to. Lynch and Spielberg's sentiments seem noble, but so did United Artists co-founder Mary Pickford's famous declaration, "Adding sound to movies would be like putting lipstick on the Venus de Milo."
Old 09-04-2015, 08:38 AM   #32
Banned

Jan 2014
France

Quote:
Thanks so much for your reply!

I had no idea that directors or movie-makers preferred their movies to be watched on big screens. Has anyone like James Cameron ever talked about this?
Listen to this man. Why anybody would watch a film on a tablet etc. is beyond me

Quote:
Originally Posted by redxrebellion View Post
Here, here!!
It's "Hear, hear"
Old 09-04-2015, 11:44 AM   #33
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Whats right with it?

The video quality would look great on such a tiny screen. My smartphone has a fantastic 5"+ screen but I wouldnt watch films on it!
Old 09-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #34
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Berlin, Germany

I've got a projector so I can watch my Blu-rays in as much a theatrical way as possible, but when I travel I take an iPad with films and drama series on them. I usually pick films which don't rely too much on visuals, documentaries or dramas and comedies which are more dialogue based than visual experiences. So I wouldn't say I'd never watch a film on a small screen, but I wouldn't go as far as watching Gravity or Life of Pi on an iPhone on my way to work.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:02 PM   #35
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia

Look up presbyopia. A shxxty side effect of getting older.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:05 PM   #36
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2011

Quote:
To prevent the same type of 'vision damage' I'm currently experiencing???
No, because the idea of watching a classic, widescreen epic like Lawrence Of Arabia on a screen the size of a Post-It note repulses me.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:42 AM   #37
Banned

Sep 2014
Vegas

Quote:
Hey guys, I only just started using my iPad Mini for watching movies and I've DEFINITELY noticed that when I'm not using my iPad Mini like when I'm outside my eyesight is much 'foggier' when I look at something in the distance like a tree. I always viewed movies on my TV, but I can't use my TV as much anymore so I'll be using the iPad much more as time goes on.

I wear glasses already, but my eyesight seems to just keep getting worse the more I use my iPad...

What can I do to fix this?

Thank you!
Why can't you use your TV as much anymore?
Old 09-05-2015, 02:39 AM   #38
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexIlDottore View Post
Listen to this man. Why anybody would watch a film on a tablet etc. is beyond me
David Lynch's control freak tendencies no doubt help make him a fantastic director but things like refusing to include chapter breaks on DVD releases and this little peevish little rant against people watching movies on phones are hard to take seriously.

People watch movies on airplane headrests all the time. So what?

An entire generation of home video was experienced on 19"-25" screens. And those were the big living room TVs. Smaller 12" screens were also very popular for bedrooms.

Watching movies on small screens is nothing new and the sky has yet to fall.

And where does one draw the line between 'fully experiencing the film' and 'being cheated' anyway? 42"? 50"? 65"? 120"?

Purists can rant all they want but home theater by its very nature is a series of compromises. And purists are no more immune to compromise than anybody else.
Thanks given by:
Mobe1969 (09-05-2015), Todd Tomorrow (09-09-2015)
Old 09-05-2015, 03:49 AM   #39
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2009
New York

Quote:
Thanks a heap for your reply!

Can anyone else please confirm if this information is true?
Is this a joke? Are you trolling? Of course it's true that as one ages, their vision changes. That should be patently obvious. Even kids who have perfect vision as toddlers have vision changes that require them to wear glasses in school.

But there's a big difference between something looking out-of-focus and something looking "foggy". As your eyes change, it's certainly possible that you've developed near-sightedness and therefore something far away looks out of focus (or vice-versa). Astigmatism means the shape of the eyeball (and therefore the focus) is constantly changing. But "foggy" is something else entirely. It just might come down to the fact that you need glasses, if you're not wearing them already. And if you are wearing them already, it's possible that your prescription has changed or you might need progressive lenses (which I wear).

In any case, as so many have already said, go see an optometrist. Every adult should have their eyes checked once a year anyway even if their eyesight is perfect. They'll check the pressure in your eye, among other things.

Watching a movie a day on your iPad shouldn't strain your eyes. But if you're also on the iPad or a computer all day long, it can strain your eyes.
Thanks given by:
Spooked (09-07-2015)
Old 09-05-2015, 03:58 AM   #40
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2009
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
David Lynch's control freak tendencies no doubt help make him a fantastic director but things like refusing to include chapter breaks on DVD releases and this little peevish little rant against people watching movies on phones are hard to take seriously.

People watch movies on airplane headrests all the time. So what?

An entire generation of home video was experienced on 19"-25" screens. And those were the big living room TVs. Smaller 12" screens were also very popular for bedrooms.

Watching movies on small screens is nothing new and the sky has yet to fall.

And where does one draw the line between 'fully experiencing the film' and 'being cheated' anyway? 42"? 50"? 65"? 120"?

Purists can rant all they want but home theater by its very nature is a series of compromises. And purists are no more immune to compromise than anybody else.
I'm going to have to disagree. Watching movies on airplanes completely sucks. I will only watch movies on airplanes that I have no intention of ever seeing some other way. People do so because on an airplane, you have no other choice. People also eat airline food. It doesn't mean they like it.

While it's true that we all watched movies in low resolution on relatively small screens, everyone who did that knew it was no substitute for watching films in a theatre. New films weren't available on TV anyway - it was all old stuff. And unless you lived near a revival theater, there was no choice. When I was a kid, if you wanted to see King Kong or Frankenstein or Citizen Kane, you had to see it on television. (Although when the RKO-General TV stations started playing "Million Dollar Movie" and they first played King Kong in 1959, the ratings were so high that the film got re-released to theaters.)

And while everything is a compromise, including many movie theaters, there are levels of compromise. I can see watching some garbage reality TV show on a phone or Pad, but I would never watch a movie on one. It's not a matter of "the sky is falling". It's a matter of experiencing quality. Like the difference between a transistor radio and a full-fledged hi-fi system. Like the difference between McDonald's and a great steak house. Like the difference between fine handmade furniture from a fine craftsman and the junk they sell in big box stores. Like the difference between a BMW and a Ford Fiesta. Etc.
Thanks given by:
AlexIlDottore (09-06-2015)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat